2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Saint Joseph's University at The University of Rhode Island
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Thomas M. Ryan Center
Kingston, RI
7:00PM (CBSSN)
SENIOR NIGHT
Game Previews:
Providence Journal - Jared Terrell has helped URI reach new heights
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/27 | St. Joe's Hawks | 7PM (CBSSN) (Senior Night)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Going to update as we go here. I've been away all weekend so haven't had the chance to do this yet, but will have a full preview up before Tuesday. Wanted to give you guys a place to get into the game until then.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just hope multiple Rhody players are not knocked out of the game and transported to the hospital as was the case when St Joe's came to Kingston two years ago.

Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......let me guess, Phil Martelli will get a resounding no respect from our fans.......as he should......will be looking at the end of game line to see how Jarvis and he react.....hopefully the emotions of Senior Nite do not over come the unfinished business......
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Still the best mascot attack ever. Flap on hawk.
10 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote:

Still the best mascot attack ever. Flap on hawk.
Love how our best mascot would put his hands to his mouth as if snickering. Too bad current students don't get to see that, because Rhody was badass!!!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The last time we went undefeated at home was 73 years ago.
7 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hate that Hawk. The nonstop flopping is annoying beyond belief.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The last time we went undefeated at home was 73 years ago.
Yet another milestone for Hurley and the boys to achieve.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Wasn't sure if I could make it due to work but was just able to get the night off. Bought 4 tickets in the nosebleeds, very few left!
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Been waiting for 16 years to run the table at the Ryan Center...

LET'S GO!!!!

One more game...

They did it just about every year in OOC but always got tripped up by Xavier, UMass and/or St Joe.
This would be an absolutely huge accomplishment. These 5 seniors can say they're the best group ever after one more game.

Actually they're the best group ever no matter what happens tomorrow, but let's win so they can leave the RC with heads high as
1 - defending A-10 Tourney champs
2 - 2018 A-10 regular season champs
3 - top 20 in the AP and Coaches polls
4 - top 10 in the RPI
5 - the longest winning streak in a single season
and 6 - first team ever to go undefeated at the RC!
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodyrudder wrote:

LET'S GO!!!!

One more game...

They did it just about every year in OOC but always got tripped up by Xavier, UMass and/or St Joe.
This would be an absolutely huge accomplishment. These 5 seniors can say they're the best group ever after one more game.

Actually they're the best group ever no matter what happens tomorrow, but let's win so they can leave the RC with heads high as
4 - top 10 in the RPI
this is the most relaxed I've ever been before a game.

This group is not losing this game. Period.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

FYI everyone, I parked on the Keaney side on Friday, unfortunately running very late. There was no line for security at all. We got right through. If there was a line we probably wouldn't have gotten in until the U16 timeout, but as it turns out, we got in 30 secs in. Missed the tip off, but not much else. Saw Stan's lay up after a steal while waiting for a break to go to my seat. Wish I had seen the Military member repel down with the ball.

Anyway, assuming the other side was a mess on Friday just before 7, it seems like the Keaney side is the way to go.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

shhh

1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

At some point people are going to figure it out and instead of having one really long side and an empty side, then both will be reasonable.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Not only is it senior night its also EZbuckets last game as our Hype guy. I hope some acknowledgement is made to that fact. He has come a long way since he first started. He had a tough task early in his career of trying to get a crowd motivated that didn't have much to get excited about. While his job has gotten a little easier the past year he still hasn't let up. I know I probably don't just speak for myself when I say he will be missed next year and future years.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:shhh

;)

Been there all year. Keep it on the DL
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Find me here before the game...

2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

bpaz11 wrote:Not only is it senior night its also EZbuckets last game as our Hype guy. I hope some acknowledgement is made to that fact. He has come a long way since he first started. He had a tough task early in his career of trying to get a crowd motivated that didn't have much to get excited about. While his job has gotten a little easier the past year he still hasn't let up. I know I probably don't just speak for myself when I say he will be missed next year and future years.
2nd that
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would really love to see 7,720 in attendance for this game to break the 100,000 barrier for the year. Three other games this year had bigger crowds (PC/Davidson/Dayton) so it is possible even though the official capacity is listed at 7,657. It will require all the suites to be filled and student allotment minimally filled.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote:Would really love to see 7,720 in attendance for this game to break the 100,000 barrier for the year. Three other games this year had bigger crowds (PC/Davidson/Dayton) so it is possible even though the official capacity is listed at 7,657. It will require all the suites to be filled and student allotment minimally filled.
Technically we only need 6,357 to hit 100k. You forgot the 1,363 for the Buffalo exhibition game.
0 x
---
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RF1 wrote:Would really love to see 7,720 in attendance for this game to break the 100,000 barrier for the year. Three other games this year had bigger crowds (PC/Davidson/Dayton) so it is possible even though the official capacity is listed at 7,657. It will require all the suites to be filled and student allotment minimally filled.
Technically we only need 6,357 to hit 100k. You forgot the 1,363 for the Buffalo exhibition game.

Exhibitions don't count in the official numbers. This is good from an average perspective as the Buffalo game would severely hurt that number.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

steviep123 wrote:FYI everyone, I parked on the Keaney side on Friday, unfortunately running very late. There was no line for security at all. We got right through. If there was a line we probably wouldn't have gotten in until the U16 timeout, but as it turns out, we got in 30 secs in. Missed the tip off, but not much else. Saw Stan's lay up after a steal while waiting for a break to go to my seat. Wish I had seen the Military member repel down with the ball.

Anyway, assuming the other side was a mess on Friday just before 7, it seems like the Keaney side is the way to go.

That was a Friday night game. Many students had left so there was a bit more available parking on the Keaney side. You are going to have to be there very early or be very lucky to get parking on that side on a Tuesday night. I do always try that lot first as it is much quicker to get out.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyRam86 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:FYI everyone, I parked on the Keaney side on Friday, unfortunately running very late. There was no line for security at all. We got right through. If there was a line we probably wouldn't have gotten in until the U16 timeout, but as it turns out, we got in 30 secs in. Missed the tip off, but not much else. Saw Stan's lay up after a steal while waiting for a break to go to my seat. Wish I had seen the Military member repel down with the ball.

That was a Friday night game. Many students had left so there was a bit more available parking on the Keaney side. You are going to have to be there very early or be very lucky to get parking on that side on a Tuesday night. I do always try that lot first as it is much quicker to get out.
Actually, it was pretty packed. We had to wait for someone to leave a spot that was (probably) coming out of Boss Arena. Though we were trying to park between Boss and Mackel, so didn't get a good look at the main Keaney lot.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Okay, I clearly have too much time on my hands today. I just counted and including obstructed view, there are 547 tickets available, all but 4 of these are in the 300 level. Of these 547 seats, 95 are listed as obstructed. Here is the breakdown by section (the first number is the total number of seats with the number of obstructed in parentheses):

302: 137 (8 of these obstructed)
303: 28 (12)
309: 87
310: 23 (9)
313: 46 (19)
314: 145 (18)
203: 4 (2)

These sections only have obstructed view seats left:

304: 9
305: 2
306: 5
307: 15
308: 6
311: 5
312: 8
201: 1
207: 4
211: 6
213: 5

So in total, there appears to be 452 non obstructed view seats and 95 obstructed view for a total of 547. All but 4 of these are in the 300 level.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:Okay, I clearly have too much time on my hands today. I just counted and including obstructed view, there are 547 tickets available, all but 4 of these are in the 300 level. Of these 547 seats, 95 are listed as obstructed. Here is the breakdown by section (the first number is the total number of seats with the number of obstructed in parentheses):

So in total, there appears to be 452 non obstructed view seats and 95 obstructed view for a total of 547. All but 4 of these are in the 300 level.
So, we're going to need the students for this one. Over 2000 seats left the day before the game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Okay, I clearly have too much time on my hands today. I just counted and including obstructed view, there are 547 tickets available, all but 4 of these are in the 300 level. Of these 547 seats, 95 are listed as obstructed. Here is the breakdown by section (the first number is the total number of seats with the number of obstructed in parentheses):

So, we're going to need the students for this one. Over 2000 seats left the day before the game.
I think the students have shown up very well and no need question if they will for Senior Night. Just make sure we have balloons!!!!!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes! The balloons were awesome!
0 x
JoeCabrey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JoeCabrey »

The student allotment minimally filled? A nationally ranked team leading the conference and Senior Night and you don't expect a packed student turnout in one of the nicest buildings in the A10? Has the student attendance not been strong for this very accomplished team?

I ask not to criticize but rather because I've had several conversations about what different schools even major football schools are trying to combat falling student attendance at games.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

JoeCabrey wrote:
The student allotment minimally filled? A nationally ranked team leading the conference and Senior Night and you don't expect a packed student turnout in one of the nicest buildings in the A10? Has the student attendance not been strong for this very accomplished team?

I ask not to criticize but rather because I've had several conversations about what different schools even major football schools are trying to combat falling student attendance at games.
To be fair, I believe the reference was to the 1,500 student allotment. That would be minimally. Students taking their 1,500+ would be maximizing student attendance.
0 x
JoeCabrey
Frenchy Tomlin

Got it thanks and except for tomorrow of course or the unlikely event we meet a second time this year good luck the rest of the way. I've seen a few games and it looks like a club that has an excellent chance to be playing in the second weekend of the tournament or more.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Balloons again for this game
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for the comments JoeCabrey, The student allotment is capped at 1500 and when the game is sold out well in advance, the number of students who get in never rises above that level. In cases of week night games when ticket sales tend to slough off, the Ryan ticket office allows in additional students to fill the seats that would otherwise be empty. The record number of students at a game of this type was in the 2800 range. For St. Joe's game, I expect more students will be allowed in, but only if the walk up crowd does not significantly materialize, but given the special circumstance surrounding this game, the walk-up crowd should be large. But either way, I expect a full house for this game.

I know that the St. Bona student cap is 900 students. What is the St. Joe's student cap?

BTW, nice job on the Hawks message board.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Fans should wear Keaney blue tomorrow

1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodyrudder wrote:

LET'S GO!!!!

One more game...

4 - top 10 in the RPI
this is the most relaxed I've ever been before a game.

This group is not losing this game. Period.
Relaxed, yet sort of sad to see them one last time in Kingston. but GO RAMS.
1 x
GO RAMS
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

very accurate title "Athletes Not Actors" someone mentioned with the first one that it reminds them of the commercial made in major league and that is probably the best way to describe it
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Senior night for far too many years would find me wondering if we could somehow make the NIT (of the other 2 post-season runner up tournaments) and then would we get a home game so that we could watch our seniors play a bit more on the home floor.

This is one in what I hope is a string of many senior nights where we are only worried about seeds and first round locations and what we have to do to adjust our schedules and lives and get tickets to the game and get accommodations and flights to the venue....

.....this worry is much more enjoyable.....and makes Senior Night so much better for players and fans.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
JoeCabrey
Frenchy Tomlin

Obadiah wrote:Thanks for the comments JoeCabrey, The student allotment is capped at 1500 and when the game is sold out well in advance, the number of students who get in never rises above that level. In cases of week night games when ticket sales tend to slough off, the Ryan ticket office allows in additional students to fill the seats that would otherwise be empty. The record number of students at a game of this type was in the 2800 range. For St. Joe's game, I expect more students will be allowed in, but only if the walk up crowd does not significantly materialize, but given the special circumstance surrounding this game, the walk-up crowd should be large. But either way, I expect a full house for this game.

I know that the St. Bona student cap is 900 students. What is the St. Joe's student cap?

BTW, nice job on the Hawks message board.
At Hagan Arena the student section holds 1200 and thanks.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This game is going to be crazy good. 3,000 rally towels AND the balloons!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

I think the students have shown up very well and no need question if they will for Senior Night. Just make sure we have balloons!!!!!!
I don’t think there are 2,000 seats left. I believe they set aside 1,000 for students. I also believe there have been a decent # of tickets sold since Steve counted. I checked the dots on a few sections and they are now half the number from when Steve counted. Lastly, I believe they release unsold seats in Sec 302 & 303 for additional students prior to the start of the game. We sit in Sec 304 and several times the students have filled seats right next to us in 303. With it being a weekday game I am expecting a student turnout similar to the last Tuesday night game. SELLOUT!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: So, we're going to need the students for this one. Over 2000 seats left the day before the game.
I don’t think there are 2,000 seats left. I believe they set aside 1,000 for students. I also believe there have been a decent # of tickets sold since Steve counted. I checked the dots on a few sections and they are now half the number from when Steve counted. Lastly, I believe they release unsold seats in Sec 302 & 303 for additional students prior to the start of the game. We sit in Sec 304 and several times the students have filled seats right next to us in 303. With it being a weekday game I am expecting a student turnout similar to the last Tuesday night game. SELLOUT!
Students get 1500. I just counted 461 others. But I agree. It will be a sellout.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just counted 317 (green dots) with 108 of those in Sections 302 & 303 (I still believe they open those for students).
I looked on my laptop and my iPad. They both show some areas in sections that are blank (no green or gray dots - I think that is around stairs etc).

My count by section around 8:15 PM
302: 94
303: 14
307: 17
308: 43
309: 84
310: 3
313: 24
314: 33
All 200s: 5
total 317

Steve's count around 5:00 PM
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The green dots are the unobstructed. The tiny eyeglasses are the obstructed.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't look forward to this senior night because I want to look forward not backward. When we lose our last game of this season, it will be the time for me to look back and recognize the great contributions that all the seniors have made at one time or another during their URI career and this season. The upcoming games are the ones that I want the seniors to remember the most.

I look back to last season where the loss to Fordham propelled the team to finish strong. This season the loss at SBU followed by a weak performance at LaSalle and dismal start against Dayton were the nadir of the 2017-2018 season. I'm looking forward to a strong finish this season against St Joe's and Davidson, another A10 championship and a good run in the NCAAs. This is the memory to which I'm looking forward and find it difficult to immortalize these seniors until its over. Still, I'll stand and cheer because this is when tradition says we recognize the seniors. GO RHODY!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The green dots are the unobstructed. The tiny eyeglasses are the obstructed.
There are 114 obstructed (eyeglasses) seats in the 300s and 16 obstructed in the 200s. I total of 130 obstructed seats.
That would bring the revised total of unsold seats to 447. I can't believe the obstructed seats in the 200s aren't gone. In most cases it is "obstructed" because a railing bar is in your view towards the court.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The green dots are the unobstructed. The tiny eyeglasses are the obstructed.
There are 114 obstructed (eyeglasses) seats in the 300s and 16 obstructed in the 200s. I total of 130 obstructed seats.
That would bring the revised total of unsold seats to 447. I can't believe the obstructed seats in the 200s aren't gone. In most cases it is "obstructed" because a railing bar is in your view towards the court.
I know I've sat in plenty of "Obstructed view" seats and I've never seen anything that actually obstructed my view of the game. Like R83 wrote, maybe a railing bar that is in your line of site or a gate, or a Plexiglas divider preventing someone from falling down to the 200 level from the 300 level, but none of these affected my view of the court.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

section(105) wrote:......let me guess, Phil Martelli will get a resounding no respect from our fans.......as he should......will be looking at the end of game line to see how Jarvis and he react.....hopefully the emotions of Senior Nite do not over come the unfinished business......
I know the most hated team in the A10 is supposed to be UMASS, but for me it's St. Joe's by a long shot
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Ram1019 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......let me guess, Phil Martelli will get a resounding no respect from our fans.......as he should......will be looking at the end of game line to see how Jarvis and he react.....hopefully the emotions of Senior Nite do not over come the unfinished business......
I know the most hated team in the A10 is supposed to be UMASS, but for me it's St. Joe's by a long shot
yup, and because of Martelli. cant stand that pompous, smug, full of himself POS. I have never heard him pump up the other A10 teams in the media, its always put downs. He is bad for the A10 because he only cares about himself.

And he looks like the Sam the Eagle muppet...

2 x
---
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

or...
Attachments
Phillenstein.PNG
7 x