Senior night

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior night

Unread post by neil »

I tried to remember if there was a senior night with five or more players. The only one I came up with was 2004-2005 where there were six, Kalapos, Wise, Brooks, Hazelton, Dawan, and Momplaisir. (Not sure if I’m right). The five we honor on Tuesday go way beyond that group. As of them contributed significantly to one of the greatest teams in the history of the program. Please feel free to add your thoughts about them.

Andre-the first time I saw Andre was at a pre season practice many years ago. Looking at him, I figured he would never get off the bench. When he did play he appeared to be the people’s choice- the fan favorite. What he did to prepare for this year was remarkable. He became a starter on a championship team. Who would have thunk it, and he will be able to tell that story for years to come to friends and family. Thanks Andre s great future awaits you.

Stan - the line about Stan was that the transfer from Indiana was good defense and not much offensively. Wow, have things changed. What will I remember most? The shot against the dukes? The 18 points against Creighton? The numerous steals that led to instant offense? I will take this. When someone takes a charge and you watch the pile unfold and one the bottom you see the player with the white headband getting up off the floor. That will tell you all you need to know. MVP? Absolutely! Best of luck.

Jarvis- a true class act. Over 900 points, but that hardly tells the story. Playing with a mask, playing with serious stomach problems,losing his starting position without sulking, being an excellent father to his twins, being the first to congratulate coach after the Virginia commonwealth game last year - the list goes on and on. This team is that much better with Jarvis on it. Best of luck.

Jared- the complete player, the warrior, the person who plays with passion and fun at the same time, a man amongst boys, whether hitting the big shots against Nebraska as a freshman or making the shot against Seton hall as a senior, he exemplified how basketball should be played. What a future lies ahead! When choosing up sides in a pick up game, there is only one person to choose- our leader and captain. Thank you JT.

EC - Some people might think that EC’s biggest contribution was when he signed on the dotted line which changed the direction of ram basketball. No one has a bigger heart than him. Major injuries did not deter him when it could. He was a cheerleader for his team mates and a winner on the court. He will leave the program as one of the most prolific scorers. Close your eyes and remember the slam dunk against Davidson followed by hundreds of other memories. Thank you EC.

Please get there early on Tuesday. You too will be able to tell your family you were there when they honored the bedt class ever. They have not yet written their final chapter.

Thank you Seniors!!!!
27 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Senior night

Unread post by neil »

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs

Neil - hope you don't mind, but I edited paragraph breaks into your post to make it a little easier to read. Great job, as always!

TP
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

And spelling
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does anyone know what time the Sr Night festivities will start (with 5 Seniors)?
Between the sellout crowd and Sr Night we will need to get there early.
Do you think they will open up early like they did for the PC game?
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thank you, Neil, for this excellent annual Senior Night Tribute.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

It's gonna be a tough one Tuesday. The last 3 of the Hurley 1st wave are saying goodbye.

EC - what can I say except thank you. You and Hass got this whole thing going by believing in Dan and taking a chance on us. It was a treat to watch you on offense. The way it all seemed so effortless and smooth. You are up there with the greats to ever play here. It was a rollercoaster going through the ups and the downs of injuries you had but you always came back better.

Terrell - If EC is smooth, you are the toughness. Truly look and play like a linebacker out there. No one is stopping you from getting the shot you want. Most importantly you bring that same fire to playing defense. You let us know from day 1 you don't lose knocking down those 2 3 pointers in OT against Nebraska. One of the most complete guards we've seen.

Garrett - The quickness, vision and creativity on both sides of the ball were a blast to watch. You may rival Terrell for the toughest on the team. When you played through the broken face with the mask and elevated your play that sums up your heart. You are also a great teammate and leader. You could've sulked when Jeff took your spot but you manned up and accepted your new role. A true team first player.

Stan - Our garbage man, and that is a high compliment. You do whatever is needed to win. Rebounds, steals, charges, scoring. It was a blast watching you manned up on a guard all game and seeing them get more and more frustrated. You are the glue guy that all teams want to have. It's also fun this year seeing your personality more and seeing how much of a character and joker you are.

Berry - You're the epitome of hard work. You could've easily gone to a lower level conference and feasted against the competition but you didn't. You wanted more. You put in an incredible amount of work to make yourself better and get into the shape you needed. If only every player had that much heart. You also are incredibly smooth in the post and have some of the softest hands a big man could have. I really enjoyed watching you get the payoff of all that sacrifice this year.
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
11 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Big night. We can’t wait.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great tribute summary, Da process!!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

You too, neil. Great heart in expressing how we all feel about this team and the seniors!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Excited!!!

Bringing the full frame Nikon hoping for keepers!!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Great thread! I always get a little sad to see players move on, but always feel so grateful for the best of their efforts.

neil and DaPS great tributes!

Each of you (seniors) have done some really special things in helping this program get to where it is. I can't express enough gratitude, in a way you've made our lives better, your hard work and fortitude is inspiring and humbling. I wish you all peaceful, happy and prosperous lives.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

are they passing out tissues at the gates for the ceremony Tuesday?
5 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My thoughts of this group are around two breakthrough events.
Their celebration after the buzzer in the A10 Championship last year. Their faces and actions were so genuine - they showed “we did it, we made it,we are going to the dance”.
The second was as the game ended against Creighton the joy that Stan and Jared showed. It said to me “we belong here, let’s keep this going”. They came over to the Rhody section in Sacramento to a standing ovation.
I will never forget those two moments.

See ya Tuesday!
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Awesome posts by Neil and the Survivor!

The school should video the Senior Night ceremony and then put it on You Tube so it can be seen by everyone.

EZ Buckets should also get recognition during the game for his retirement. Hopefully he changes his mind and stays with it.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

eli#10 wrote:Awesome posts by Neil and the Survivor!

The school should video the Senior Night ceremony and then put it on You Tube so it can be seen by everyone.

EZ Buckets should also get recognition during the game for his retirement. Hopefully he changes his mind and stays with it.
Amen Amen Amen!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes would love to see that on you tube
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Look forward to Neil's senior post every season. Tuesday night will be the most special one ever!
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I will unfortunately not be able to make senior night on Tuesday. But seeing Hurley take out the seniors with 3 minutes left to hugs and loud applause was almost senior nightish. I hope that the pregame ceremonies will be shown live, or streamed, or available later. I really hope to get to see it somehow.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I always get to games well before the start. For me, part of the show is seeing the Ramettes do their thing followed by the lights going down and EZ revving up the crowd...pep band playing the fight song....the team coming out of the locker room...right through to the video montage and introduction of the starting line ups. No idea why people don't make a greater effort to get to their seats to enjoy this.

I know it can be hard coming from work for a 7 pm start, but this only happens once a year. Do whatever you can to get there early. I hope Tuesday night is different. Would love to see a full house BEFORE the ceremonies start. For one, it is always a great show for the fans, but more importantly, these kids deserve the respect.

Go Rhody!
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I hope we are in a position again where all 5 seniors can be taken out at the same time before the end of the game. The crowd may blow the roof off the building. It will be quite the scene and LOUD!!!!!!!
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’ve cried on previous Senior Nights. This one I’ll be inconsolable. What a wonderful season! God Bless these guys wherever they go.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Taylor Swift wrote:I’ve cried on previous Senior Nights. This one I’ll be inconsolable. What a wonderful season! God Bless these guys wherever they go.
Me too. I admit I cried when TJ kissed the Ram at half court.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Good news: My wife surprised me with a trip to Arizona for my 60th!

Bad news: We leave today and I had to give up my ticket.

I'll catch the stream, though. And thanks to these amazing five seniors for reviving my long dormant passion for my Rhody Rams!!!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyRam86 wrote:I always get to games well before the start. For me, part of the show is seeing the Ramettes do their thing followed by the lights going down and EZ revving up the crowd...pep band playing the fight song....the team coming out of the locker room...right through to the video montage and introduction of the starting line ups. No idea why people don't make a greater effort to get to their seats to enjoy this.

I know it can be hard coming from work for a 7 pm start, but this only happens once a year. Do whatever you can to get there early. I hope Tuesday night is different. Would love to see a full house BEFORE the ceremonies start. For one, it is always a great show for the fans, but more importantly, these kids deserve the respect.

Go Rhody!
A - Freakin' - men!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Has it been announced what time the ceremony starts? I assume it would be 6:30, but possibly even earlier with 5 of them being honored?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I posted this in the game thread, but I unfortunately was running very late, and didn't get parked (on the Keaney side) until almost 6:55 pm. There was NO LINE in security and while we missed tip off, we only missed about 20 seconds. I saw Stan's lay up after a steal while waiting for a break in the action to go to our seats. That included a quick trip to the men's room. The Keaney side might be the way to go.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:I posted this in the game thread, but I unfortunately was running very late, and didn't get parked (on the Keaney side) until almost 6:55 pm. There was NO LINE in security and while we missed tip off, we only missed about 20 seconds. I saw Stan's lay up after a steal while waiting for a break in the action to go to our seats. That included a quick trip to the men's room. The Keaney side might be the way to go.
I normally get to the game at least an hour before tipoff, so parking is always easy. I won't be able to get to the RC until about 6:45 tomorrow. Sucks because I know I'm going to miss part of the ceremony. Question is, which lot is better to park when it's close to game time?
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

neil wrote:Stan - ... What will I remember most?
What I will remember for the rest of my life from Stan is his game saving block at the end of regulation against Davidson's Will Magarity last season in the final game of the season. I strongly believe if it wasn't for that block (& if URI doesn't win the A10 tournament), Rhody doesn't make the tournament. How he flew out of nowhere for that block to save a definite loss was unbelievable. I have talked to him briefly two times after that play (once at the end of the year rally they had after the season finished & the open practice at the beginning of this season) & both times said "I still don't know how you made that fucking block against Davidson. Thank you!"

Everyone remembers that game for EC's breakout OT & his dunk that proved he could trust his knee. None of that would have been possible if it wasn't for Stan's block.
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote:I normally get to the game at least an hour before tipoff, so parking is always easy. I won't be able to get to the RC until about 6:45 tomorrow. Sucks because I know I'm going to miss part of the ceremony. Question is, which lot is better to park when it's close to game time?
North lot. With the students in town, the south lot has been VERY packed. You will be lucky to get a spot at that time.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

spookydog wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:I normally get to the game at least an hour before tipoff, so parking is always easy. I won't be able to get to the RC until about 6:45 tomorrow. Sucks because I know I'm going to miss part of the ceremony. Question is, which lot is better to park when it's close to game time?
North lot. With the students in town, the south lot has been VERY packed. You will be lucky to get a spot at that time.
I park in the north and if I'm running later or see a line outside the north my wife and I just walk a little further under the west football field stands to the south lobby and walk right in with our tickets.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Sorry, I'm direction-ally challenged. Which is Keaney side? North or south?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:Sorry, I'm direction-ally challenged. Which is Keaney side? North or south?
S
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

They have to open up the doors before 6:00 if they want to avoid a logjam at the entrances. I think people will make an effort to get there early and it can only benefit to have extra time to get people in . Am I correct to assume that they'd have to start the ceremonies at 6:40/6:45 the latest in order to maintain a 7:00 start?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just look at the baby face in this link. They grow up so fast! :)
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... c-matthews

Definitely going to be an emotional night, but a good one. Dan couldn’t even watch Hassan’s highlight video before the game last season. Things were so uncertain a year ago with regards to the tournament. This year, a regular season conference title and 6 straight weeks in the Top 25 is already in the books. I hope they can all enjoy it and get the W.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:Just look at the baby face in this link. They grow up so fast! :)
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... c-matthews

Definitely going to be an emotional night, but a good one. Dan couldn’t even watch Hassan’s highlight video before the game last season. Things were so uncertain a year ago with regards to the tournament. This year, a regular season conference title and 6 straight weeks in the Top 25 is already in the books. I hope they can all enjoy it and get the W.
I'm sure it will be emotional for sure, but do think it should have much more of a celebration vibe this year.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Good thread from Koch:

Game story followed by several quotes that were not in the story.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Not much to add, starting with Neil's customary elegant send-off for our seniors.

Two things I want to echo / expand upon:
-- Jarvis has been the ultimate class act. He lost his starting job because of his injury, but never lost his motor. Despite having his face broken by one of Frankenstein's monsters, he continues to hurtle himself into traffic to get to the basket.
-- No question that Stan literally saved our season last year. Just for that one block, his name should be included in the Rhody Ring of Honor. He's also the most complete player I've seen in my 45-odd years following URI. The only guy who could do as many things that I can was Mike Brown, but he didn't play with Stan's edge.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:Good thread from Koch:

I know this is an era of positionless basketball . Let's put that aside for a minute. Is Jared the best SG to ever wear Keaney Blue. The only one I can think of is Tommy Garrick, and they are pretty similar. I'd put both of them slightly ahead of EC and Jimmy Baron. Most of our greatest players have been either PGs or forwards. That's why I think Jared might be our best SG ever.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:

I know this is an era of positionless basketball . Let's put that aside for a minute. Is Jared the best SG to ever wear Keaney Blue. The only one I can think of is Tommy Garrick, and they are pretty similar. I'd put both of them slightly ahead of EC and Jimmy Baron. Most of our greatest players have been either PGs or forwards. That's why I think Jared might be our best SG ever.
Mobley and Garrick are our 2 best SGs
1 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:

Ok. I'll give you that. Can't believe I forgot about Cat. Is Jared 3rd?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:

There's probably a slew of them from before the mid 80s that were well before my time, but since the 80s, there's Garrick, Mobley, Baron in that order. (Though I'd be willing to listen to a counterpoint of Mobley 1, Garrick 2). JT definitely has a similar body type to Garrick. JT is definitely top five since the 80s. I would also have Xavier Munford in there. In only two seasons (61 games), he scored 1045 points, an average of 17.1 per game. On the surface, pretty on par with what JT is doing in the scoring department. JT and X's career FG %s are similar, with X a bit higher overall, but JT's 3 point shooting % higher, especially this year. X was the fastest to reach 1000 points at the time (I think this is still true - by comparison, EC Matthews scored 999 points in his first 2 seasons, spanning 64 games. I'd have a top 5 of Garrick, Mobley, Baron, Munford, JT, with EC just outside of that.

All that said, JT and EC will both be remembered as two of the greats just as much for their abilities on the court as for helping getting this all started!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI email regarding tonight's game:

Important Information About Your Event

Please consider the following information as you plan your trip tonight to the Ryan Center to watch the #17 team in the country and 2018 A-10 Men's Basketball Regular Season Champions, University of Rhode Island take on Saint Joseph's presented by Cox and Dave's Marketplace at 7:00 pm (doors will open at 6:00 pm). First 3,500 fans in attendance will receive a special Senior Night Jersey Rally Towel courtesy of Cox.

SENIOR NIGHT CEREMONY

Tonight we will honor five seniors that played a major role in building Rhode Island Men's Basketball into a nationally ranked program and the defending Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Tournament Champions. Senior ceremony festivities will begin at approximately 6:40 pm. We ask that fans please take that into consideration as they plan their trip tonight and ARRIVE EARLY as we send our seniors out with a full house. To help expedite metal detector lines, please have pockets empty and personal items in hand as you approach security checkpoints. Remember, no backpacks or large bags are permitted inside the facility.
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

If the word "bittersweet" could ever be used to describe a day it would be this one. I was a freshman when EC committed, and although a life-long URI fan thanks to my parents and older siblings, have always felt like it was his commitment that sparked my true obsession with URI MBB. Countless times I, like many in this chat I'm sure, attended games by myself because interest in the program was so low. Although the athleticism of Hassan was astounding, it was the purity of an EC Matthews drive that begin to give people hope. In his five years in Kingston we went from a hopeful team, to a competitive team, to a talented team, to a program.

JT and Jarvis have been beyond incredible, and deserve paragraphs worth of praise. Stan and Andre are also worthy of many thanks. I can't love those four guys more than I do, but something about EC will always give me and many others that feeling of what it was like to see this all begin.

I wasn't old enough to remember the late 90's run, so for me URI basketball success, with the exception of the few good runs in the late 2000s, begins and ends with DH and EC.

Thanks EC, and thanks JT, JG, SR and AB. WHAT a class.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: I know this is an era of positionless basketball . Let's put that aside for a minute. Is Jared the best SG to ever wear Keaney Blue. The only one I can think of is Tommy Garrick, and they are pretty similar. I'd put both of them slightly ahead of EC and Jimmy Baron. Most of our greatest players have been either PGs or forwards. That's why I think Jared might be our best SG ever.
Ok. I'll give you that. Can't believe I forgot about Cat. Is Jared 3rd?
I'd say so. Jimmy is the best shooter, by far. But Terrell is a more dynamic scorer, and is on an entire different level defensively.
1 x
---
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Low Ticket Alert tweet that was just sent out said the ceremonies will start at 630.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote:The Low Ticket Alert tweet that was just sent out said the ceremonies will start at 630.
Who's the tweet from? The @RhodyMBB Twitter account still says 6:40 (though if I was going, I'd make damn sure I was in the arena as soon as the doors opened).
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Attachments
26ADE685-E9A0-4DE8-B215-E90ADC6DC060.png
0 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This interview with Coach Hurley epitomizes what he brings to our seniors and to the program. In an era of Win At All Costs, he reminds us that it's about helping young men become better people, not individual glory:

2 x