Travel to NCAA

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
skiguy7777
Jim Eitner

Travel to NCAA

Unread post by skiguy7777 »

Thinking ahead - if we get sent to San Diego or, God Forbid, Boise - any advice on flights ie out of PVD or Logan into ?; and hotels - where are the arenas?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Travel to NCAA

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm hearing it's about 11 hours to Boise.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Expensive flights to Boise. When I last looked it was $844 out of Prov and the flight was 10 1/2 hours (4 1/2 hour layover).
I didn't check Boston.
Boise games are on Thurs & Sat so you fly Weds & Sun - 4 nights hotel. I didn't consider flying a red eye.
The arena is the Taco Bell Arena. There are a lot of reasonably price hotels near the arena.

San Diego when I last looked was $520 out of Prov and the flight was 9 hours out and 7 1/2 hours back. I didn't check Boston.
Games are Fri & Sun so you fly Thur & Mon - 4 nights hotel. I didn't consider flying a red eye.
The arena is the Viejas Arena (SDSU). Some hotels in area as low as $300 total for the 4 nights.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The thing about the flights, we find out where they are playing on March 11. The games start on March 15. The price for a flight 4 days before you fly jumps quite i bit.

Does anyone know Bob Kraft? Maybe we can charter one of the Patriots planes?
Last edited by theblueram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am hoping for San Diego as I can drive there

How does the tickets to the game usually work ??
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can’t make the A10 so I’m really making an attempt for the big dance. Sounds expensive though, but it’s a great opportunity.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you are a season ticket holder you can enter to buy tickets through URI. I believe the details come in an email either Sunday night or Monday morning. You can also buy them online through a ticket broker. There were also tickets available last year that people were selling outside the arena or thru craigslist.

Rhodymob, URI also offers a package of a flight and tickets. I am not sure if it is less expensive or not.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t think their were any school organized packages last year to Sacto?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Logan to San Diego usually costs me like 500 round trip to fly I think
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I specifically asked Thorr if the University would be putting together a charter trip for fans to go together to wherever we are assigned....

.....he said the likelihood of that happening was very, very slim.....so I'm planning on my own arrangements the instant we find out where we are playing....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If anybody needs recommendations on San Diego options don't be afraid to hit me up.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Boise or San Diego

Ugh

Any other site would be so much more manageable for me.

Especially Nashville. I got an uncle that lives there so I wouldn't have to pay for a hotelllll

Oh well

Whatever's best for Rhody works for me!
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

adam914 wrote:If anybody needs recommendations on San Diego options don't be afraid to hit me up.
adams offering to house everyone??? party at adam's bring your own air mattress haha
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

The longer u wait the more they go up.

If you book southwest and cancel it you can use the credit towards a future trip. So book everywhere :D
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

I heard Dallas will be region?
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

First/Sevond round sites are - Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Detroit, Dallas, Nashville, Wichita, Boise & San Diego.
If Rhody is a 4 or 5 seed it appears the most likely sites are Boise & San Diego.
If Rhody is a 3 or 6 seed it appears the most likely sites are Dallas(2x), Nashville & Wichita.
Pack your bags for a long trip.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

If we end up with a 6 I really would love Nashville, party city USA these days.

Tough part is, I’ve seen brackets with URI as an 4,5, and 6 seed.
1 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramulous wrote:I specifically asked Thorr if the University would be putting together a charter trip for fans to go together to wherever we are assigned....

.....he said the likelihood of that happening was very, very slim.....so I'm planning on my own arrangements the instant we find out where we are playing....
Too bad the Pats won't give us that plane that's just sitting out there.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UCH21377 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I specifically asked Thorr if the University would be putting together a charter trip for fans to go together to wherever we are assigned....

Too bad the Pats won't give us that plane that's just sitting out there.

The two Pats planes are always available for rental charter flights when not being used by the team. Given the amenities and lesser number of seats on them, I would however guess they are far more expensive and less cost effective than other coach type planes.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I really don't understand how the logistics today are worse than they were back in the day when the school did charters which included flight, hotel and tickets.......it should be easier now to do this.....have a provider set up the deal so that no university personnel are involved....it has to be done around the country with other schools for their fans....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Maybe the costs are prohibitive now as opposed to way back when and they don't think they will get enough people to buy the packages.....I wonder what a break even number would be......150 people?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Ramulous-translation=they don't want to.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Come on Dallas..... 3 hour drive for me. We lose a game, we are most likely a 6 seed. Actually could be an easier path to a second weekend.
Last edited by Mongo 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Usually if you donate enough you can get on the t am charter if there are open seats.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Blue Man......I only donate enough to get stuffed into the luggage stowage below the plane.....
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:
adam914 wrote:If anybody needs recommendations on San Diego options don't be afraid to hit me up.
adams offering to house everyone??? party at adam's bring your own air mattress haha
Hell yeah! I make a hell of an eggs benedict to, included for all guests. As long as you don't mind the help being drunk before noon on game days.
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ramulous wrote:Blue Man......I only donate enough to get stuffed into the luggage stowage below the plane.....
It’s better than nothing!!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe round trip on the team charter last year (to fill open seats) was $720.
I think the NCAA provides the team charter for all NCAA Tournament games. If they do, they probably control the price.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

A bargain at any price.....
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote:A bargain at any price.....
Last year they flew the red eye right after the Oregon game. Left for the airport right from the arena.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm seeing flights for 3-4 hundred bucks to San Diego as of today, quite a jump to $720.
0 x
GO RAMS
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

Frontier now flies from PVD to Boise. I bought my wife a plane ticket there to see her sister for her spring break in April. It was $140 one way and that included a checked bag. Also it is normally cheaper, it was only that expensive because it falls during school break. So frontier could be a cheap option to Boise.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Doesn't look like you can get a Frontier flight before April 8....which is "juuuuust a bit outside..."

Beginning to think the 'save it for week 2' strategy is looking better all the time....
Is there any kind of miracle path to Charlotte or Pittsburgh or even Detroit?
I mean, I know the seeding/site puzzle is harder than a Rubik's cube...but is it possible?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Flight availability and costs change all the time.
Currently Prov to SD round trip is $632 and Prov to Boise round trip is $786. I didn't look at red eyes for either return.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Doesn't look like you can get a Frontier flight before April 8....which is "juuuuust a bit outside..."

Beginning to think the 'save it for week 2' strategy is looking better all the time....
I mean, I know the seeding/site puzzle is harder than a Rubik's cube...but is it possible?
Right now on bracket matrix 26 out 83 brackets have Rhody as a 6 or 7 and 57 brackets have them as a 4 or 5.
I believe a 6 or 7 seed would move them out of Boise and SD.
I guess the other way their location could get changed is if a team that is currently projected as a 1 or 2 seed gets knocked down to a 3 or 4 seed. The new 1 or 2 seed could be from a different region and cause everything to move around. RJ would be the best to answer that.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm going to game 1. I'd rather not take the gamble. I'm thinking six seed when the dust clears.
0 x
GO RAMS
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Is it possible we are in the East and play at TD garden if we make the sweet 16? Or are there rules against that?
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes that is possible and would be like a home game for us
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Doesn't look like you can get a Frontier flight before April 8....which is "juuuuust a bit outside..."

As a 4 or 5 seed it's going to be almost impossible to go to not get sent to SD or Boise. A 6 seed would open up Detroit Charlotte and Pitt.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

The San Diego flights, other than being long, are not priced all that bad. Not much more than the hour flight to DC actually. Forget Boise thought, terrible all the way around.
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Speaking of DC, if you want to save $100, JetBlue out of Boston is pretty cheap right now. You could also put your life in God's hands and take a roundtrip out of Boston on Spirit airline for $127.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The only way that a 4/5 seed could be anywhere but Boise or San Diego is if Arizona or Gonzaga end up as a 3 seed. That would mean that one of the 4/5 would not be in Boise/SD and instead I think would likely be in either Nashville, Wichita or Dallas.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well nobody has to worry about those San Diego or Boise flights anymore.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote:Well nobody has to worry about those San Diego or Boise flights anymore.
Pittsburgh? Charlotte?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

6 seeds look like Dallas (2 teams), Nashville, Wichita.
0 x