2/23 | Dayton Flyers | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/23 | Dayton Flyers | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by reef »

Wow what a quote from Tyson says a lot !!

If we play like we did starting the 2h then we got a shot to go a long way in March especially if we get the right matchups

Enjoy the ride boys and girls !!
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That second half run was breathtaking. Dowtin was really really good. Love that mid range game he's developing. Only sad part is that we only have one more home game to watch.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ace wrote:
Goosebumps
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote:Two games tonight. The first 15 minutes and the last 25 minutes. In the first game Batman and Batman were Badman and NOWhereman. If first impressions matter before a national TV audience, then we laid an egg and had watchers turning to other channels. In the final 25 minutes game we were excellent on defense which ignited the offense. Jeff Dowtin took control of game 2.

Sorry seniors, but Jeff Dowtin is my team MVP this season and my choice as captain next year as a junior. The former will never happen even though he should be a first team all conference selection (my opinion) which will probably not happen either because the voters favor seniors. URI is awful when Jeff is not on the court. He makes everyone on the team better.
Hey Rhody wins their first outright regular season league title, BUT LET’S STILL COMPLAIN! Agree with the blue ram, what a horrible take.

Didn’t we just have a thread about the negativity talk. Everyone’s entitled to their comments and views of the game, but you’re a jackass. Enjoy this historical ride

I’m sure I’m in the majority who were watching and DID NOT change the channel after 15.

Haha what’s up with this guy, GTFOH
3 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

That's just '72 nice to have him back to normal I guess
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but the students need balloons every game, they emphasized the student section so much in the second half
Last edited by twisted3829 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I have a complaint:

Every moron who left the game with 5 minutes left.

I hate you. You should lose your right to buy tickets. You don’t deserve this team.

The fact that Vanner had to even announce that something was going to happen is pathetic.

This team deserves better fans than that.

Thankfully those of us that stayed gave them what felt like a heroes walk off.

In the not complaint department:

Students with balloons.

Everything URI did on the court.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So glad I was able to enjoy this from Section 213 with my buddy! Sadly I will be out of town for Seniors Night, but this one was pretty damn special.

I just love it when our team goes on one of its epic runs and rips the heart out of the opponent. Can't wait for it to happen in March!!!
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Twisted, I ceded my title of Chief Doomer to 72 a while back......
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Also, Fatts rejection of a 3-pointer launched by a guy AT LEAST half-a-foot taller is one of my favorite plays of all time!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeteRI wrote:Also, Fatts rejection of a 3-pointer launched by a guy AT LEAST half-a-foot taller is one of my favorite plays of all time!
I need to see the replay of where he came from he looked like he was leading on the break and then got all the way back on the block.

He’s great.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man - I think I said to you or ATP during the ceremony that there were more people who hung around for it than we used to get to games. Going back to the hand wringing in the Richmond thread, I don't really like being judgmental about when people go to games or how long they stay afterwards. But I'm glad I went and glad I stayed.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Yes.....for the first time in history...our row actually won something....gift cards from Twisted....
I must be right behind you(row3). We ended up getting boxes also. They messed up and went to the wrong section. No argument:) My daughter is the one who spends the majority of the game jumping up and down.
1 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Blue Man wrote:I have a complaint:

I hate you. You should lose your right to buy tickets. You don’t deserve this team.

The fact that Vanner had to even announce that something was going to happen is pathetic.

Students with balloons.

I couldn't believe how many got up and left at the 5 minute mark. My son noticed as well and I said to him that they all must have an early day of work tomorrow and he reminded me that it was a FRIDAY NIGHT!
I hope the 10 minutes saved dodging a but of traffic was worth it because they missed a once in a lifetime celebration.

I kept stressing to him (he's 11 now) how unique and special that ceremony was. I told him that "I don't care how many times you come to a game here over the course of your life.... when you look up in the rafters and see the 2018 A10 tourney banner you can smile and appreciate that you were there to witness history." Its been incredible having him along on this ride with me. I was his age in 1999. I'm dreading Tuesday night because I don't want this to end and EC is my son's sports hero/idol at this point but we also can't wait to celebrate the careers of these incredible young men.
7 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So much great Championship stuff to read!!

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI wrote:Also, Fatts rejection of a 3-pointer launched by a guy AT LEAST half-a-foot taller is one of my favorite plays of all time!
Just found the block on the replay. It's at 5:09 left in the 2nd half. The reaction from his teammates is beautiful. And the reaction of the poor bastard he came out of nowhere to reject is priceless!

PS:#4 was a guard, so he was only 4 inches taller. But still amazeballs.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dan Hurley, via Providence Journal wrote:This team is the best team that we’ve had,” Hurley said. “We can lock you up and then we can score. We can go on runs. We can do it at both ends.”

URI has won 32 of its last 37 games dating back to the infamous 53-43 loss to Fordham, the night where last season’s regular-season title challenge crashed and burned. The Rams won the A-10 Tournament championship but this title seems to be held in more esteem by the URI coach.

To me, this is the biggest accomplishment,” Hurley said. “It’s hard to have this great of a season.”
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ESPN Watch Dayton at URI Replay Link:
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3273853
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Kudos to whoever in the marketing department came up with the balloons for the students. Looked incredible on TV. Confetti was a nice touch too. Everyone at the Ryan did a great job last night
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

For those who didn't agree with my game take, I suggest you re-read it in its entirety. If you still disagree, then defend the play of JT and EC at the start of the game and tell us who is a better PG than Jeff Dowtin in the A10. I'm not satisfied with the A10 regular season championship in a weak conference. "NCAAs or Bust". We need to make it to the Sweet 16,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks for the link RF1!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Lost in all the celebration is how amazing Cyril was on offense.

He made some truly great dribble drives from 18 ft out. Spin moves, going through guys, muscle moves. The complete opposite of how he looked early in the year.

If he can add dribble drive permanently to his repertoire...watch out. He'll be unstoppable with his strength and athleticism
9 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

For anybody who left early or didn't go to the game, the watchespn replay has a good 20 minutes of the post game ceremony
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:

Students with balloons.

I couldn't believe how many got up and left at the 5 minute mark. My son noticed as well and I said to him that they all must have an early day of work tomorrow and he reminded me that it was a FRIDAY NIGHT!
I hope the 10 minutes saved dodging a but of traffic was worth it because they missed a once in a lifetime celebration.

I kept stressing to him (he's 11 now) how unique and special that ceremony was. I told him that "I don't care how many times you come to a game here over the course of your life.... when you look up in the rafters and see the 2018 A10 tourney banner you can smile and appreciate that you were there to witness history." Its been incredible having him along on this ride with me. I was his age in 1999. I'm dreading Tuesday night because I don't want this to end and EC is my son's sports hero/idol at this point but we also can't wait to celebrate the careers of these incredible young men.
We don't hang banners for regular season titles. If we did we would already have like 7 of them hanging.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Looks like nobody really cares about your take 72.

Hey guys, this just in, URI MBB is pretty good.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Lost in all the celebration is how amazing Cyril was on offense.

He made some truly great dribble drives from 18 ft out. Spin moves, going through guys, muscle moves. The complete opposite of how he looked early in the year.

If he can add dribble drive permanently to his repertoire...watch out. He'll be unstoppable with his strength and athleticism
Agree!! the word beast comes to mind...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NJ03 wrote:Kudos to whoever in the marketing department came up with the balloons for the students. Looked incredible on TV. Confetti was a nice touch too. Everyone at the Ryan did a great job last night

Balloons looked great. Fairly cheap prop as well.

The celebration after the game was a nice production by the marketing people. Confetti, trophy presentation, and cutting down the net was great. Players seemed to really enjoy themselves as it appeared they had family and friends out on the court with them to share the moment. I think this type of event is also very important for the fan base. It makes up for the lean years. Also, since the A-10 and NCAA Tournaments are not nearby, it gives the fans a chance to share in the celebration.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Was having Kenny Green in the house the extent of their recognizing the 1998, 1988 and 1978 teams?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Kenny being there was not a University action.....he came with Karl Koussa......

....a little more prior knowledge perhaps would have led to having him come onto the gamefloor while a montage of his video highlights played so that our younger fans could see his greatness......
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

From William Geoghegan of The Independent

2 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

Did you say Kenny Green was there?!! I haven't posted in ages but just seeing how many new names are on this forum shows what success does for a program. A couple of years ago I did a poor quality but fun Skype interview with Kenny, in case the younger fans don't remember him:

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

^^^I remember this. Thanks for posting again RhodeIslandRams. Great stuff.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ This was awesome, thanks for posting.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote:For those who didn't agree with my game take, I suggest you re-read it in its entirety. If you still disagree, then defend the play of JT and EC at the start of the game and tell us who is a better PG than Jeff Dowtin in the A10. I'm not satisfied with the A10 regular season championship in a weak conference. "NCAAs or Bust". We need to make it to the Sweet 16,
I too think Jeff is the best PG in the a10 and I’m not satisfied with a reg season title, but good lord buddy, on a night of celebration you find something to complain about. Keep being miserable
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Lost in all the celebration is how amazing Cyril was on offense.

Seems to me Cyril has had great footwork right from his first game last year. He just had no touch and couldn't finish. He turned the corner late last year then regressed to start this year. Maybe it was the injury. But whatever it was, he is now better than we've ever seen him. Sometimes he has great touch. Other times he muscles the ball in when I can't even figure out how he got the shot off. To me, he could be the difference between a good run and a great run in March.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote:
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:

Students with balloons.

We don't hang banners for regular season titles. If we did we would already have like 7 of them hanging.
We hang whatever the hell the coach wants us to hang. This is a big deal. We hang a banner for getting hot on a 3 day March weekend, but being the best team in conference for 3 months doesn’t inspire anything in you?

That’s way harder. That’s banner worthy.

And also...this would be the first banner of its kind. We tied for a win of the conference almost 40 years ago...where are the other 6 you’re saying we have??
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:

We hang whatever the hell the coach wants us to hang. This is a big deal. We hang a banner for getting hot on a 3 day March weekend, but being the best team in conference doesn’t inspire anything in you?

And also...this would be the first banner of its kind. We tied for a win of the conference almost 40 years ago...where are the other 6 you’re saying we have??
We won the regular season in the Yankee Conference in '49, '60, '63, '65, '67 and '71
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:

We hang whatever the hell the coach wants us to hang. This is a big deal. We hang a banner for getting hot on a 3 day March weekend, but being the best team in conference for 3 months doesn’t inspire anything in you?

41, 43, 46, 50, 61, 64, 66, 68, 72 and 81

this is our 10th regular season conference title.

first 8 are all Yankee Conference titles, 81 was in the EAA (aka the Eastern 8, which became the A10 in 82-83)
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
My two favorite parts of the video for this, besides just how funny it was, were EC calling out for security and Dan just saying "who let them in here, where's Cox!?"
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......one more ladder climb would have been nice......EZ Buckets....to get some thread......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
I was listening to the PC on my way home and all of a sudden all the guys started laughing. I never found out why. Now I know. Very close group of kids.
2 x
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:

first 8 are all Yankee Conference titles, 81 was in the EAA (aka the Eastern 8, which became the A10 in 82-83)
I won't even pretend that I knew about the Yankee conference wins. It's information like that which makes visiting this site so unique and enjoyable.

I'm willing to bet that we see a banner up in the rafters for this one though. Especially after seeing the reactions and quotes from the players and Dan.

That wasn't supposed to be the focus of my post though. Last night was special for all of us. I'm 31 and have never experienced a celebration like that in Kingston RI. So happy I got to share it with my son.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Twisted, I ceded my title of Chief Doomer to 72 a while back......
But you'll always be doombone to me :P
just jokes...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Most important stat of the night: Flyers-free-throws-while-students-had-balloons: 3-8

Disclaimer: keeping track of numbers after drinking is challenging
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
theblueram wrote:

first 8 are all Yankee Conference titles, 81 was in the EAA (aka the Eastern 8, which became the A10 in 82-83)[/q

The Yankee Conference was:
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine

All Sports including Basketball and Football
Big Deal. 6 New England State Universities. Those were much different times. There were not Conferences like the Big East, AAC, Atlantic 10, Conference USA.................

This Atlantic 10 Conference Championship IS A BIG DEAL. We have never done this. You can go back to the smaller Eastern 8, you can go back to the Yankee Conference but in reality, Apples to Apples this is URI's DAY TO SHINE. Our Day in the Sun.

Why people want to lessen the accomplishment is beyond me. People say the A10 was weak. Based on what.. It just kills me that any of you even want to being that up. You are taking away from your own URI Basketball Team Accomplishment. Should give the Trophy back? Ask for a smaller Trophy because it was a weak year for the conference? Good grief.

Congratulations to the Team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period!!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote:For those who didn't agree with my game take, I suggest you re-read it in its entirety. If you still disagree, then defend the play of JT and EC at the start of the game and tell us who is a better PG than Jeff Dowtin in the A10. I'm not satisfied with the A10 regular season championship in a weak conference. "NCAAs or Bust". We need to make it to the Sweet 16,
I do not understand why people have to argue who the best player on the team is. We have arguments about who is better, Jared Terrell or EC. Why do people have to declare who their favorite player is like they have some better than everyone else capability to identify Basketball talent?

The greatest strength of this URI Team is that, as Dan Hurley says, he has 8 Starters. 3 Guys who do not start would start on most any other A10 team and many other teams.
We could argue EC Mathews or Jared Terrell is the best. We could argue Stanford Robinson is the best and Dan Hurley's MVP. We could argue Jeff Dowtin is the best. Cyril is the best big man. Who cares. That is the strength of this team - they have 8 starters that are all very good basketball players. We are deep. These 8 guys are all 3 star of 4 star players. All 8 play tremendous defense. They want to win - first and foremost and they will sacrifice individual statistics for the good of the team. That is something special. That is what makes this URI Team a Top 15 Team in the Nation out of 351 D1 Teams.

Enjoy the Ride.

Who cares who makes 1st Team All A10. This TEAM wants more than they accomplished last year.

Love This Team!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 x