2/23 | Dayton Flyers | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2/23 | Dayton Flyers | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Dayton at University of Rhode Island
Thomas M. Ryan Center
Friday, February 22, 2018
7:00PM (ESPN2)

Media

TV: ESPN2

Streaming: watchESPN app

Radio: B101, 101.5 FM

Previews:
Providence Journal- http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... r-uri-rams

Vegas: URI -12

Opponent

Record:
13-14, 7-8 A10
Last season: 24-8, 15-3 A10

Rankings:
RPI:
BPI:
KenPom:

Leaders:
Points - Josh Cunningham, 16.1 ppg
Rebounds - Josh Cunningham, 8.5 rpg
Assists - Jalen Crutcher, 4.4 apg

Preview

My bad for being late here. Everyone enjoy this one.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2/23 | Dayton Flyers | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by steviep123 »

Finally! Thanks TP :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Birthday wishes

Dayton sweep and outright regular season conference champs!

Let's go Rhody!
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, they got the hangover game out of the way.

they know the stakes...clinch an A10 title, NCAA seeding, etc. I'd be shocked if they dont come out locked in and energized being back home
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Turn the table on our loss last year when we gave up two threes in the last 18.5 seconds to lose by one. It took the wind out of us that bleed over to the Fordham game where we were pathetic.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Here comes the “expectation” train....just WIN.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:Here comes the “expectation” train....just WIN.
this team has elevated itself beyond the "just win" level.

why is it a shock that a conference champion, top 20 team, projected 5 seed sitting at 22-4(14-1) has increasing expectations from the fans?

Guess what? The more they achieve, the higher the expectations get. Pretty standard stuff across sports. In addition, this is a team we hung 88 on and beat by 14 at their place...how is it unreasonable to expect the same at a minimum at home?

the increased expectations are a testament to how great of a team they are and how great of a year we are experiencing.
4 x
---
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Because at the end of the day, a win is still a win.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote:Because at the end of the day, a win is still a win.
not in college sports.

rankings and seedings are about who you beat as well as the aesthetics of the wins.

Especially for us this year...we have the stink of playing in a bad conference, if we simply squeak by the narrative nationally will be "yeah they have a ton of wins, but look who they played and they barely won"

vs going out and crushing teams, which takes away their "yeah, but" about conference quality.

as a non cartel team, we aren't given the benefit of the doubt. We dont get the "it was just a bad game, we know they're better" credit. Not yet anyways.

Perception matters in college sports.
2 x
---
---
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The aesthetics of the win? Where?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Tom Moore said Hurley is great coming up with something every game to motivate the team. This week's: we don't want to share a championship with anyone.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

DC_Rams wrote:The aesthetics of the win? Where?
BPI, KenPom, and Sagarin all use margin of victory and strength of opponent as the basis for their rankings. All of these metrics are used to some mysterious extent by the selection committee to determine bids and seeding.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:

why is it a shock that a conference champion, top 20 team, projected 5 seed sitting at 22-4(14-1) has increasing expectations from the fans?

Guess what? The more they achieve, the higher the expectations get. Pretty standard stuff across sports. In addition, this is a team we hung 88 on and beat by 14 at their place...how is it unreasonable to expect the same at a minimum at home?

the increased expectations are a testament to how great of a team they are and how great of a year we are experiencing.
Agreed that expectations should rise based on performances.

The point DC is making, I believe, is that some people on the board fully melt down if the new “expectations” aren’t met...even if we win and we’re having the best season we’ve ever had.

For a fan base that’s literally known nothing but suck for so long, a lot of us don’t want to read “suck focused” takes while winning. It’s the best season this program has ever seen...and if things do take a dive, we’re all gonna wish we celebrated the good times a hell of a lot more.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Motivation for three remaining games:

Dayton - win the A-10 regular season outright.

St Joe's - for the seniors and hopefully also for an undefeated home record

Davidson - for NCAA seed purposes
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Iggy1979 wrote:Tom Moore said Hurley is great coming up with something every game to motivate the team. This week's: we don't want to share a championship with anyone.
Can’t wait until it’s, “y’all need to win this conference tournament or I will literally leave you.”

(this is a joke)

1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:

The point DC is making, I believe, is that some people on the board fully melt down if the new “expectations” aren’t met...even if we win and we’re having the best season we’ve ever had.

For a fan base that’s literally known nothing but suck for so long, a lot of us don’t want to read “suck focused” takes while winning. It’s the best season this program has ever seen...and if things do take a dive, we’re all gonna wish we celebrated the good times a hell of a lot more.
That's fair. And I wasn't saying not meeting higher expectations = failure.

I don't think it's been that negative when we don't blow the doors off a lesser team, with a few outliers.

The frustration when we have a bad spell to me is more of the "we need to fix that to reach the heights we want" than a "we suck, we're overrated". The mindset of can't let that become a habit because a better team will make you pay for it in March.

Some of it is knowing we have to do 2x as much to get half the credit of a P5 school nationally.

Also it doesn't mean any less joy is coming from watching the game. It's just a difference in how people watch.
1 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Totally agree with your reasoning there DPS.....there are a few things...VERY few, that we need to fix to go deep into March.

And I think we know what they are, without repeating it ad nauseam.....it's not all black and white here.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes totally agree with DH motivation tactics being much better than early in his career
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ace wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Tom Moore said Hurley is great coming up with something every game to motivate the team. This week's: we don't want to share a championship with anyone.
Can’t wait until it’s, “y’all need to win this conference tournament or I will literally leave you.”

(this is a joke)

Riveting balloon fencing match between Stan and JT
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote:
Riveting balloon fencing match between Stan and JT
That was literally my favorite part!
2 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Any fellow Boston alums going to be in the area for the game? I didn't get tickets to the game, but we're going to have an impromptu watch party at Harry's Bar on Comm Ave in Brighton. They dedicated a few TVs to us and have some solid food & drink options.

Come join if you can't make the game in person!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If it wasn’t for the streak, eventual a10 title and hopeful March run these awkwardly read and awkwardly acted promos would be 1 of the best takeaways from this season. Love em
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote:

Amen brother
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The Fan police have won.

A preemptive strike, a battle, and then the closing. Take your victory and be done.

There aren't even critical posts anymore.

This board used to talk about the same things everyday. Very focused. Very partisan.

Now? Ppl are all over the place talking about all sorts of things. Practice Facilities?!@ NCAAS!>!?A Local Regional!? Top Recruits/1?a?/!>?$$>

If you posted this on KB in 2011, you would be run off the board as a PC troll sent undermine our resolve.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Blue Man wrote:

That's fair. And I wasn't saying not meeting higher expectations = failure.

I don't think it's been that negative when we don't blow the doors off a lesser team, with a few outliers.

The frustration when we have a bad spell to me is more of the "we need to fix that to reach the heights we want" than a "we suck, we're overrated". The mindset of can't let that become a habit because a better team will make you pay for it in March.

Some of it is knowing we have to do 2x as much to get half the credit of a P5 school nationally.

Also it doesn't mean any less joy is coming from watching the game. It's just a difference in how people watch.
Completely reasonable stance. Sometimes it comes across as failure, which is why some of us react and lose our shit like we’re taking crazy pills, when looking at people who may be missing how great this season is.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

It looks like this is going to be close to sold out tonight. I checked the tickets earlier and only general admission are left. Everyone wants to see Rhody take that regular season title all for them self! Go Rhody!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

GAME DAY !
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

DelroyIsMyHero wrote:Any fellow Boston alums going to be in the area for the game? I didn't get tickets to the game, but we're going to have an impromptu watch party at Harry's Bar on Comm Ave in Brighton. They dedicated a few TVs to us and have some solid food & drink options.

I am going to the game, but are there any plans to do a watch party on Tues or next Friday?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Tried to get tickets for tonight's game but nothing but scalper prices available (Live near Worcester and always not sure we can get out of work in time so have to wait for last minute - have made it to 8 games this year including Brooklyn) . Did get tickets to Tuesday's game to say goodbye to our great senior class (nose bleeds but still worth it). If anyone can't make it to the game last minute (up to @ 3:00 please try me and willing to pay ticket prices for 2).....Go Rhody!!!
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

wgracie99 wrote:Tried to get tickets for tonight's game but nothing but scalper prices available (Live near Worcester and always not sure we can get out of work in time so have to wait for last minute - have made it to 8 games this year including Brooklyn) . Did get tickets to Tuesday's game to say goodbye to our great senior class (nose bleeds but still worth it). If anyone can't make it to the game last minute (up to @ 3:00 please try me and willing to pay ticket prices for 2).....Go Rhody!!!

maybe a stupid question, but did you call the Ryan Center directly? 401-788-3200. I know others that call an 800 number and get scalper prices, but if you call direct you will pay face value if there is any availability.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, they are selling GA tickets for section 301. I'm very surprised that all the student tickets didn't get gobbled up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I gave away my second set of tickets to the game tonight to a student who couldn't be up at 7AM to get tickets. According to him, you had to be in line at 7AM to get student tickets. I wonder if the RC is not limiting student tickets to their agreed upon allotment hoping that they can sell out the game thru the box office and maximize revenue?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

steviep123 wrote:
DelroyIsMyHero wrote:Any fellow Boston alums going to be in the area for the game? I didn't get tickets to the game, but we're going to have an impromptu watch party at Harry's Bar on Comm Ave in Brighton. They dedicated a few TVs to us and have some solid food & drink options.

I am going to the game, but are there any plans to do a watch party on Tues or next Friday?

Informally, yeah! I'm going to try and catch the rest of the games at Harry's with my fellow rams, and we will do something formal for the tourneys.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

TruePoint wrote:I gave away my second set of tickets to the game tonight to a student who couldn't be up at 7AM to get tickets. According to him, you had to be in line at 7AM to get student tickets. I wonder if the RC is not limiting student tickets to their agreed upon allotment hoping that they can sell out the game thru the box office and maximize revenue?
It sounds like they offered kids tickets yesterday between 7 and 9 and then not 1500 kids showed because that is a dumb time, and now they are not offering any more student tickets and selling them as GA instead.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:
At the end he said a member of the military is going to be propelling from the catwalk down to the court with the game ball - should be a fun site to see - get there early!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

More Rhody love from Plansky on da deuce!!

These are the good times, where we always wanted to be.

PTP!!!!

Go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Definitely not fair to ask the non-ruckus-member students to wake up at 7am on a Friday morning just to get a ticket
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Anyone have a ticket they're willing to sell? I'm a poor blind student who hasn't missed a home game since the parfait bitee days. I unfortunately had an exam on the student pickup day. Please help.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not Mike Powell wrote:Anyone have a ticket they're willing to sell? I'm a poor blind student who hasn't missed a home game since the parfait bitee days. I unfortunately had an exam on the student pickup day. Please help.
You can buy the General Admission 301 tickets by calling the Ryan Center.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Not Mike Powell wrote:Anyone have a ticket they're willing to sell? I'm a poor blind student who hasn't missed a home game since the parfait bitee days. I unfortunately had an exam on the student pickup day. Please help.
You can buy the General Admission 301 tickets by calling the Ryan Center.
But you'd better hurry.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jermaine Harris in the house tonight!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I love that Harris and Tate will be there tonight to (hopefully) watch us clinch the A10 regular season title. Should be a great atmosphere.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This game will tell quite a bit about where this season is going. Were the last two games just a correction during a bull season or are we returning to the the all too familiar swoon of the Baron era? I'm predicting the former because our coach is a motivator and not someone who blames players publicly. Let's get back to playing as a team and doing our job.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's great news give the recruits a warm welcome
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rain in London and Rhody72 saying something ridiculous. Two things you can count on in this life.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As always, my favorite pre-game read.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Jermaine Harris in the house tonight!
He is in the front row behind the URI bench. Great atmosphere tonight for Jermaine to watch
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:As always, my favorite pre-game read.

How about The Independent getting an updated picture with Dan in it. That pic has Earl Watson in it. :D
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”