Jeff Dowtin

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Jeff Dowtin

Unread post by PeteRI »

I wish there was a video of this - in the second half of last night's game, URI was setting up its defense. Fatts wasn't where he was supposed to be, so Jeff gave him a HUGE push in the back to put him where he wanted him to defend.

Oh man I'm still laughing about it!
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jeff is a coach on the court.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jeff and Cyril were yelling at each other after a defensive lapse (can’t remember who was at fault).

That’s what is interpreted as dissension on a bad team and accountability on a good one.
11 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Guaranteed player of the week in the A 10.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Jeff is a boss. The next few years I expect him to flirt with triple doubles multiple times. So long as he keeps developing a 3-point shot, and coach can get good shooters around him (Fatts is already one).
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If Jeff can develop that midrange game further he will be lethal. He is excellent on pick n roll and can get to that elbow position on anyone. When he is hitting that shot he is tough to stop given his vision and passing ability.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:Jeff and Cyril were yelling at each other after a defensive lapse (can’t remember who was at fault).

That’s what is interpreted as dissension on a bad team and accountability on a good one.

Beautiful
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I've been attending URI basketball games for 50 years, going back to Steve Chubin and Mike Fitzgerald, so I have seen many PGs play at URI. Here is my take on Jeff Dowtin. He is only a sophomore, so career comparisons require projections that I am unwilling to make. However, he is having the best season as a PG of any URI player I have seen in my 50 years, as well as any PG in the A10 this season.

The PG needs to take care of the ball, run the offense and have a pass first mentality that gets the ball to the right person, at the right time and place to score - and that is what Jeff brings game after game. I made clear my feelings about Jeff as a player since the middle of his freshman year, when many thought Jarvis should get his job back when he returned from illness; as well as this year when Jarvis came back physically stronger than ever and some here thought he should start. Furthermore, Jeff's size, quickness and footwork have made him the perimeter defender that the many smaller PGs of the past could never be. The team is much more effective when Jeff is on the floor.

As the college game has evolved, the roles for positions have blurred such as C/PF. PF/SF, SF/SG and PG/SG. In the Pros roles are more defined than in the college game. If Jeff's offense continues to develop, then I can see him becoming a good NBA PG. At this point, Jeff can finish at the rim, has a respectable mid-range shot and a weak outside shot. He needs to learn to elevate and get the shot off quicker. For the college game his outside set shot is adequate to keep defenses honest in guarding him particularly on a team with other shooters. In the pros, his ability to drive, shoot or pass would be compromised by his outside shot. Jeff's physical strength and outside shooting should improve markedly in he next two years, Then, Jeff's place among URI all-time PGs will be clearer.
4 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody72 wrote:I've been attending URI basketball games for 50 years, going back to Steve Chubin and Mike Fitzgerald, so I have seen many PGs play at URI. Here is my take on Jeff Dowtin. He is only a sophomore, so career comparisons require projections that I am unwilling to make. However, he is having the best season as a PG of any URI player I have seen in my 50 years, as well as any PG in the A10 this season.

The PG needs to take care of the ball, run the offense and have a pass first mentality that gets the ball to the right person, at the right time and place to score - and that is what Jeff brings game after game. I made clear my feelings about Jeff as a player since the middle of his freshman year, when many thought Jarvis should get his job back when he returned from illness; as well as this year when Jarvis came back physically stronger than ever and some here thought he should start. Furthermore, Jeff's size, quickness and footwork have made him the perimeter defender that the many smaller PGs of the past could never be. The team is much more effective when Jeff is on the floor.

As the college game has evolved, the roles for positions have blurred such as C/PF. PF/SF, SF/SG and PG/SG. In the Pros roles are more defined than in the college game. If Jeff's offense continues to develop, then I can see him becoming a good NBA PG. At this point, Jeff can finish at the rim, has a respectable mid-range shot and a weak outside shot. He needs to learn to elevate and get the shot off quicker. For the college game his outside set shot is adequate to keep defenses honest in guarding him particularly on a team with other shooters. In the pros, his ability to drive, shoot or pass would be compromised by his outside shot. Jeff's physical strength and outside shooting should improve markedly in he next two years, Then, Jeff's place among URI all-time PGs will be clearer.
Wow, that is high praise indeed! I've really only watched this team for a little more than 50 weeks, but I agree that Jeff is something special. And he's only going to get better -- especially if his shooting continues to improve. Based on several recent 20+ point games, it already has!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Very astute observations, R72. One of your best posts!
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

As much as I love Jeff as a point guard he does have a ways to go to get to Silk Owens and Tyson Wheeler.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great stuff indeed only a sophomore and got 2 more years to develop under a coach who gets players prepared to play at the next level
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Dowtin deserves to be first team all A-10 this year. Hopefully the voters will look beyond flashiness and ppg.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

URI2006_Andy wrote:Dowtin deserves to be first team all A-10 this year. Hopefully the voters will look beyond flashiness and ppg.
That'll be tough since he plays the same position as Adams.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jeff has been invaluable to this team, and his transformation into a pass first PG and facilitator has been integral to this team reaching their potential. If he is going to continue to be a high level scoring threat as well we are going to be tough to beat.

That said, there is no way he will make 1st team- there is a guy named Jaylen Adams who has that spot on lock. Then guys like Aldridge, Terrell and Tillman that are shoo-ins. That leaves 1 spot but it ain’t going to Jeff.

Also as great a season as he has had to say it’s the best PG performance in the last 50 years is off base. Silk and Tyson both had great senior years and were first team all league performers with 1 of them an eventual 2nd round NBA pick.
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I love Jeff, but I don't think he has yet to surpass the two above or Jiggy.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Working in Jeff's favor is he could lead us to 4 NCAA tournaments.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ramulous wrote:Working in Jeff's favor is he could will lead us to 4 NCAA tournaments.....
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I’d be shocked if Dowtin gets it but I say to the victor goes the spoils. We were dominant in the A-10 this year, we should get two guys on the first team all conference team. And then you have Adams, Aldridge and Mobley. Tillman is on an 8-8 team. You think URI would ever get a first team selection off a .500 team?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i think Tillman gets on, could see a 6 person first team and i wouldn't complain about
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As far as all-teams, as Chris DiSano said, if Stan doesn't get defensive POY, there should be an investigation.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I'm thinking our only reps are Terrell 1st team and EC 2nd team.

And Stan should get DPOY
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:I'm thinking our only reps are Terrell 1st team and EC 2nd team.

And Stan should get DPOY
Stan will be on all D team and Fattsvon the newcomer team.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The league sucks this year. 4 of our starters would start on any other team in the league. 2 players should be first team. 2 should be 2nd team. Stan DPOY. Jarvis or Cyril as 6th man. Stan and probably Jared should be on the all defensive team. Fatts should be rookie of the year.

I had to swallow the bullshit about how Xavier Munford didn’t deserve to be recognized because we sucked.

We’re the best team in the league with the best players in the league...REWARD THEM.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And that’s how it has always been with these rewards. Heavily skewed to the best teams and Seniors. Our turn!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:The league sucks this year. 4 of our starters would start on any other team in the league. 2 players should be first team. 2 should be 2nd team. Stan DPOY. Jarvis or Cyril as 6th man. Stan and probably Jared should be on the all defensive team. Fatts should be rookie of the year.

I had to swallow the bullshit about how Xavier Munford didn’t deserve to be recognized because we sucked.

We’re the best team in the league with the best players in the league...REWARD THEM.
I agree, but we never get respect in all league teams
0 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:The league sucks this year. 4 of our starters would start on any other team in the league.
?

I think we have 8 guys who would start on any other team in the league. All of our starters and half of our bench.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree Blue, and considering how much separation there is in standings it should be reflected in All League teams. We are far and away better than everyone else so we should have guys in every team, but watch us get screwed. If I had to guess...
Jared 1st team and POY
EC 2nd Team
Jeff honorable mention
Stan DPOY
Fatts All rookie
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And how about coach of the year? That should be pretty easy.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:The league sucks this year. 4 of our starters would start on any other team in the league. 2 players should be first team. 2 should be 2nd team. Stan DPOY. Jarvis or Cyril as 6th man. Stan and probably Jared should be on the all defensive team. Fatts should be rookie of the year.

Fatts should be on the all rookie team, but not ROY. That will probably go to Kellen Grady.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

steviep123 wrote:

Fatts should be on the all rookie team, but not ROY. That will probably go to Kellen Grady.
I have no argument with that. Grady is a stud.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

easy BM...Mobley and Adams would likely keep their starting positions and Grady and Aldridge aren't bad either...but I get your point otherwise.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

X was top 5in the conference in points that year. Hass led the conference in blocks and it took more time to give him his due.

Aldridge is a great player...I heard in years past that your team needed to be tops for that stuff to matter.

I want the equal treatment. We deserve the accolades for once.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Disrespect is fuel for the fire....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I agree with 72. As far as a pure PG this has been one of the best seasons I have ever seen. Silk and Tyson were scorers and then PG. Jeff has 2 alpha dogs that he has to keep satisfied.

I think we will see jeff at the next level in two years.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:X was top 5in the conference in points that year. Hass led the conference in blocks and it took more time to give him his due.

Aldridge is a great player...I heard in years past that your team needed to be tops for that stuff to matter.

I want the equal treatment. We deserve the accolades for once.
yup. if the league gave awards fairly, Hass would've been a 3x DPOY. Instead they gave Briante Weber a career achievement award despite him only playing in half the season due to injury.

Hass went for 7.7 reb and 3.1 blocks per game that year as as sophomore.

I think Hurley may win COY (and should), but could see them giving it to Dambrot because of exceeding expectations. Same way Bill Belichick should win COY every season but never does
2 x
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dambrot and Duquesne have come back to earth....if they had continued to win then maybe....Dan should get it over him and McKillop....
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

This post might belong in the "Week 17: Games of Interest" thread once that's created, but the Davidson/SBU game is after ours tomorrow night on CBSSN - good A10 doubleheader, and the 2nd game will likely decide 2nd place, as both Davidson and SBU are tied for 2nd at 12-4. I don't know who owns what the tie breakers between the two are, so I don't know if there's a path for the loser of that game to reclaim 2nd if that loser wins their last game and the winner loses their last game. Either way, it's an A10 game to watch.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:This post might belong in the "Week 17: Games of Interest" thread once that's created, but the Davidson/SBU game is after ours tomorrow night on CBSSN - good A10 doubleheader, and the 2nd game will likely decide 2nd place, as both Davidson and SBU are tied for 2nd at 12-4. I don't know who owns what the tie breakers between the two are, so I don't know if there's a path for the loser of that game to reclaim 2nd if that loser wins their last game and the winner loses their last game. Either way, it's an A10 game to watch.
Davidson has already beaten SBU 83-73 at home back on 01/19/18. I think the Wildcats clinch 2nd place if they win at Olean as they would have the head-to-head tie-breaker should they end up with the same record. It gets much more complicated should SBU beats Davidson and then lose at SLU along with Davidson beating URI. They would both have identical records, equal head-to-head records, equal records versus the team (URI) above them. It would then go to best record versus the 4 seed (and downward if tied).
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:This post might belong in the "Week 17: Games of Interest" thread once that's created, but the Davidson/SBU game is after ours tomorrow night on CBSSN - good A10 doubleheader, and the 2nd game will likely decide 2nd place, as both Davidson and SBU are tied for 2nd at 12-4. I don't know who owns what the tie breakers between the two are, so I don't know if there's a path for the loser of that game to reclaim 2nd if that loser wins their last game and the winner loses their last game. Either way, it's an A10 game to watch.
Davidson has already beaten SBU 83-73 at home back on 01/19/18. I think the Wildcats clinch 2nd place if they win at Olean as they would have the head-to-head tie-breaker should they end up with the same record. It gets much more complicated should SBU beats Davidson and then lose at SLU along with Davidson beating URI. They would both have identical records, equal head-to-head records, equal records versus the team (URI) above them. It would then go to best record versus the 4 seed (and downward if tied).
Thanks RF1. I probably could have looked back to see who won the first meeting (if there was one) and what the other tie breakers are. In any case, the winner would have a leg up, and if Davidson wins they clinch. SBU wins and then Davidson would need to win their next game, plus a lot of help.

So this begs the question, is Davidson good enough to land on the bubble or near with a win tomorrow?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

D'oh, I meant to put this in the St. Joe's game thread. Mods, can you move it and it's responses there (or to the Week 17 Games of Interest Thread once created)? Sorry about that.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
Thanks RF1. I probably could have looked back to see who won the first meeting (if there was one) and what the other tie breakers are. In any case, the winner would have a leg up, and if Davidson wins they clinch. SBU wins and then Davidson would need to win their next game, plus a lot of help.

So this begs the question, is Davidson good enough to land on the bubble or near with a win tomorrow?
No, at this point, Davidson needs to win the A10 tournament to get an NCAA berth. With an RPI of 92 and a 2-6 record against Quadrants 1 & 2, they're not on the bubble. They've beat up on the weaker teams on their schedule, with a 12-2 record in Quadrant 4 games.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Shaolin Swat wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

No, at this point, Davidson needs to win the A10 tournament to get an NCAA berth. With an RPI of 92 and a 2-6 record against Quadrants 1 & 2, they're not on the bubble. They've beat up on the weaker teams on their schedule, with a 12-2 record in Quadrant 4 games.
Damn, I was hoping the A10 could get a 3rd bid with URI still winning the A10 tourney. It seems the two are mutually exclusive of each other.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

An amazing stat in this release is that Jeff has had seven games this year where he played at least 30 minutes and had ZERO turnovers. He also leads the team in mins/game at 32.7.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Amazing. In the last 2 games, he has a total of 45 points, 7 rebounds, 12 assists, and only 1 turnover.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:Amazing. In the last 2 games, he has a total of 45 points, 7 rebounds, 12 assists, and only 1 turnover.
on 16-25 shooting too... 45 points on 25 shots is crazy efficient.
1 x
---
---
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

A10 Player of the Week for Jefe!
2 x
---