Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

As Week #16 begins, the road loss at St. Bonaventure does not cause a big drop in the URI rankings in both polls - Rams are now #18 in the AP Top 25 Poll poll and #18 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Virginia retains the #1 in the AP Top 25 poll, and grabs the #2 spot in the USA Today Coaches Poll. With the big road win at Boise State, Nevada moves up to #20 in the AP poll and #22 in the Coaches' polls. Getting other votes in AP poll are St. Bona with 13 vote and Alabama with one vote. In the USA Today Coaches Poll, Michigan State retains the #1 spot. In the other votes category, Seton Hall gets 13 votes and St. Bona gets 11 votes.

The cumulative won-lost records of URI OOC opponents now stands at 197-104, 0.654, a decrease over the previous week reflecting that four opponents each lost two games during the week - FGCU, Seton Hall, Brown, and Iona.

The key ratings for URI at the start of Week #16 are:

RPI - 7, down one. The expected RPI is 10.
BPI - 26, down 2.
Sagarin - 33, up 1.
Pomeroy - 33 down 3.

Very little action in CBB on Monday night. No games in the A-10 and no games involving URI OOC opponents.

In Top 25 action:

Oklahoma at #8 Kansas. 9 PM. On ESPN/ESPN3.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Blue Man »

Oklahoma gets EMBARRASSED by 30.

6 in a row. 9 of 11.

Shades of a Jim Baron season. Good God that's rough. Great pick by the committee for that top 4.

They could honestly miss the tournament. 35 RPI and falling. 16-11 with 3 games to go. Wooooooof.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2018/ ... m=Oklahoma
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want the Sooners out of the big dance !!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man wrote:Oklahoma gets EMBARRASSED by 30.

6 in a row. 9 of 11.

Shades of a Jim Baron season. Good God that's rough. Great pick by the committee for that top 4.

They could honestly miss the tournament. 35 RPI and falling. 16-11 with 3 games to go. Wooooooof.

I saw a college gameday about a month ago and they did a segment where all the hosts spun the wheel-of-fortune style wheel with a bunch of teams on it, and had to say how far the team they landed on would go in the tournament. Someone else got OU and said like they could go to the sweet sixteen or whatever, and they asked Bilas if he agreed, and he was like “well they have to make the tournament first.” At the time I thought Bilas was just being his typical dink self, but apparently he had seen something even then that this thing was built on a shaky foundation. Props to him.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

On Tuesday night the only game in the A-10 besides URI at La Salle. 7 PM. On CBSSN is:

Dayton at Saint Louis. 9 PM. On ESPNU.

No games involving URI OOC opponents.

In Top 25 action:

Illinois at #3 Michigan State. 7 PM. On ESPN.

Rutgers at #16 Ohio State. 7 PM. On BTN.

#21 West Virginia at Baylor. 7 PM. On ESPN2.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

6 in a row. 9 of 11.

They should honestly miss the tournament. 35 RPI and falling. 16-11 with 3 games to go. Wooooooof.

fixed it.

if any other team except OU with the media's chosen golden boy Trae Young was having this fall they'd be out of just about every bracket.

Case in point, our own 08 season...20-4 and firmly in to 21-10 and NIT bound
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

6 in a row. 9 of 11.

emBARONsing !
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Talk about a team backing into the dance ugh !!
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Looking for some guidance for tomorrow's Seton Hall v Providence game. I know some of you say if you root against PC you can't be a URI fan because a PC loss hurts us. But since we also beat Seton Hall, a Seton Hall loss would hurt us too. I'm so confused on how I can be a true URI fan ;)
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seton Hall is in no legit danger to fall out of a quadrant 1 win for us, PC is just outside a Q1 win for us, so PC winning would be more beneficial, need them to get into Top 30 RPI.
3 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

SH and Oklahoma are channeling their inner Baron....choking like dogs.

The Sooners at least have a legit excuse....as Tre Young goes so go they....when he sucks they suck...they don't have much else....SH? They don't have an excuse.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Watching the Dayton SLU game...Little Freak is taking over both ends of the floor.

And French should be ROY. Kid plays Hass level defense
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote:Seton Hall is in no legit danger to fall out of a quadrant 1 win for us, PC is just outside a Q1 win for us, so PC winning would be more beneficial, need them to get into Top 30 RPI.

Think again - SH has lost four of its last five and has to close out its season on the road at Providence and St John's before finishing with home games against Villanova and Butler. They could be in some trouble if they don't get a few wins.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote:Oklahoma’s tournament odds:
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... acketology
This is weighing everything they did early in the year equal to what has been happening with them lately. If you average it all out and project that forward, you'd expect them to close fairly well. And if that does happen, they should get in. But if this trend goes thru the end of the year, they can definitely play their way out of the field. From the outside it looks like it is falling apart completely on them.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

According to bracket matrix SH is on the 9 line and PC on the 10
It's close since we beat both teams so I will pull for the Seton Hall Pirates
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Do wins vs top 25 teams still count for something? Since SH was ranked.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't think so it all comes down to the Quadrant system now
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wednesday action in the A-10:

Fordham at Davidson. 7 PM.

Duquesne at St. Bonaventure. 7 PM.

George Mason at St. Joseph's. 7 PM.

Richmond at George Washington. 7 PM.

VCU at UMass. 7 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents.

Seton Hall at PC. 6:30 PM.

Georgia Tech at #1 Virginia. 7 PM. On ESPN2.

American at Holy Cross. 7:05 PM.

Alabama at #12 Auburn. 8:30 PM. On SECN.

San Jose State at Nevada. 10 PM. On ESPN3.

In Top 25 action:

#4 Xavier at Georgetown. 6:30 PM.

#6 Texas Tech at Oklahoma State. 7 PM. On ESPNU.

#10 North Carolina at Syracuse. 7 PM. On ESPN.

#15 Clemson at Virginia Tech. 7 PM. On ACCNE.

#17 Michigan at Penn State. 7 PM. On BTN.

Tulane at #23 Wichita State. 7:30 PM. On CBSSN.

DePaul at #3 Villanova. 8:30 PM. On FS1.

Louisville at #5 Duke. 9 PM. On ESPN.

Florida at #19 Tennessee. 9 PM. On ESPN2.
U
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am pulling for Seton Hall tonight.....if they continue to free fall and don't make the tournament there is a possibility they dismiss their coach and make a run at Dan Hurley.....SH is a school I believe he would not turn down.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

IMO we should be rooting for PC. Getting them into Quadrant 1 would be great for our resume.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

i'll pull for the friars tonight. going by RPI wizard, if SH loses tonight and ALL 3 of their final regular season games, their RPI drops to 51 and URI loses a Q1 win. If SH wins only at St. John's their RPI is 42 and if their only win is at home to Butler, their RPI is 39. I'd roll the dice that they can win one of those games (of course this doesn't take into consideration the Big East tournament) and remain a Q1 win for Rhody.

As for PC, a win tonight tentatively puts them with a 33 RPI. They then play at GTown and X before finishing with St. Johns at home. Assuming a win tonight, a win only against St. Johns would have them at 39 RPI. A win against GTown and St Johns has them at 25.

So if you think SH can win any of their last 3 games, you should be pulling for PC tonight. If you think SH will lose all three of their final games, then you either want SH to win tonight or we need PC to win at Gtown and home for St. Johns.

I'm going to be greedy and root for a PC win tonight. I think SH can win one of their final 3 then i'll hope PC beats St. Johns home and wins at Gtown. In this scenario we keep a Q1 win vs. SH and pick up a Q1 win vs PC.
5 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

URI'21 wrote:IMO we should be rooting for PC. Getting them into Quadrant 1 would be great for our resume.
There are some things we non-fans can't do.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
URI'21 wrote:IMO we should be rooting for PC. Getting them into Quadrant 1 would be great for our resume.
There are some things we non-fans can't do.
Since I decided to take the, "I couldn't care less what PC does other than one game a year in December" approach, does that make me a non fan?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You are one of our best fans StevieP

I am pulling for a Seton Hall Pirates win but if PC pulls it out I will take the silver lining
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote:I am pulling for Seton Hall tonight.....if they continue to free fall and don't make the tournament there is a possibility they dismiss their coach and make a run at Dan Hurley.....SH is a school I believe he would not turn down.....

No question about it

Should want Seton Hall Coach to remain in place. No way Hurley goes to PC but Seton Hall is the greatest fear as you said.

Should want Seton Hall HC as Secure as possible.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Willard isn't going anywhere, at least for a while.

No concern for now....maybe down the road a bit that changes.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sorry I want PC in the NIT

Y’all should too....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

But I don't like the friars.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I am pulling for Seton Hall tonight.....if they continue to free fall and don't make the tournament there is a possibility they dismiss their coach and make a run at Dan Hurley.....SH is a school I believe he would not turn down.....

No question about it

Should want Seton Hall Coach to remain in place. No way Hurley goes to PC but Seton Hall is the greatest fear as you said.

Dan Hurley is not leaving URI to go to another stepping stone school.

He will continue to win, win big, and wait for a blue blood school to come calling.

He doesn't want to rebuild another "on-the-cusp" program in a tougher conference when he has a built up program that is capable of winning this conference year in and year out.

UConn, Seton Hall, Maryland, Pitt - all of those schools aren't programs. They're teams that had success under a given coach. Dan would have work to do to build any of those back up to an NCAA program. URI will have the talent in place next year (Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, CT), plus incoming talent, to be a top 4 team in the A10 and have a shot at dancing. He's not leaving to put himself in a situation that isn't better than where he currently is.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There's times when it's to Rhody's benefit when PC wins and there's times when it's not...The "Bleep PC no matter what - even if it's to URI's benefit when they win" thing seems a little nutty and immature.... and I should know, because I can be as immature as anyone.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:
ramster wrote:

No question about it

Dan Hurley is not leaving URI to go to another stepping stone school.

He will continue to win, win big, and wait for a blue blood school to come calling.

He doesn't want to rebuild another "on-the-cusp" program in a tougher conference when he has a built up program that is capable of winning this conference year in and year out.

UConn, Seton Hall, Maryland, Pitt - all of those schools aren't programs. They're teams that had success under a given coach. Dan would have work to do to build any of those back up to an NCAA program. URI will have the talent in place next year (Jeff, Fatts, Cyril, CT), plus incoming talent, to be a top 4 team in the A10 and have a shot at dancing. He's not leaving to put himself in a situation that isn't better than where he currently is.
The point is PC or Seton Hall - who do you favor?
100% DH never goes to PC. Can't say the same for Seton Hall. Family, Son at Seton Hall, one never knows what can happen or change with family circumstances. But at the end of the day I want Seton Hall over PC tonight. If Seton Hall tailspins the end of the season that job could open.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, you're a little new to the game here to understand the deep hatred some here have for PC....

Yes I want what's best for URI, but it's hard...so hard sometimes.....

I'm actually OK with PC being good....just not as good as us!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Stupid Dunk hockey arena already putting players in danger with slippery floor.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I don't want pc to be good......I wish for them what their fans wish for us.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rambone, that's bs.... every sport has rivalries... but, if Red Sox fans needed the yankmes to win on the last day of the season in order for the Sox to make the playoffs, I'm thinking they'd get over themselves and root the right thing. That doesn't make you pro-yankme... If a PC win helps Rhody, seems obvious one should root for that...doesn't make that person pro-PC.

Geesh, this is such a silly silly argument that a) I can't believe it still goes on and b) I still bother to comment on just how eff'd up it is...
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I'm reminded of what Rhode Island super fan Frank Caruso said years ago: "if providence college were playing the Russians, I would root for the Russians!"
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

208...you probably think the Hatfields and McCoys are effed up, too?

Some of us are born with this hatred....some have had it bred into them......casual fans like you cannot understand our pain.....
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:208...you probably think the Hatfields and McCoys are effed up, too?

Some of us are born with this hatred....some have had it bred into them......casual fans like you cannot understand our pain.....
Yes, I do - when families kill members of other families, that's messed up.

Silly...people wear that like a badge...like, they're more proud of their consistent hatred - no wavering, just 100% hate-on, all the time - than they are of the success of their own team. Thinking "scoreboard" should be enough, but it's obviously not. Wondering if it really is "born" with hatred...or if it's just insecurity/jealousy that's just too hard to shake?

Edit: PC fans must laugh their asses off at this fascination/hatred/obsession....
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I was joking about the Hatfields and McCoys.....

Their fans also have the fascination/hatred/obsession about us....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Trying to change people's attitudes on here is truly an exercise in futility......but we keep on tryin'

Anyone for a quad face palm?

208, seriously? Most PC fans hate, and I mean hate us with a passion.....it's a thing, and a BIG thing at that.

It takes 2 to tango, and we got that going on.....what's wrong with a good old fashioned rivalry? :twisted:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's say goodnight to the Providence College Friars !!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So...let them be nitwits...doesn't mean we have to be.

Nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned rivalry at all. Been a Red Sox fans for decades...have always 'hated' the Yankees. But, if a Sox playoff spot depended on a yankee win, I'm rooting for the Sox playoff spot. I'm not saying anyone should root for PC as a matter of course...if they want to, that's fine, but if by some wild circumstance a Rhody hoops playoff spot depended on a PC win...there would be "URI fans" on here saying, "I hope we don't make the playoffs".... and I can't understand how people justify that... Would like to hear an explanation on that that goes beyond "you're new, you wouldn't understand"..."you have no idea"... "it's just something we're born with"... I'm thinking for a lot, there's no reason other than, "we just do, and the thing we're the absolute most proud of is, we ALWAYS do, no matter what - even if we don't really know why" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dammit, we need that facepalm emoji.....
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I also am a Sox fan and do not like the Yankees.....

It is harder to explain being a graduate of a college and the affinity to that school.....and then how you feel when fans of another school denigrate and make fun of your alma mater.....and the hatred it engenders....

I don't care if Yankee fans make fun of the Red Sox......I do care when fans of other schools make fun of the school I graduated from....it is a different kind of fandom.....

What is your alma mater 208?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:So...let them be nitwits...doesn't mean we have to be.

Nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned rivalry at all. Been a Red Sox fans for decades...have always 'hated' the Yankees. But, if a Sox playoff spot depended on a yankee win, I'm rooting for the Sox playoff spot. I'm not saying anyone should root for PC as a matter of course...if they want to, that's fine, but if by some wild circumstance a Rhody hoops playoff spot depended on a PC win...there would be "URI fans" on here saying, "I hope we don't make the playoffs".... and I can't understand how people justify that... Would like to hear an explanation on that that goes beyond "you're new, you wouldn't understand"..."you have no idea"... "it's just something we're born with"... I'm thinking for a lot, there's no reason other than, "we just do, and the thing we're the absolute most proud of is, we ALWAYS do, no matter what - even if we don't really know why" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dammit, we need that facepalm emoji.....
It's called falling on the grenade. Sometimes you do the improbable for the betterment of the whole.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bonnies in the old letdown game with the Dukes....tied at halftime....lot of pressure on them here. Blow this, and they're most likely done without winning the A10's....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, if it came down to PC needing to beat somebody for URI to make the Dance, then of course I would root for them....my dislike of PC does not go THAT far lol.....

Of course they would then lose, but that's besides the point.....
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Seton Hall-friars game suspended due to excessive condensation on the court.....game is now in limbo....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PC game suspended due to the Dump!
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I like their arena.......it's their fans that bother me.......right 208? LOL
0 x