Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RF1 »

The RI Convention Center Authority, the entity which manages the DDC, has issued a statement apologizing for the problem and indicating that already scheduled improvements will correct the issue.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... suspension

Funny how the state never has enough money for Meade improvements, URI outdoor track, new PawSox Stadium, roads, etc....but ALWAYS seems to find more money to continually spend at the Dunkin Dounuts Center.
2 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

not a game but a reference we can use to see potential match ups in DC

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic ... st15138474
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:So basically we need them to beat St. John's and either Georgetown or Xavier plus probably win at least one in the Big East tournament
Very possible - likely, even - but it's hard to predict this team this year. Never know which version is gonna show up.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:So basically we need them to beat St. John's and either Georgetown or Xavier plus probably win at least one in the Big East tournament
Very possible - likely, even - but it's hard to predict this team this year. Never know which version is gonna show up.
Right now, rpi forecasts says if PC wins their last three home games they'll be 47 rpi. I wonder how many tournament games they'll need to win to be top 30 and a Q1 win for us? Can they move the needle that much?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
Its bizzare.. Bulluck looked all league against Villanova and then just disappears every other game
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

YAY PC LOST!!

WHO CARES THAT ONE LESS QUADRANT WIN IS WORTH A WHOLE SEEDING LINE TO THE COMMITTEE!?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is that more important than Seton Hall possibly not making the tourney and Willard possibly being fired?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I guess that means yes?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:Is that more important than Seton Hall possibly not making the tourney and Willard possibly being fired?
Dan Hurley is not leaving the University of Rhode Island to go to Seton Hall. Period. End of story.

And again...not for nothing but the higher a seed we get and the better we do in the tournament makes it more likely that he stays here. Not less.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Blue Man wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Is that more important than Seton Hall possibly not making the tourney and Willard possibly being fired?
Dan Hurley is not leaving the University of Rhode Island to go to Seton Hall. Period. End of story.

And again...not for nothing but the higher a seed we get and the better we do in the tournament makes it more likely that he stays here. Not less.
Absolutely. He’s built a program, bringing in one of the best classes in 20 years. That’s not something you walk away from when everything else is a positive.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

But can we talk about how great he could recruit in the Big East at a school in North Jersey? No? Ok.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote:But can we talk about how great he could recruit in the Big East at a school in North Jersey? No? Ok.
Bing!!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Listen, I don't want to start another 'Dan is Leaving' conversation. I don't think he is either. But somebody tell why not Seton Hall? Not only his alma mater and his son's current school, but it would seem to be the next logical step. Take a middle of the pack Big East school to the top of the conference in 2 or 3 years. as he has done in his past two stops. Obviously, yes, he could get great recruits there. He'd be a lock for the tourney every year. Then in 4 or 5 years, the blue bloods come calling. Not saying he's leaving, but why not Seton Hall? Ace, can you tell me why not Seton Hall? Somebody? Also, Zags is saying what a hot commodity Dan will be in April. Zags doesn't usually write anything if Dan doesn't want it out there.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote:Listen, I don't want to start another 'Dan is Leaving' conversation. I don't think he is either. But somebody tell why not Seton Hall? Not only his alma mater and his son's current school, but it would seem to be the next logical step. Take a middle of the pack Big East school to the top of the conference in 2 or 3 years. as he has done in his past two stops. Obviously, yes, he could get great recruits there. He'd be a lock for the tourney every year. Then in 4 or 5 years, the blue bloods come calling. Not saying he's leaving, but why not Seton Hall? Ace, can you tell me why not Seton Hall? Somebody? Also, Zags is saying what a hot commodity Dan will be in April. Zags doesn't usually write anything if Dan doesn't want it out there.
Literally Ace, I, and others have spelled the reasons out what fees like hundreds of times. They’re all over the board.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
I guess that means yes?
My first double double...

Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Listen, I don't want to start another 'Dan is Leaving' conversation. I don't think he is either. But somebody tell why not Seton Hall? Not only his alma mater and his son's current school, but it would seem to be the next logical step. Take a middle of the pack Big East school to the top of the conference in 2 or 3 years. as he has done in his past two stops. Obviously, yes, he could get great recruits there. He'd be a lock for the tourney every year. Then in 4 or 5 years, the blue bloods come calling. Not saying he's leaving, but why not Seton Hall? Ace, can you tell me why not Seton Hall? Somebody? Also, Zags is saying what a hot commodity Dan will be in April. Zags doesn't usually write anything if Dan doesn't want it out there.
I don’t anticipate there being an opening at Seton Hall.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:
But if there was, why not Seton Hall? Nobody has answered my question. My question is specifically about that school.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:
But if there was, why not Seton Hall? Nobody has answered my question. My question is specifically about that school.
No need to worry now, right? They beat PC, plus PC lost, so, who cares? ...it's double bingo!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
ace wrote:
No need to worry now, right? They beat PC, plus PC lost, so, who cares? ...it's double bingo!
pc, helping us by losing. Love it!!!
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Blue Man wrote:YAY PC LOST!!

WHO CARES THAT ONE LESS QUADRANT WIN IS WORTH A WHOLE SEEDING LINE TO THE COMMITTEE!?
I am with Blue Man on this

I hate PC

I want to be the only team in the state to be in the tourney and grab all the headlines

HOYA DESTROYA
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote:
Blue Man wrote:YAY PC LOST!!

I am with Blue Man on this

I hate PC

I want to be the only team in the state to be in the tourney and grab all the headlines

HOYA DESTROYA
BLUEMAN was being sarcastic.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nothing to do with Dan going to SH or anything, but I'm happy SH beat PC. PC attaining Q1 status for our resume would not be guaranteed even if they had won. PC is on the bubble; I would gladly move down from a 4 to a 5 in exchange for PC being left at home. Call me whatever you want for that. I'd make that deal 100 times out of 100. That one seed line doesn't make that much difference, and it isn't a fact that that one game would mean moving a seed line in either direction anyways.

Meanwhile, Seton Hall is our best win and they are going thru it right now. I'd rather see them right the ship because it only improves the quality of our best win. I'm not convinced that actually is not as good for us than an outside shot at one more Q1 win.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Ha - guess I wasn’t paying attention

I still hate PC

ECR will now implement a self imposed “time out”.. which has been happening way too much this year !!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If and when Dan leaves, it will be to a higher level program than SH imho....

Anyway, with the uncertainly about the FBI investigation, and the possibility that it could drag on for a while before more programs are implicated, I doubt Dan would take the chance of going to a blue blood that could be involved.

I also think it's more likely that again, when Dan leaves, it's to a program that is losing their coach to retirement. And not to a program that will take a lot of rebuilding.....

TP, there must be something in the air, because again I agree with you.....
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Too bad Isiah Whitehead wasn't a 1st round pick.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I agree w TP*

*assuming he isn’t being sarcastic !
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I always knew I liked you, rambone.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Nothing to do with Dan going to SH or anything, but I'm happy SH beat PC. PC attaining Q1 status for our resume would not be guaranteed even if they had won. PC is on the bubble; I would gladly move down from a 4 to a 5 in exchange for PC being left at home. Call me whatever you want for that. I'd make that deal 100 times out of 100. That one seed line doesn't make that much difference, and it isn't a fact that that one game would mean moving a seed line in either direction anyways.

Meanwhile, Seton Hall is our best win and they are going thru it right now. I'd rather see them right the ship because it only improves the quality of our best win. I'm not convinced that actually is not as good for us than an outside shot at one more Q1 win.
Agree 100%. URI fans want PC to make the tournament? I don't care if their losing means a difference of 1 seed either. I want their asshole fans to suffer as they watch us in the tourney and not their own team.....like we've had to do so often.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:Nothing to do with Dan going to SH or anything, but I'm happy SH beat PC. PC attaining Q1 status for our resume would not be guaranteed even if they had won. PC is on the bubble; I would gladly move down from a 4 to a 5 in exchange for PC being left at home. Call me whatever you want for that. I'd make that deal 100 times out of 100. That one seed line doesn't make that much difference, and it isn't a fact that that one game would mean moving a seed line in either direction anyways.

This.

Give me a 5 or 6 seed instead of a 4 if it means that team has to sit at home and watch us on TV
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What in god's name would kmac write about if URI is in and pc is out?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:What in god's name would kmac write about if URI is in and pc is out?
Syracuse volleyball?
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cooley must be livid....boo hoo....his team has been yo-yoing up and down a ton the last couple of weeks....one week they're solidly in the dance, the next week they are bubble meat....right now they are playing themselves out if they lose a couple more......
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote:What in god's name would kmac write about if URI is in and pc is out?
How its a bigger accomplishment to miss the NCAA in the Big East than it is to make it from the A10.

And he'll cry himself to sleep watching the Villanova game tape in the dark
3 x
---
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am with TP and ECR and Billyboy 78

I want PC NIT bound !!!!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:No Thursday action in the A-10:

In games involving URI OOC opponents.

Elon at Charleston. 7 PM.

Winthrop at UNC Asheville. 7 PM. On ESPNU.

Florida Gulf Coast at Stestson. 7 PM. On ESPN3.
All three OOC opponents win by double digits.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UNC Asheville basically assures itself homefield advantage thru the Big South tournament.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good for them!

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reef wrote:I am with TP and ECR and Billyboy 78

I want PC NIT bound !!!!
I haven't earned my place in the PC NIT club?

First to call it here I believe.

We don't want to share ProJo glory with them.

Go NIT!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Not an opponent, but holy fuck Drexel.

New NCAA record comeback, 34 points.

They were down 53-19 and came back to win 85-83
1 x
---
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'll be happy if we make the No Interest Tournament as long as Pee Cee ends up in a lower tournament. Hell, I'd even take a lower tournament if Pee Cee doesn't make any tournament at all. Next year I'm good with winning just one game as long as it's against Pee Cee and they don't make a tournament. I could give two $&%T$ if historically 12 seeds playing 5s have much more success in the tournament than 13 seeds playing 4s. I could give two craps if we get knocked out in the first round. As long as PEE CEE doesn't make the dance all my URI dreams will have been met.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:I'll be happy if we make the No Interest Tournament as long as Pee Cee ends up in a lower tournament. Hell, I'd even take a lower tournament if Pee Cee doesn't make any tournament at all. Next year I'm good with winning just one game as long as it's against Pee Cee and they don't make a tournament. I could give two $&%T$ if historically 12 seeds playing 5s have much more success in the tournament than 13 seeds playing 4s. I could give two craps if we get knocked out in the first round. As long as PEE CEE doesn't make the dance all my URI dreams will have been met.

EDITED TO ADD: RHODYRAM86 WAS BEING SARCASTIC. THE POST STANDS FOR ALL WHO ACTUALLY THINK THIS WAY
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:I'll be happy if we make the No Interest Tournament as long as Pee Cee ends up in a lower tournament. Hell, I'd even take a lower tournament if Pee Cee doesn't make any tournament at all. Next year I'm good with winning just one game as long as it's against Pee Cee and they don't make a tournament. I could give two $&%T$ if historically 12 seeds playing 5s have much more success in the tournament than 13 seeds playing 4s. I could give two craps if we get knocked out in the first round. As long as PEE CEE doesn't make the dance all my URI dreams will have been met.

Your "URI dreams" are met if we get knocked out in the first round? You're OK with the NIT or a lesser tournament? You're fine with only one win next year?

Fuck right off with anyone who agrees with it. Anyone who does is clearly not a URI fan, so stay the hell out of the Ryan Center and just picket outside PC games

EDITED TO ADD: RHODYRAM86 WAS BEING SARCASTIC. THE POST STANDS FOR ALL WHO ACTUALLY THINK THIS WAY
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I think he’s just trollin us Rhowdy.....

Sarcasm is fun.

:)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sarcasm is lost on my girlfriend....she believes everything I say.....and that's not a good thing.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Come on Rhowdy...I think you’ve seen enough of my posts to know where I’m coming from and to know we’re on the same page regarding this topic. Since you don’t know me personally I’ll give you a pass on not getting the sarcasm.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

Come on Rhowdy...I think you’ve seen enough of my posts to know where I’m coming from and to know we’re on the same page regarding this topic. Since you don’t know me personally I’ll give you a pass on not getting the sarcasm.
My fault, I didn't know you were being sarcastic. I'm going to leave these two posts up for those that actually do think what you said, but edit them appropriately.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

My fault, I didn't know you were being sarcastic. I'm going to leave these two posts up for those that actually do think what you said, but edit them appropriately.

I’ve come to see this argument is futile. When I see a post that says I’ll take a 5 or 6 seed over a 4 if it means PC is out of the tourney...well how do you argue against that stupidity/ignorance? These folks obviously don’t watch the tournament to see how 5s and 6s drop like flies in the first round...or more likely they just don’t care because...well the silver lining is that PC didn’t make it at all.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Are you f****ing kidding me? I'm one if the biggest URI fans there are, and have been for 45 years. I want URI to win a national championship every year and I want PC to go 0-31 every year. That's how it is. I don't root for our hated rival to win any game in any sport. If we're a 5 seed and lose to a 12 seed, we don't deserve to advance. If we're a 6 seed and lose to an 11 seed, we don't deserve to advance. You've got a lot of f****ing nerve telling me I'm not a URI fan.
3 x