Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Wow...what a hassle for Seton Hall.... not really a fan of the arena, although they do have a good brewhoffer selection.
And, I could really give a splat and care less about the team...although, it's usually good for URI when they beat other teams...

Syracuse hanging with UNC...go Orange!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Get out the jet dryers! Oh that's nascar my bad....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That’s hilarious .
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote:208...you probably think the Hatfields and McCoys are effed up, too?

Some of us are born with this hatred....some have had it bred into them......casual fans like you cannot understand our pain.....
Casual fans are the ones that don't want what's best for URI. You hate PC more than you love URI, you care about another school more than URI, that's casual
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:208...you probably think the Hatfields and McCoys are effed up, too?

Some of us are born with this hatred....some have had it bred into them......casual fans like you cannot understand our pain.....
Casual fans are the ones that don't want what's best for URI. You hate PC more than you love URI, you care about another school more than URI, that's casual
That's just ridiculous. URI should not rest it's season on anything related to pc. If they suck good for us, if they are good, good for us. I view pc the same as brown.
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With all due respect Rhowdy you are wrong......BTW the friars game will be finished tomorrow noon at Alumni Hall....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Ramulous wrote:With all due respect Rhowdy you are wrong......BTW the friars game will be finished tomorrow noon at Alumni Hall....

I'm with the URI fans on this debate.

Ramulous...are you serious about Alumni Hall?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Duquesne up by 3 at the Bonnies with around 10 minutes to go......Bonnies need to get over their win over Rhody and win this game or it will all be for naught.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:I also am a Sox fan and do not like the Yankees.....

It is harder to explain being a graduate of a college and the affinity to that school.....and then how you feel when fans of another school denigrate and make fun of your alma mater.....and the hatred it engenders....

I don't care if Yankee fans make fun of the Red Sox......I do care when fans of other schools make fun of the school I graduated from....it is a different kind of fandom.....

What is your alma mater 208?
The University of New Hampshire...roomed with a hockey player back in the day when they were a regular Frozen Four contender. :lol: There are always going to be folks that trash what you're attached to, school, business, neighborhood...you name it. But, to me, for sports it's all about the scoreboard. Being a Giants fan, living in an area just overrun with Pats fans...the 'rivalry' is all about 'scoreboard.' Yeah, the Pats are unbelievable dynasty, but whatever...I'll take the head to head scoreboard.

No matter where you go to college, there are going to be people at other colleges that trash it...But, you choose, and I chose, to go to the schools we went to for a reason. If people want to trash it, that's their prerogative...and if you're solid on and have no reservations about your choices...sticks and stones...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What an embarrassment for the City of Providence, the State of Rhode Island and PC. This will be all over the news. Game suspended. Who suspends basketball games?
This is not a new issue for the Dunkin Donuts Center
Heck, this is even an embarrassment for Dunkin Donuts
Don't understand how arenas all around the country do not have this problem like the Dunk does.
To me PC should simply have to forfeit the game. They actually got a reprieve since they were playing so bad - but seems odd that it simply goes into suspension mode and nobody wins or loses
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Alumni Hall tomorrow at noon....guess the Pirates are gonna miss that 9am chemistry class
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Glad to see the 100+ million of our tax dollars to upgrade that private school's court went to good use.

When can we expect the I-team hit piece?
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's a bigger home advantage for PC than the Dunk....louder and PC practices there.....SH has never seen the place yet.

Expect that game to go down to the wire.

If the Bonnies lose, there goes our Q1 win we just got?
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Bonnies turning it around. Now up 3.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:With all due respect Rhowdy you are wrong......BTW the friars game will be finished tomorrow noon at Alumni Hall....

The URI fans in the stands in 91 at the providence civic center?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

How do they decide which fans get into the game.....only around 2000 seats or so.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:What an embarrassment for the City of Providence, the State of Rhode Island and PC. This will be all over the news. Game suspended. Who suspends basketball games?
Don't understand how arenas all around the country do not have this problem like the Dunk does.
To me PC should simply have to forfeit the game. They actually got a reprieve since they were playing so bad - but seems odd that it simply goes into suspension mode and nobody wins or loses
What I really don't understand is why this place was never dubbed The Hole.
The Dunkin Donuts "Center"? I mean, what exactly is at the center of a donut...?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It is embarrassing for this to happen, but realistically there isn't a lot they can do. When the temperature changes this rapidly it is very difficult to modulate the temperature inside the arena fast enough to prevent the ice from melting. This happened last year, also - don't think they suspended the game, but it was definitely an issue (I think it was Creighton but it could have actually been Seton Hall then, too).

For personal reasons, I'm pretty sympathetic to the people at the Civic Center that are going to wear this. No doubt it is terrible optics but science isn't on their side.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Us casual fans really need the Bonnies to win......
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:What an embarrassment for the City of Providence, the State of Rhode Island and PC. This will be all over the news. Game suspended. Who suspends basketball games?
What I really don't understand is why this place was never dubbed The Hole.
The Dunkin Donuts "Center"? I mean, what exactly is at the center of a donut...?
because its a shit hole
0 x
---
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

The side that is best for the success of the URI Rams. Not for my personal agenda.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That sucks for Seton Hall. They were supposed to be back in Jersey tonight. Now, they stay another night, play at noon, and don’t get back until tomorrow afternoon. Luckily for them, their away game on Saturday is against St. John’s. Only students and faculty are allowed in to watch.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

The side that is best for the success of the URI Rams. Not for my personal agenda.
The best for success is the friars suck and URI makes the NCAAT every year. That is what's best for URI in this backwards state
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

wrong. SH is sinking like a rock and has a bunch of tough games left. we need them to right the ship more. They are our marquee win, not PC.

In addition, PC does not make or break our season. They can go 0-30 every season for all I care. We dont need them
2 x
---
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Bonnie's up 59-56 on Duquense w 4 min remaining
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Joe95 wrote:Bonnie's up 59-56 on Duquense w 4 min remaining
I'd love to see EC and Terrell get calls like Adams, where he drives untouched and still gets to the line
1 x
---
---
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

The best for success is the friars suck and URI makes the NCAAT every year. That is what's best for URI in this backwards state

Unlike the NBA, the success of an NCAA team is not based solely on their won/loss record. Style points count. I know it doesn't fit your agenda, but beating a good PC team is better for URI than beating a bad one.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If pc didn't matter, they wouldn't matter.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Mobley is 1-10 from the field tonight and 1-8 from 3pt range
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

#15 Clemson lost to VA Tech
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:

wrong. SH is sinking like a rock and has a bunch of tough games left. we need them to right the ship more. They are our marquee win, not PC.

In addition, PC does not make or break our season. They can go 0-30 every season for all I care. We dont need them
Yeah, that makes sense...we need Seton Hall now, but never PC. good thinkn. <facepalm>
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Bonnies survive.

That Grady kid for Davidson is getting better game by game......

Mason deep sixes the Hawks at the buzzer.

The middle of the A10 is a mess.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote:Bonnies survive.

That Grady kid for Davidson is getting better game by game......

Mason deep sixes the Hawks at the buzzer.

The middle of the A10 is a mess.

yes...it would be nice to look at tourney seedings and who our best matchups would be, but after 3rd place the conference is such a muddled mess it's all but impossible.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Texas Tech fall to 5-9 Okie State.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GM St. Joes CRAZY finish.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote:It is embarrassing for this to happen, but realistically there isn't a lot they can do. When the temperature changes this rapidly it is very difficult to modulate the temperature inside the arena fast enough to prevent the ice from melting. This happened last year, also - don't think they suspended the game, but it was definitely an issue (I think it was Creighton but it could have actually been Seton Hall then, too).
It was Marquette, I believe. Either way, it was the game where the refs actually modified the rules due to the floor. They wouldn't call traveling if a ball handler slipped on a wet spot.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Another big game tonight. Bama at Auburn. I hope Bo Jackson's alma mater hands the Tide their lunch. I hate Alabama and always will for that snide comment Nick Saban made about URI. Alabama should lose the rest of their games and they should burn down that school. GO TIGERS! :) :) :)
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:i'll pull for the friars tonight. going by RPI wizard, if SH loses tonight and ALL 3 of their final regular season games, their RPI drops to 51 and URI loses a Q1 win. If SH wins only at St. John's their RPI is 42 and if their only win is at home to Butler, their RPI is 39. I'd roll the dice that they can win one of those games (of course this doesn't take into consideration the Big East tournament) and remain a Q1 win for Rhody.

As for PC, a win tonight tentatively puts them with a 33 RPI. They then play at GTown and X before finishing with St. Johns at home. Assuming a win tonight, a win only against St. Johns would have them at 39 RPI. A win against GTown and St Johns has them at 25.

So if you think SH can win any of their last 3 games, you should be pulling for PC tonight. If you think SH will lose all three of their final games, then you either want SH to win tonight or we need PC to win at Gtown and home for St. Johns.

I'm going to be greedy and root for a PC win tonight. I think SH can win one of their final 3 then i'll hope PC beats St. Johns home and wins at Gtown. In this scenario we keep a Q1 win vs. SH and pick up a Q1 win vs PC.
Any of you "fans" whose hatred for PC comes before URI's seeding in the tournament needs to carefully read through this ^ and reconsider.

Also let's not use the conspiracy theory that Hurley might leave us for Hall as reasoning. I wouldn't even say they're freefalling that badly. They lost to X and Nova, (two top 4 teams) and lost the other two games to heartbreaking losses of 3 points apiece. They have plenty of time to right the ship including the NCAAs, where it really matters. Hall losing on the road to PC won't cause them to fire their HC and hire Hurley.

We want PC as a Quadrant 1 dub
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:Another big game tonight. Bama at Auburn. I hope Bo Jackson's alma mater hands the Tide their lunch. I hate Alabama and always will for that snide comment Nick Saban made about URI. Alabama should lose the rest of their games and they should burn down that school. GO TIGERS! :) :) :)
^ THIS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:It is embarrassing for this to happen, but realistically there isn't a lot they can do. When the temperature changes this rapidly it is very difficult to modulate the temperature inside the arena fast enough to prevent the ice from melting. This happened last year, also - don't think they suspended the game, but it was definitely an issue (I think it was Creighton but it could have actually been Seton Hall then, too).

For personal reasons, I'm pretty sympathetic to the people at the Civic Center that are going to wear this. No doubt it is terrible optics but science isn't on their side.
It's not the first time
Where else has this ever happened? What other teams? Arenas?

Not buying the excuse
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:

It's not the first time
Where else has this ever happened? What other teams? Arenas?

Not buying the excuse

Warm weather causes water on floor

Jan 26, 2010

Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer

FacebookShare
TwitterTweet
Facebook Messenger
PinterestPinterest
@EmailEmail
°print
£comment

BOSTON -- Monday's game took Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers back to his playing days for all the wrong reasons.

Unseasonably warm temperatures caused condensation to form on the floor of the TD Garden during Boston's 95-89 win over the Los Angeles Clippers Monday, leading to a brief delay as workers mopped the court to keep it dry late in the first quarter.

Workers wipe down condensation rising up from the floor, which covers the Bruins' ice, during Monday's game between the Celtics and Clippers. AP Photo/Charles Krupa

Rivers said the game was nearly stopped because of the condensation, which reminded him of the game from Nov. 28, 1990, when a tilt between the Celtics and Rivers' Hawks was halted with Boston out front, 37-22, 1:30 into the second quarter due to a slippery floor from similar conditions.

The Celtics and Hawks resumed play a month later with the Celtics emerging with a 132-104 triumph.

"The Celtics had the court wet on the Hawks' side, offensively, and got up by 30 and then called the game, which the people in Atlanta thought was very unfair at the time," said Rivers, who also joked Monday's game reminded him of a recent preseason game in Worcester that was canceled due to flooding.

Monday's game featured a short break with 2:28 to go in the first quarter
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ok, one,
8 years ago
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:ok, one,
8 years ago
https://www.twincities.com/2017/03/06/t ... ter-floor/

http://6abc.com/sports/ice-under-court- ... -/1633369/

...and pretty sure I've heard of others...doesn't happen a lot, but at least every couple years...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster - do you think that we all track these instances as a hobby? Unless science only works in Providence (and Boston), I'm sure it has happened elsewhere. It could be that our specific climate makes it more likely to occur and therefore occurs with more frequency here. Totally possible. But given the specific conditions, there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I don't know what the Civic Center has had going on for the last few days, but if their heating/AC system is not big enough to cool the entire building fast enough to counteract the rising atmospheric temperature, what could they do? They couldn't have turned the AC on two days ago like they probably would have needed to if they've had anything else going on in the building.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great stuff,

Happened this year, happened last year but the Dunk GM says "It's not me".

Interestingly, Dunkin’ Donuts Center general manager Larry Lepore disputed the referees’ decision. He said that while the building does not have a dehumidifier, the sub-floor that sits on top of the ice and below the wood playing floor was not wet or slippery.
“It’s interesting that a player fell in front of the PC bench and then someone else in front of the Seton Hall bench,” Lepore said. “Where I disagree with the officials is if it was condensation it wouldn’t have happened that quickly. I think it was more sweat or water in front of those benches.”

The Friars faced a similar situation last year in a Feb. 25 win over Marquette where a warm day and large crowd led to rising temperatures in the building and wet floor conditions. That game was halted a few times but ultimately continued to the end.

But then Driscoll says “It’s a really unfortunate set of circumstances but the reality is the ice obviously caused condensation,”

Glad the Ryan Center was built for Basketball. I hate those Basketball/Hockey Combo arenas

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ons--video
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:ramster - do you think that we all track these instances as a hobby? Unless science only works in Providence (and Boston), I'm sure it has happened elsewhere. It could be that our specific climate makes it more likely to occur and therefore occurs with more frequency here. Totally possible. But given the specific conditions, there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I don't know what the Civic Center has had going on for the last few days, but if their heating/AC system is not big enough to cool the entire building fast enough to counteract the rising atmospheric temperature, what could they do? They couldn't have turned the AC on two days ago like they probably would have needed to if they've had anything else going on in the building.

It's all irrelevant. It wasn't the Temperature or the Ice below. Larry Lepore, the Dunk GM says so.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Wait are people so blinded by hatred of PC that they don’t get science?

Yeah the optics are really bad on this but the reality is if you have an ice rink cooling a surface but temperatures that are significantly higher than that in the air, where they meet will form condensation.

Thank God we have an amazing basketball only facility so we don’t have to worry about this...but it’s an issue anywhere there’s a floor over an ice rink.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ramster wrote:ok, one,
8 years ago
https://www.twincities.com/2017/03/06/t ... ter-floor/

http://6abc.com/sports/ice-under-court- ... -/1633369/

...and pretty sure I've heard of others...doesn't happen a lot, but at least every couple years...

False alarm. Larry Lepore says somebody just spilled some water on the floor and didn't clean it up.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ons--video
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:ramster - do you think that we all track these instances as a hobby? Unless science only works in Providence (and Boston), I'm sure it has happened elsewhere. It could be that our specific climate makes it more likely to occur and therefore occurs with more frequency here. Totally possible. But given the specific conditions, there isn't much you can do to stop it.

It's all irrelevant. It wasn't the Temperature or the Ice below. Larry Lepore, the Dunk GM says so.
Right...he said "players slipped on sweat or water from water bottles, also noting that the incidents occurred near team benches."
Sounds like a cover job? Pretty sure there's water bottles (and sweat) at a lot of games that don't end up getting suspended....
0 x