Reynolds piece inaccuracies

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Reynolds had a piece on Hurley today delivering his promises. It unfortunately had several errors:

Hurley’s vision comes to fruition
BILL REYNOLDS
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... 0111114920

Then came Jared Terrell and Jason Garrett, Terrell turning down Ohio State

As any real follower of the Rams knows, it should be Jarvis, not Jason and Oklahoma State, not Ohio State.

ATP Note: Ramulous also started a thread, which I've since merged to keep the outstanding Matt Norlander CBS thread clean. Ramulous' first post is here:
Ramulous wrote:In an otherwise complimentary piece on Dan Hurley by Bill Reynolds in today's ProCoJo there will several glaring mistakes.....

...He stated that Billy Baron left to join his father at Canisius....which was true....but he went on to state that Jonathan Holton drifted away...which was inaccurate.....Holton had some disciplinary problems and ended up having a good career at West Virginia.....Jordan Hare was the player who drifted away...

Then he misspelled Xavier Munford to Xavier Mumford....

And then he stated that Jared Terrell turned down Ohio State to come to Rhody......he turned down Oklahoma St. to come to Rhody....

I am very disappointed in Reynolds' lack of effort on this column....
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: How Dan Hurley Finally Chilled Out - by Matt Norlander, CBS Sports

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'd say I wouldn't wipe my arse with his columns, but that would be an insult to my arse.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Vomit. Dream season no matter what happens. Little Rhody should be happy already. Garbage lazy piece.

Can’t expect him to know Jarvis’ name after 4 seasons.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......and he again used the “frosting” comment, as if Dan has achieved checking off a box, and everything has been done.......I do not see it that way......maybe Bill felt he had to write something about the team’s success.....try a little harder Bill......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

ATPTourFan wrote:Vomit. Dream season no matter what happens. Little Rhody should be happy already. Garbage lazy piece.

Can’t expect him to know Jarvis’ name after 4 seasons.
Xavier “Mum”ford?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

"If they get to the NCAA Tournament". Does he not follow college basketball at all?
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Bunky should retire .... oh wait, he’s been checked out out for a couple decades already.
Last edited by Rhody74 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Embarrassing.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Billy Reynolds you are better than that !!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Oklahoma state not Ohio State
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

In an otherwise complimentary piece on Dan Hurley by Bill Reynolds in today's ProCoJo there will several glaring mistakes.....

...He stated that Billy Baron left to join his father at Canisius....which was true....but he went on to state that Jonathan Holton drifted away...which was inaccurate.....Holton had some disciplinary problems and ended up having a good career at West Virginia.....Jordan Hare was the player who drifted away...

Then he mispelled Xavier Munford to Xavier Mumford....

And then he stated that Jared Terrell turned down Ohio State to come to Rhody......he turned down Oklahoma St. to come to Rhody....

3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Reynolds piece inaccuracies

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramulous wrote:In an otherwise complimentary piece on Dan Hurley by Bill Reynolds in today's ProCoJo there will several glaring mistakes.....

Then he mispelled Xavier Munford to Xavier Mumford....

You forgot that he also said the coach of the Dallas Cowboys is on our team.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also that "If they get to the NCAA Tournament, the Ram's biggest name will be Dan Hurley, not any of the players" What a dbag.
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Didn’t read it.

Don’t care.

ProJo is done. Junk.
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:Also that "If they get to the NCAA Tournament, the Ram's biggest name will be Dan Hurley, not any of the players" What a dbag.
Don't forget, Reynolds doesn't know who Stan Robinson is. I wonder if he knows who Jared Terrell is.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This about sums up Bunky's knowledge of college basketball. Guy is a hack and a has been.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College senior guard Weyinmi Efejuku (Fresh Meadows, N.Y.) was named Rhode Island Co-Player of the Year on Monday, March 30 at the Cox Sports R.I. Basketball Media Luncheon in Warwick, R.I. Efejuku and URI's Jim Baron were named co-recipients of the Bill Reynolds Award. Efejuku is the third Friar to win R.I. Player of the Year honors, joining former Friars Ryan Gomes '05 and Herbert Hill '07.
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Didn’t Holton end up being dismissed from West Virginia? I thought he had some issues towards the end.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Good enough for you now Bunky????

"It has been 2.5 years since Dan Hurley took over the men’s basketball team at Rhode Island and according to Bill Reynolds of the Providence Journal, it is time for the Rams to start producing victories."
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......he seems to think/State Dan has now accomplished everything he came here to do, and we all should be statified and take whatever else is just “frosting”.......Hey Bill, I don’t think so......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Also that "If they get to the NCAA Tournament, the Ram's biggest name will be Dan Hurley, not any of the players" What a dbag.
Don't forget, Reynolds doesn't know who Stan Robinson is. I wonder if he knows who Jared Terrell is.
Explain the doesn't know who Stan Robinson is thing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
When Stan hit that 3 pointer from the corner to win the game a couple of weeks ago, Reynolds basically said players that nobody has ever heard of are winning games for URI, specifically referring to Stan with that statement.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote: Don't forget, Reynolds doesn't know who Stan Robinson is. I wonder if he knows who Jared Terrell is.
When Stan hit that 3 pointer from the corner to win the game a couple of weeks ago, Reynolds basically said players that nobody has ever heard of are winning games for URI, specifically referring to Stan with that statement.
:roll:

Yea wow.....

Kinda like how nobody remembers that guy who wore number 13 and dominated Oregon in the NCAA tournament last year....
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This guy was a lazy, cliche-riddled hack back when I was a kid. Glad to see some traditions have been maintained.
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

You've been around a long time Bunky if you can remember a good column written by Bill Reynolds.
And there's no truth to the rumor Bunky that if Rhody repeats as A10 champions, a Dan Hurley statue will replace the independent man.
And if you think the URI defense causes confusion for their opponents, you've never been to a session of the Rhode Island Legislature.
The act is tired. He mails it in. He's only in it for the free food in the press room and the sideline pass.
7 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

But I thought the projo was a totally fair paper that treated us and PC evenly and those that said otherwise were chasing ghosts.......
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I stopped reading Projo poop cuz now they want to charge people to read online
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

wow...a Rhody hoops ad during the NBA all star game...
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:wow...a Rhody hoops ad during the NBA all star game...
For real? That's awesome!!

So tired of those g-d This Is Friartown billboards.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote:Come on Billy Reynolds you are better than that !!
No, actually he isnt, Bunky. He's even worse. MUCH worse.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I hope when I'm in my 70s I can have a retirement job like Reynolds's. Guy should be a greeter at Walmart.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:I hope when I'm in my 70s I can have a retirement job like Reynolds's. Guy should be a greeter at Walmart.
nah, Walmart actually has some hiring standards.
3 x
---
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I think we can keep the criticisms focused on his work, right?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I think we can keep the criticisms focused on his work, right?
Work???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:I think we can keep the criticisms focused on his work, right?
we are.

Red said he is incompetent, phoning it in and is more suited for a job like being a Walmart greeter.

I implied he was even worse than that by joking that Walmart expects you to be able to do your job.
1 x
---
---
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

The projo and Reynolds are where the American dream ran for cover years ago....
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Wasted my time reading this "article" for the first time today. Literally any person on this board could take 15 minutes and write up a better piece than that. Inaccurate and condescending.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

At least some corrections (player names) have been made on the web site version, if not on the digital version of Projo. Still mentions Ohio State and other oddities.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... o-fruition
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI'21 wrote:Wasted my time reading this "article" for the first time today. Literally any person on this board could take 15 minutes and write up a better piece than that. Inaccurate and condescending.
I think I could do inaccurate and condescending in way less than 15 minutes....
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Do it! That would be hilarious. Post it here.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Do it! That would be hilarious. Post it here.

In his 7th year at Rhode Island University in Kingstown, RI, it looks like the older brother of Bob Hurley and youngest son of Dan Hurley, Jr. is finally starting to gain some traction. Hard-pressed to match the kind of win totals of the Jim Barum era, it looks like the Rams are threatening to emerge as one of the elite programs in the state.

With a win over the marquee big brother steamroller in Providence this year, the Rams find themselves propelled to a potential tournament berth for the first time since 1968.

So, how did she do it?

The first thing Don did was to seek advice from the coach up in Providence. Ed Cooley, the long-time coach of the Friars was eager to help out the little brother program down by the beaches. And, while Ed declines to reveal what he shared with Don – and in fact denies he ever spoke to him - there can be no doubt that the URI program would not be where it is today without the input of Easy Ed. In fact, it might just be Ed’s presence in the state that has provided the biggest boost.

After 3 seasons of losing records, the team finally reached mediocrity in Herley’s 4th season…a short-lived highlight, before a major stumble when he couldn’t clear the hurdle of injury to DC Mathew, one of the clue guys on the squad. Many questioned whether O’Hurley had what it took to thrive in this basketball crazy sailing state. Now, finally, in his 8th season, Stan Hurley looks like he has the RIU poised for a possible NCAA bid, which would be their first since 1962….by far the longest drought.

Where to start…?

Coach Dick thought the first thing he needed to do was bring in someone from the New York City area that he was so familiar with…welcome Xavier McDaniel. But, the real first key was the aforementioned DC Matthieu, a power forward from the Minneapolis area. That was soon followed by Harvey Martin, a rough tough Cowboy of a power forward from Block Island. Then, when he was able to convince OK State forward Jason Garrett to turn down the Cowboys to be a Ram, along came Jaron Terrell, who spurned Miami (OH) and brought his talents down from Falmouth, MA.

None of these are guys you’ve heard of…so, how could Bob take such a collection of misfits and mediocrity and make them into a team that won games? Well, the jerry is still out on that one. There’s still plenty of season left, and it’s too early to talk about actually making the NCAA’s. But, still riding the high of that miraculous, lucky win over national power PC, Don Thule’s team has already had a dream season. Any Ram fan would have to be satisfied with where this team is now, even if they didn’t win another game until 2020. Anything else, like a run in the A-10 tournament, or - yes, I’m saying it – a potential NCAA first four game – would be just gravy on the cake.
15 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Do it! That would be hilarious. Post it here.

In his 7th year at Rhode Island University in Kingstown, RI, it looks like the older brother of Bob Hurley and youngest son of Dan Hurley, Jr. is finally starting to gain some traction. Hard-pressed to match the kind of win totals of the Jim Barum era, it looks like the Rams are threatening to emerge as one of the elite programs in the state.

With a win over the marquee big brother steamroller in Providence this year, the Rams find themselves propelled to a potential tournament berth for the first time since 1968.

So, how did she do it?

The first thing Don did was to seek advice from the coach up in Providence. Ed Cooley, the long-time coach of the Friars was eager to help out the little brother program down by the beaches. And, while Ed declines to reveal what he shared with Don – and in fact denies he ever spoke to him - there can be no doubt that the URI program would not be where it is today without the input of Easy Ed. In fact, it might just be Ed’s presence in the state that has provided the biggest boost.

After 3 seasons of losing records, the team finally reached mediocrity in Herley’s 4th season…a short-lived highlight, before a major stumble when he couldn’t clear the hurdle of injury to DC Mathew, one of the clue guys on the squad. Many questioned whether O’Hurley had what it took to thrive in this basketball crazy sailing state. Now, finally, in his 8th season, Stan Hurley looks like he has the RIU poised for a possible NCAA bid, which would be their first since 1962….by far the longest drought.

Where to start…?

Coach Dick thought the first thing he needed to do was bring in someone from the New York City area that he was so familiar with…welcome Xavier McDaniel. But, the real first key was the aforementioned DC Matthieu, a power forward from the Minneapolis area. That was soon followed by Harvey Martin, a rough tough Cowboy of a power forward from Block Island. Then, when he was able to convince OK State forward Jason Garrett to turn down the Cowboys to be a Ram, along came Jaron Terrell, who spurned Miami (OH) and brought his talents down from Falmouth, MA.

None of these are guys you’ve heard of…so, how could Bob take such a collection of misfits and mediocrity and make them into a team that won games? Well, the jerry is still out on that one. There’s still plenty of season left, and it’s too early to talk about actually making the NCAA’s. But, still riding the high of that miraculous, lucky win over national power PC, Don Thule’s team has already had a dream season. Any Ram fan would have to be satisfied with where this team is now, even if they didn’t win another game until 2020. Anything else, like a run in the A-10 tournament, or - yes, I’m saying it – a potential NCAA first four game – would be just gravy on the cake.
That's hilarious! Well done.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LOL - brilliant!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Boom...roasted
0 x
---
---
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Excellent, except for one thing: You used too many multi-sentence paragraphs. His one-sentence grafs fill the space with half the words, meaning he can get back to his Lawrence Welk reruns in half the time.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

THAT was OUTstanding! I was laughing out loud just half way through it and didn't stop til the end.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......sent it to Bill.......he actually might enjoy it.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Every time Dan's name changed, I cracked up.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:.......sent it to Bill.......he actually might enjoy it.....
LOL...for the sake of transparency...I really don't know Mr. Koch or his writing well enough to have an ax to grind with him. I keep forgetting there's newspapers until people here post links to ProJo stories and even then, only get to read 6 a month. Wrote the above because of the challenge to combine condescension and inaccuracy, which seemed like the perfect vehicle for sarcasm... And, when ATP opened the door, I had to jump through with both feet...I mean, someone had to, right?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Excellent, except for one thing: You used too many multi-sentence paragraphs. His one-sentence grafs fill the space with half the words, meaning he can get back to his Lawrence Welk reruns in half the time.
Not one, but TWO Lawrence Welk references in one day...if you haven't seen, URI Baseball made # 2 on ESPN SC Top Ten and there was a Welk Reference there. It was on the baseball season thread, but here it is again for reference:

"...Makes the catch in the middle of the Lawrence Welk show. Reference lost on younger viewers."
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Boom...roasted
i thought boom was a good thing?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE