2/20 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/20 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Please don't play like that again.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ugly wins count as much as pretty ones.

We used to lose these games.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Probably our worst game all year
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

That wasn’t good for my health
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m still shaking with rage. Those refs were awful...both ways.
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

GRIT. HEART. FUCK.

only words I can think/say outloud right now.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That kid on LaSalle is nba worthy.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I could not bring myself to post anything watching this game.....wtf....93 points given up, ot or not?

Wtf happened to our defense? Also, sorry but Dan needs to watch film of himself over coaching at the end of games. This has become a disturbing trend.

yeah it's a win....the alternative would REALLY suck.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote:Probably our worst game all year
I actually don’t think we played terribly. La Salle played pretty well, but EXTREMELY hard. This is what I was worried about in the Vegas line thread - these last games for us against teams without anything else to play for are dangerous for us. This was La Salle’s super bowl. Get ready to see that kind of effort four more times. At least.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......a Batman and Batman gotta_____________you fill in the blank
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Whew we escaped with a win that probably took a couple years off our lives

Not a big fan of the fouling up 3 all the time. We play 4 guards mostly and aren't strong on the rebounding block outside of Cyril

Let them make a contested 3 in our face for the tie next time
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What was up with EC missing all five free throw attempts? If he had made a few, they got out of there in regulation.

Team seems off these past two games. Not showing that same drive and effort. Getting out-hustled. Hurley needs to get them back on track and finish the season strong.
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

A win is a win! #GoRhody
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:
theblueram wrote:Probably our worst game all year
I actually don’t think we played terribly. La Salle played pretty well, but EXTREMELY hard. This is what I was worried about in the Vegas line thread - these last games for us against teams without anything else to play for are dangerous for us. This was La Salle’s super bowl. Get ready to see that kind of effort four more times. At least.
EC was like ofer on the line. Killed us. The defense was non existent. How can you say we didn't play terribly? Against that rank team? That was appalling.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True LaSalle is a different team at home.....

But how do we get refs like this? Blue Man is right...in the past we would have lost games like this.

Lots of work to do boys....
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Does everyone remember when we weren’t a good team but would play out of our minds when a ranked team came to town?

There’s no “disturbing trend” of us not being able to close out games. Not closing out games is what happens when you lose.

Conference games aren’t easy. Conference games on the road are worse. Conference games on the road when you are a teams only chance at beating a ranked team and giving their fans something to cheer about can’t be expected to be cake walks.

It wasn’t a pretty game but La Salle played their Super Bowl tonight. These wins will help us more in March than coasting to a 20 point victory would’ve.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

^ I can go with that....it probably will help more than a 20 point win would have...but, a 20 point win would have been much less stressful here on the homefront... :lol: :lol:
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Didn't realize EC went 0 for 5....that's pathetic. Not clutch.

Jeff Dowtin...beast....thank you he's a sophomore. He at least is clutch most of the time.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

blueram - EC not shooting well isn’t the same as the team not playing well. They scored 95 points, despite 3-19 from three. They took care of the call and turned the other team over. It wasn’t our best game of the year by any stretch, but I didn’t think they played terribly. Sometimes you have to give some credit to opponent. Not only did the best player in the league have the best game of his career, you had other guys making big, timely, quality plays.

URI could have played better, for sure, but this wasn't in the bottom 10 of games we’ve played this year. On the road against a team with a player as good as Johnson and playing as hard as they did, a lesser team wouldn’t have held on. We did, somehow.
3 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Just a terrible game all around. We need to stop playing clock when we are up only 7 with 4:00 minutes in the game. We stopped being aggressive... took some forced late shot clock shots. Way to much 1 on everyone/hero ball. LaSalle always gives us trouble... they are well coached. We were sloppy and played horrible D. Missed FT’s were completely out of control. I think we came in way over confident like this game was going to be breeze. We have played to well all year to start shitting the bed now. I hope Dan gets them back to themselves by Friday.
5 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Thought that game might make a run a most total fouls in an ncaa game. Not close. The record is 84 in 1953. Only 52 tonight. ONLY FIFTY TWO. What? Average is about 30. Horrible job by these refs tonight. Horrible.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I agree that slowing the game down at the end is frustrating to watch. We do all that work for 35 minutes to wear out teams, then we sit on the ball for 30 seconds while the opposing team rests.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Section104 wrote:That wasn’t good for my health
Same here. I had to just start cleaning and listening to the TV in overtime.
So many issues popping up that we really haven’t seen in awhile.
Concerns going forward. Need to right the ship.
I agree road wins are tough but being 12-22 FT at one point, shooting 16% from three and getting out rebounded by 18 has nothing to do with a tough road game.

Dan needs to adjust his end of game strategy. It doesn’t work with this team. The slow down doesn’t work. He takes the momentum out of the offense by playing not to lose. Rhody is the better team. If he starts it with 1:00 left that would make more sense.
He has now done it at UMass (12 point lead shrunk to 2), at Bonnies (6 point lead with 4:30 to loss by 3) and tonight (7 point lead with the ball with 3:00 goes to OT).
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Yeaaah.... I’m not putting in The effort to edit and upload this one sorry lol
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ugly game, but a W none the less. after the loss to SBU I thought this would be our most difficult and most important remaining game. I thought we may have a let down and felt we just needed a win no matter by how much and no matter how ugly. another loss could have started a bad run.

now they have two games in a sold out Ryan Center. It is now time to be playing your best ball. I think they come home, play well and get two Ws...regain the focus, win at Davidson and right the ship going into the A10 tourney.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:We have played to well all year to start shitting the bed now. I hope Dan gets them back to themselves by Friday.
What you’re going to think is Dan getting them back to themselves is actually just going to be the difference between playing at home and playing on the road. Crazy that people don’t get how this works.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......on to Dayton......with less wind in the sales......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:......on to Dayton......with less wind in the sails......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LaSalle’s defense on our FT shooting was awesome and their fan (singular) was so loud. Hard to play in that environment.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
Tom98 wrote:We have played to well all year to start shitting the bed now. I hope Dan gets them back to themselves by Friday.
What you’re going to think is Dan getting them back to themselves is actually just going to be the difference between playing at home and playing on the road. Crazy that people don’t get how this works.
Which is actually one of the coolest things about college hoops...the environment...matters.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:
Compare how Rhody played tonight on the road in arena with 2,000 fans (half of them Rhody fans per Koch) to how they played at VCU (packed hostile arena) and at Dayton (soldout). No comparison. Rhody missing all those FTs and missing 16 threes (16%) is on Rhody and not due to LaSalle.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s not just the fans that go into the difference between playing at home and playing on the road, career boy.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

48-30 on rebounds means our effort wasn't the best folks....some games we're great on the boards and some games we just aren't...like it isn't close.

And the slowdown with a small lead at the end of games has to stop....Dan has to see it isn't working, why keep doing it? Against better teams it means an L...case in point Bonnies.

TP....I think we just don't play with the same energy when we play in front of small crowds. When we're aggressive is when we are at our best. Offense and defense.

Hopefully that bodes well for the remaining games...including the A10 tourney.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:It’s not just the fans that go into the difference between playing at home and playing on the road, career boy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Nail biting win but a win at that. Let's get these boys home and get some energy back into them by playing at home in front of two great crowds. Get two amazing atmospheres in RC to send them to Davidson and beyond with some more confidence and energy
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think I'd rather be a point or two ahead or a point or two behind with a few minutes left than to be up by 6 or 8. We have to stay aggressive offensively that way. When we play slow, we stink.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:48-30 on rebounds means our effort wasn't the best folks....some games we're great on the boards and some games we just aren't...like it isn't close.

And the slowdown with a small lead at the end of games has to stop....Dan has to see it isn't working, why keep doing it? Against better teams it means an L...case in point Bonnies.

TP....I think we just don't play with the same energy when we play in front of small crowds. When we're aggressive is when we are at our best. Offense and defense.

Hopefully that bodes well for the remaining games...including the A10 tourney.
I was more prone to agree with strategy criticism when they were usually losing these kinds of games.
But, now, they're winning most of them...so, more inclined to just roll with what the coach wants to do...
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone, I don't know if I'm the only one who saw it this way or what, but La Salle played hard as hell tonight. That intensity was hard for us to match; we can say cliches about having to bring it every night, but that was their biggest game of the year and for us it just wasn't. That's human nature.

Aside from the intensity disparity, the two things that killed us were our three point and free throw shooting and their scoring in the paint.

Maybe it was the silent arena, or the unusual backdrop, or just an off night or whatever the case, but URI did not shoot it well.

The other problem they had in this game really didn't have a lot to do with home or away or size of the crowd - Doc Giannini had a great plan to attack our aggressive defense, spreading us out and relentlessly attacking the rim on penetration and on the offensive glass. All of our guys were pressuring 30 feet from the basket and not in position to collapse to help on penetration or rebound.

I am somewhat sympathetic to the idea that we are so good at what we do defensively that any deviation from that is cheating ourselves. But when the other team's plan is so obviously exploiting what you're doing, I feel like you have to have another thing you can go to in those situations. It's like the dumb Steelers playing their zone no matter what as Brady hangs 50 on them over and over. It may work against most teams, but if someone is killing you with it, it might make sense to try to change the look for them.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Hurley kept his cool tonight. Could easily have lost his mind.

The only trend I see is a vastly improved Rhody coaching staff.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I think I'd rather be a point or two ahead or a point or two behind with a few minutes left than to be up by 6 or 8. We have to stay aggressive offensively that way. When we play slow, we stink.
If this keeps happening it's going to drive all of us straight to the looney bin.

We did a little of this against Oregon too....with some help from our friends the zebras...

TP yes, the way we overplay and gamble some times on defense can leave us open to that type of offensive attack....and Dan has to adjust because other coaches must have been taking notes watching this one.

Our lack of interior D sometimes rears it's ugly head.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think I'd rather be a point or two ahead or a point or two behind with a few minutes left than to be up by 6 or 8. We have to stay aggressive offensively that way. When we play slow, we stink.
The people at the gym thought I was crazy yelling "keep playing, don't slow down" but we have trouble when we can't just probe and attack within the full shot clock.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

If we see going to foul up 3.. at least let a second off the clock .. LOL

whatever.. we won so I’m happy

I literally wouldn’t be able to sleep if we blew that game

Now instead of tossin and turning all night I’ll be ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZ
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm really confused why more people didn't have us going undefeated in the prediction contest. It sounds like most everybody thinks we should blow out every team by 30.
9 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It looked to me in the first half that we weren’t even trying for offensive rebounds. Everyone was heading back to set up the defense. Which was extremely poor us and letting people get to the rim. I think the strategy was again tonight to let their star (Johnson) beat us and stop everyone else. He had a huge night but we get out with the W.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:
If this keeps happening it's going to drive all of us straight to the looney bin.

We did a little of this against Oregon too....with some help from our friends the zebras...
It can be a valuable tool if you're playing with a lead against a supposedly superior team, and if you're good at it. We're not good at it, and we use it against supposedly inferior teams. I hope Dan scratches it. If there's a couple of minutes left and you're up by a certain amount, you start doing the math. How many possessions are left for the opposing team if we run clock? But with 6 minutes left, it makes no sense, unless you're up by 20 points.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I agree with Truepoint. Both Saint Bonaventure and LaSalle spread us out in the defensive end and picked us apart in the lane. I think we can see expect to see more of this in the future.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billy - the thing is if you can burn 15-20 seconds and then just get into your offense it's a fine strategy. But for some reason we hold and hold and hold and hold until there is 5 seconds on the shot clock and we force some terrible shot or throw the ball away. The idea should be to just shorten the game slightly by trimming 15-20 second here or there, but when we go to that stall we are ZERO threat to score and it's like the game becomes us having to keep them under whatever number we are at with 4:00 to go. That's a really tough spot to put yourself in. You have to keep attacking, but there is a way to trim a little clock and continue to play. Very frustrating to watch how we have been managing those situations
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hope we don't have to see BJ Johnson again...

If Dan were to have a nightmare tonight I'd expect Bj Johnson to be in it...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's not draw LaSalle in the A10 tourney. They are athletic, as are the Dukes.

Teams are starting to figure us out...if they have the tools to take advantage of it.

Can we adjust with our thin frontcourt? They are taking advantage of Berry especially....it sure is showing lately.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Not sure why we continue to use our center to hedge out by the 3 pt line and leave their big unguarded, that plays seems to rarely create a turnover especially with Berry who is to slow to fall back and guard his man. More times than not it leads to an easy basket like the end of the Bonaventure game.

Onto Dayton
1 x