2/20 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2/20 | La Salle Explorers | 7PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

ramster wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Disagree. I like the foul up 3. Hate seeing teams shoot a potential tying 3 and hate seeing teams make 3's. Making a 3-pointer is very common these days. The foul up 3 is I believe a better percentage play for the D.
We can all argue or talk about whether or not this is a good idea or not until we are (Keaney) blue in the face, but it is very clear that this strategy is part of their situational game plan this season. That being the case, they need to execute this better. We might not like it as fans, but if it is going to be part of their strategy going forward, then it needs to be executed better.
I love the strategy. If I am URI and I am down 3 points with 5 seconds to go, do I want the opponent to foul me with 2 seconds to go and send me to the FT Line down 3 points? Absolutely not. I want to get a 3 pointer off to try to tie the game and try to avoid the defense that might be trying to foul me. Foul, send the guy to the line for 2 FTs when the team needs 3 to tie
I'm certainly not opposed to the strategy, but I think it's situational. Up 3 with 2.8 seconds on the clock and the opposing team inbounding from their own baseline? Not sure it's necessary there. You're just prolonging the game and we all know strange things can happen when you do that. Like I said earlier, I'll take my chances with the desperation heave from half court. Especially since LaSalle destroyed us on the boards last night so a rebound and putback off an intentionally missed FT isn't that far fetched. In fact that's exactly what sent the game to overtime.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

2.8 seconds is enough for teams to get almost to the 3pt line
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote:For most Rhody fans, the last two games were disappointing. I've been trying to digest the reasons for my disappointment. I keep coming back to the lack of Senior leadership to play team basketball. When EC, Jared or Stan go one-on-one to the hoop they rarely pass off. They are gong to shoot and the defense knows it and converge on them. It is the primary reason we cannot run the clock in closing minutes and hold on to a lead. When Jeff goes one-on-one the seniors stand around while Fatts and Cyril move to open space. It is seniors who you expect to bounce back from a tough loss with a big effort. It just wasn't there. Allowing someone to get 20+ rebounds is an embarrassment caused by bad effort. The poor FT shooting in the LaSalle game also shows a lack of focus.

Dan knows he has a problem with the seniors. He praises them for playing together in the hope that positive re-enforcement will encourage it to happen. Hopefully, he gets in their faces privately.
Please rephrase from “most rhody fans” to “a select few delusional fans who have wildly unrealistically expectations based on absolutely zero historical context and will never be satisfied unless the team goes 37-0, has an average victory margin of 30 points, and wins a national championship...but would still complain about something innate like Dans sideline behavior.”

Most fans are thrilled to go 1-1 on a road trip at this point in the season, with zero losses outside of Q1, having locked up a regular season conference title and NCAA at large bid.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rambone 78 wrote:Watching EC it looks like he's not 100% either.....but I do agree with 72 about the one on one stuff.....it's been that way for their careers here.

Dowtin just has that ability to see the floor and make the extra pass, which the others [other than Fatts] don't have. JG is the best at it among the seniors.

It does bode well for the future that the BB IQ is there with the underclassmen.

BAR...a BIG reason for our assist rate is Dowtin...to me he's our MVP.....without him, we revert to hero ball on offense more often than not, and bye bye goes our chances in the postseason.
All five of his missed free throws were bad misses - he missed off to the side. Something must be up with his form.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

"Dan knows he has a problem with the seniors" ? How/where do we see that manifested? Did he tell someone that?

I'm thinking he'd have a bigger problem WITHOUT the seniors....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man, totally agree with you on all points but Dan needs to change or at least modify the stall ball with a small lead at the end of games.

I think that's all many of us are saying. Everything else is great, but if we want to go deep into the NCAA tourney, teams a lot better than LaSalle will take big time advantage of us if we continue to hold the ball.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NJRhodyFan wrote:Yeah I really don't like this playing-not-to-lose strategy late in games. I shouldn't be complaining since we've been winning all season, but it's bound to bite us in the ass at some point. I feel like the ending of some of these games is much dicier than it needs to be. I'd rather keep the foot on the gas and not let the opposing team even see a glimmer of hope.
It has already bitten us in the ass against the only tournament team we have played in the last 10 games...

We can beat the Duquesne and LaSalle's of the world but this can't happen against teams that match our talent level.

I trust that the staff will see that opponents are starting to know how to play us and we will make the adjustments we need to make. Hurley's teams always get better late in the year so I'm not worried.

I expect a blow out on Friday.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All in All a pretty great win for URI
95 to 93 in OT and anyone who wasn't scared to death that we might lose this game is lying

BJ Johnson with a "grown man" game with 29 points, 23 rebounds and 9-10 FTs playing all 45 minutes. That is a heck of a performance PERIOD!

Jeff Dowtin also with a similar "grown man' performance playing a URI Game high 38 minutes 7-14 FGs, 11-12 FGs, 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover. What a complete game.

No excuses for being tired from these two guys as they each led their teams in minutes but still shot their FTs with great precision in pressure packed situations

Got to give a lot of credit to the 28 minutes Fatts Russell created havoc on the floor. Russell with a game high 5 steals which was equal to the entire LaSalle team. Those steals were huge in a 2 point URI OT win. Russell pushing closer and closer to grabbing a starting position.

Not one of the better performances by URI's big man position. The 4 minutes went to Berry (13 min), Langevine (22 min) and Akele (5). Total of 4 rebounds and 13 points from the 3. We need mush better than that from our Big Man position.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

ramster wrote:All in All a pretty great win for URI
95 to 93 in OT and anyone who wasn't scared to death that we might lose this game is lying

BJ Johnson with a "grown man" game with 29 points, 23 rebounds and 9-10 FTs playing all 45 minutes. That is a heck of a performance PERIOD!

Jeff Dowtin also with a similar "grown man' performance playing a URI Game high 38 minutes 7-14 FGs, 11-12 FGs, 25 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals and only 1 turnover. What a complete game.

No excuses for being tired from these two guys as they each led their teams in minutes but still shot their FTs with great precision in pressure packed situations

Got to give a lot of credit to the 28 minutes Fatts Russell created havoc on the floor. Russell with a game high 5 steals which was equal to the entire LaSalle team. Those steals were huge in a 2 point URI OT win. Russell pushing closer and closer to grabbing a starting position.

Not one of the better performances by URI's big man position. The 4 minutes went to Berry (13 min), Langevine (22 min) and Akele (5). Total of 4 rebounds and 13 points from the 3. We need mush better than that from our Big Man position.
I agree with you, although Langevine stepped up big in crunch time. I recall he had a couple of dunks and a traditional 3-point play in the overtime period which helped seal the victory.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'm wondering if Hurley learned some of these stall tactics from PJ Carlissimo. While it was before Hurley's time at Seton Hall, I do remember the Hall stalling with a lead late in that 89 championship game vs. Michigan and they couldn't score down the stretch, letting Michigan send the game to OT, which Michigan won. PJ was the SH's coach for the first half of Hurley's career, so it is plausible.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Lost in all the talk about the end of regulation issues, was the fact that we came out sleepwalking and didn't wake up until the 8 minute mark of the 1st half....we actually played very well on offense for those 8 minutes and the first 17 minutes of the 2nd half....normally that would be enough to put away a team like LaSalle.

But not the way we played defense.

Friday night I would think we will come out stoked and not have to worry about any late game problems.

123, stalling works if you're good at it...we aren't.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Part of the problem is that theyre cutting the last few minutes up by their own 30 second possessions. BUT the other teams are scoring during that time.

We make it extremely difficult to score by playing 5 guards, who watch one guy at 9 seconds try to take their man and score with the game on the line. Then for some reason many times this season we have had trouble stopping teams late. Even in wins. @Umass we didn't exactly stop them.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

This:

9 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steviep123 wrote:This:

And...if it was a chemistry class...even MORE impressive....
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Part of the problem is that theyre cutting the last few minutes up by their own 30 second possessions. BUT the other teams are scoring during that time.

We make it extremely difficult to score by playing 5 guards, who watch one guy at 9 seconds try to take their man and score with the game on the line. Then for some reason many times this season we have had trouble stopping teams late. Even in wins. @Umass we didn't exactly stop them.
We are playing panic defense, instead of sticking to what usually works....too much gambling....leaving others open, and unlike us most of the time, they find the open man. Not good! It's about discipline in crunch time...something that we will need as we play better teams from here on out.

I would rather see Jeff with the ball when it's time to make a move, rather than JT or EC....Dowtin will find someone, whereas the others will go 1 on 3....case in point....Duquesne.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Also, another EC Matthews scare, what the hell man.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote:Most fans are thrilled to go 1-1 on a road trip at this point in the season, with zero losses outside of Q1, having locked up a regular season conference title and NCAA at large bid.
And picked up a Q1 win in the process (yes, I know - for now). The win by SBU turned Rhody's home win into a Q1 win which is a nice consolation prize. I'm certainly not mad about that. If anything, the selection committee proved that it isn't the record against Q1 and Q2 teams - they seemingly focused on Q1 and Q2 wins. Whether they won Friday or not, they gained a Q1 win. All signs pointing towards this being a season of destiny and the CBB Gods doing some work for URI.
2 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

All season URI has used the "four corner" offense late in games with a lead, people are only noticing and getting upset now because earlier in the year Died in and Terrell were able to beat their man and either a) get a lay up or b) get fouled. Teams have seen the video and adjusted where they are sagging off into the lane. URI will now need to adjust to compensate that.

I have no problem with the four corner offense late with a lead, they just need to execute better in those situations
2 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

twisted3829 wrote:All season URI has used the "four corner" offense late in games with a lead, people are only noticing and getting upset now because earlier in the year Died in and Terrell were able to beat their man and either a) get a lay up or b) get fouled. Teams have seen the video and adjusted where they are sagging off into the lane. URI will now need to adjust to compensate that.

I have no problem with the four corner offense late with a lead, they just need to execute better in those situations
Late, yes. With 6 minutes left, no.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steviep123 wrote:This:

Yes that supports the ridiculous claim that the team has a culture issue, or selfishness issue or whatever other nonsense was purported by the Shot Doctor.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we have a 7 point lead with a minute to go...then the 4 corner is just fine....the opponent has to foul.

Not with 3-4 minutes or longer to go.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

If I had to guess, Dan is trying to conserve offensive energy and shorten the game at this point in the season. If on the defensive end we were getting stops, as someone alluded to, it would be helping us maintain these leads even if offensively we stalled. But we are stalling offensively, and then allowing buckets on the other end, effectively limiting our potential to gain further separation and turning 3-4 possession games into 1-2 possession games in the final minute.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rambone 78 wrote:Watching EC it looks like he's not 100% either.....but I do agree with 72 about the one on one stuff.....it's been that way for their careers here.

Dowtin just has that ability to see the floor and make the extra pass, which the others [other than Fatts] don't have. JG is the best at it among the seniors.

It does bode well for the future that the BB IQ is there with the underclassmen.

BAR...a BIG reason for our assist rate is Dowtin...to me he's our MVP.....without him, we revert to hero ball on offense more often than not, and bye bye goes our chances in the postseason.

I'll give EC a pass for maybe having a little let down or being a little tired, but I'm not giving him a pass for not being 100%. He looked pretty good going up for the alley oop from Fatts. I thought that ball was going to be 2 feet over his head, but he went up and got it and almost put it home. looked pretty healthy there.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

bigappleram wrote:If I had to guess, Dan is trying to conserve offensive energy and shorten the game at this point in the season. If on the defensive end we were getting stops, as someone alluded to, it would be helping us maintain these leads even if offensively we stalled. But we are stalling offensively, and then allowing buckets on the other end, effectively limiting our potential to gain further separation and turning 3-4 possession games into 1-2 possession games in the final minute.

One of the best things about Hurley is his teams put non-stop pressure on opponents on both ends of the court all game, with one exception. Last 5 minutes with a lead. We stall for 30 seconds at a time on offense. No pressure on the opponent at all. And the opposing guards end up the ones benefiting from conserving energy.

Stalling is the equivalent of playing zone on defense. The opposing team is happy to see it knowing they don’t have to work as hard. (Reminds me that Hurley played zone on one possession down the stretch. Led to a foul, we were lucky it didn’t lead to a 3.)
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i re-watched the missed FT at end of regulation

take a look at Cyril

he boxed out tremendously.. and was totally focused on boxing out

he didn't put his hands up tho to catch the rebound

i forget the ending of the UMass game where we almost did the same thing

but did Cyril do the same thing in that game ?

sound slike a good coaching opportunity here

both instances it didn't cost us, but let's use this to tighten this up

GO RHODY
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ok.. here is both games

Cyril did the same exact thing

certainly tho - not blaming Cyril (especially the UMass game)

jsut wondering out loud here - should he be doing somehitng different ?

here are the games

pause it right after the shot is taken

http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400990096

http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400990077
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:ok.. here is both games

here are the games

Who got burned against Oregon last year? That play might have cost us a trip to the Sweet 16.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:ok.. here is both games

here are the games

What he did in UMass was worse than last night. Last night was an egregious over the back that wasn't called, I'm not going to blame Cyril on that
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

I definitely agree on the over the back, but playing devil's advocate, if he jumps and puts his hands up are the refs more apt to make the call? I'm not saying it shouldn't have been called, but would the refs see it better to call it if Langevine leaps up and/or has his hands up?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Offensive rebounds are the death of us...

Cyril just didn't jump.
It's hard to jump when you're giving someone a piggyback ride. Forget whether the ball hit the rim or not (I think it did) how do you miss that over the back?

I felt the referees favored us the first 20-30 minutes and then favored La Salle the rest of the way

I absolutely think fouling before they have any chance of shooting the tying three is the right strategy.
Yeah it looked about as over the back as possible, but it seemed Cyril just tried to block out but didn't go after it.

I agree with the strategy, but not after it back fires and we foul with 2 seconds left at half court.

They called a foul every time down the court for the final 45 minutes of the game. Ugllly.
We are used to that though.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think it is also worth noting that in the case of these free throws that are missed on purpose the ball usually takes some pretty weird bounces/angles off the backboard/rim which makes the rebound tougher. I think Cyril was in good position and ready to rebound and then the ball was fired off the backboard, may or may not have hit the rim (I think it did), and came right back at him faster than expected I think. It's hard to anticipate where the ball is going to go in those situations and react that quickly.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In that situation need to do whatever it takes to box out and secure that ball , great that it didn't cost us a loss last night and it needs to be used as a teaching opportunity for sure

As far as EC goes aside from the 0-5 FTs I thought he looked pretty good and he had a good 2h v Bona
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

To the point of sleepwalking in the beginning of the game, I think it’s a fair point but it’s something that happens for a reason I believe.

Back in December, after the ridiculous emotional overload of the PC game - we went down to Alabama a few days later and did the same.

Being in both atmospheres - the difference was palpable. Going from a sold out, blood thirsty, rivalry game wth years of pent up aggravation to a relatively quiet, staid crowd in an out of conference game with no history is tough to handle.

That change can put you to sleep like a caffeine or sugar crash.

We had the same situation happen this week.

Bonnie’s has a wild environment and La Salle’s crowd was lame. No matter how hard the explorers were playing the crowd wasn’t into it.

For a team like ours that plays with swag and feeds off of crowd energy, that’s a huge adjustment.

Kudos to the team for being able to break themselves out of that and build the energy themselves.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is there a replay of game?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Also, another EC Matthews scare, what the hell man.

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tough loss. Hope they can come back and get the win on Friday...
9 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Hahahahhahahajahahahahjahajahahha
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ace wrote:Tough loss. Hope they can come back and get the win on Friday...
Boom!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I wasn’t trying to blame Cyril - just was seeing/asking if he should be doing anything different there

Anyways.. I think he’ll tweak a thing or 2 in case it comes up in a big game ..
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Many (especially fans of other A-10 schools) often complain about the sideline behavior of Dan Hurley. Did anyone happen to catch the antics of LaSalle Coach John Giannini the other night in the game vs URI?

2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote:Many (especially fans of other A-10 schools) often complain about the sideline behavior of Dan Hurley. Did anyone happen to catch the antics of LaSalle Coach John Giannini the other night in the game vs URI?

on a related note, do they not watch Dambrot? The guy is more animated and dramatic than a Shakespearean actor
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, and it's not exactly new or unusual for him to be acting that way. Especially now, people are reacting more to Hurley's name and success then what he's actually doing on the sideline.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines