Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Unread post by ace »

Well, this is certainly something...

0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

was just going to post that ace

my first reaction was WOW, next thought was he's not making it to Monday
Last edited by twisted3829 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ever wonder how certain programs, who never recruited a kid, can step in last moment as they blow up and get the commitment? Me either.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm going to take the over on 'never', as far as Miller coaching again...

I think a reasonable question is how many schools will pull themselves from the NCAA this year? 2? 5? more?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

this year may be tough with it only a couple weeks away, definitely more next year

some voluntarily and some not
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Schools have benefited when other schools hit the bricks. Many times.

There are never asterisks.

if it were one or two schools i would agree. if 20-25 of what are traditionally the best basketball schools in the country are banned from ncaa tourney play for a period of time, i don't think that is in any way a good thing for URI.

i know it is pie in the sky...i would just prefer an NCAA where schools didn't cheat and we beat the best when they were at there best.
But what if they were at least in part fraudulently the best? Would they have been the best if the playing field had been even...they are perceived to be the best because of at least in part cheating...which led to success that then built on itself and kept you down do a degree. In other words if their success is at least in part built on cheating then should they really be considered one of the best programs?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Schools have benefited when other schools hit the bricks. Many times.

if it were one or two schools i would agree. if 20-25 of what are traditionally the best basketball schools in the country are banned from ncaa tourney play for a period of time, i don't think that is in any way a good thing for URI.

i know it is pie in the sky...i would just prefer an NCAA where schools didn't cheat and we beat the best when they were at there best.
But what if they were at least in part fraudulently the best? Would they have been the best if the playing field had been even...they are perceived to be the best because of at least in part cheating...which led to success that then built on itself and kept you down do a degree. In other words if their success is at least in part built on cheating then should they really be considered one of the best programs?
Spot on. They are not. They cheated and they are a disgrace to college amatuer sports. I blame BILASS for his never ending rant to pay the players. Guess what Jay? Your blue bloods are in a blood bath.
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Wonder if Ayton plays tonight? I haven't heard any evidence of him actually receiving money but it can be concluded he did
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RIFan wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

RIFan did you read the part where I said I "prefer an NCAA where schools didn't cheat"? So with that, I wish those 20-25 schools were not even in the least part fraudulent.

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. I want a shot at the best when they are at their best and clean. Period.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Shareef O’Neal (son of Shaq) has opened up his commitment from Arizona.

I want him to sign with ASU as the ultimate troll job. His dad is friends with the coach, it could happen :)
3 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

ace wrote:Shareef O’Neal (son of Shaq) has opened up his commitment from Arizona.

I want him to sign with ASU as the ultimate troll job. His dad is friends with the coach, it could happen :)
Me too!!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

These schools should be shamed and not celebrated. As for paying the athletes, the free tuituon they are receiveing is roughly equivalent to having a $60-100k/yr job before taxes to pay the schools tuition depending where you go, not to mention the fact that college grads make about $1m more over their lifetime than high school grads. I think it's a pretty good deal for a kid with only a high school degree.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DanInAZ wrote:
ace wrote:Shareef O’Neal (son of Shaq) has opened up his commitment from Arizona.

Me too!!
What about Rhody?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

ASU needs more help than Rhody does with regards to how we rank with our league recruiting classes. Also, We are being much more pragmatic with where he would end up - ASU possibility, Rhody long shot.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote:
RIFan wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

Spot on. They are not. They cheated and they are a disgrace to college amatuer sports. I blame BILASS for his never ending rant to pay the players. Guess what Jay? Your blue bloods are in a blood bath.
Am I reading this right? You're saying Jay Bilas thinking the players should be paid is why this is happening?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote:These schools should be shamed and not celebrated. As for paying the athletes, the free tuituon they are receiveing is roughly equivalent to having a $60-100k/yr job before taxes to pay the schools tuition depending where you go, not to mention the fact that college grads make about $1m more over their lifetime than high school grads. I think it's a pretty good deal for a kid with only a high school degree.
Completely wrong. What they're receiving has no worth to the college. And for the players that are just there to kill a year it's less than worthless, it's costing them money
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Only about 15-20 kids a year get drafted after being in "school" for only 1 or 2 years. The other 3,000+ don't. So we should change how everything is done because of less than 1% of the kids? So for 3,000+ kids it's a good deal and maybe it's not a good one for 15-20 kids a year...too bad. But if they are as good as they think they are they will still make more money than than most of us ever will after losing money at school for 1-2 years having the time of their lives.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

For any team we play.......I don't care if all the players come down with the Asian bird flu before they play us and we win by 40....but what do I know about sports and competition?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote:For any team we play.......I don't care if all the players come down with the Asian bird flu before they play us and we win by 40....but what do I know about sports and competition?

very little apparently. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
RIFan wrote:These schools should be shamed and not celebrated. As for paying the athletes, the free tuituon they are receiveing is roughly equivalent to having a $60-100k/yr job before taxes to pay the schools tuition depending where you go, not to mention the fact that college grads make about $1m more over their lifetime than high school grads. I think it's a pretty good deal for a kid with only a high school degree.
Completely wrong. What they're receiving has no worth to the college. And for the players that are just there to kill a year it's less than worthless, it's costing them money
nothing is stopping them from going to Europe for a year and play pro then come back to the draft. They can go play for money at 18, they CHOOSE not to
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

RR86 is lucky I love her.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote:RR86 is lucky I love her.......

:roll:
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

CBS reporting that Ayton will play for AZ tonight.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RIFan wrote:
Am I reading this right? You're saying Jay Bilas thinking the players should be paid is why this is happening?
He's been trying to legitimize it for years. He is part of the problem, not the solution.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Paying players isn't the solution. It just legitimizes the under-the-table payments many schools have been making for decades, and brings the bidding wars out into the open.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DanInAZ wrote:ASU needs more help than Rhody does with regards to how we rank with our league recruiting classes. Also, We are being much more pragmatic with where he would end up - ASU possibility, Rhody long shot.
Where does that thought come from? ASU has the #12 rated recruiting class for 2018 and Rhody is rated #34.

I know Ace was joking about Shareef going to ASU. His final 3 schools were Arizona, UCLA and LSU. ASU didn’t even offer.
Both Shareef and Brandon Williams (PG) didn’t sign NLOIs because of the ongoing FBI investigation. They don’t have to ask AU to be released. ASU did offer Williams along with 8 other schools. ASU has three recruits committed or signed.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
theblueram wrote:
He's been trying to legitimize it for years. He is part of the problem, not the solution.
Exactly, legitimize it...to put everyone on the same page, and not pretend everyone does this cleanly. He says sunlight is the best disinfectant and I agree. If the B5 schools and occasional others (ahem, UNLV) have always been finding back channels to pay players, is it better to plug your ears and shout "LALALA I hear nothing" or put the compensation out in the open?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote:
theblueram wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Exactly, legitimize it...to put everyone on the same page, and not pretend everyone does this cleanly. He says sunlight is the best disinfectant and I agree. If the B5 schools and occasional others (ahem, UNLV) have always been finding back channels to pay players, is it better to plug your ears and shout "LALALA I hear nothing" or put the compensation out in the open?
Umm, my point was not to legitimize it. It should be banned. You want money, fine go do it outside NCAA.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

OMG, you need to spend you energy elsewhere; I was reacting to Ace's thought and living out here in AZ for the past 23 years within 15 minutes of ASU. My sister has also worked at ASU for the past 22 years; Can I hope they get someone to help improve their team?

Screw it -- I am clearing my calendar to contact Shaq's son to convince him to go to Rhody. My nephew is friends w/ Marvin Bagley III (went to same HS here) and I tried to convince him but failed. I hope to better serve Rhodyland this time.

BRB, will update everyone later this weekend. :P
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
RIFan wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:

RIFan did you read the part where I said I "prefer an NCAA where schools didn't cheat"? So with that, I wish those 20-25 schools were not even in the least part fraudulent.

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. I want a shot at the best when they are at their best and clean. Period.[/quote

My point was, are they really the best teams since they cheated? They were at least in part the best because of cheating so we are not even sure they would have been the best if they hadn't cheated...so who cares if they are not in the tourney. Let the best legit teams play...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The cartel is crashing. Bunch of pimp schools anyway.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Hey, if it take out the cheaters, we are probably a top 10 team looking at a 2 or 3 seed.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RIFan wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
RIFan wrote:

Not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. I want a shot at the best when they are at their best and clean. Period.[/quote

My point was, are they really the best teams since they cheated? They were at least in part the best because of cheating so we are not even sure they would have been the best if they hadn't cheated...so who cares if they are not in the tourney. Let the best legit teams play...
MY POINT WAS THAT I WISH THEY NEVER CHEATED! CAPICHE????
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DanInAZ wrote:OMG, you need to spend you energy elsewhere; I was reacting to Ace's thought and living out here in AZ for the past 23 years within 15 minutes of ASU. My sister has also worked at ASU for the past 22 years; Can I hope they get someone to help improve their team?

Screw it -- I am clearing my calendar to contact Shaq's son to convince him to go to Rhody. My nephew is friends w/ Marvin Bagley III (went to same HS here) and I tried to convince him but failed. I hope to better serve Rhodyland this time.

BRB, will update everyone later this weekend. :P
Haha! Misunderstood. He will probably go to LSU.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I wish a I had $10m! We all wish nobody had cheated...duh
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:
rhodyruckus wrote:
theblueram wrote:
Umm, my point was not to legitimize it. It should be banned. You want money, fine go do it outside NCAA.
We just agree to disagree then, as long as the NBA enforces the year out of high school this shady stuff will continue. Nine out of 10 times it isn't caught and Rhody is a program that suffers by playing by the rules. If the rules allowed compensation at least we're sitting at the same table.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Weren't players allowed to go right from high school to the NBA until 2006?
Are we saying none of this "shady stuff" happened before that? This is all new?
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Although the coach(es) are grabbing the headlines right now, the FBI is more concerned with chasing the SOURCE of the money. They don't care about amateurism as much as tax dodging. Having Miller between a rock and a hard place will help, he'll lead them to the agents and shoe company people who I bet will REALLY take the brunt of federal punishment.

If the money came from Miller's own pocket or U of A that would be catastrophic for them, but don't believe they'd be THAT stupid (already stupid enough discussing payments out in the open in the first place).
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Weren't players allowed to go right from high school to the NBA until 2006?
Oh I agree, it is a matter of extent. I think the top 10 players going to the NBA would eliminate a lot of the sliminess, definitely not all.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Weren't players allowed to go right from high school to the NBA until 2006?
It's illegal. Doesn't matter when it happened. The rules are pretty evident. It's college basketball. If a player accepts cash, he is ineligible. Same as PED's.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Right...was just saying, these issues happened when players could go right to the pros, and if it were to change back, would still happen.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Right...was just saying, these issues happened when players could go right to the pros, and if it were to change back, would still happen.

and if you legalized giving them some pay...they would illegally get more pay.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Coaches all know which players want to get paid to pick a school......they also know which coaches are willing to pay for the players....it has been that way for years....

....none of the coaches who refuse to pay want to be known as the rat or snitch who reports them....so they all look the other way when it happens and nothing changes....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

theblueram wrote:
It's illegal. Doesn't matter when it happened. The rules are pretty evident. It's college basketball. If a player accepts cash, he is ineligible. Same as PED's.
Agreed. Fact is, some teams are breaking the rules which gives a major advantage over schools who are following the rules.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The NBA needs to get rid of the one and done rule.

That said, the bigger problem here is what is stopping the power 5 football conferences from breaking away and doing their own thing? Bring basketball with them?

They don’t need them NCAA at this point, the NCAA needs them. That’s my fear in all of this.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Leadership would go a long way. Seems the brass are allowing a ship they inherited to steer itself. Get a top guy that gets enough presidents to buy in on something and go forth enforcing that.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund