Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Recruiting scandal

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

josephski wrote:
scine20 wrote:So after all these schools are banned from the tournament will URI be a 1 seed in Boston?
I don't know if you're being serious or not but the NCAA tournament starts in less than a month. There is absolutely no chance the NCAA hands out any penalties before then.
I'm obviously joking. I thought that would be apparent.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: How much gets funneled to other sports? If I'm a basketball player, why do I care if there's a golf team? Why should I subsidize that when I'm not getting money? How much goes to administration and coaches salaries? Again, if I'm a basketball player why shouldn't I get paid when they make extra because I get nothing?
You shouldn't care but no one is forcing anyone to play college basketball. Any graduating senior in HS could hire an agent, accept a big fat signing bonus check, go play in Europe and make a couple of hundred thousand, and then come back to the States and declare their draft eligibility. Heck, go join Lavar Balls new college basketball plus league where he'll pay you $10K per month and you don't even have to leave the country. How much money do you think Lebron James makes for the NBA and Cleveland Cavaliers? There is no way he is properly compensated given his global branding by those entities despite the fact that he and Steph are displayed in almost every country in the world, selling jerseys, tv advertisements, etc., and let's be honest, the marketing in his image is 100000x more important than any Top 5 draft pick in 2018, whether that is Doncic, Porter, Ayton, etc., forget the average recruit.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They are saying now there maybe some kind of developmental league started by NBA where kids go play in that starting at age 16 or so they get paid to develop their talents and not play in college??
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Great day for Rhody, outright a10 regular season champs,

not a good day for Sean Miller - FBI wiretaps show he was discussing making a payment of $100k to ensure DeAndre Ayton came to Arizona
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My thoughts and prayers go out to the schools mentioned......
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This is BIG

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:This is BIG

Actually....this seems huge....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Unread post by reef »

I don't see how Sean Miller can survive this ???

This evidence seems too damning ???
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Already seeing tweets from the Media saying he has to be fired now.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dan Hurley to Arizona buzz will start soon, I’m sure. The scary part is a lot of big time jobs sound like they will be opening up and Hurley may be the hottest coach in the country right now. Can we weather the off-season storm again? *fingers crossed*
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dan will not be going to any jobs where the school gets punished.......and we won't know about any of that for a while I would guess.

In Arizona's case, if it's true the 100K was paid, then Miller will be fired, the player will be ineligible, and THEN the school will get sanctioned... wins will be vacated....this tourney will be played with the very real possibility that some of the teams in it will lose whatever they win.....
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was already getting people telling me this is bad for URI when the Yahoo! article came out yesterday...how all these great jobs would be coming open this off season. I told them that I assume most of the schools will not be allowed in the post season for a period of time and have scholarships taken away...why on earth would he want to go there and endure that when he could stay here and get the players that would have gone to those schools and ride deep into the tourney?! Their only response was $$$...

BTW are those jobs really that great if the coaches felt this was the only way they could win?
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

These jobs may be open but what are the sanctions against the school going to be by the ncaa?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The last job Dan would ever take is Arizona. Not only are they going to be sent to NCAA timeout, but he'd be hated rivals with Bobby and have to play him 2-3 times per year? Yeah, no.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This might actually increase the chances that Dan stays. At least here he knows that things are being done the right way.

Of course how much confidence do we have that the NCAA will actually punish the culprits? And to what extent? Their enforcement division is already overwhelmed....
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:This might actually increase the chances that Dan stays. At least here he knows that things are being done the right way.

Of course how much confidence do we have that the NCAA will actually punish the culprits? And to what extent? Their enforcement division is already overwhelmed....
Either way I agree it increases the chances.

They won’t sort the punishments out for some time. Dan is going anywhere if there’s uncertainty about NCAA participation.

He’s got a potential 2 year A10 POY in Dowtin, plus Fatts, Langevine and CT along with the best recruiting class in the A10. He can be right back here for an NCAA birth next year and years after.

Announce the practice facility, continue the investments and improvements. Dan isn’t leaving here for a situation that isn’t as immediately good as what he has.

The better Jeff, Cyril, and Fatts play...the more likely he stays put.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Increase the available money for assistants... can’t overstate the importance of this.

Moore might explore a head coaching job, teams will come calling again for Cox. They need to be able to retain (in the case of Cox) or offer a competitive salary to effectively replace either/both of them.
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I’m trying really hard not to be naive about all this, but MONEY talks....and I hope you all are right about him staying put, but his stock after this year will be the highest it’s ever been. I can hear the BRINKS truck backing up now.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote:I’m trying really hard not to be naive about all this, but MONEY talks....and I hope you all are right about him staying put, but his stock after this year will be the highest it’s ever been. I can hear the BRINKS truck backing up now.
Dan’s confident enough to bet on himself that, while his stock will be incredibly high, it’s not going to be his only chance to land his final job. Besides, he kinda likes where he’s at now. I said it before, winning this year and gaining the support they have has been very important. Just keep it going.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we get to the Sweet 16 or better, true there will be some big time offers.

URI will have to sweeten the pot considerably to keep him....his pay, the assistants...the practice facility, all of that and more....

And they should be able to do that...

They will have to approach what VCU and Dayton pay their staffs.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh boy. So much concern! Listen to Ace.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wow just wow
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yo, coaches... get you an agent who deals like Sean’s!

0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

ace wrote:Yo, coaches... get you an agent who deals like Sean’s!

Absolutely incredible......
And then money on top to replace the guy they fire.
Last edited by Rhodyram 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:I’m trying really hard not to be naive about all this, but MONEY talks....and I hope you all are right about him staying put, but his stock after this year will be the highest it’s ever been. I can hear the BRINKS truck backing up now.
Dan’s confident enough to bet on himself that, while his stock will be incredibly high, it’s not going to be his only chance to land his final job. Besides, he kinda likes where he’s at now. I said it before, winning this year and gaining the support they have has been very important. Just keep it going.
Any chance that this is his final job? I mean, we have Keaney Gym. I would like someday to have The Hurley Center.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

These stupid A-holes and their slimy BS is taking away all the headlines in the NCAA lol, no credit for Rhodys win.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

[/quote]
Any chance that this is his final job? I mean, we have Keaney Gym. I would like someday to have The Hurley Center.[/quote]

Strong chance I believe and likely.

Ace is right tho about cash pool for assistants - with success should come reward. This group is clearly a big part of the current run.

I have to believe the University is pretty pleased about attendance and merchandising revenue. Spread the dough around and keep the winning train on the track.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

And Hurley isn't a money chaser. He's like Bob Sr, he cares more about comfort and family. Bobby is more of the job chaser. Dan could've left the HS ranks well before when he did, same way Bob Sr could've left St Anthonys countless times

He is not going anywhere where the NCAA is knocking on the doors.

He is building the program here and getting the upgrades he wants. Facilities improvements, more pay for assistants, charter flights. It's a full partnership. Thor and Dan have the same vision and are making it happen.

Watching him last night he looked content celebrating. He was smiling, taking it all in, happy. You can see how much he cares and how much he's built the program into a family
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This scandal going to free up some recruits that would be normally looking at the schools involved ???
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhodyram wrote:This scandal going to free up some recruits that would be normally looking at the schools involved ???
I would definitely think so. That's why it's nice to still have one scholly open.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

And don’t forget about the Andrea factor. From what I gather how she feels figures huge in Dan’s decision making.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Give us a few more years hurl dog!
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This tells me Sean and his agent were AWARE that this could come to bite him and made it a point to protect his bank account even if he is fired for cause. Slimy, but smart, I guess. This should have been a red flag, since most coaches wouldn't push for that because they're not worried about being fired for cause. It's rare and they would know only a few scenarios would qualify. Sean knew he had a greater risk of this outcome. WOW
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea I picked up in that too. Don’t like the idea that there must be a “final job.” The program is set up right now for quite the run. If they tied season tickets to donations I wouldn’t blink for my seats. That would generate $$$.

Say it ain’t so Sean miller!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:

This tells me Sean and his agent were AWARE that this could come to bite him and made it a point to protect his bank account even if he is fired for cause. Slimy, but smart, I guess. This should have been a red flag, since most coaches wouldn't push for that because they're not worried about being fired for cause. It's rare and they would know only a few scenarios would qualify. Sean knew he had a greater risk of this outcome. WOW
I don’t think that clause would serve as a red flag because I’m sure ppl around the program knew. Being close to other big college athletics at times, it is a fairly open secret around campuses what the kids are getting.

These schools are big jobs because they have the boosters and connections to make the payments happen. I’m sure any program that feels blowback will just lament the fact they were caught as oppose to being pissed the actions happened.

It’s against the rules but how much is deandre ayton worth to college basketball? 100k??? Or any of the top guys each year? That’s not even pennies on the dollar for a talent like that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
And Hurley isn't a money chaser. He's like Bob Sr, he cares more about comfort and family. Bobby is more of the job chaser. Dan could've left the HS ranks well before when he did, same way Bob Sr could've left St Anthonys countless times

He is not going anywhere where the NCAA is knocking on the doors.

He is building the program here and getting the upgrades he wants. Facilities improvements, more pay for assistants, charter flights. It's a full partnership. Thor and Dan have the same vision and are making it happen.

Watching him last night he looked content celebrating. He was smiling, taking it all in, happy. You can see how much he cares and how much he's built the program into a family
It’s so easy to say money isn’t a motivator until you are shown an offer sheet with an additional $3-$5M on it. Naivety isn’t the best medicine. Maybe a million would be enough, but a few more would make any man and his family rethink life decisions.
0 x
Pwmjoe
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Pwmjoe »

What if they did this : Each 12 man team can have 4 ‘A’ players, 4’B’ players and 4’C’ players. The A players would get 25000 a year ( pulled that out of my butt), B players would get half of that and C players half of the B player amount. That would still leave plenty of revenue. Also, if a player is being recruited by let’s say Georgetown as a B player because their A allotment is full, he might rather play for a school like RI that has an A opening. Ego will keep a lot of kids from taking a B or C classification.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

How bout the NBA just allow high school players to enter the draft. Seems much simpler.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

this whole thing seems sad for me. we are having perhaps the greatest year in school history and have a promising future. I would hate to see URI's accomplishments mitigated with "yeah...they beat Arizona to get to the final 4, but Ayton didn't play". or "yeah...URI went to 3 sweet 16s in a row, but wasn't that when UNC, AZ, KY, Louis, etc were all banned from the NCAA tourney?"

I want us to win and I want the NCAA to be at full strength while we're doing it. I want URI to get the best recruits, but I don't want them to come here just because the other school couldn't play in March.

For me, there is nothing to feel good about here.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Would you feel good losing to Arizona in the Elite 8 for a trip to the Final Four knowing their wins will be vacated?
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

NCAA has very weak leadership. That's being polite.

1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This guy is so stupid. He is the Business Reporter for ESPN. I now don’t believe any news from him.
He has no business common sense. If the contract states Miller would be paid $5 million if fired without cause and $10.3 million if fired with cause, they would just fire him without cause. There would never be the clause for firing with cause.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote:Would you feel good losing to Arizona in the Elite 8 for a trip to the Final Four knowing their wins will be vacated?

absolutely not. no matter how this plays out, the season will have a black mark on it. i want this story to all be a hoax.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:Would you feel good losing to Arizona in the Elite 8 for a trip to the Final Four knowing their wins will be vacated?

absolutely not. no matter how this plays out, the season will have a black mark on it. i want this story to all be a hoax.
Not really. The black mark would a season like 2013, where the National Championship was vacated. Winning with no blemishes on your program is not tarnished. Only the schools who are crooked have a black mark.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

TruePoint wrote:The last job Dan would ever take is Arizona. Not only are they going to be sent to NCAA timeout, but he'd be hated rivals with Bobby and have to play him 2-3 times per year? Yeah, no.
Exactly. Geesh, whomever came up with this idea needs to be investigated as a possible Russian BOT troll with the objective to cause divide among the Hurley family. :roll:
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Schools have benefited when other schools hit the bricks. Many times.

There are never asterisks.
2 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Does Ayton play another game for UofA? That is what I am wondering. Perhaps tonight. I wonder in 2 weeks.

Miller can be replaced sooner than a man among boys can.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Schools have benefited when other schools hit the bricks. Many times.

There are never asterisks.

if it were one or two schools i would agree. if 20-25 of what are traditionally the best basketball schools in the country are banned from ncaa tourney play for a period of time, i don't think that is in any way a good thing for URI.

i know it is pie in the sky...i would just prefer an NCAA where schools didn't cheat and we beat the best when they were at there best.
0 x