Major NCAA Recruiting FBI Investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Recruiting scandal

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m not worried about URI being involved in this story directly. What I am worried about is URI’s potential best season ever being undermined the same way a champion of a strike shortened season would be. Fortunately I don’t think there is enough time for these things to come out and for the field to be cleared of guilty programs. I don’t want URI to go deep in a tournament where “Tennessee Chattanooga is a 2 seed” as they predict in the article. I think we can go deep anyways, and if other programs go down because of this later on, so be it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Hoops Corruption Probe will take down HOF Coaches, Top Programs, Lottery Picks

Unread post by Paleoguy »

We're clean. Now all we have to do is win it all....

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-colleg ... 17174.html

"NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. There’s a lingering mushroom cloud over the sport’s upcoming showcase event that won’t go away. The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time."
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Hoops Corruption Probe will take down HOF Coaches, Top Programs, Lottery Picks

Unread post by reef »

Damn this off season may get ugly ??

Thank god DH runs a clean program!!
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

One article i saw earlier this week said as many as 3 dozen of the top basketball schools we be dragged into this. One of the attorneys of one of the current defendants said something like this is the way of life at all the top programs...

found it
""The wrong people were charged," Einhorn said. "These people are part of a situation that is much bigger than them. It's hard for me to say with a straight face that these people charged are outliers. This is what NCAA basketball is, and it's been that way for a long time.""

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... orts-agent
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think the article is an exaggeration. Trying name 50 colleges basketball programs that article claims are compromised. Until there are specifics this is just an article with speculation. This will have no impact on this year’s tournament.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

It would be badass if URI went balls deep in a tourney with Tenn- Chattanooga as a 2 seed. Seriously tho imagine watching the NCAA Finals on a Monday night with URI versus Montana
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A consequence of all this could be that there might soon be many plum job openings available.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Would they still be plum jobs with sanctions attached and no talent on the roster?
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:A consequence of all this could be that there might soon be many plum job openings available.
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Would they still be plum jobs with sanctions attached and no talent on the roster?
I’ve had both of these thoughts tonight. I guess if the money is still green, yes they would still be plum jobs. On the other hand, if this thing is truly earth shattering, maybe it changes the whole landscape of the sport. IDK, honestly, and I’m not going to waste a ton of time worrying about it right now.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It won't happen until the off season
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote:It won't happen until the off season
It will never happen to the level this article says. Slap on the wrist for most programs, maybe death penalty for one or two as an example but it will not be a blue blood program.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I don’t have much faith in anyone going down.
0 x
GO RAMS
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:I’m not worried about URI being involved in this story directly. What I am worried about is URI’s potential best season ever being undermined the same way a champion of a strike shortened season would be. Fortunately I don’t think there is enough time for these things to come out and for the field to be cleared of guilty programs. I don’t want URI to go deep in a tournament where “Tennessee Chattanooga is a 2 seed” as they predict in the article. I think we can go deep anyways, and if other programs go down because of this later on, so be it.
My position all year has been -- who cares?

A10 Down?? Win 'em all!

If the field is considered less? GREAT!

The thousands of times URI has been trampled over the past 20 years, teams never handicapped their victories. "Oh, Jim Barron is their coach and it's February. That win counts less because they suck then."

Did PC start counting their 7 game streak against us during our low points or wait until we were respectable?

Winners write the history and any concern from our side that basketball is down and we are capitalizing on that is wasted time. Only ppl used to losing would feel that their success could be invalidated somehow. Ride the wave and take as much as you can. Then sell that success till the cows come home with zero caveats or asterisks. Use it to build.
6 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote:
It will never happen to the level this article says. Slap on the wrist for most programs, maybe death penalty for one or two as an example but it will not be a blue blood program.
Like in the 80s when the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky, they made an example out of Cleveland State!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I’m not worried about URI being involved in this story directly. What I am worried about is URI’s potential best season ever being undermined the same way a champion of a strike shortened season would be. Fortunately I don’t think there is enough time for these things to come out and for the field to be cleared of guilty programs. I don’t want URI to go deep in a tournament where “Tennessee Chattanooga is a 2 seed” as they predict in the article. I think we can go deep anyways, and if other programs go down because of this later on, so be it.
My position all year has been -- who cares?

A10 Down?? Win 'em all!

If the field is considered less? GREAT!

The thousands of times URI has been trampled over the past 20 years, teams never handicapped their victories. "Oh, Jim Barron is their coach and it's February. That win counts less because they suck then."

Did PC start counting their 7 game streak against us during our low points or wait until we were respectable?

Winners write the history and any concern from our side that basketball is down and we are capitalizing on that is wasted time. Only ppl used to losing would feel that their success could be invalidated somehow. Ride the wave and take as much as you can. Then sell that success till the cows come home with zero caveats or asterisks. Use it to build.
I always want to play the best and beat the best. That is the point of sports, to me at least. Winning over an artificially weakened field is not as good of an accomplishment. That wouldn't be URI's fault - you can only play the teams on your schedule - but my personal preference would be to play against a full field and see where we're at.

It's a moot point, anyways - they aren't going to clear the field of dirty programs in the next three weeks.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steviep123 wrote:
rhodylaw wrote:
Like in the 80s when the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky, they made an example out of Cleveland State!
Beat me to it!
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Certainly would make recruiting someone to go to URI easier.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... onal-title

Not a part of the recruiting scandal - but, the NCAA upheld its ruling that Louisville must vacate the 2013 National Championship and 2012 Final Four, in addition to being on placed on probation and having a reduction in scholarships. The FBI investigation could potentially be another big blow to the Louisville basketball program - have to imagine that there is not going to be a big pool of candidates interested in that job.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Shaolin Swat wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... onal-title

Not a part of the recruiting scandal - but, the NCAA upheld its ruling that Louisville must vacate the 2013 National Championship and 2012 Final Four, in addition to being on placed on probation and having a reduction in scholarships. The FBI investigation could potentially be another big blow to the Louisville basketball program - have to imagine that there is not going to be a big pool of candidates interested in that job.
There is a program "rebuilder" looking for a job.....hahaha

Look, he even has his red tie ready

4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

They have a superior facilities/infrastructure set up, engaged fanbase, and and an attractive history.
Only question is how big of a bump in the road this is....I think they'll survive, clean house, pay well and they won't have a problem getting a good candidate. LOL...Larry Brown, perfect fit?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I just gave a belated congratulations to my wife (a Michigan alum) on their 2013 National Championship....yes, I know it doesn't really work that way.
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Shaolin Swat
ARD

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

They have a superior facilities/infrastructure set up, engaged fanbase, and and an attractive history.
Only question is how big of a bump in the road this is....I think they'll survive, clean house, pay well and they won't have a problem getting a good candidate. LOL...Larry Brown, perfect fit?
Agree that this won't necessarily be a death blow to the program - just think that with more potential sanctions looming, coaches may wait until the program is at the tail end of whatever sanctions they may receive before considering it a viable opportunity.

Another potential issue, is that they have to forfeit any conference money from the NCAA tournament between 2012 and 2015 - ESPN mentions that reports say that they may be forfeiting as much as $15 million as a result.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just an ugly ugly situation

Say it ain't so Ricky Pitino and Tommy Jurich
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spread ... 18078.html

A little more information regarding the FBI investigation into the recruiting scandal - there was one quote from the article that stood out to me:
“There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.
Attached below is a list of the schools that have produced a first round pick over the past 3 NBA drafts, sorted by Conference.
Attachments
First Round Picks.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

More names and schools, Chaz Williams from UMass and Isaiah Whitehead from Seton Hall among them
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Schools identified by Yahoo! as possibly violating NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State , USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ncaa-rules
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

More names and schools, Chaz Williams from UMass and Isaiah Whitehead from Seton Hall among them
come on Carlos Delfino...have more respect for yourself! Only $71 bucks? haha
1 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

URIRecruitingInfo wrote:
Schools identified by Yahoo! as possibly violating NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State , USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ncaa-rules
What a shocker!
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This pretty much sums up my feelings on this new report.

https://deadspin.com/who-gives-a-shit-1823260537
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Jarrelle Martin took almost 60k and got beat by Gil Biruta and the Runnin Rams. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be upset if my team was going to get sanctions for Chaz Williams. 3600?

Odd that Brendan Haywood is on the list. I wonder what the range of years is?

Lavoy Allen? He beat us a few times.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Jarrelle Martin took almost 60k and got beat by Gil Biruta and the Runnin Rams. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be upset if my team was going to get sanctions for Chaz Williams. 3600?

Odd that Brendan Haywood is on the list. I wonder what the range of years is?

Lavoy Allen? He beat us a few times.
The ledger is from 2015 though and Chaz graduated in 2014 right? Doesnt that just mean he was a normal client?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I don't care how much money players are given; its an advantage. Fine the schools.
0 x
GO RAMS
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote:I don't care how much money players are given; its an advantage. Fine the schools.
thing is, if the payments are directly from agents to players the schools have deniability that you cant realistically overcome. the key is making a connection between the agents and the schools, then you can hit them.

But if it stays agents and players only, you'll only see individual players being ruled ineligible for taking money.

Even then, if it does become schools too, dont expect any real punishments. It'll involve enough big programs that the NCAA will just make the rules more strict and send a "now dont do it again" memo
0 x
---
---
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

So after all these schools are banned from the tournament will URI be a 1 seed in Boston?
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

scine20 wrote:So after all these schools are banned from the tournament will URI be a 1 seed in Boston?
I don't know if you're being serious or not but the NCAA tournament starts in less than a month. There is absolutely no chance the NCAA hands out any penalties before then.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is going to get very ugly , hopefully no penalties until off season though ???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Until the NCAA allows players to make money of their own likeness or get a SHRED of the money they make universities and shoe companies this problem will always exist.

You have a multi-billion if not TRILLION dollar industry centered around college basketball.

The back end game of shoe companies propping up grassroots and AAU programs, then leveraging the kids who go to those programs against schools recruiting them by steering them towards one of the schools that wears their apparel. The advertising dollars surrounding the NCAA tournament, arenas, pre-season tournaments, etc.

All of that money is made and changes hands while the kids who put their bodies on the line to make that money "aren't allowed' to see any of the dollars.

It's like the failing war on drugs with weed. Yeah it's "illegal" but it happens everywhere. Until you get smart and legalize/regulate it - you get all the seedy back room black market drug dealings that come with illegitimate sales.

If you want to put rules in place that can be followed, you need to actually understand what is going on, not just stick your fingers in your ears and keep pushing something forward.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The only people under investigation should be the NCAA.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Blueman - I agree with you, but I'd just point out that the FBI doesn't give any shits about the NCAAs rules. So there is something going here on that is a level deeper than the typical shadiness we all know exists around CBB.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote:Blueman - I agree with you, but I'd just point out that the FBI doesn't give any shits about the NCAAs rules. So there is something going here on that is a level deeper than the typical shadiness we all know exists around CBB.
Understood. It's a corruption investigation. Business-type corruption. Because it's a business. Even though the NCAA always likes to prop up the idea that it's about school.

It isn't. It hasn't been since TV and increased ad revenue came into the picture.

The executives and administrations get to treat it as a business and reap the benefits.

The students have to work for the business but get treated like kids.

Something isn't right there.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Blue Man wrote:Until the NCAA allows players to make money of their own likeness or get a SHRED of the money they make universities and shoe companies this problem will always exist.

You have a multi-billion if not TRILLION dollar industry centered around college basketball.

The back end game of shoe companies propping up grassroots and AAU programs, then leveraging the kids who go to those programs against schools recruiting them by steering them towards one of the schools that wears their apparel. The advertising dollars surrounding the NCAA tournament, arenas, pre-season tournaments, etc.

All of that money is made and changes hands while the kids who put their bodies on the line to make that money "aren't allowed' to see any of the dollars.

It's like the failing war on drugs with weed. Yeah it's "illegal" but it happens everywhere. Until you get smart and legalize/regulate it - you get all the seedy back room black market drug dealings that come with illegitimate sales.

If you want to put rules in place that can be followed, you need to actually understand what is going on, not just stick your fingers in your ears and keep pushing something forward.
Yes, the schools make a boat-ton of money, but how much of that is profit versus reinvestment? Better charters, better practice facilities, more player perks, more marketing, etc.? Further, how do you determine worth? Do you have a salary cap? Does player 1 and player 13 get the same return? Further, wouldn't everyone just go to Kentucky/Duke since their program revenue is significantly higher than others? The answers are not as simple as cutting players checks. Even if you start giving kids money, there will still be people trying to offer more to bring them in. Even if you let kids market themselves, what's stopping Nike, Adidas, etc. from offering kids contracts and pushing them towards elite programs? The structure of college basketball has been founded on schools providing kids options and kids trying to figure out what's best for their game and their personal growth ... The second kids have to start making college decisions on money, you've ruined the whole structure for all but a handful of programs.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Until the NCAA allows players to make money of their own likeness or get a SHRED of the money they make universities and shoe companies this problem will always exist.

Yes, the schools make a boat-ton of money, but how much of that is profit versus reinvestment? Better charters, better practice facilities, more player perks, more marketing, etc.? Further, how do you determine worth? Do you have a salary cap? Does player 1 and player 13 get the same return? Further, wouldn't everyone just go to Kentucky/Duke since their program revenue is significantly higher than others? The answers are not as simple as cutting players checks. Even if you start giving kids money, there will still be people trying to offer more to bring them in. Even if you let kids market themselves, what's stopping Nike, Adidas, etc. from offering kids contracts and pushing them towards elite programs? The structure of college basketball has been founded on schools providing kids options and kids trying to figure out what's best for their game and their personal growth ... The second kids have to start making college decisions on money, you've ruined the whole structure for all but a handful of programs.
thats just it, gotta figure on the low end schools spend 100k per athlete (basketball and football).

tuition
room and board - especially since most have separate athlete dorms that are far nicer than regular ones
flights
food
per diem on road trips
hotels
buses
training
medical attention

if you pay the athletes, you also open the door for the school to act like any other employer and charge their "employees" for the above services. Plus the pay as well as items not charged for are taxed as income.

the average athlete will not come out ahead in that scenario. dont forget any changes will be across all sports, so a typical swimmer or track athlete goes from free school, food, housing to paying out of pocket without the big money income to compensate
0 x
---
---
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm against paying college players. It makes a mockery of education and the universities. Plus tuition, food, residence, travel, clothing/gear, trainers, dietitians, publicity, weightlifting/medical and other amenities/facilities are all FREE for each scholarship player. People don't realize the amount of work and pain families go through to pay for their children to attend a college that don't receive scholarships like student-athlete gets and don't receive nearly the benefits that athletes get. Getting paid ON TOP of the THOUSANDS spent on them is nuts.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:

How much gets funneled to other sports? If I'm a basketball player, why do I care if there's a golf team? Why should I subsidize that when I'm not getting money? How much goes to administration and coaches salaries? Again, if I'm a basketball player why shouldn't I get paid when they make extra because I get nothing?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm against paying college players. It makes a mockery of education and the universities. Plus tuition, food, residence, travel, clothing/gear, trainers, dietitians, publicity, weightlifting/medical and other amenities/facilities are all FREE for each scholarship player. People don't realize the amount of work and pain families go through to pay for their children to attend a college that don't receive scholarships like student-athlete gets and don't receive nearly the benefits that athletes get. Getting paid ON TOP of the THOUSANDS spent on them is nuts.
What gets "spent" on them is drastically over inflated so the schools and the NCAA can say they don't have the money to pay. Kick out men's and women's basketball from URI, that's 26 players? How much do you think it costs URI to educate 26 kids? They can't close a single dorm. Can they even cut back one professor? Would the food ordering in dining services change appreciably for 26 fewer students? Essentially, the cost of educating them is free, the tuition and scholarship is just a book cost.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:dont forget any changes will be across all sports, so a typical swimmer or track athlete goes from free school, food, housing to paying out of pocket without the big money income to compensate
I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Wasn't it a big story about five years ago that basketball and football athletes could get extra? The A10 came out and said schools could offer extra in basketball to keep up with the power 5 and we wondered if CAA football would offer the extra?
0 x