What a Difference a Year Makes

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

What a Difference a Year Makes

Unread post by steviep123 »

One year ago today, URI lost to Fordham in a terrible game, 53-43 at the Ryan Center. At that point there were quite a few grumblings over if this team could be the one to get over the hump to reach the NCAA tournament (and I'm being kind). After the game Hurley made no bones about it, they were now playing for their tournament lives and couldn't afford another loss. The rest was history and that night was the last time they lost to an Atlantic 10 opponent. In that stretch they have beaten every A10 foe at least once (Richmond on Tuesday was the last team they haven't played since last Feb 15th). This is a stretch that saw them win 21 straight Atlantic 10 games and a 30-4 record overall since that date, all to go with a nation leading (tied with Cincinnati) 16 game winning streak and a 16 ranking in the AP poll. Let's keep it rolling tomorrow night at SBU!

Here's hoping this year is just the beginning and we haven't even come close to realizing the potential of this program.

On to SBU!
7 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: What a Difference a Year Makes

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes...a day that will live in infamy....and, not really a lot of people that can (or would want to?) say, "I was there".
If I read the attendance string correctly, attendance was 3,791, and since then, averaging >6,100....
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

I was talking to my friend at the Richmond game and told him about going to games in 2012 and it felt like there was no one there at all. If you talked loud enough it would reverberate in the arena. It's been crazy to think about. I wasn't really a college basketball fan until I went to URI. I became a fan during what was considered a bad time and never experienced the past glory days. It's been a lot of fun this year!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Yes...a day that will live in infamy....and, not really a lot of people that can (or would want to?) say, "I was there".
If I read the attendance string correctly, attendance was 3,791, and since then, averaging >6,100....
I was there. I don't even remember being angry, so much as just really sad. I couldn't believe Hassan wouldn't get to go to the tournament. Honestly, the only thing that snapped my out of my funk from that night was reading how overboard negative (Baron 2.0) everyone on here was. It felt like just by being unhappy instead of burn everything down pissed I was a Kool Aid drinker, which only made me dig in on being relatively positive.
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I remember being in Phoenix on a work trip, watching a Facebook live stream of that game and not believing what I was seeing.

3 days later it looked like another one was going to slip away at George Mason but Stan made some huge plays at the end to seal a 3 point win.

Then a road win at LaSalle, avenging an earlier loss. Followed by a convincing Saturday win at home against VCU (ESPN2 game I believe). Back on the road to kick St. Joe's butt followed by one of my favorite games of the Hurley era, the OT win on senior day versus Davidson (the Stan block, the EC dunk, Gibbs not hitting a back breaking 3)

And when you look back on the A-10 tournament, it was just like conference play this season. We rolled through the entire weekend, save a VCU 2nd half run to cut it to a one possession game. I also love how Rhody ran Davidson out of the gym a week after that team and their fans probably thought we stole one at home.

Go Rhody!
2 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

I remember walking out of the arena that night so down about the direction the season was taking. An NIT bid wasn't even a guarantee after that loss. It's crazy to think about how everything just clicked from that point on and we went on the run through the A-10 bringing us to the tournament.
1 x