2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by TruePoint »

University of Rhode Island at St. Bonaventure University
Reilly Center, Olean, NY
Friday, February 16, 2018
7:00PM (ESPN2)

Media

TV: ESPN2

Streaming: WatchESPN app

Radio: B101, 101.5 FM

Previews:

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:
19-6, 9-4 in the Atlantic-10 Conference (2nd place)
Home: 11-1
Last season: 20-12, 11-7 in Atlantic 10

Rankings:
RPI: 42 (39.4 expected)
BPI: 54
Kenpom: 67
Sagarin: 55

Leaders (updated):
Points - Jaylen Adams, 20.5
Rebounds - LaDarien Griffin, 6.5
Assists - Jaylen Adams, 5.3

Last Five (5-0)
2/13/18   RICH    W  85-67
2/9/18    DAV     W  72-59
2/2/18    @VCU    W  81-68
1/30/17   @UMASS  W  85-83
1/27/17   DUQ     W  61-58
Roster and Statistics (not updated from 1/13 game)

Preview
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Adams has been insane lately. Back to back games in the 40s, I believe. Can't let him go off early. But obviously we have a bunch of guards who can give him problems.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I would say that the Rhody guards "come after you in waves"...but...waves have gaps in between....
3 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

These guys have been playing good recently. They've won their last 7 straight including a couple close ones against St Joes & Duq. BUT we're the superior team and I'm confident we'll come out on top. IMO this will be the toughest game until the NCAA tournament
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Should be a great game. I have a feeling this one is going to be back and forth and come down to the wire.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There are some that are really hyping this game and calling it the biggest game ever in the 52 year history of the Reilly Center.

http://thebonablog.com/2018/02/14/ranki ... r-history/
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

same game plan they've used on them the last few times. Take out Mobley and keep Adams in check. No one else on that team can beat you.

I'd stick Stan on Adams all game like a shutdown corner in football.....Robinson Island
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Their board is obsessed lol
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote:St Bonaventure Fan Forum Link:
http://bonabandwagon.proboards.com/boar ... eral-board
Quick shout out to ATP and the mods - every time I click on another board's link, I am reminded how fortunate we are to have a board run by people who understand technology, and have us on a platform that looks like it was made this century.

Not a lot of other boards are as clean and easy as this one.
15 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Olean is St Bona hoops. That’s about it. Hornet nest, count on it. Must see TV!

Gonna b a battle!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Any chance we see the Keaney Blue uniforms again or do we think those are moth-balled for the rest of the way?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

What's our record in them? What's our record in the navy blue?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:What's our record in them? What's our record in the navy blue?
White: 15-1 (UVA)
Keaney: 1(PC) - 1 (Bama)
Navy: 5-1 (Nevada)
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

This will be a tough game! Even with what looks like without EC I still see our guards do the job and we pull away late.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Good news about EC! but yeah really uncertain if he'll play vs Bona

I think our guards will pick it up like they usually do. I think the x factor is gonna be Cyril, the Bona bigs will have a tough time with him on the glass and down low since he's 100%. i could see him having a 12/10 or 14/10 night
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyNJ wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:What's our record in them? What's our record in the navy blue?
White: 15-1 (UVA)
Keaney: 1(PC) - 1 (Bama)
Navy: 5-1 (Nevada)
Tough call. They won what we non-fans consider to be the most important game of the season in Keaney Blue. But 5-1 is tough to ignore.

OTOH, the Brown Indians' gym has been a chamber of horrors over the year, no matter what we're wearing.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Ranking the Biggest Games in Reilly Center History

http://thebonablog.com/2018/02/14/ranki ... r-history/

Let's goooooooo
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I figured this as one of three league losses that I predicted at the beginning of the season. It remains the biggest obstacle to running the table (tho I’m not discounting the remaining Davidson game.) A win here would propel us into top 4 seed territory.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

From the Bonnie Board.

“Does Rhode Island have a fan base? Was at the tourney in Pittsburgh and there were hardly any of their fans there. I am sure with their success there are many “fans” now, but they seem like an apathetic bunch. Wonder if they will have any fans when Hurley leaves?”

This is why I hate Bonnie fans, they have no clue and they’re always delusional. Let run these Hicks off the court!!!
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I want every good coach in the A10 to stay here forever.....I can't understand wishing that good coaches leave....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

So when we played them the first time, EC scored 20 points. Where do you think the points come from Friday?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

we just put up 50 in a half without EC. We put up 54 vs Seton Hall in a half without him. I don’t think we will have a hard time replacing the points.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

urirx wrote:So when we played them the first time, EC scored 20 points. Where do you think the points come from Friday?

Nice thing about having 7 other players that can score 20 on any given night is that it could come from anywhere!! Containing their 2 headed monster is the bigger concern.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

urirx wrote:So when we played them the first time, EC scored 20 points. Where do you think the points come from Friday?
I never got this line of argument. On the possessions where EC would have taken a shot, someone else will do it instead. It isn't like we will now just give those possessions away or the guys that take the shots will shoot 0%. You lose something when one of your best player isn't on the floor, but you don't lose everything they did. You lose some percentage based on who you lost and who you're replacing him with. Our guys who will get more minutes are really good. No knock on EC.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Mongo wrote:From the Bonnie Board.

“Does Rhode Island have a fan base? Was at the tourney in Pittsburgh and there were hardly any of their fans there. I am sure with their success there are many “fans” now, but they seem like an apathetic bunch. Wonder if they will have any fans when Hurley leaves?”

This is why I hate Bonnie fans, they have no clue and they’re always delusional. Let run these Hicks off the court!!!
At least someone on their board already called him out. Every fan base has their idiots, but judging a fan base on their attendance at games over 500 miles away from their campus is a special kind of dumb
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This is easy to answer - Cyril, Jarvis & Fatts. They scored 41 points vs Davidson and 37 vs Richmond. They scored 14 in the first game against the Bonnies. As others have said the offensive development of these three has changed Rhody. 8 players who can score 15+ in any game.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
mrhodesnyy
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by mrhodesnyy »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

At least someone on their board already called him out. Every fan base has their idiots, but judging a fan base on their attendance at games over 500 miles away from their campus is a special kind of dumb
Agreed. Let's not stoop to that level. The Bonnies have a storied history and I respect the fanbase who for all intents and purposes live on the basketball island that is Olean, NY. That being said, let's take it to 'em
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This game looks to be an all out war

I am not too confident we pull it out but I think it's close either way
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Have to believe they find a way to win this game with or without EC . They are playing with such confidence
and assurance now . Even when they fall behind there is no panic, instead they just show more determination
and squeeze out a victory.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea we sell out the Ryan Center with a bunch of Macy’s manakins. Idiot.
1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:
I never got this line of argument. On the possessions where EC would have taken a shot, someone else will do it instead. It isn't like we will now just give those possessions away or the guys that take the shots will shoot 0%. You lose something when one of your best player isn't on the floor, but you don't lose everything they did. You lose some percentage based on who you lost and who you're replacing him with. Our guys who will get more minutes are really good. No knock on EC.
Agreed with TP, with all things being equal, I am not as worried about where the points come from if EC misses the game. Where missing EC on Friday could end up hurting us is in weakening one of our major strengths which is depth. A couple guys get into foul trouble and then we're looking at more minutes for Akele instead of just cycling in and out starter level guards. On the road, that could become a concern.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:
This is easy to answer - Cyril, Jarvis & Fatts. They scored 41 points vs Davidson and 37 vs Richmond. They scored 14 in the first game against the Bonnies. As others have said the offensive development of these three has changed Rhody. 8 players who can score 15+ in any game.
You can look back at that game, you could also look at the Richmond game.
EC was not playing well
Score was 32-29 URI with 53 seconds left in the 1st half but it was back and forth
In 15 minutes EC was 1-7 FG, 0-3 on threes, 2 rebounds, no assists, no steals, 2 turnovers.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

so apparently the students are planning to storm the court Saturday Friday....honestly, feels good to be a team that gets stormed over
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
---
---
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice article on SBU assistant coach (and former SJU point guard) Dwayne Lee and his brother, who is a walk-on for the Bonnies this year. Both are St. Anthony alums. Theirs is a special story, and this piece is really well done. Plenty of great quotes from Bob Sr. as well.

Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:so apparently the students are planning to storm the court Saturday....honestly, feels good to be a team that gets stormed over
I hope their students get that opportunity on Saturday. Luckily for us, the game is on Friday :D
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:so apparently the students are planning to storm the court Saturday....honestly, feels good to be a team that gets stormed over
I hope their students get that opportunity on Saturday. Luckily for us, the game is on Friday :D
haha, touche...so we're safe then
0 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I would think after VCU last year they might want to skip out on that, not that I think we'll give them the opportunity.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I would think after VCU last year they might want to skip out on that, not that I think we'll give them the opportunity.
they actually mention that...in a "let's not pull a VCU" kind of way
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Pre planning a court storm? Pretty weak. But I'm pretty much against all court storms for conference games unless you beat a top 5 team. But whatever, that's me. Let them have their fun if they win. This will probably be the most exciting event in Olean until the pie eating contest at this years country fair.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan should let the players know the folks in Olean are basically assuming the Rams will lose. Their fans are so confident that they are planning the celebration days out. Use it as motivation that they don't really respect URI's ability.
4 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote:Dan should let the players know the folks in Olean are basically assuming the Rams will lose. Their fans are so confident that they are planning the celebration days out. Use it as motivation that they don't really respect URI's ability.
yup, good bulletin board material. this along with the NCAA committee not having Rhody in the top 16, just keep playing with that chip on the shoulder and mentality that no one respects you so keep winning!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

What you have to admire in a small school like St. Bonaventure is their basketball tradition/culture which has given them an edge up on larger schools in the A-10 like Fordham, Duquesne and La Salle. It is also why their fan base is so much more active than these schools. That the Bonnies can get so much out of a limited budget is noteworthy on any level. But in the long run, storm clouds are on the horizon for the school and it will be an interesting saga to see how they weather the adverse demographics in play.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I've never understood the "bulletin board material" mentality. "let's tell them the other teams fans are planning to storm the court" to help get them motivated? I would kind of get it at the pro level. It's a long season. Guys are making tons of money. Maybe they need something to spice up a game. But in college? You think this Ram team needs any motivation for a game at St. Bonnies? First off, they know St. Bonnies are a dangerous team. Secondly, isn't playing for seeding in the tourney, a perfect conference record and preserving a place in school history enough motivation? On top of that, these kids play 30-40 games a year and for some of them there will be no basketball after college. Every game should feel like the Super Bowl to them. I don't believe they need anything to get up for this or any other game the rest of the year.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

RhodyRam86 wrote:I've never understood the "bulletin board material" mentality. "let's tell them the other teams fans are planning to storm the court" to help get them motivated? I would kind of get it at the pro level. It's a long season. Guys are making tons of money. Maybe they need something to spice up a game. But in college? You think this Ram team needs any motivation for a game at St. Bonnies? First off, they know St. Bonnies are a dangerous team. Secondly, isn't playing for seeding in the tourney, a perfect conference record and preserving a place in school history enough motivation? On top of that, these kids play 30-40 games a year and for some of them there will be no basketball after college. Every game should feel like the Super Bowl to them. I don't believe they need anything to get up for this or any other game the rest of the year.
there's no such thing as too many reasons to get fired up. If it's up to me I want Terrell thinking Bona is planning a victory parade over this game. He is the ultimate 'chip on his shoulder' player.
2 x
---
---
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The St Bonaventure basketball program is ingrained in the community of Olean/Allegheny. It is a fairly remote town a good distance from a large population center (80 miles/1.5 hr drive to Buffalo). The college and its hoops team are an important part of the surrounding region. Given it is a small town (less than 20,000 area residents), there are not a lot of other things to garner interest. Locals first embraced the hoops team back in its glory days during the sixties and seventies and have remained loyal ever since. For such a small sized school (undergad enrollment of just 1,800), it gets great fan support. Much of that is however not just from students and alumni. The local townies are a very large part of its fan base as there is a special bond between the community and team.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RhodyRam86 wrote:I've never understood the "bulletin board material" mentality. "let's tell them the other teams fans are planning to storm the court" to help get them motivated? I would kind of get it at the pro level. It's a long season. Guys are making tons of money. Maybe they need something to spice up a game. But in college? You think this Ram team needs any motivation for a game at St. Bonnies? First off, they know St. Bonnies are a dangerous team. Secondly, isn't playing for seeding in the tourney, a perfect conference record and preserving a place in school history enough motivation? On top of that, these kids play 30-40 games a year and for some of them there will be no basketball after college. Every game should feel like the Super Bowl to them. I don't believe they need anything to get up for this or any other game the rest of the year.
I didn't say they NEEDED to get motivated. I'm sure they are locked in just like all the past games and have the same approach during this winning streak, and Danny will have them ready.

I was saying that adding it to the other reasons they have been playing with a chip on their shoulder could only help
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

ace wrote:Nice article on SBU assistant coach (and former SJU point guard) Dwayne Lee and his brother, who is a walk-on for the Bonnie’s this year. Both are St. Anthony alums. Theirs is a special story, and this piece is really well done. Plenty of great quotes from Bob Sr. as well.

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing, Ace. Talk about putting things into perspective.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Do we have the longest winning streak in A-10 basketball games?

I haven't seen anything that says that nor have I seen anything showing where we are close to breaking that record.

Edit :

Did some research for myself.

Between '87 and '90 Temple won 31 A-10 games in a row.

Damn..
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Do we have the longest winning streak in A-10 basketball games?

I haven't seen anything that says that nor have I seen anything showing where we are close to breaking that record.

Edit :

Did some research for myself.

Between '87 and '90 Temple won 31 A-10 games in a row.

Damn..

I don't know what the record is, and Temple may certainly have it, but this doesn't make sense. 31 games in a row in a 4 year span? In four years, including the A10 tourney they would play over 60 games. Assuming they went undefeated in the 2 middle years, that would have to be at over 31 games right there. Perhaps you have the years wrong?
0 x