2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spar
Kenny Green

Re: 2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by spar »

Lot of posts I agree with here. Didn't finish tonight. We looked out hustled on several plays. Can't give a team 2, 3 or even 4 (yes they had 4 one trip down court) shots. 3 guys watching each other under the hoop one play as I believe Griffin grabbed the offensive board in the middle of them and laid it in. Way too many turnovers with 17. Some uncharacteristic plays. Oh well. I'm surprisingly over it already.

I'm in the camp that I feel the pressure would've become too much at some point, and to peel off 24 or whatever straight to run the table, and then trying to keep that going in the tourney would've been nuts. I'm of the tought that 1 loss isn't the worst thing, and to this team on the road is the least harmful to our resume.

Now let's hope they are able to reset and turn the page quickly. Dan has been quoted several times this season as saying that's the mentality of everyone, from the coaches down...move on fast, focus on the task at hand. Let's see it on Tuesday. No prisoners!!!
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

SBU tonight reminded me of last years URI team after the Fordham loss.

Got their back up against the wall with regards to making the tournament, and had some really talented upperclassmen decide “f*** this s***, we’re not going out like this” and go on a big winning streak. Good for them. I hope they find the same success we did last year, minus the A10 tourney championship.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

From Koch's projo game story:

“I thought they were more desperate than us,” Hurley said. “I thought they were quicker to a lot of basketballs, and then they turned broken plays into buckets.”

Spot on.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

sf2010 wrote:SBU tonight reminded me of last years URI team after the Fordham loss.

Got their back up against the wall with regards to making the tournament, and had some really talented upperclassmen decide “f*** this s***, we’re not going out like this” and go on a big winning streak. Good for them. I hope they find the same success we did last year, minus the A10 tourney championship.
I was pretty much thinking the same thing.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah they got a lot of 50-50 balls

Great game to watch nail biter through out
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not happy, but not pissed. In a sense it was good to see that we have some competition in the league. The Bonnie’s are back on track and should be a tourney team. Plus we picked up a Q1 win while losing.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed Bona is legit NCAA tourney team for sure
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

In reply to URI '21 , I never said the loss had killed the dream of a tournament run . if you would reread it it says it would make it harder
to achieve the dream of a national championship . How is that stupid ? Are you saying the loss will not make it harder to advance in the
NCAA tournament ? If so i think you are wrong. If we had won out through the A 10 tournament as difficult as that might be, we could have have
a possible 3 seed meaning we would play the 14 and then potentially a 6 and then a potentially a 2 then the 1 seed. Now we will probably end up
a 6 seed playing a 10 then the 3 seed . Wouldn't you feel better following the road of the 3 seed to the final four ? So it is not stupid, it is a fact
that their road to a final four just got harder . the dream is still there but getting there will be harder.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

luke wrote:I'm worried we might see a string of poor games and another loss or two just when they had achieved national
recognition.
Jim Baron is no longer here. We're all good.
10 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This is why the quadrant system is so flawed.

To an extent, we enhanced our resume after we lost a game...
2 x
Go Rhody
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

i had 25 people watching rhody tonight---we lost n now have 2 quadrant 1 wins--- this system is flaud
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote:This is why the quadrant system is so flawed.

To an extent, we enhanced our resume after we lost a game...
Propose a better system. If your answer is go back to what the NCAA did last year, remember that if we lost at home to Davidson we would have picked up a top 100 win for our road win down there earlier in the year, which a lot of people were saying we needed for our resume. Go back to that game thread, there was talk of a loss potentially helping us as much as a win.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I actually like the quadrant system, but I don’t think the numbers are quite right. Top 30 RPI team at home is not the same as top 70 team on the road. It skews to the P5s where some very average teams are in the 50-70 range.

I think the Q1 win should be very elusive, top 20 home, top 35 neutral, top 45 away. Too many resumes this year will be packed with Q1 wins that aren’t really all that UCB better than a win against VCU or Davidson
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
luke wrote:I'm worried we might see a string of poor games and another loss or two just when they had achieved national
recognition.
Jim Baron is no longer here. We're all good.
HURLEYLUJAH!!!
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......for me, last nites loss did not at all feel like the Fordham loss......after that there were the ‘Here we go again feeling with many questions’........after last nite I still have this confident feeling with these experienced players and coaching that we can bounce back quickly, get back to the pre-season team goals that are all still attainable and within our control......give credit to the Bonnie’s......I am not worried at all going into the next games......shit happens......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wow so we benefit from that loss, glass half full fellas. Onto philly.
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I like that Hurley is praising SBU and promoting them as an NCAA team. It is good for the league. Nice to see he is nothing like the classless Phil Martelli who offered no support to URI several years back when it was fighting for NCAA consideration.
10 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Three hangovers:
-- I hate it when we stop playing late in games.
-- When nothing else is working, I wish Jeff would be a little more selfish.
-- Hopefully the selection committee and Obvious Nepotism Hire Gavitt were watching. That was an NCAA team we played last night.
5 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Forgot to mention how I really enjoyed watching EC get a little revenge on Mobley for posterizing him at the Ryan last time we played them. EC juked him big time with that behind the back dribble, then topped it off with a double clutch 3, plus the foul. Was awesome.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rewatching cuz I didn’t get to watch the whole thing... but berry let a lot of balls bounce right out of his hands which is a little surprising
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I didn't realize we were getting a Q1 win, win or lose last night. So we enhanced our resume and the Bonnies got the win they needed to solidify their tourney hopes. If Rhody or the Bonnies loses in the A10 Championship, the A10 might get 3 bids.

Also means we have no losses outside Q1.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Three hangovers:
-- I hate it when we stop playing late in games.
-- When nothing else is working, I wish Jeff would be a little more selfish.
-- Hopefully the selection committee and Obvious Nepotism Hire Gavitt were watching. That was an NCAA team we played last night.
We do seem to come off the gas way too early often.

We were coming off the gas with like 5 or 6 minutes left in this.

When you do that it totally gets you out of your flow so, when the other team comes back on fire and you're turtling to the finish it's so much harder to get back into gear and win it.

Not worried about us though.
Happy for the Bonnies.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

theblueram wrote:I didn't realize we were getting a Q1 win, win or lose last night. So we enhanced our resume and the Bonnies got the win they needed to solidify their tourney hopes. If Rhody or the Bonnies loses in the A10 Championship, the A10 might get 3 bids.

Highly unlikely the A10 get 3 bids. If the Bonnie’s don’t win the tourney they better hope we do. Any other winner would be stealing a bid and that could easily be SBU. Don’t forget they already have a couple bad losses and losing to anyone else other than us would add another.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote:
theblueram wrote:I didn't realize we were getting a Q1 win, win or lose last night. So we enhanced our resume and the Bonnies got the win they needed to solidify their tourney hopes. If Rhody or the Bonnies loses in the A10 Championship, the A10 might get 3 bids.

Highly unlikely the A10 get 3 bids. If the Bonnie’s don’t win the tourney they better hope we do. Any other winner would be stealing a bid and that could easily be SBU. Don’t forget they already have a couple bad losses and losing to anyone else other than us would add another.
From the committee selection last week, seems losses aren't a priority this year. Just Q1 and Q2 wins.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

There were a lot of long rebounds off of missed 3 pointers by the Bonnies in which they got the rebound and additional possessions / shots. A little lucky.....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And based on the new Quadrant system, I think Quad 4 losses are considered bad. Bonnies don't have any losses there.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The sun came up today. Was a little surprised.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Turning point was Stan’s turnover that led to the breakaway dunk with about four minutes left in the game. We had a six point lead and just had an offensive rebound. We were in the process of milking the clock for another 20 or 25 seconds. Had a chance to go up by eight or nine late in the game and probably would’ve put them away. It took the wind out of our sails and got them back in the game. We were outplayed and outscored after that.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All of this talk about the Bonnies getting in and being a Q1 win for us is premature anyway. They'll lose again soon and be out of Q1 and out of tourney consideration.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyRam86 wrote:

That's the question. If SBU wins the rest of their reg season, they will be 24-6 pre A10 tourney. There are only two possibilities I see where the A10 potentially get 3 bids, neither allow for URI winning the A10:

1. (More likely to get 3 bids) SBU makes the finals and is upset by someone other than URI (meaning URI isn't in the A10 final).
2. Neither URI nor SBU make the A10 final guaranteeing an unknown quantity gets the autobid.

While URI is in either way in either scenario, whether SBU is also in would depend on other bubble teams and how they do and how safe they are pre A10 tourney. I do think for the A10 to get 3 bids it would require SBU to go to the final and lose to someone other than URI and that 3rd team not being a total dog. I think in any other scenario, SBU would have their bubble burst by a 3rd A10 team. Of course I have no idea.

Either way, I want URI to get the auto bid and have SBU be the at-large. I'm fine with only 2 A10 bids...I'll be selfish.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Something else to add that I realized I never had with this or any Rhody team. Even though it ultimately didn't happen, I had no doubt in my mind that they would re-take the lead after that dunk and was shocked that JT missed the layup (great help D by SBU there). Anyway, it's really nice to have at least some confidence that my team is going to have a decent play and execute, rather than pray that it will somehow workout. This is a good thing in the long run.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote:Turning point was Stan’s turnover that led to the breakaway dunk with about four minutes left in the game. We had a six point lead and just had an offensive rebound. We were in the process of milking the clock for another 20 or 25 seconds. Had a chance to go up by eight or nine late in the game and probably would’ve put them away. It took the wind out of our sails and got them back in the game. We were outplayed and outscored after that.
The Stan turnover that led to the dunk happened at 6:02. Not four minutes. At 4:31 Fatts hit a layup to put Rhody up by 6 (71-65).
We didn’t score a FG the rest of the way going 0-6.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:
KevanBoyles wrote:Turning point was Stan’s turnover that led to the breakaway dunk with about four minutes left in the game. We had a six point lead and just had an offensive rebound. We were in the process of milking the clock for another 20 or 25 seconds. Had a chance to go up by eight or nine late in the game and probably would’ve put them away. It took the wind out of our sails and got them back in the game. We were outplayed and outscored after that.
The Stan turnover that led to the dunk happened at 6:02. Not four minutes. At 4:31 Fatts hit a layup to put Rhody up by 6 (71-65).
We didn’t score a FG the rest of the way going 0-6.
Because we totally changed the way we were playing. That's why we don't get good shots when we do that.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No question this team stalls when it goes into half court/motion offense.

I would expect the lesson was learned last night and the mistake won’t be repeated.

The only time this team should run motion is when we are trying to keep from embarrassing another team with a huge point spread victory.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote:No question this team stalls when it goes into half court/motion offense.

I would expect the lesson was learned last night and the mistake won’t be repeated.

The only time this team should run motion is when we are trying to keep from embarrassing another team with a huge point spread victory.
Yup. Should only be used as our version of taking a knee
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we're up by 20 with 6 minutes left and want to run some clock to limit the number of possessions the other team can get, I get it. But why do it when there's 6 minutes left and up by 6? I don't get it at all. It kills momentum and results in bad, rushed shots as the shot clock expires. Can someone please explain to me why we do it? There must be a reason.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think it might be a bit of a misconception that we were taking our foot off the gas and running clock. I think we just stopped making shots. Our offense was actually struggling with pacing the entire game.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Correct on the 6 minutes and not 4 and I didn’t mean we were going into a stall. I do think we had the opportunity to take a few seconds and regroup. After all with a 6 point lead there was no need to rush. We just weren’t the same team after that turnover.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

luke wrote:In reply to URI '21 , I never said the loss had killed the dream of a tournament run . if you would reread it it says it would make it harder
to achieve the dream of a national championship . How is that stupid ? Are you saying the loss will not make it harder to advance in the
NCAA tournament ? If so i think you are wrong. If we had won out through the A 10 tournament as difficult as that might be, we could have have
a possible 3 seed meaning we would play the 14 and then potentially a 6 and then a potentially a 2 then the 1 seed. Now we will probably end up
a 6 seed playing a 10 then the 3 seed . Wouldn't you feel better following the road of the 3 seed to the final four ? So it is not stupid, it is a fact
that their road to a final four just got harder . the dream is still there but getting there will be harder.
All good, I see your point. Just giving you a hard time because I think this :
recognition and a chance at an unbelievable NCAA seed and really a chance at a national title.
is WAY too negative of a take. It was a tough loss to a good team where we made some fixable mistakes. Definitely not a season de-railer.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprised we aren't talking more about El Jefe missing the front end 1-1 with 18 secs left would have tied it

Got to be clutch there !!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

La Salle is going to get blown out.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rewatched the ending just now

That call against Cyril at the 56 sec mark- WOW

speechless how you make that call abd give them 2 points
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

sorry, URI'21 you are right . that second post WAS too negative, but you have to appreciate that i wasn't quite in my right mind
after having just watched that gut wrenching loss . I want you to know that I have since recovered after having slept on it and
I am once again ready to return to the land of the living and the sane. I expect Rhody to deliver big time against the Explorers
on Tuesday.
1 x
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I think it's good we got the loss out of our system now. Would have been cool to run the table in the A10 but this will hopefully help ground the plane and give them a foundation to build another streak.

And now Hurley has an undefeated A10 regular season to gun for in the future :lol:
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch of the Providence Journal was on WEEI southern New England Sports Saturday to talk the Bona game and what lies ahead for Rhody. Good listen!

0 x