2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by RF1 »

RPI rank drops four spots to #9. Very little RPI rating score difference between #4-10. Bonaventure moved up to #29.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Played not to lose once they were up 6. Just didn’t attack anymore.

We were due to lose one of the close ones after the bunch of other games that broke our way.

What a game though
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

That was a really good basketball game! St. Bonaventure got better looks at the end of the game. It is time to start another winning streak and will be good to have two A-10 teams in March Madness.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I am ok with the loss. Not ok with our last 6 minutes. Up 6 with the ball when Stan turned it over for a Bonnies dunk. We are usually composed down the stretch. Some bad stats. 2-12 last 7:40. No FGs in last 4:30. 17 turnovers and 19 offensive rebounds for Bonnies. Stan was out of it after he got hurt.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

Would have been a HUGE win for seeding (playing a quality opponent). A very small chance at the EAST REGION now where dreams certainly were on the table for that magical Butler, VCU or WSU run to a FF in SA. Missed free throws and mental breakdown on defense are not things to expect from an experienced team. This team still has a punchers chance at the S16 out of the 5 or 6 seeding hole if you run the table from here. I think most of you agree another loss very possible.

BCS bias is so ridiculous and sad as it relates to tournament seeding.

Good luck!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RIFan wrote:the refs did us no favors and the conspiricy theory is the A10 wanted the Bonnies to win...
Just like Villanova lost it's last three? Ya think?
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Also we picked up a quad 1 win anyways lol
1 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Credit to Bonnie’s... they played an outstanding game. We played very well but too many turnovers and we gave up to many rebounds tonight. That ultimately was the difference.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

RIFan wrote:the refs did us no favors and the conspiricy theory is the A10 wanted the Bonnies to win...

waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Doubtful. You don't get calls on the road in games like that. You could probably find a couple calls that went against us, but Bonnies played well, they're a good team. This is life on the road in college basketball. I know we got used to being impervious to that, but it happens to everyone.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They were really sloppy with the ball tonight. Offense wasn't in synch tonight for the most part. Agree with those above about how we lost our aggressiveness the last 4 minutes. One thing I noticed is that they seemed to forget about EC down the stretch who was hot in the second half. Also agree with those who think we were due for a loss. We got away with games like this against lower level teams but not the Bonnies tonight. Mobley was a different player tonight. And a few of those role players played very well, as noted by others.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

TruePoint wrote:
Doubtful. You don't get calls on the road in games like that. You could probably find a couple calls that went against us, but Bonnies played well, they're a good team. This is life on the road in college basketball. I know we got used to being impervious to that, but it happens to everyone.
I know...just figured i'd have some fun with it....but there were some dubious calls and non calls towards the end.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Sucks to lose but this was a hell of a game. Yes, mistakes were made down the stretch, but if we were going to lose glad it was to the Bonnies, not a bad loss.

Bonnies wanted it more and out hustled us, give them their due

We still don’t have a bad loss on the season
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Would have been nice to run the A-10 table but the downside (if you can call it that) would be that it came in a one bid league.

This is what on the road in college hoops is all about. I’m glad some of the younger guys got to experience that this year.

Also, I wouldn’t say I’m taking this as well as everyone else. Meaning I wouldn’t mind popping their bubble.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:I am ok with the loss. Not ok with our last 6 minutes. Up 6 with the ball when Stan turned it over for a Bonnies dunk. We are usually composed down the stretch. Some bad stats. 2-12 last 7:40. No FGs in last 4:30. 17 turnovers and 19 offensive rebounds for Bonnies. Stan was out of it after he got hurt.
Sure. Show me a loss where the losing team plays a perfect game. Losses happen, and most losses aren't pretty, and even some wins aren't. Every team in the country has lost a conference game. That's a tournament team with one of the unique homecourts. I don't think anything happened tonight to change anything we think about this team, other than the dream of running the table in conference (which EVERYONE here dismissed as a pipe dream even 3 weeks ago) is over. So be it. On to La Salle.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

great game, but in hindsight and looking at the numbers, I think dan made a mistake in hedging out on their basket that put them up 1 with 20 seconds to go. we were up one so any basket they scored was going to hurt, but a 3 wouldn't have killed us. adams was 2-12 in the game and 0-4 from three. we should have played him straight up. if we were up 2 or 3 i would have felt differently as the 3 would have changed the lead.

the down side of all this is we probably lost any chance of a 4 seed. will have to win out and hope to catch bonnies in the final to have a shot.

to find a silver lining, streaks have pressure. i know i was feeling it and i haven't made a meaningful shot all year. no problem with how the team has played under pressure, but this should make them more relaxed.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

HATE LOSING

Up 6 and EC missing the running layup/ getting fouled to go up 8 then it going down to 4 was the turning point

Too bad we couldn’t produce there
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Great game. Well officiated, good college atmosphere.
Building was worth 10 points tonight.

There for the taking at the end.

Play on, work to do.

Go Rhody
Last edited by hrstrat57 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still don't like trying to protect a lead with 4 or 5 minutes left. All you end up doing is forcing a shot as the shot clock is about to expire. I'd rather keep doing what we're good at and go for the throat. If we're up 3 or 4 with a minute or so to go, fine. But I think 4 or 5 minutes is way too early. Besides having to force shots, it kills momentum and gives the momentum to them. I understand it has worked in some games this year, but I didn't like it then either. But really no reason to complain, 16 straight was awesome. The Bonnies played a good game. Mobley was much better than he usually is against us. Learn from this loss and move on. Still big things ahead.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ElmCityRhody wrote:HATE LOSING

Up 6 and EC missing the running layup/ getting fouled to go up 8 then it going down to 4 was the turning point

Too bad we couldn’t produce there

how about this for a turning point...stan missing a 3 that would have put us up 9 then turning the ball over and giving them a dunk to cut it to 4. hate always going to the officials to find the reason we lost.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I guess I'm the only one on the Board that is sick about the loss . Yeah, I realize it was on the road and the Bonnies are good,
but they had the lead and it just looked like the Bonnies players gave more effort in the last two minutes . Rather than feeling
the pressure is off, I'm worried we might see a string of poor games and another loss or two just when they had achieved national
recognition and a chance at an unbelievable NCAA seed and really a chance at a national title. The loss makes that dream harder to
achieve . Now is not the time to mess up what they have to this point . Have to go to Lasalle and tear them apart. Right at this
moment I am concerned that that isn't going to happen . I hope I feel differently tomorrow , but for now my stomach is very
upset .
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

True

I think I got a bit mixed up here

Stan didn’t not have a good game at all
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:great game, but in hindsight and looking at the numbers, I think dan made a mistake in hedging out on their basket that put them up 1 with 20 seconds to go. we were up one so any basket they scored was going to hurt, but a 3 wouldn't have killed us. adams was 2-12 in the game and 0-4 from three. we should have played him straight up. if we were up 2 or 3 i would have felt differently as the 3 would have changed the lead.

the down side of all this is we probably lost any chance of a 4 seed. will have to win out and hope to catch bonnies in the final to have a shot.

to find a silver lining, streaks have pressure. i know i was feeling it and i haven't made a meaningful shot all year. no problem with how the team has played under pressure, but this should make them more relaxed.
Disagree with your first point. Dan knows how to coach. Stan (our best defensive player) made a big mistake on the play.
Agree on your second point. The streak brings pressure. They can now focus on the goal of winning the A10 Tournament. Learn from their mistakes.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

No, now they better focus on winning their next game against Lasalle on the road.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Like many of you, I hated losing this game. This would have been a great win against a great team. I did think JT got fouled on a miss they didn't call, then called a foul on the rebound against us. They hit 2 shots making it (I think) 74-73, when (assuming JT hit's the free throws) it's 76-71. But I"m not super mad. Up 67-61 with the ball that's when we need to put a team away. Honestly we haven't had that much experience with that lately. Most games we've put away earlier in the 2nd half. The closest was at UMass when we thought we had it put away with 4 mins left, and let them back in it. That said, I'll give SBU a ton of credit. They really buckled down and played well down the stretch. Got nearly every lose ball and rebound. The deserved it today.

I'm glad most of us on this board feel that way. Some times you just have to give credit and move on.

Now before we're on to LaSalle, 4 more points:

1. I thought for sure JT's 3 was going to go in at the buzzer. Only because, the way this game was going, why not?
2. And more importantly, how did JT's layup with 6(?) secs left NOT go in?
3. Finally, that was bad D letting that guy go in for an uncontested dunk to take the lead with 20 seconds left. In excusable. If they beat us with a ridiculous shot, that's one thing, but make it an effort.
4. Hopefully SBU makes the most of this, wins the rest of their regular season games, then loses to us in the A10 finals (or wherever, as long as URI wins the championship). Either way, I want the A10 to have URI as their auto bid and SBU get an at-large.

Okay, got that off my chest....now, on to LaSalle
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhodyRam86 wrote:

waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa
I guess I should have added an emoji so you could tell it was tongue in cheek...waaaa waaaa waaaa I have no sense of humor...
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:great game, but in hindsight and looking at the numbers, I think dan made a mistake in hedging out on their basket that put them up 1 with 20 seconds to go. we were up one so any basket they scored was going to hurt, but a 3 wouldn't have killed us. adams was 2-12 in the game and 0-4 from three. we should have played him straight up. if we were up 2 or 3 i would have felt differently as the 3 would have changed the lead.

Disagree with your first point. Dan knows how to coach. Stan (our best defensive player) made a big mistake on the play.
Agree on your second point. The streak brings pressure. They can now focus on the goal of winning the A10 Tournament. Learn from their mistakes.

agree that stan made a mistake, but if that's the case, we were making that same mistake continuously throughout the game. bonnies probably scored 10 points on that play (don't hold me to that i don't know for sure) and they missed a number of bunnies off the same play. adams was having a off night. dan has had an incredible year from the bench. doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. easy for me to make a hindsight call. did he tell Stan to stay home? this is the first time I've questioned him all year.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

luke wrote:I'm worried we might see a string of poor games and another loss or two just when they had achieved national
recognition and a chance at an unbelievable NCAA seed and really a chance at a national title. The loss makes that dream harder to
achieve .
This is the stupidest thing I've read tonight

A hard fought loss on the road to a tourney team isn't going to kill our dreams of a tournament run
9 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I still don't like trying to protect a lead with 4 or 5 minutes left. All you end up doing is forcing a shot as the shot clock is about to expire. I'd rather keep doing what we're good at and go for the throat. If we're up 3 or 4 with a minute or so to go, fine. But I think 4 or 5 minutes is way too early. Besides having to force shots, it kills momentum and gives the momentum to them. I understand it has worked in some games this year, but I didn't like it then either. But really no reason to complain, 16 straight was awesome. The Bonnies played a good game. Mobley was much better than he usually is against us. Learn from this loss and move on. Still big things ahead.
100% agree on approach down the stretch. Was saying to friends in real time when it was happening. But hopefully it's a learning experience for the players and the staff. We took our foot off the gas and didn't execute the same way we did the first 36 minutes and the previousl however many games. But I mean...all teams have games like that. I don't think it is revealing of any larger issue with the team. It's just revealing of the reality that you can't be perfect.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Did I really just read we have a “punchers chance” at the sweet 16 as a 5 or 6 seed?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote:Like many of you, I hated losing this game. This would have been a great win against a great team. I did think JT got fouled on a miss they didn't call, then called a foul on the rebound against us. They hit 2 shots making it (I think) 74-73, when (assuming JT hit's the free throws) it's 76-71. But I"m not super mad. Up 67-61 with the ball that's when we need to put a team away. Honestly we haven't had that much experience with that lately. Most games we've put away earlier in the 2nd half. The closest was at UMass when we thought we had it put away with 4 mins left, and let them back in it. That said, I'll give SBU a ton of credit. They really buckled down and played well down the stretch. Got nearly every lose ball and rebound. The deserved it today.

I'm glad most of us on this board feel that way. Some times you just have to give credit and move on.

1. I thought for sure JT's 3 was going to go in at the buzzer. Only because, the way this game was going, why not?
3. Finally, that was bad D letting that guy go in for an uncontested dunk to take the lead with 20 seconds left. In excusable. If they beat us with a ridiculous shot, that's one thing, but make it an effort.
4. Hopefully SBU makes the most of this, wins the rest of their regular season games, then loses to us in the A10 finals (or wherever, as long as URI wins the championship). Either way, I want the A10 to have URI as their auto bid and SBU get an at-large.

1) i agree. i thought jt's shot was going in at the buzzer too. it was like a heavyweight fight with punches and counters all night.
2) looked like JT had an open lane, but give Griffin credit. he came over and altered the shot. made it much tougher than it looked like it was going to be.
3) i don't think this was lack of effort. stan made a mistake by not staying home, but i think the mistake was in hedging against a shooter having an off night in the first place.
4) hope SBU loses to us in the finals. we could use another q1 win for seeding.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

agree that stan made a mistake, but if that's the case, we were making that same mistake continuously throughout the game. bonnies probably scored 10 points on that play (don't hold me to that i don't know for sure) and they missed a number of bunnies off the same play. adams was having a off night. dan has had an incredible year from the bench. doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. easy for me to make a hindsight call. did he tell Stan to stay home? this is the first time I've questioned him all year.
Watch the play again. Stan went to move inside and then left the player open as he went to the basket. Bonnies did miss some bunnies and had some big mismatches with Fatts and Garrett down low. I give Bonnies credit for executing. We lost this game because we shot 2-12 in the last 8 minutes.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Oh yeah this is what it feels like to lose....
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ah well, what the hell else is there to do in friggin Olean or whatever that sister-f&#king sh!thole they played in is there? (Rhetorical question, fellas.)

We played well until the end. Let's make sure we don't lose to those La Salle La Losers.
Last edited by PeteRI 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhodyRam86 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:Like many of you, I hated losing this game. This would have been a great win against a great team. I did think JT got fouled on a miss they didn't call, then called a foul on the rebound against us. They hit 2 shots making it (I think) 74-73, when (assuming JT hit's the free throws) it's 76-71. But I"m not super mad. Up 67-61 with the ball that's when we need to put a team away. Honestly we haven't had that much experience with that lately. Most games we've put away earlier in the 2nd half. The closest was at UMass when we thought we had it put away with 4 mins left, and let them back in it. That said, I'll give SBU a ton of credit. They really buckled down and played well down the stretch. Got nearly every lose ball and rebound. The deserved it today.

1) i agree. i thought jt's shot was going in at the buzzer too. it was like a heavyweight fight with punches and counters all night.
2) looked like JT had an open lane, but give Griffin credit. he came over and altered the shot. made it much tougher than it looked like it was going to be.
3) i don't think this was lack of effort. stan made a mistake by not staying home, but i think the mistake was in hedging against a shooter having an off night in the first place.
4) hope SBU loses to us in the finals. we could use another q1 win for seeding.
Poor choice of words on my part in #3. I didn't mean they didn't try, but you can't leave a guy open for a dunk like that not in that part of the game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhody83 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Watch the play again. Stan went to move inside and then left the player open as he went to the basket. Bonnies did miss some bunnies and had some big mismatches with Fatts and Garrett down low. I give Bonnies credit for executing. We lost this game because we shot 2-12 in the last 8 minutes.

good point 83. in a close game we can knit pick all night about a play here and there or a ref's call, but bottom line, our offense went sour with 4-5 minutes to go. there were a number of times i said to myself get a basket and a stop and this game is over. we just couldn't get the basket.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steveystuds06 wrote:Did I really just read we have a “punchers chance” at the sweet 16 as a 5 or 6 seed?
That was not from a Rhody fan.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I would prefer a little more passing. Creating shots for each other. Not the hero angle.

But?????

We had our chances in the last minute. We move on.

Very physical game.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steviep123
Sly Williams

"We lost this game because we shot 2-12 in the last 8 minutes."

BINGO!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

The most annoying thing about this game is having to listen to a delusional former co-worker and SBU alum texting me pre and post game that Mobley is “clearly the best player in the A-10.”

Get the f*uck outta here with that.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Mobley isn't even the best player on his own team.

Clearly they just want to clinch the regular season championship at home
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I feel like bad execution down the stretch cost us this game

Can't give up a dunk out of a timeout with a 1 point lead in the last minute

Also Jefe missed 1-1 down 1 with 18 secs left

A loss here isn't the worst thing at this point our goals are still intact
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Anybody else here feel we should have got more Fatts involved in the last few minutes? And why did Dre score 8 points in the first 5 minutes and then nothing after?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

PeteRI wrote:Anybody else here feel we should have got more Fatts involved in the last few minutes? And why did Dre score 8 points in the first 5 minutes and then nothing after?
1) Nah - who’s coming off the court for him to come in? I know Stan had a rough game but you’ve gotta trust him to step up when we need it, he just didn’t come through.

2) Cyril was much more effective defensively and on the glass. Andre turned it over a few times later in the first half and was overall a much less effective player than Cyril following the first couple minutes
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote:Anybody else here feel we should have got more Fatts involved in the last few minutes? And why did Dre score 8 points in the first 5 minutes and then nothing after?
Berry barely played in the 2nd half....maybe the first 5 mins?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody outscored 18-7 off turnovers. Wow
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

steviep123 wrote:
Berry barely played in the 2nd half....maybe the first 5 mins?
Pretty much, I think he played to the first tv timeout and then sat the rest of the half. I love Berry’s game but it’s tough to rely on him because you never know what games he’ll be effective in.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I guess the five missed fts in a tite game like this didn't help either. I may be wrong, but I don't think we've missed that many in awhile...
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I love Fatts but he can be erratic as Fr are. You have to play Jarvis with his experience over Fatts. Unless Fatts was on fire. Stan is in for rebounding.

Regarding Berry, he had three turnovers in a row at the end of the first Half and then wasn’t scoring to start the second half. Bonnies were getting too many offensive rebounds when he was in. Cyril had a double double in 26 minutes and hit two clutch FTs to take the lead with 35 seconds to go.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody83 wrote:Rhody outscored 18-7 off turnovers. Wow
I think it's pretty safe to say, that SBU out URI'd URI.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!