2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/16 | St.Bonaventure Bonnies | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:Do we have the longest winning streak in A-10 basketball games?

I haven't seen anything that says that nor have I seen anything showing where we are close to breaking that record.

Edit :

Did some research for myself.

Between '87 and '90 Temple won 31 A-10 games in a row.

Damn..

I don't know what the record is, and Temple may certainly have it, but this doesn't make sense. 31 games in a row in a 4 year span? In four years, including the A10 tourney they would play over 60 games. Assuming they went undefeated in the 2 middle years, that would have to be at over 31 games right there. Perhaps you have the years wrong?
87 trough 89 whoooooops
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

PeterRamTime wrote:Do we have the longest winning streak in A-10 basketball games?

I haven't seen anything that says that nor have I seen anything showing where we are close to breaking that record.

Edit :

Damn..
Looking at the A10 record book, they have the official record as Temple winning 27 straight A10 games from the 1982-1983 through the 1984-1985 season - so I'm thinking the conference record only reflects regular season games. If I'm correct, that would put us at 18 consecutive A10 wins, starting with at George Mason last season - this would give us a tie for the 4th longest winning streak in A10 History.

Link to A10 Record Book: https://issuu.com/atlantic10conference/ ... 6/55939004
Attachments
A10 Winning Streaks.png
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The first matchup..

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shaolin Swat wrote:

Edit :

Damn..
Looking at the A10 record book, they have the official record as Temple winning 27 straight A10 games from the 1982-1983 through the 1984-1985 season - so I'm thinking the conference record only reflects regular season games. If I'm correct, that would put us at 18 consecutive A10 wins, starting with at George Mason last season - this would give us a tie for the 4th longest winning streak in A10 History.

Correct, they don't count the conference tournament, because GW didn't win the 2006 tournament, Xavier did
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Edit :

Damn..
I was going to say, if anyone, it would be Temple. I know they went 21-0 (including the A10 tourney) in 1988.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Always good to hear from Chris,

Also, every time I see that picture, I laugh. It looks like everyone’s yelling at Jeff and Nicola thinks it’s funny.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Have to get Berry going more, he' been too slow lately.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:

Always good to hear from Chris,

Also, every time I see that picture, I laugh. It looks like everyone’s yelling at Jeff and Nicola thinks it’s funny.
Great questions and great answers. Very insightful.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Shaolin Swat wrote:

Edit :

Damn..

Are we including the A10 tournament? That would add another 3 games
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote:
Shaolin Swat wrote:

Edit :

Damn..

Are we including the A10 tournament? That would add another 3 games
The record book doesn't seem to be, but it definitely should.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Reagarding that Temple team in '88. We know how good we were that year. We lost to them 3 times. They went 18-0 in conference.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Some quotes from an editorial on TheBonaBlog:

"But there is little doubt this game Friday night qualifies. It was announced as a sell-out some five days early, which even in recent times of prosperity is virtually unheard of (at least for non-Alumni-Weekend games). It will feature Rhode Island’s Rams, the class of the A-10 so far, unbeaten and all but unchallenged and already the owner of an earlier win over the Bonnies (a game that tipped at 11 o’clock on a Saturday morning and featured a Ryan Center gathering that was every bit as rabid as the most-rabid Reilly Center horde has ever been). The Bonnies are playing their best basketball of the season, and have seemed to reach a new level after officially reaching the point in the season when they realized they had zero margin for error. As an added bonus, the Rams are coached by Danny Hurley, who is unquestionably one of the great coaching talents in the country but whose – shall we say – “demonstrative” sideline demeanor always makes him a favorite of the particularly throaty segment of the RC’s clientele."

"I’m inclined to declare this the Most Anticipated Game in Reilly Center History (and I’d say it’s probably the most anticipated home game at any venue since the Saturday evening of Feb. 25, 1961, when a cigar-smoke-enveloped mob [plus one Sports Illustrated reporter] stuffed the old Olean Armory in anticipation of a 100th-straight home victory over Niagara … and, well, there’s no need to talk any further about that)."

http://thebonablog.com/2018/02/14/ranki ... r-history/
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

EC listed as questionable on Vegas Insider. so he is not yet listed as out which is hopeful.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Unfortunately we barely missed an excellent opportunity to play Temple a 4th time. Macon was a matchup nightmare but I don’t think we would have lost to them a fourth time.

One of Penders few mistakes was waiting till 9-0 Temple to call time out in the Keaney game. It was neck n neck after that.

That was one tough ticket and I had four of them! Electric atmosphere most of that season in Keaney.

Memory lane thread poach off.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good let them plan a court storming and watch them cry all the way to the parking lot after we win ??
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

The 210 Oyster Bar is not that big and will jammed tomorrow night for the game. How about Arooga's in Warwick? Much bigger with lots of TVs.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

eli#10 wrote:The 210 Oyster Bar is not that big and will jammed tomorrow night for the game. How about Arooga's in Warwick? Much bigger with lots of TVs.
That is where I have watched a couple of games this year. works pretty well.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Only time the Bonnies beat Rhody in 5 years was when EC was injured and Hassan was playing through being hurt/injured.

Weird game, they snuck up on URI at the end and the game was over. IDK why A10 talk and all these Bonnie fans consider themselves in the same breath as the Keaney Blue.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Game day baby!! Let's keep the streak alive! We thrive in hostile environments these days, so the rowdier the crowd is, the better! Let's go Rhody!!!!
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

spar wrote:Game day baby!! Let's keep the streak alive! We thrive in hostile environments these days, so the rowdier the crowd is, the better! Let's go Rhody!!!!
yup, this year's team seems to love being the villains. they find that extra gear and dismantle teams (see Dayton and VCU)
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

fire it up

no let down

let's see if this team can answer this test tonight and see if they are legit (shhhhh....reverse psychology)

let's gooooo !
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

lmao their board is talking about how going to a 4 guard lineup will disrupt URI, the team with twice as many good guards.
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote:lmao their board is talking about how going to a 4 guard lineup will disrupt URI, the team with twice as many good guards.
haha, saw that too.

i hope they go 4 guards, you couldn't play into our hands any more than that.
4 x
---
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Game day baby! 9 1/2 hours to go!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:lmao their board is talking about how going to a 4 guard lineup will disrupt URI, the team with twice as many good guards.
haha, saw that too.

i hope they go 4 guards, you couldn't play into our hands any more than that.
In fairness, their front court is pretty weak, so maybe there's a bit of "what do we have to lose?" in that strategy.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dan has had decent success versus St Bonaventure since coming to URI. His record against the Bonnies is 5-2. This includes a mark of 1-1 at the Reilly Center. Rhody has won the last three match-ups.

DATE | S | URI - SBU | W/L
2/9/2013 | H | 61 - 67 | L
2/22/2014 | A | 87 - 78 | W
1/25/2015 | H | 53 - 48 | W
1/13/2016 | A | 64 - 69 | L
1/2/2017 | H | 71 - 59 | W
3/10/2017 | N | 74 - 63 | W
1/13/2018 | H | 87 - 73 | W
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Only time the Bonnies beat Rhody in 5 years was when EC was injured and Hassan was playing through being hurt/injured.

Weird game, they snuck up on URI at the end and the game was over. IDK why A10 talk and all these Bonnie fans consider themselves in the same breath as the Keaney Blue.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Will see tonight if Rhody can win at another one of the A-10's most hostile venues. URI has already won at a sold out UD Arena on a Saturday and a sold out ESPN2 Friday night game at VCU. The games at UD and VCU were not only wins but were both victories by double digits. Can Rhode Island win again at a sold out ESPN2 Friday night game at the Reilly Center in Olean? I would not dismiss the thought. This URI team seems to get up for big games and appears to relish the situation.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Unlike Richmond with its strong starting five and little depth, St. Bonaventure presents a somewhat deeper team and more bench power then the Spiders. But the Bonnies are very dependent on Mobley and Adams for their scoring punch - commonly these guys play close to 40 minutes and contribute over 50% of the scoring. In fact, SBU's top three scorers account for almost 70% of their scoring. In contrast EC and Jared account for 38% of URI scoring and the top three Rams account for 50%.

To win at Reilly, URI has to duplicate what happened at Ryan. No slow starts to either half, pressure defend to keep the Bonnies FG% and 3PT% in the 30's range. and outrebound them. The one area to improve on - the Bonnies played a great game at Ryan and showed great ball control by having only 8 turnovers, much lower that the double digits they usually show - they had 18 TO's in their loss to Dayton, for example.

Based on the eye test of YTD performance and stats analysis, URI is the better team, but the Bonnies are a very good team and they have the home court, and given the vagaries of college ball this season, this will be a tough one for the Rams.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Our game is the feature write up for tonight.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... ry/1910153
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Will be interesting to see if Cyril continues his recent dominance tonight. In the first meeting he still had 9 rebounds in 17 minutes off the bench and that was before he really started on this recent run he has been on. Berry also had 12 and 7 last time. Could be an interesting area to watch for tonight.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This season (and last) plus recruiting for next year has made life tough for our old friend seanmac..

Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Only time the Bonnies beat Rhody in 5 years was when EC was injured and Hassan was playing through being hurt/injured.

EC shouldn't be in that list, he beat Bonnies at the Reilly Center his freshman yr when he and X went off to combine for like 50 pts
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dre3000 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

EC shouldn't be in that list, he beat Bonnies at the Reilly Center his freshman yr when he and X went off to combine for like 50 pts
You are right Dre. EC had 24, Munford had 32 for 56 of URIs 87 points at olean.

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/2013 ... w=boxscore
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

EC has never lost to the Bonnies.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Form the Bonnie’s forum “I don’t care if EC Matthews plays. Won’t make a difference. Lamar Odom couldn’t save the Rams tonight.” Lol
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They started drinking early for this one
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Form the Bonnie’s forum “I don’t care if EC Matthews plays. Won’t make a difference. Lamar Odom couldn’t save the Rams tonight.” Lol
Since that is exactly what I would be saying right now if I were a Bonnies fan, I cannot in good conscience condemn that man. We are kindred spirits. (Doesn't make him right, though. I think Rhody rolls tonight.)
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We just match up so well with them.

They have to have other guys step up big time to beat us.

Mobley and Adams just can't do it all playing 40 minutes against our defense. They've gotten worn down the past 3 times we've played. They need other guys to make plays or else it's going to be the same story.

Wouldn't mind a close game. It would be nice for us to play a team that can get close to our level.

Although I always prefer a blowout :)
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Form the Bonnie’s forum “I don’t care if EC Matthews plays. Won’t make a difference. Lamar Odom couldn’t save the Rams tonight.” Lol
Since that is exactly what I would be saying right now if I were a Bonnies fan, I cannot in good conscience condemn that man. We are kindred spirits. (Doesn't make him right, though. I think Rhody rolls tonight.)
yup, as a maker of emotion based comments that dont age well, cant fault them for being fired up.

i dont know if we roll tonight, but I think its one of those games that isnt good for the nerves. Thinking a 4-6 point lead most of the game with Mobley and Adams doing enough to prevent it them from pulling away.

Key is the 1st 10 minutes. The crowd will be its loudest there and gotta expect them to come out flying. Weather the storm and take control when the adrenaline runs out
1 x
---
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I keep hearing people mention Mobley in the same breath as Adams, but has Mobley ever had a good game against us? I mean, he might score double figures, but it will take him 75 shots and a bunch of bailouts from the refs to get it.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I actually enjoy it, they have a great fan base, let the battle begin.
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
University of Rhode Island at St. Bonaventure University
Reilly Center, Olean, NY
Friday, February 16, 2018
7:00PM (ESPN2)

Media

TV: ESPN2

Streaming: WatchESPN app

Radio: B101, 101.5 FM

Previews:

Vegas:

Opponent

Record:
19-6, 9-4 in the Atlantic-10 Conference (2nd place)
Home: 11-1
Last season: 20-12, 11-7 in Atlantic 10

Rankings:
RPI: 42 (39.4 expected)
BPI: 54
Kenpom: 67
Sagarin: 55

Leaders (updated):
Points - Jaylen Adams, 20.5
Rebounds - LaDarien Griffin, 6.5
Assists - Jaylen Adams, 5.3

Last Five (5-0)
2/13/18   RICH    W  85-67
2/9/18    DAV     W  72-59
2/2/18    @VCU    W  81-68
1/30/17   @UMASS  W  85-83
1/27/17   DUQ     W  61-58
Roster and Statistics (not updated from 1/13 game)

Preview

For projected starters Courtney Stockard will start - not Ayeni. Stockard has been a starter the last 8 games replacing Ayeni after the URI game.
Vs URI Stockard had 9 rebounds 14 points off the bench. Stan should have Stockard tonight.
In past 8 Games as a starter Stockard has 7.2rpg and 11 ppg. He is a JC transfer.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It says right in the post that it hasn't been updated.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I keep hearing people mention Mobley in the same breath as Adams, but has Mobley ever had a good game against us? I mean, he might score double figures, but it will take him 75 shots and a bunch of bailouts from the refs to get it.
Jared owns Mobley.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Went back and saw your statement that the projected starting line ups were from January 13. Missed that it was old info.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Next year I will save down each roster as I make it. For some dumb reason I didn't do that this year, I just kept updating the same file for each game. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late (repeat opponents didn't dawn on me until league play started). It just takes too long to recreate it, so we get recycled rosters and stats for our repeat opponents - they won't be exactly right, but should be directionally correct.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

13-0 versus the A-10 this season. Only three games have had margins less than double digits (@SLU/Duquesne/@UMass).
0 x