EC Injury Watch

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EC Injury Watch

Unread post by Blue Man »

Figured this is a good place to condense all the info people will be looking for over the next 48 hours.

I can say I’ve had (what I hope is) this injury before.

Had to get carried off like Paul Pierce and my Mom arranged an orthopedist visit for first thing in the morning based on what we thought I did.

Woke up totally fine and was back to normal within a day after thinking we were scheduling a knee surgery.

Bone collisions are terrifyingly painful and I’m sure ECs initial reaction was based on his history, not necessarily the extent of the injury.

It’s Ash Wednesday. Everyone go and pray.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: EC Injury Watch

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

yup, same BM. Hurt like hell and is scary because you cant bend the knee at all, but after a day or 2 it's like nothing happened.

After Dan's comments in the postgame press conference, I'm feeling more confident thats the case here too. Coaches aren't that optimistic to the press unless they know.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Banging your knee cap is as painful and scary as anything that can happen to you on a basketball court, but as long as you don't shatter it you can get back from it very fast.

Hopefully this thread doesn't last as long as the "EC Wrist Watch."
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Same happened to me as well in a high school JV game, Blue. Made direct contact knee to fooor. Will never forget the pain. It felt like my knee cap shattered like glass. I tried to walk off myself but fell down immediately in pain and then needed to be carried off. At the time I have never had an injury before so I figured it must be torn or broken. I didn’t think it was possible to be in more pain so figured it was the worst case scenario. Since then I have torn both my calf muscle and my meniscus and the pain from my banging my knee was twice as bad as each. I remember when I got to the hospital the doctor said he doubts it’s a tear because it would have swollen up to the size of a softball with a half hour of contact XRay and MRI both came back negative and they determined it was just a contusion. I was back at practice two days later. I’m hoping similar for EC. The way that I read into the comments yest was A) the trainer couldn’t feel a tear and B) there was no immediate swelling. So I’m optimistic and hoping for the best. If he misses St Bon then so be it. March is far more important.
Last edited by NJ03 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Prayers for EC

the kid has been thru so much

Come on EC.. please wake up today and be fine
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

First, I hope for EC that the injury was just a bruise. That URI is a better team with EC than without him is obvious to all.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thanks Blue Man...I was just about to start this thread when I noticed yours. Hoping for the best.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:yup, same BM. Hurt like hell and is scary because you cant bend the knee at all, but after a day or 2 it's like nothing happened.

After Dan's comments in the postgame press conference, I'm feeling more confident thats the case here too. Coaches aren't that optimistic to the press unless they know.
yeah i had the same feeling after seeing Dan's postgame. Usually if it is serious you won't see a coach provide to much besides saying ur typical (we're having it looked at tomorrow or having it scoped tomorrow)

DH seemed like he was relieved w/o saying "yes, EC is fine", he just was more relaxed with it sounding like it wasn't serious and not long term
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hoping for the best. EC doesn't deserve this. He has already been through so much.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Take this for what it’s worth but I am hearing “he’s all good”

:D
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

once they said nothing long term i was hoping it was just a knee bruise (I've done as many other have also) hurt for the night and maybe the next day then it goes away). The worst part is and what it looks like happened to EC is immediately after the knee tends to lock up completely
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:Take this for what it’s worth but I am hearing “he’s all good”

your lips to god's ears
3 x
---
---
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

twisted3829 wrote:once they said nothing long term i was hoping it was just a knee bruise (I've done as many other have also) hurt for the night and maybe the next day then it goes away). The worst part is and what it looks like happened to EC is immediately after the knee tends to lock up completely
I'm not counting my chickens yet but i'm very optimistic, and i agree with you. A bone bruise hurts like a bitch for that night and the next day, but after 48 hrs you are good to go. If everything checks out i actually think he plays vs Bona on Friday. Might have reduced mins kind of like Charleston and Iona, but i could see him playing. Especially if the knee feels fine tomorrow
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Pulling hard for EC... He deserves a break....definitely need him back... However without him last night hopefully was a glimpse into the future.. The defense ratchets up and the running game is higher octane... Garrett and fatts can really play d and push it on the fast break. Wish EC nothing but the best and we need him but without him at times we are better
2 x
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

Blue Man wrote:Take this for what it’s worth but I am hearing “he’s all good”

Good enough for me! Awesome news. Thanks Blue Man!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

First off, let me say, I love EC . He's the recruit that got all this started. And he's still a valuable member of this team. I think the team plays faster, moves the ball better and plays better defense when he's not in the game. Towards the end of last season he looked like the player we know he is. This year, for some reason, he hasn't. I don't know if it's mechanics, confidence, or injury related, but his shot looks all messed up, especially recently. All that being said, I hope he is ready to go on Friday, to help this team keep winning. If he ever does get back to the way he was at the end of last year, I really think we could be a Final 4 team. This post might seem like a criticism of EC. It absolutely is not. Like I said, I love the guy. This program would not be where it is now if not for him.
5 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

If the outside shot is not dropping ec is key to keeping the team on track as he is one of our better players taking guys off the dribble to the hoop.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The nice thing is is that if his minutes need to be reduced at all due to this injury, the team can take it in stride without trouble. I agree with Billyboy that E.C. has not been as impactful of a player as many thought he would this year. That's not to say he doesn't have plenty of great moments and has put the team on his back more than once - many of our guys have done the same this year. E.C. is a true asset to this team, but not so much so that we are screwed without him.

That's the beauty of the depth of this team, not any one man...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RI_Bred wrote:The nice thing is is that if his minutes need to be reduced at all due to this injury, the team can take it in stride without trouble. I agree with Billyboy that E.C. has not been as impactful of a player as many thought he would this year. That's not to say he doesn't have plenty of great moments and has put the team on his back more than once - many of our guys have done the same this year. E.C. is a true asset to this team, but not so much so that we are screwed without him.

That's the beauty of the depth of this team, not any one man...
Agree on our depth, disagree on ECs lack of impact.

Him being on the floor makes everyone else better.

Teams with length on the perimeter (Alabama) can keep us outside the 3 point line without EC to be a slash and score threat.

His shot may not be great, but his ability to get to the rim and finish is elite. His shot has also been a clutch time dagger and won us some of the biggest games in the last 2 decades of this program (Cinci, A10 champ).

EC is a HUGE loss and if we were to not have him in the NCAAT we go from an expected 2nd weekend, possible final four dark horse...to a team that could make the sweet 16.

Need him on the floor to force teams to defend all angles instead of just keying on Jared.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It bugs me that some people don't realize what EC brings to the table for this team. I heard two fans saying we are better without EC while walking out of the Ryan Center last night. Then I see a couple posts on here saying our offense and defense is better without him. I disagree.

Ask Dan how much EC would of helped against teams that matched us physically like Virginia or Bama. Remember how hard it was for Fatts and Jarvis to finish around the hoop? I can think of someone who may have helped..

I've seen a more efficient EC this year...He has done a great job of deciding when to take over or when to take a back seat.... Of course he still bothers me at times, but compared to other seasons it's an improvement

He put us on his back against Duquense. He dropped 20 in our biggest conference home game against Bonnies. He played awesome in our two biggest conference road games against VCU and Dayton.

We are at our very best with EC on the floor and anyone who doubts that will be reminded of it in March.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

4 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Like I said, it wasn't a criticism. We need him to get to where we hope to go this year. He is very good when he goes to the hoop. When he's got the good angle, that bank shot is tremendous. When smarter defenses force him more left and he has to end up having to take the little floater from the baseline, he's not as effective. Also, he does draw the defense, but he doesn't ever kick it out. Passing is just not one of his strengths. Not a criticism. It is what it is. Here are assist totals for the year for the 6 guards...
Jeff.....148
Jared....61
Jarvis...57
Stan.....45
Fatts....35
EC........14
Once again, not a criticism, just facts. And yes, he is the most important recruit in the resurgence of this program and will go down as an all time great.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Looking at the replies to this tweet, he says he heard the info from Zagoria and McNamara, but nothing on their twitters.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know: What's the timeframe/gap between "should be ok" to "playing"?
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know: What's the timeframe/gap between "should be ok" to "playing"?
Betting they sit him against Bona only
0 x
---
---
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

EC has really improved his defense this year. Our starting 5 can all cover the basket and switch on screens. With Fatts or Garrett in there, it’s a little more difficult to do that.

Plus EC being healthy allows Fatts and Garrett to come in fresh against tired first team guards or against second team guards where they can control the pace.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

None of this happens without Matthews rolling the dice on Rhody. In my mind no question one of the top 5 personalities in the history of our program.

Laid it all on the line for our Rams and continues to do so.

Count me one extremely grateful URI Alum!

Godspeed EC! Finish strong!
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote:None of this happens without Matthews rolling the dice on Rhody. In my mind no question one of the top 5 personalities in the history of our program.

Laid it all on the line for our Rams and continues to do so.

Count me one extremely grateful URI Alum!

Godspeed EC! Finish strong!
And I have said that. Totally agree.
2 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

FWIW, someone I trust said he's 50/50 for St. Bonaventure, but they may want to give him a few more days until they travel to La Salle.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If he's feeling good on Friday, we could have him dressed , ready to go and use him if we need him. If we handle the Bonnies without needing him, 3 more days to let it fully heal wouldn't hurt.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bigsnoop wrote:FWIW, someone I trust said he's 50/50 for St. Bonaventure, but they may want to give him a few more days until they travel to La Salle.
Thanks Snoop, I think the current synopsis leans towards a minor injury and not something that keeps EC out in March.
0 x
GO RAMS
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I've had a few Leg injuries in my life.

The absolute worse was when i fell awkwardly and wound up causing massive nerve damage and vascular to the point Doc thought they were sure i was going to loose the leg. Interestingly although i knew something was immediately wrong it was not immediately painful.. The pain did start almost immediately afterwards and never relented for several months despite a mega dose of Narcotics...

Thak god it did eventually relent and the wound healed.. or i assume i would be an opioid addict. OR at least, be without a leg.... or Both...

I have many other little sprains and other even lesser injuries that hurt like hell when they first happened. I hope E.C injury is in the 2nd category. IF we it was a career ender or something that likely keeps him out for more then a few games it would be pretty known by now. Also, the fact that we have make em think E.C just got in a lot of initial pain we sometimes overrate the severity of the injury, as it's very possible to have a very painful leg injury that resolves itself within the day or the next couple days., especially those with a previous serious leg injury like EC seem prone to these at times.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I did reach out to the usual suspects via twitter and received responses from:

Will Geoghegan:

and Chris DiSano:

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Fools discount what EC brings to this team.
9 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

EC brings a ton to the table both measurable (points, rebounds, etc.) and immeasurable (spacing, breathing room for JT, length, etc.)

There may be debate on who's the true alpha dog, but there should be on debate that this teams ceiling is significantly lower without Mr. Matthews - one of the most important pieces/recruits in URI history.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

This is really promising:

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

PHEW
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

"Day-to-day ... and aren't we all." -- Vin Scully
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

2 x
---
---
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I would hold him out and I am guessing Dan does if he is anything but 100%.
I think we can beat Bonnies without him, and while I love the streak and whole unbeaten thing our true test is in March and rather have a healthy EC ready for post season.
4 x
JoeCabrey
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JoeCabrey »

From Hawk Hill relieved to hear E.C.'s injury won't end his collegiate career and potentially derail the great season you have going right now. Congratulations on URI's highest ranking ever and climbing to the top of https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/2/ ... ys-gonzaga
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great news on the EC injury front

He hasn't been playing that great the last few games but obviously we are a better team with him and will need him
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BAR, I agree but it is kind of ironic (I guess?) that all five of our chances at Q1 wins we will be without EC for all or part of the game (in the case of Nevada).

I know that seeding isn't the most important thing, and I agree we can win without him on Friday, but if we end up having any what-ifs about this season they could all end up being caused by EC missing time.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote:BAR, I agree but it is kind of ironic (I guess?) that all five of our chances at Q1 wins we will be without EC for all or part of the game (in the case of Nevada).

I know that seeding isn't the most important thing, and I agree we can win without him on Friday, but if we end up having any what-ifs about this season they could all end up being caused by EC missing time.
They were all played without a healthy Cyril as well.

We see now what we were missing early on with him as well.

Two big what iffs.

Thankfully they both should be healthy for march.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seems they'll play this out conservatively. Wouldn't expect EC to be available for Bonaventure and likely not LaSalle either. There is no incentive to rush him back. Play the long game, obviously.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

So glad to hear that it isn't serious- it certainly didn't look good as he left the court last night. It also makes you think about how fragile the success of this season can be. I believe we can absorb a Matthews injury and not have too great a drop off. But I'm not sure if I can say the same if something happened to Terrell/ Langevine.
1 x