2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
User avatar
adam914
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 6102
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: San Diego, CA
x 1532

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby adam914 » 1 week ago

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:It's perfectly normal that I pulled up that play on DVR and have watched it about 100 times (so far...), right?


Don't worry, that CBS Sports video from the tweet says it has 25.8k views. Pretty sure I am 24.8k of them.
1 x
"This is who we are now. Seniors will graduate and the next guys are going to step up." - Dan Hurley - March 12, 2017

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 9434
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2917

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby TruePoint » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote:I can't stop watching that sequence. The no look touch by Fatts is amazing! Seeing those 3 together the next 2 years is going to be great!


Easy to overlook, but the key to that whole thing was Jared's lead pass to Dowtin down the right sideline. The steal bounced into Akele's hands, he hot potato'd it to Jared and he hit Jeff in stride with no hesitation at all. That pass beat Richmond down the floor and it was on.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

TruePoint wrote:
steviep123 wrote:I can't stop watching that sequence. The no look touch by Fatts is amazing! Seeing those 3 together the next 2 years is going to be great!


Easy to overlook, but the key to that whole thing was Jared's lead pass to Dowtin down the right sideline. The steal bounced into Akele's hands, he hot potato'd it to Jared and he hit Jeff in stride with no hesitation at all. That pass beat Richmond down the floor and it was on.


I couldn't agree more. The whole sequence was a thing of beauty!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8959
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1432

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Billyboy78 » 1 week ago

Frank Keaney's dream....the perfect fast bresk.
8 x

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 3 years ago
x 136

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby EGram » 1 week ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
EGram wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Many games this year have had a familiar rhythm.

Clearly, Cyril has returned to form and is our best big-man. However, Andre has more to offer as a starter than when he comes off the bench. Is Andre gaining weight? He appears slower.

My eyes tell me that Jared defers to EC and takes charge in his absence. The team seems to recognize that Jared is the alpha when EC is not there.

EC must shoot effectively from the outside in order for his penetrating game to be effective, UR let EC shoot from the outside just as Davidson did.

I think Stan can play better on both ends of the court. I'm not saying that he is playing badly, just that he is cable of playing better.

My guess is that EC will not play Friday.


I thin you said somethings many of us have felt all season fi not longer but are generally unwilling to say publicly.

E.C never became the star we wanted after his sfirst year at URI and he was getting national accolades as the a possible first round NBA pick.

He has some issues where his shooting can be absolutely awful for long periods, and others where he is just totally anonymous. 5 years into his college career he still hits the front end/airball on many contested shots and even many untested..

He's not an elite defender like our other starting other starting guards. At best he is the 3rd best shooting guard on the team. A loss of Terrel or Robinson would hurt the team far, far more, and have a much greater chance of prematurely ending a chance at a great NCCA tournament win, or final four tourney run.

Lastly i'm not trying t shit on E.C. He came and believed in Hurley/URI basically based on faith and a bond with Hurley... he has also won us many a game over the years also. Those are not accomplishments to piss on and were critical in building the program.

But we need to consider the man All, in All, and take him as he was. The truth was he has never been the elite a_10 player we hoped he would be,. Much less an NBA draft prospect. Still, the team is generally better off with him and i hope he returns fast.


Unfortunately the story of EC's URI career has a giant asterisk...the knee

Was a break out star as a freshman and followed it up with an even better sophomore year:

16.9/4.6/2.0 on solid shooting. And helped carry that 2014-15 team to a 2nd place regular season and 1 win from making the tournament.

Blowing his knee out in game 1 killed his development. Instead of getting to build off of a great 1st 2 years, he had to go back to square one.

It's commonly accepted that most athletes are not back to pre injury levels until a year after coming back. Last year you could tell he was relearning the game and working on getting back to his old level. If he wasnt injured he would've instead been working on taking his game to the next level.

Much like Dawan Robinson, a blown out knee turned "what was" into "what couldve been".


This is true, but his tendency to hang out around the perimeter and 3 point line doing nothing productive without the ball? Or his tother tenddency to often undershoot the basket repeatedly? (how many airbals or off-the-front-rim misses does he have this year? I would not be surprised if it's a record for a D1 player.) His tenedency to make some realy awful plays witt he ball in his hands at the end of games they that are high pressure and close?

The injury surely is a major factor and probably by far the biggest factor. But i have to beleive it's nto the only reason he has essentially stuted hsi development since the end of his Frosh year.
0 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

EGram wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
EGram wrote:
I thin you said somethings many of us have felt all season fi not longer but are generally unwilling to say publicly.

E.C never became the star we wanted after his sfirst year at URI and he was getting national accolades as the a possible first round NBA pick.

He has some issues where his shooting can be absolutely awful for long periods, and others where he is just totally anonymous. 5 years into his college career he still hits the front end/airball on many contested shots and even many untested..

He's not an elite defender like our other starting other starting guards. At best he is the 3rd best shooting guard on the team. A loss of Terrel or Robinson would hurt the team far, far more, and have a much greater chance of prematurely ending a chance at a great NCCA tournament win, or final four tourney run.

Lastly i'm not trying t shit on E.C. He came and believed in Hurley/URI basically based on faith and a bond with Hurley... he has also won us many a game over the years also. Those are not accomplishments to piss on and were critical in building the program.

But we need to consider the man All, in All, and take him as he was. The truth was he has never been the elite a_10 player we hoped he would be,. Much less an NBA draft prospect. Still, the team is generally better off with him and i hope he returns fast.


Unfortunately the story of EC's URI career has a giant asterisk...the knee

Was a break out star as a freshman and followed it up with an even better sophomore year:

16.9/4.6/2.0 on solid shooting. And helped carry that 2014-15 team to a 2nd place regular season and 1 win from making the tournament.

Blowing his knee out in game 1 killed his development. Instead of getting to build off of a great 1st 2 years, he had to go back to square one.

It's commonly accepted that most athletes are not back to pre injury levels until a year after coming back. Last year you could tell he was relearning the game and working on getting back to his old level. If he wasnt injured he would've instead been working on taking his game to the next level.

Much like Dawan Robinson, a blown out knee turned "what was" into "what couldve been".


This is true, but his tendency to hang out around the perimeter and 3 point line doing nothing productive without the ball? Or his tother tenddency to often undershoot the basket repeatedly? (how many airbals or off-the-front-rim misses does he have this year? I would not be surprised if it's a record for a D1 player.) His tenedency to make some realy awful plays witt he ball in his hands at the end of games they that are high pressure and close?

The injury surely is a major factor and probably by far the biggest factor. But i have to beleive it's nto the only reason he has essentially stuted hsi development since the end of his Frosh year.


I think his tendency to hang out around the 3 point line is by design. Notice the other guards are all at various points outside the line.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2744
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2375

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Blue Man » 1 week ago

When you say giant asterisk, do you take into account he is most likely going to be #2 all time in scoring here?

A deep run and he will be in the rarefied air of only a few players who will have meant as much to the Keaney Blue.
4 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1054
Joined: 3 years ago
x 1036

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 week ago

Blue Man wrote:When you say giant asterisk, do you take into account he is most likely going to be #2 all time in scoring here?

A deep run and he will be in the rarefied air of only a few players who will have meant as much to the Keaney Blue.


the asterisk is for what could've been, not as an excuse for what he didnt do.

If anything, the heights he has reached even with the injuries makes the 'what ifs' even bigger in the sense of could we be talking about things now like a Wooden Award or lottery pick.

example: If he doesn't break his wrist, he almost certainly passes Silk for #1 all time scorer...or if not for the knee injury, we are talking about a 3rd straight Tourney and potentially a 3rd straight A10 title this year.

As great as he is, without the knee injury he could've been even greater.
2 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

User avatar
Da_Process_Survivor
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1054
Joined: 3 years ago
x 1036

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Da_Process_Survivor » 1 week ago

steviep123 wrote:
EGram wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Unfortunately the story of EC's URI career has a giant asterisk...the knee

Was a break out star as a freshman and followed it up with an even better sophomore year:

16.9/4.6/2.0 on solid shooting. And helped carry that 2014-15 team to a 2nd place regular season and 1 win from making the tournament.

Blowing his knee out in game 1 killed his development. Instead of getting to build off of a great 1st 2 years, he had to go back to square one.

It's commonly accepted that most athletes are not back to pre injury levels until a year after coming back. Last year you could tell he was relearning the game and working on getting back to his old level. If he wasnt injured he would've instead been working on taking his game to the next level.

Much like Dawan Robinson, a blown out knee turned "what was" into "what couldve been".


This is true, but his tendency to hang out around the perimeter and 3 point line doing nothing productive without the ball? Or his tother tenddency to often undershoot the basket repeatedly? (how many airbals or off-the-front-rim misses does he have this year? I would not be surprised if it's a record for a D1 player.) His tenedency to make some realy awful plays witt he ball in his hands at the end of games they that are high pressure and close?

The injury surely is a major factor and probably by far the biggest factor. But i have to beleive it's nto the only reason he has essentially stuted hsi development since the end of his Frosh year.


I think his tendency to hang out around the 3 point line is by design. Notice the other guards are all at various points outside the line.


he doesn't do it any more than the other guards, and by design. this isnt a cutting offense. It is a guards get the ball up top and slash.
1 x
---
The ghosts have been exorcized! Praise be to Hurley
---

User avatar
Blue Man
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2744
Joined: 5 years ago
x 2375

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Blue Man » 1 week ago

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:When you say giant asterisk, do you take into account he is most likely going to be #2 all time in scoring here?

A deep run and he will be in the rarefied air of only a few players who will have meant as much to the Keaney Blue.


the asterisk is for what could've been, not as an excuse for what he didnt do.

If anything, the heights he has reached even with the injuries makes the 'what ifs' even bigger in the sense of could we be talking about things now like a Wooden Award or lottery pick.

example: If he doesn't break his wrist, he almost certainly passes Silk for #1 all time scorer...or if not for the knee injury, we are talking about a 3rd straight Tourney and potentially a 3rd straight A10 title this year.

As great as he is, without the knee injury he could've been even greater.


OK agreed with that. Same thing with Hass.
3 x
Rhode Island Born
Rhode Island Bred
this team will give me heart attacks
til I'm Rhode Island dead.

User avatar
rhodysurf
Jimmy Baron
Posts: 482
Joined: 3 years ago
Location: Wakefield
x 312

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby rhodysurf » 1 week ago

Game Replay (finally)

4 x

Billyboy78
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8959
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1432

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Billyboy78 » 1 week ago

Do you know that Hass ended up #1 in FG% in school history?
1 x

EGram
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 3 years ago
x 136

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby EGram » 1 week ago

whomever is posting these game replays is doing gods work.
3 x

User avatar
steviep123
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1235
Joined: 5 years ago
x 357

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby steviep123 » 1 week ago

This:



Frank Keaney would be extremely proud.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

User avatar
wpbrown8267
Jeff Kent
Posts: 186
Joined: 10 months ago
x 121

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby wpbrown8267 » 1 week ago

EGram wrote:whomever is posting these game replays is doing gods work.


that's rhodysurf, he's technical genius

also if you click on his game replay link he has when he posts it takes you to a google docs page with more game replays from years past
2 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3149
Joined: 5 years ago
x 598

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Postby Seawrightspostgame » 1 week ago

Billyboy78 wrote:Do you know that Hass ended up #1 in FG% in school history?


Haha wow.

He was great 3 years. But man, he was dominant his senior year like few others.
0 x


Return to “NCAAs or Bust!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Da_Process_Survivor, ElmCityRhody, ramster, RF1, Rhodymob05, RhodyRam86, rhodysurf, RhowdyRam02, sf2010, steviep123, thatRamBand, urirx and 53 guests