2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: 2/13 | Richmond Spiders | 8:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Rhody74 »

For us, it’s become superstitious ... that they’ll lose if we’re not there wearing our lucky sweatshirt and sweater. Yeah, we’re nuts, but that’s what fans are.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster - I think you're right. For the majority of fans, it isn't a problem, it's just different. Neil is right also: if you can go, you should go.

None of that contradicts the idea that for some people, the late start does pose a problem and they legitimately cannot go to a game at that time. I don't have any idea how many people that is, but I'm just trying to get ahead of the shitty takes of people being bent out of shape if the game doesn't sell out. You have to live in the real world. What the URI basketball team is doing this year is historic and it is hugely important in my life and in the lives of most people who post here. But if you've got little kids, or you have a weird work schedule, or your significant other has to work at 5am or whatever the case may be, you aren't a bad fan if you cannot go to one game. Not everyone can be retired or single and living alone or have kids that are grown - this is not something that ever would have dawned on me, either, just a couple of years ago. But it's true.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Ramtastico wrote:No excuses. Pathetic that posters are bitching about late starts, etc. Put your big boy pants on and go. When I lived in RI I went to Amherst for a game, drove back and made a sales presentation the next AM in Providence. Road trips to Fordham and on conference calls the next day at 9. Drove to St. Joe’s, almost get arrested, eat a cheesesteak at 11 and drive home(ok no meeting that morning).
Toughen your kids up and take them. Some of my son’s best memories were road trips and late games. We are a top 20 team and can’t fill a little over 7000 seats? You bitch and moaners don’t deserve this team. Small time whining thinkers. I would give anything to be able to see these games in person.
We are in dreamland and you all are crying about an 8:30 start? “Think Small, We Do”
When Dan leaves you will be moaning and wondering why. Fill the damn Ryan Center, bitches.
Reading comprehension must be rocket science for some around here.

No one here said they aren't going because of the start. Just pointing out that the start time will keep families away being a school night.

But you and blue man are gonna start a circle jerk so have at it
You are obsessed with circle jerk and nuts talk.

Thanks for standing up and defending this program and board though! Someone needs to step up and combat the people who would call for the coach to get fired, say the team couldn’t even win with Hurley at the helm, hope the team loses a game to “wake them up”, start threads condemning the coach...
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

It's called the ignore button Blue Man...i can draw you instructions in crayon if you can't figure out how it works.

On topic...this feels like a similar crowd to the pink out storm game against Richmond a decade ago where classes were cancelled and they let 3k students in
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TruePoint wrote:ramster - I think you're right. For the majority of fans, it isn't a problem, it's just different. Neil is right also: if you can go, you should go.

None of that contradicts the idea that for some people, the late start does pose a problem and they legitimately cannot go to a game at that time. I don't have any idea how many people that is, but I'm just trying to get ahead of the shitty takes of people being bent out of shape if the game doesn't sell out. You have to live in the real world. What the URI basketball team is doing this year is historic and it is hugely important in my life and in the lives of most people who post here. But if you've got little kids, or you have a weird work schedule, or your significant other has to work at 5am or whatever the case may be, you aren't a bad fan if you cannot go to one game. Not everyone can be retired or single and living alone or have kids that are grown - this is not something that ever would have dawned on me, either, just a couple of years ago. But it's true.
A shitty take because some are upset the place isn't selling out when the team is Top 20 in the country on a 15 game winning streak? This is why we can't have good things.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If they don't sell out a game that is played at a normal time I'll be right there with you. If you refuse to take circumstances into account, then yes that is a shitty take.

Look, I'm hopeful that the students step up and sell the place out. They truly have no excuse not to be there. But if you looked around at the game on Friday, I guarantee you could find a family of people in the row in front of you or behind you that you could easily identify as people who will NOT be at an 8:30 game on a weeknight. I don't know how this can be a controversial take.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:It's called the ignore button Blue Man...i can draw you instructions in crayon if you can't figure out how it works.

On topic...this feels like a similar crowd to the pink out storm game against Richmond a decade ago where classes were cancelled and they let 3k students in
I don’t know how I could go on living if I miss your Baron 3.0 thread though.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Like clockwork...get a life bud. Get over your obsession of acting like king shit on an internet message board.
2 x
---
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:If they don't sell out a game that is played at a normal time I'll be right there with you. If you refuse to take circumstances into account, then yes that is a shitty take.

Look, I'm hopeful that the students step up and sell the place out. They truly have no excuse not to be there. But if you looked around at the game on Friday, I guarantee you could find a family of people in the row in front of you or behind you that you could easily identify as people who will NOT be at an 8:30 game on a weeknight. I don't know how this can be a controversial take.
I guess that is the downfall of making it a "family" environment. Time to change that narrative and make it a place that basketball fans want to be at.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

My opinion is that you need those families, honestly. You need their 4 or 5 tickets per pop if you want to sell out the building, and you develop generations of fans that way. That it could cost you 800 seats the one time per decade that you play an 8:30 home game, I think that's something you have to live with.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Where is URI21? What's the temperature on students on this game?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Is Richmond a "trap" game??
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

Waaaa Waaaa stop crying thin skinned bitch. Worst post ever? I guess you don’t count yours. BTW, I’ve been to 5 away and 3 home games from Atlanta, and I don’t live alone, not retired, or any other thing that you mention! I very seldom pay attention to the authors of posts but I always read posts about excuses for bad attendance because of times, weeknights, conflicts with football games, weather, etc. My point is we are in the best position ever and these games barely sell out. Unless people were in beer lines, the Davidson game, listed as sold out had tons of empty seats in back of the score table and the south (URI) baseline from TV. I spoke to people that were there and they saw lots of empties too. What’s up with that?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I have a solution to the non-sellout....just keep yelling at everyone on the board that thinks it won't sell out.
Even though everyone you're yelling at is probably going to the game, they are also probably the reason it won't sell out.

I guess if you say that someone might not go because of ________ - that makes you part of the problem.

THIS is why we really need that face-palm emoji.....
4 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Take a look at attendance for late games 8:30/9:00 local time compared to regular start times 7:00/7:30 nationally. The average attendance is lower for late games.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:Take a look at attendance for late games 8:30/9:00 local time compared to regular start times 7:00/7:30 nationally. The average attendance is lower for late games.
What are you thinking???? We can't let facts interfere with the story here....
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramtastico wrote:Waaaa Waaaa stop crying thin skinned bitch. Worst post ever? I guess you don’t count yours. BTW, I’ve been to 5 away and 3 home games from Atlanta, and I don’t live alone, not retired, or any other thing that you mention! I very seldom pay attention to the authors of posts but I always read posts about excuses for bad attendance because of times, weeknights, conflicts with football games, weather, etc. My point is we are in the best position ever and these games barely sell out. Unless people were in beer lines, the Davidson game, listed as sold out had tons of empty seats in back of the score table and the south (URI) baseline from TV. I spoke to people that were there and they saw lots of empties too. What’s up with that?
Nobody cares what games you have been to? How old are you 10.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......just saw a promo for the game on the PGA coverage.......nice
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:just keep yelling at everyone on the board that thinks it won't sell out.
, they are also probably the reason it won't sell out.
YUP!!!!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:Take a look at attendance for late games 8:30/9:00 local time compared to regular start times 7:00/7:30 nationally. The average attendance is lower for late games.
Yeah, we're just bad fans.

Now go flog yourself and say 10 Hail Hurleys for being blasphemous.

Really though, I hope the athletic dept emails students on Tuesday saying all unsold tix are available to them
1 x
---
---
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Man, this thread has degenerated. Lol.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Suggestion...take a page from the Creighton playbook...

https://www.letmebfrankblog.com/2018/01 ... eer-night/

It was the second dollar beer night of the season, coming just 10 days after the first one on New Years Eve against Providence. Interestingly enough, a foolproof way to combat a notoriously late-arriving crowd is to offer unlimited booze for a buck beginning an hour and a half before tip-off. As many students figured out, the two beers at a time that they sold you could be stashed under a seat for later. A quick walk up the stairs, and they were back in line again. This made for a raucous crowd...
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reckless jake wrote:Man, this thread has degenerated. Lol.
gonna stay that way until it's sold out.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Really though, I hope the athletic dept emails students on Tuesday saying all unsold tix are available to them
Really though...we should have a 'grumpiest poster' award....
Never called anyone a bad fan...i just think it's stupid (my opinion) to yell at people - that are going to the game - because it isn't a sell out.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

A lot of Ram on Ram crime in here. Now that the trolls are gone I guess that’s all that is left.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

They should probably be getting the word out now. I know they don't want to give away tickets that they could sell, but they must have metrics that will ballpark what their sales will be based on what they have sold at this point.

I think the point ramtastico and blueram and others are missing is that nobody is saying that people shouldn't go to the game. Of course you should go if you can. Speaking only for myself here, all I'm doing is making what I think is an unobjectionable observation that some portion of the population that usually attends games may find it difficult to go to a game that starts late, for a variety of reasons. If you do not like that fact, that's up to you. But it's like being mad about the sun rising in the east. No matter how mad you are, there isn't anything you can do about it.

There is a particular strain of ignorance that permeates all areas of life that is on display here: this idea that if something is not a problem for you then you can't possibly imagine how it could be a problem for anyone else. Let's keep some perspective here. There is all this anger and hot takes in response to people simply acknowledging the truism that less people can go to a game that starts at 8:30 than one that starts at 7:00.
3 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Really though...we should have a 'grumpiest poster' award....
Never called anyone a bad fan...i just think it's stupid (my opinion) to yell at people - that are going to the game - because it isn't a sell out.
never said you did call anyone a bad fan...was agreeing with you and adding sarcasm for the folks you quoted
0 x
---
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Does anyone know if Buckingham will play? He was out for SBU game and has missed other games. Has he violated Mooney's team rules?? Thanks for any insight on this.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote:Does anyone know if Buckingham will play? He was out for SBU game and has missed other games. Has he violated Mooney's team rules?? Thanks for any insight on this.
Nice, back to the game itself

He sat out 3 games ago versus George Mason for disciplinary reasons per Chris Mooney. He played versus VCU the next game, coming out due to dehydration and leg cramps. Then he did not play against St Bonaventure for the same reason he came out versus VCU. I am not sure if he plays Tuesday night but is was a very promising player last year as a Freshman.

This was from an article in the Richmond Times-Dispatch regarding the George Mason Game.......
The Spiders (8-14, 6-4 A-10), who had won five straight, played without sophomore De’Monte Buckingham (12.6 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.4 apg), a starter from Henrico High who served a one-game suspension for a violation of team rules. Starting in place of the 6-foot-4 Buckingham was 6-7 freshman Nathan Cayo.
“Of course it has an effect, it has an impact on us,” UR coach Chris Mooney said of Buckingham’s absence. “He’s a great player for us. We need to be at full strength, for sure. When we’re not, it’s going to have a impact, and especially with De’Monte, with how much he does for us.”

Below are articles from the VCU Game when Buckingham came out due to severe cramping and was hospitalized overnight and from St Bonaventure Saturday when he did not play.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 963fd.html

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... be5c4.html
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

They should probably be getting the word out now. I know they don't want to give away tickets that they could sell, but they must have metrics that will ballpark what their sales will be based on what they have sold at this point.

I think the point ramtastico and blueram and others are missing is that nobody is saying that people shouldn't go to the game. Of course you should go if you can. Speaking only for myself here, all I'm doing is making what I think is an unobjectionable observation that some portion of the population that usually attends games may find it difficult to go to a game that starts late, for a variety of reasons. If you do not like that fact, that's up to you. But it's like being mad about the sun rising in the east. No matter how mad you are, there isn't anything you can do about it.

There is a particular strain of ignorance that permeates all areas of life that is on display here: this idea that if something is not a problem for you then you can't possibly imagine how it could be a problem for anyone else. Let's keep some perspective here. There is all this anger and hot takes in response to people simply acknowledging the truism that less people can go to a game that starts at 8:30 than one that starts at 7:00.
I guess that's your take then. But don't come on and gripe about attendance anymore then. If the #18 team in the nation, on a 15 game winning streak can't sell out a game, then our fanbase has issues.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I guess that's your take then. But don't come on and gripe about attendance anymore then. If the #18 team in the nation, on a 15 game winning streak can't sell out a game, then our fanbase has issues.
This is going to be the most people who have ever shown up to see a URI game in a season. While students were away on break, the rest of the fan base carried the torch and kept the season numbers strong. Now for one night, my prediction is that the students will have to pick up the slack. I think they can do it. I just believe it is not right to criticize (hypothetical) people who legitimately cannot go to one game strictly because of the time that it is played. And to the extent you want to motivate people to go to the game by telling them they're not good fans, I think you're barking up the wrong tree doing that here.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So are we talking hoops again or still playing Keyboard Warriors? Because I hate that f##king game.
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote:A lot of Ram on Ram crime in here. Now that the trolls are gone I guess that’s all that is left.
What would Rod say?
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Some people can't comprehend that not everyone lives and breathes rhody basketball. I think a person's "fan card" isn't revoked if they can't make a game that starts late because of work/kids

If you can make the basketball game without it hurting your personal life then go, if not no worries

Such a stupid debate
13 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's not like we re trying to fill the Dunk. The arena only holds 7,000 people.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I disagree that our fanbase has issues. Our fanbase has shown great support this year. Dan and the players have been outspoken about that. We all support the team the best way we can. We all love this team. Let’s stay positive. I believe the avg attendance this year at the RC will break an all time record. We are all on the same “team”. Let’s get along.

I think we should stop tell other posters what they can and can’t do. Enjoy the ride. Go Rhody!
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

All I was saying is if this game doesn't sell out, I don't want to hear a bitch about attendance anymore.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

They should then collect up all the bears, put one on every empty seat, and count them in the attendance. :lol:

And, if I do sit next to a bear, I want him to have this kinda spunk:

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This thread is annoying me. Let’s all listen to Jarvis again! He’s getting a lot of positive attention from this, which is very deserved.

12 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree, have seen a few different amateur coaches call out Jarvis's interview as what you are striving for in terms of team and culture.
6 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

When you looked at Davidson stats, you saw a different picture on shooting percentages, turnover rate between the losses/close games versus the wins. With Richmond you get no clearcut dichotomy in the stats between the wins and losses. What does show up is that Richmond has been out rebounded in most of their games. They also tend to turn the ball over, totaling, more often than not, in double digits. Expect them to put up about 20+ three point attempts.

This is not a deep team and the five starters get PT in the 30+ minutes range. With a few exceptions, points from the bench have been in single digits. Richmond's OOC SOS is in the upper half of the conference which may partly account for their dismal 2-9 record. If there is a trend, it is Richmond's young team has shown improved play in conference as opposed to the early season. Their sweep of the home and home series with Davidson and VCU is evidence of that!

Again, URI would be helped with a fast start and not allow Richmond to run off points on three point attempts. This is another chance for URI to use its depth to tire a young and not deep opponent.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would think the crowd would still be over 6k which is still solid
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Headed to Florida.....last year we won our games while I was there.....good luck charm lol?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. Got my teddy bears, too.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rambone 78 wrote:Headed to Florida.....last year we won our games while I was there.....good luck charm lol?
I hope so, are you there through Friday? getting a W in Olean is huge!
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Headed to Florida.....last year we won our games while I was there.....good luck charm lol?
I hope so, are you there through Friday? getting a W in Olean is huge!
Sorry, first lets get a W tomorrow night, then Friday
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I know there was a sign on the union Friday night advertising the Richmond game to students. Not sure what else they're doing.

Next year the state needs to coordinate the school vacation week with our schedule, then families going wouldn't be an issue
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Time to hack into our competitors email lists - show proof you're a Brown, PC, UConn, Bryant, or Boston College season ticket holder and get 50% off tickets for the remainder of the year and 10% off season tickets in 2018-2019. Top team in New England. Market that and start stealing the fringe fans of other programs.
1 x