2/9 | Davidson Wildcats | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/9 | Davidson Wildcats | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by adam914 »

Easy to forget how good of a shooter Jarvis was before he got hurt/sick a couple years back. So much fun to see him playing healthy again.
10 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

adam914 wrote:Easy to forget how good of a shooter Jarvis was before he got hurt/sick a couple years back. So much fun to see him playing healthy again.
.......Rod loved him......
7 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

FInal Score

URI 72, Davidson 59

Jarvis Garrett had 17 second-half points for Rhode Island.

Cyril Langevine scored a career-high 14 points (and pulled down eight rebounds).
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Before anyone asks, Richmond will be up tomorrow. You thirsty, thirsty people.
13 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhode Island is becoming a very dangerous NCAA D1 team.

Great coaching and execution tonight. San Antonio talk by Plansky? Yikes....

Go Rhody!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......from my TV seat tonite......every view, the seats filled, the floor, great national views.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Story of this game for URI:

DEPTH
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

So proud

Keep it going RHODY
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

What a defensive clinic. Holding them to 59 pts?? Only 4 made 3s after they hit TWENTY in their last game??? So good.

Speaking of good - Kellan Grady was awesome for them. We recruited him, no?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
0 x
collegehoopsjunky

Unread post by collegehoopsjunky »

Impressive win. Loved loved that interview with Jarvis Garrett after the game. Unselfish and focused. A real winner.

This team just looks so legit with CL playing at this level.

Don't drink the Kool Aide like Hurley pretty much referred to after the game.

Playing for seeding in the EAST.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

20-3. 20-3!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Rhode Island is becoming a very dangerous NCAA D1 team.

Great coaching and execution tonight. San Antonio talk by Plansky? Yikes....

Go Rhody!
When I came home and flipped on the DVR...I thought I heard that and had to get the rest of the family together for multiple re-winds...just to be sure I heard what I thought I heard....
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

2 x
Common sense is not common.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Do you know how to post videos to Facebook? I would love to see that!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My only complaint, as a 65-year-old male, is I want Bob McKillop's hair.

https://www.davidson.edu/Images/News/Co ... p14-sm.jpg
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Just another incredible ESPN performance by our Rams.

2 beyond random questions/observations:

1. How have two students in the Ruckus not come to the games yet dressed as Batman and Batman? Considering the amount that ESPN commentators mention and gravitate towards that nickname I think it would be great national exposure to promote an already exciting atmosphere. Maybe this has already happened just not shown on camera yet, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.
2. Does anyone know where I can purchase the "RHODY" sweatshirt that Bob Hurley Sr wears to games? Been searching on fanatics, bookstore on line, ramzone on line and can't find any gear with "RHODY" on the front. I figure its something that's exclusively sold on campus or the RC and not available on line. If so, I would be willing to make a paypal/venmo purchase and send deal with someone on KeaneyBlue if willing. Would probably purchase a shirt for whoever is willing as well.

I told you they were random, but what can you say about this team that hasn't already been said? Think I just did it.

20-3. Keep the party going!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is amazing...

3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Pretty dominant win from start to finish. Our athleticism on full display tonight ... Davidson just not athletic enough to create the # of threes they need to beat us.... Fatts, Jarvis and Cyril outscore starters 41-31.. That's depth.....
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Another excellent performance tonight! 41 points off the bench, Jarvis, Cyril and Fatts were outstanding. Great atmosphere; it was great to be there! We are playing to a real high level right now; it's great to be here for it!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

How can anyone have an issue with tonight's performance? Not even Hurley could come up with a single negative when asked in the presser. I am starting to get very used to winning and I am liking it very much. I feel like I am in a dream. Pinch me to remind me it is all real.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Oh, I like this. Clarke has now been at two of the best atmosphere games. It's still 3 years away, but if we ever got him.....wow!
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

RF1 wrote:How can anyone have an issue with tonight's performance? Not even Hurley could come up with a single negative when asked in the presser. I am starting to get very used to winning and I am liking it very much. I feel like I am in a dream. Pinch me to remind me it is all real.
In all the interviews of DH tonight, he couldn't stop smiling and being happy. To have the stars not perform and win in this manner against the 2nd place team in the A10.... Things I couldn't of even dreamed of 7 or 8 years ago
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks to me like Jarvis is all the way back. He could be huge for us down the stretch and in the tourney. Not just his great shooting, but being a pain in the ass all over the court on defense. When Jarvis and Fatts play together and hound the opposing guards for 96 feet, it's a beautiful thing to watch. I wonder if Kellan Grady wonders if he should have come here now. We were after him pretty hard for a while. He's going to be a hell of a player. But I'm happy we got Fatts. Cyril using that strong body and just going up and dunking on people. And that block, wow! I haven't been this excited to drive to URI in a long time. The anticipation kills me. Long days at work waiting and waiting. Sounds like a complaint. No, it's a great feeling. Only 4 days 'til the next one!
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhody74 wrote:My only complaint, as a 65-year-old male, is I want Bob McKillop's hair.

https://www.davidson.edu/Images/News/Co ... p14-sm.jpg
You do realize that his hair is the follicle version of Astroturf, right?
Last edited by PeteRI 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It would've gotten so ugly if JT and EC hit shots.

Didn't get to see much at work because i was bizzay.

Our depth is insane.

Most deep team we've ever had maybe.

We are just so much better than the rest of the A-10 it's crazy.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

section(105) wrote:
adam914 wrote:Easy to forget how good of a shooter Jarvis was before he got hurt/sick a couple years back. So much fun to see him playing healthy again.
He wasn't the only one, though I fully comprehend why Jeff is the starting floor general. I still trust Jarvis' shooting more.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
section(105) wrote:
He wasn't the only one, though I fully comprehend why Jeff is the starting floor general. I still trust Jarvis' shooting more.
I've loved him since I went to watch him at ND prep because I knew we were recruiting him. So glad to see he looks 100% healthy again.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

"...we gotta bunch of dogs that get after people..." Hurls on ESPN post game....love that....
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:This is amazing...

While it was awesome, #22 is going into his move like Eric Montross practicing a post move with no one else in the gym! What is that guy thinking? :lol: :lol:
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Another one bites the dust!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Alexis was at the game tonight sitting first row being the URI Bench. He came in with and sat with Terrance Clark. Couple of outstanding 2021 players. Both are easily their listed heights. Both were very interested in the game and what a great exhibition URI put on and great attendance and fan enthusiasm to boot.
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote:

While it was awesome, #22 is going into his move like Eric Montross practicing a post move with no one else in the gym! What is that guy thinking? :lol: :lol:
Just love the energy that Cyril brings...he plays D below the foul line, the same way the guards do full court and on the perimeter...GREAT stuff...
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Billyboy78 wrote:Looks to me like Jarvis is all the way back. He could be huge for us down the stretch and in the tourney. Not just his great shooting, but being a pain in the ass all over the court on defense.
As Jarvis himself will tell you - he’s a problem!
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

we are now 1 game away from going a calendar year without losing an A10 game.

Fordham disaster was 2/15/17, our only game left before 2/15 is Richmond
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
rhodyruckus wrote:

Just love the energy that Cyril brings...he plays D below the foul line, the same way the guards do full court and on the perimeter...GREAT stuff...
Just the fact Cyril hustled so far and was in position just in case the guy took awhile or fumbled the pass is great.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In the end I don't think it would have mattered, but how did McKillop go the first 18 plus minutes in the second half without calling a time out. And if you didn't bother to that point, why call one inside two minutes down 15
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

Alexis was at the game tonight sitting first row being the URI Bench. He came in with and sat with Terrance Clark. Couple of outstanding 2021 players. Both are easily their listed heights. Both were very interested in the game and what a great exhibition URI put on and great attendance and fan enthusiasm to boot.
I guess this can be moved to the recruiting section. Anyway, at NPSI last week, I was sitting right behind Todd Quarles, the Expressions coach. He was talking about Dan and when he was recruiting Jared. He said Dan told him what plans he had for Jared and what kind of player Dan would make him. Quarles said Dan has done exactly what he said he would do with Jared. He's very impressed with Dan. Our connection with Expressions is getting very strong, with Ty and now Quarles. I don't think it's outrageous to think we might have a shot at Terrance Clarke. He could end up being the highest rated player to come here since Lamar. Expressions is really loading up again since losing Jared and Abu 4 years ago. What a great connection to have now.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:In the end I don't think it would have mattered, but how did McKillop go the first 18 plus minutes in the second half without calling a time out. And if you didn't bother to that point, why call one inside two minutes down 15

RR2,
I found it strange that with less than a minute to go and McKillop had made some substitutions, including taking out Peyton Aldridge, he pressed full court and tended to surprise Dowtin who was struggling to throw the ball in and then Dowtin called a timeout to prevent the 5 second call. Just seemed odd that he would press there with the game most definitely over, and had been for a long time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:

I guess this can be moved to the recruiting section. Anyway, at NPSI last week, I was sitting right behind Todd Quarles, the Expressions coach. He was talking about Dan and when he was recruiting Jared. He said Dan told him what plans he had for Jared and what kind of player Dan would make him. Quarles said Dan has done exactly what he said he would do with Jared. He's very impressed with Dan. Our connection with Expressions is getting very strong, with Ty and now Quarles. I don't think it's outrageous to think we might have a shot at Terrance Clarke. He could end up being the highest rated player to come here since Lamar. Expressions is really loading up again since losing Jared and Abu 4 years ago. What a great connection to have now.
Billyboy,
I already created a listing for Alexis Reyes in the recruiting section since we offered him today. Also I think it is fine to have in the Davidson thread as well since he attended tonight's game along with Terrance Clark.
Great to have these two players attend tonight's game. The atmosphere, the Coaching clinic put on by Dan Hurley, the enthusiasm of the players and the crowd was electric. Can't imagine a better Basketball Arena or environment in New England in which for these two guys to continue their education and basketball careers.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Looks to me like Jarvis is all the way back. He could be huge for us down the stretch and in the tourney. Not just his great shooting, but being a pain in the ass all over the court on defense. When Jarvis and Fatts play together and hound the opposing guards for 96 feet, it's a beautiful thing to watch. I wonder if Kellan Grady wonders if he should have come here now. We were after him pretty hard for a while. He's going to be a hell of a player. But I'm happy we got Fatts. Cyril using that strong body and just going up and dunking on people. And that block, wow! I haven't been this excited to drive to URI in a long time. The anticipation kills me. Long days at work waiting and waiting. Sounds like a complaint. No, it's a great feeling. Only 4 days 'til the next one!
I found myself watching Garrett's defense tonight with admiration. He was step for step with his defense all night long and I never say his man beat him. He was certainly hot with the 3 ball tonight and received some nice passes when open.

Funny how in the past we have talked about point guards and who the better PG was etc, and now we see Dan Hurley with 3 PGs in the game at the same time for a long period of time. Dowtin, Garrett and Russell all in together and playing very effectively together. And tonight was not the first time Hurley has player all 3 PGs together.

I found myself tonight thinking you could make an argument as to who the best player on the team was and you could argue about 5-7 different players - I mean the team is that deep. As Garrett showed tonight, his defense was awesome, his passing solid, ball handling good and his 3 point shooting amazing. Is it possible our 2nd team could be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the A10? It's pretty amazing.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Notes:
- Crowd was great. Students were loud and energetic but so was the entire building. Still would like to see gates open 90 minutes early with these sold out crowds
- Stan Robinson did a number on Peyton Aldridge, just took him out of the game offensively and on the boards.
- Stan is such a good defensive player and rebounder but he also keeps a coolness about him that exudes confidence. He passes well and shoots the ball well. Easy to see why Hurley refers to Stan and the MVP.
- Sometimes Robinson switched off and I saw Langevine once on Aldridge, Berry once and Garrett a couple of times. Aldridge seemed confused and struggled for points tonight. Great defensive game plan from Dan Hurley
- Langevine was immense. Just amazing how strong he is rebounding, His offense looked the best I have seen. It was his night including the FT he banked in - I think he called the bank.
- Jeff Dowtin played well but he was upset with himself with his turnovers tonight. He absolutely hates to have a Turnover.
- Terrell with zero first half points and we still go into the half with a nice lead - says a lot about our depth
- Russell continues to gain confidence. When Russell, Garrett and Dowtin in the game together it seemed to frustrate Davidson. Love seeing 3 Point Guards working so well together - and looking to set one another up for the open 3 point shot.
- High Level 2021 recruits from Expressions Elite at the game - and what a great game and atmosphere for them to experience live
- Terrell and Mathews not having their best games, yet, URI handled Davidson with relative ease.
- Imagine what this team is capable of when all 8-9 players are hitting on all cylinders.
- The talent and the depth of talent on this team amazes
- I thought this game would be much tougher than it was.
- Richmond next
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice game summary....

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a nice video Stan made of the team in the locker room. These guys love each other

This team is so fun to watch and well coached

We could have a special March
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Student section chanted "Rusty" repeatably for the sole reason of making fun of his name... Are we assholes? Maybe...
2 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

NJ03 wrote:Does anyone know where I can purchase the "RHODY" sweatshirt that Bob Hurley Sr wears to games?
The screenshot below is the get-up worn by Coach Bob Hurley Sr at the URI-Davidson game
BobHurleySr.jpg
The URI baseball cap seems fairly standard, but I have not previously seen that particular style of "RHODY" sweatshirt, nor know where or how it could be procured.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Where can I get that fine cap?
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What a fantastic game. The outcome was never in doubt and we looked like the Patriots against the Bills. And I agree with all others' observations:

- Our depth is ridonkulous. Batman & Batman combine for 14 points and we win by 13.
- 3 PGs in the game at the same time is incredibly fun to watch.
- Lagevine suddenly looks like an automatic double/double. Where did this guy come from?
- Defense. DEFENSE! DEFENSE!!!
- I now believe Dan when he says Fatts can lead the A-10 in scoring.
- How great is it to see our players and Coach interviewed on national TV?!
- Mama Hurley is a fox. :)

My nephews are NYC hoopheads and are now so impressed with us that they're laying down bets on my recommendations. Max won 2-fiddy last night.

And this recruiting news is exciting. But how early can a player commit? 10th grade?!?!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

LOVE Coach's postgame quotes, especially this one:

'I’m the type of coach that likes to keep his team on edge – find things to motivate, find things to correct. I recruit the type of players, in a weird way, who are a lot more like me than they think they are.'
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:Nice game summary....

Students camping out before dawn...how awesome is that...?
1 x