Another RI Perspective on URI basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Another RI Perspective on URI basketball

Unread post by Obadiah »

There is a biweekly publication in RI called Motif which thoroughly covers the entertainment, music, beer and bar scene in RI, and has a lively Opinion section led by two characters, Phillipe and Jorge. Here is an interesting commentary from P&J's Jan. 31 column. The attention on URI basketball is spreading

Basketball’s Rodney Dangerfield:

It is really a sad story, and indicative of The Biggest Little’s provincial and Providence-oriented worldview, that after all the hubbub and headlines about the URI basketball team’s entry into the top 25 of the weekly national polls, that they still have no legitimate TV contract that guarantees local Rams fans they can see them play, especially on the road. That, in itself, is shameful.

URI’s brass-balled coach Danny Hurley has turned his team into a monster, one that qualified for the NCAA tournament last year, and appears to be on the road to March Madness again. The problem is they play in the Atlantic 10 conference, which gets no respect on the national stage unless you put a finger up people’s noses, which Hurley and URI are doing.

This is not to denigrate Providence College, which has an equally compelling story of little guys squaring up against any all comers, and also made the NCAAs last year. And admittedly, La Prov native son PC coach Ed Cooley’s resurrection story is on par with Hurley’s. But with the éclat of the Big East conference sitting on their shoulder, they have everything but their practices on national TV.

It is too late to do anything about it this year, but may P&J suggest the omniscient Cox network do the right thing and lock in URI’s entire schedule for next year right now, and show them they are recognized and appreciated as a legit player on the national stage? Thank you.

You can read more of their comments on other subjects via this link:
http://motifri.com/pjfebi18/
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Another RI Perspective on URI basketball

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Phillipe and Jorge have always been supportive.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hopefully a local outlet will cover the non network games next year. I would rather it be either MyRI (WPRI) or MeTV (WJAR) as they are not limited to RI Cox subscribers.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

One of them (I think it's Jorge) is Rudy Cheeks, URI '73 and an alumni of both the Cigar and the late, lamented, legendary Young Adults.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

He was a character when I was in school.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

2 x
Victorino
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Victorino »

As far as the statement that PC made the NCAA tournament last year, what they made was the playin tournament, which they lost. By its definition, playin means that if you win you get into the tournament. Since they lost, which they usually do in tournaments, they did not make the tournament last year.
1 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Yeaahhhh! Phillipe and Jorge, making sense of a senseless world! Jorge is definitely Rudy Cheeks, RI music legend. Guy is a treasure trove of Rhody/Prov music history. This column was originally in the New Paper I believe, then migrated to the Providence Phoenix (RIP) for many years. Was very gratified to see it was still kept alive, although the Motif is no Phoenix. They may be among the longest running columnists in the state, knocking on 40 years now. Viva le Cool Cool World!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Not to split hairs, but the opening round in Dayton to go from 68 to 64 teams is now called the First Four. I believe if you are in this game you are considered to have made the tourney. So essentially, 60 teams get a bye into the "First Round."

I will say this, a few years ago, the top crew (Nance and I don't remember who with him) was calling one of the 16 vs. 16 games like it was the National Championship. It was a down to the wire game and his voice level and sense of the moment was equivalent to it being a final four game. Maybe because for these two teams, it really was.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Thanks for the input. I had no idea who these guys are or anything about Motif
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:One of them (I think it's Jorge) is Rudy Cheeks, URI '73 and an alumni of both the Cigar and the late, lamented, legendary Young Adults.
My best friend at the time, Tom Bell, started The Good Five Cent Cigar in 1971. We had no idea it was going to be so popular. I'm not even sure if Tom is still alive, but glad to see his "alternative" news source is still going strong....
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Paleoguy wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:One of them (I think it's Jorge) is Rudy Cheeks, URI '73 and an alumni of both the Cigar and the late, lamented, legendary Young Adults.
My best friend at the time, Tom Bell, started The Good Five Cent Cigar in 1971. We had no idea it was going to be so popular. I'm not even sure if Tom is still alive, but glad to see his "alternative" news source is still going strong....
I was a freshman at the time. I am amazed the name has stuck for so long.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Living in CT for the last 20 years....forgot that they are still around. Some cool stuff indeed.
0 x