NCAA opening opponent fears

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

NCAA opening opponent fears

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

I do not want to see URI open with ETSU and Steve Forbes Buccaneers from the SoCon. This would be a bad 5/12 4/13 ish draw. Who are your fears for URIs opening round opponents? Desonta Bradford can stroke it, I know their game with Citadel was tighter than expected but they would be a tough out
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: NCAA opening opponent fears

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Arizona State
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I could see us against Bobby second round....only way 1st round would be a 7-10 or 8-9 matchup.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

KillSteenKill wrote:I do not want to see URI open with ETSU and Steve Forbes Buccaneers from the SoCon. This would be a bad 5/12 4/13 ish draw. Who are your fears for URIs opening round opponents? Desonta Bradford can stroke it, I know their game with Citadel was tighter than expected but they would be a tough out
Um what
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Syracuse. They’re really long and athletic which could give us problems. They’re not great on offense but they’ve been very good defensively this year. Also my family is from Syracuse so naturally I was raised a huge Cuse fan, I think I’d have a mental breakdown if we play them in the tournament.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Yeah, can we put this thread on hold for...ummm...about 5 weeks till the A10 tournament. This type of stuff is exactly what other KBers were saying about getting ahead of ourselves.

Yes this run is fun and exciting, but I’m focusing on the VCU game Friday, not thinking about fantasy matchups that would be a potential bad matchup for Rhody in March
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Listen, I can multi-task. I’m over here almost vomiting at the thought of the Super Bowl, all while worrying about how I’d plan defensively for Justin Tillman (distract him by asking for hair tips, probably) and stressing about a potential 1992 NCAA Tournament rematch of sorts.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can see the committee putting us and ASU in the same bracket they love to do that stuff
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

My opening-round fear? E.C., Stan and Jared get hurt and we don't make it.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Apparently we all have fears
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jesus Christ! Can we make the tourney first?? There are NO F(@($;&;! GUARANTEES!
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

God forbid we don’t make it, can you imagine how bad the meltdown you guys will have will be...
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote:Jesus Christ! Can we make the tourney first?? There are NO F(@($;&;! GUARANTEES!
Thank you DC Rams! Everyone is entitled to providing thread topics and opinions but good lord, it's only the beginning of February. Lets take care of business a game at a time, stay healthy, then when the reg season/conf is done we can discuss
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hey we can have some confidence about our future no?

All I know is as far as matchups go, having to play Dukes two crazy good bigs and Haas from Purdue would not be fun....
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

DC_Rams wrote:God forbid we don’t make it, can you imagine how bad the meltdown you guys will have will be...
People will have a meltdown whether or not this thread exists if we don't make the tournament.

And I really don't get it, I've seen a bunch of posts about playing in Boston which no one has called out but god forbid we talk about a first round matchup.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

They all are equally annoying and dumb. But carry on...
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

I have no confidence issues with the team, I'm confident every game they play and feel we'll end on a strong note for the reg season. These last 8 games will be tough which people have touched on, all grinding type of games

There has just been an abundance of posts on being a 4 playing ETSU or being a 5 and playing in Boston, (which I believe a few posters did call out about putting the cart before the horse)

I am extremely excited about how this season is going, full confidence in Danny and getting our boys ready for every game. Could care less how much we win by as long as we win, and the close games are great prep for the tournament. But the #4/#5 seed talk, i do think thats a little over the top right now. Let's see what happnes the next 8 games and if everything goes to plan (26-3 (fingers crossed) or 25-4) then i think that type of seeding talk is warranted
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Good thing we have DC_Rams here to tell us what we can and cannot write about...

In all honesty, I'm concerned more about location because in my own selfishness I don't want to go to the west coast.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

What an even more asanine comment. We have TO EARN OUR SPOT FIRST. If counting ya chickens before they hatch is how you get to where you want to go, be my guest.

We can win the last 8, or lose them. God forbid the latter happens....epic meltdown cause we are a #4 seed, ya know?
2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Im guessing everyone saw who defeated Samford by 20 tonight
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don't want to be in Villanova bracket!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DC_Rams wrote:They all are equally annoying and dumb. But carry on...
If only the person that started this had thought to title the thread more clearly. Thoughts and prayers that you had the misfortune to accidentally stumble into discussion of the tournament before selection Sunday
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

My fear is VCU tonight
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

In my book - it is totally acceptable for us *as fans* to look forward to things like this. It's part of the fun of being a fan, imagining the possibilities of what can happen. With how the team as played so far, we can enjoy the future possibilities a lot more than we could have in years past. Neither the original post or anything following included mentioning that Hurley/the team could or should be thinking ahead of their next opponent. Lucky for us, we are fans, and we can have the luxury of imagining future scenarios. And as Ace said (in her infinite wisdom), I too have the ability to multi-task and worry about multiple things at the same time.

On to the point of the thread, any team that has strong interior play worries me. I would honestly feel confident going against any team that has their best 2 or 3 players as guards because I think our combination of talent and depth would overwhelm them.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I can see Rhody and ASU in the same bracket with a 2nd round matchup for a sweet 16 spot.

I can see it clearly.

Our Rams need to beat some Rams tonight.

Huge game. H U G E
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I know this is a different team and a different coach but do we not remember the years we were seemingly headed to the tournament and then .... Let's wait a few weeks at least.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!