Ryan Preston

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ryan Preston

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Am I the only one who liked what they saw from Ryan Preston earlier in the year? Especially in NY?

I thought as he adjusted to this level he would give us some solid minutes off the bench in A10 play.

Does anyone have any idea why he never plays anymore?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Re: Ryan Preston

Unread post by Rhodekill »

I think he has problems with defensive concepts within our system. The few times he has played he seemed to be either disinterested or didn't seem to understand what he had to do. My guess. He certainly is athletic enough but must not be "bringing it" at practice. If he could do it we could use him....
2 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Over the years I think if I've been critical of Dan, it's been in his rotations.

I learned that he knows much more than I do, and is rarely wrong with regards to player development and minutes played (See: Berry, Andre; Championship, A10; Ranking, Top 25; et al).

One thing Dan did say early in the season is how many minutes there are available, and with the depth of our backcourt and need to get those guys on the floor as much as possible, forwards wouldn't have the same amount of minutes available to them as guards do.

I think it's less a knock on Preston, and more a "how can I maximize the minutes of 5 of the 7 best guards in our conference that are on my roster." Add in the emergence of Fatts and it's just less minutes that are available for a Ryan Preston or Mike Layssard to crack the lineup. Even Akele struggles to log minutes - even after games where he's shown flashes of brilliance.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Blue Man wrote:Over the years I think if I've been critical of Dan, it's been in his rotations.

I learned that he knows much more than I do, and is rarely wrong with regards to player development and minutes played (See: Berry, Andre; Championship, A10; Ranking, Top 25; et al).

One thing Dan did say early in the season is how many minutes there are available, and with the depth of our backcourt and need to get those guys on the floor as much as possible, forwards wouldn't have the same amount of minutes available to them as guards do.

I think it's less a knock on Preston, and more a "how can I maximize the minutes of 5 of the 7 best guards in our conference that are on my roster." Add in the emergence of Fatts and it's just less minutes that are available for a Ryan Preston or Mike Layssard to crack the lineup. Even Akele struggles to log minutes - even after games where he's shown flashes of brilliance.
I am shocked and disappointed that you have admitted someone knows more than you do. ;)
4 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

All of my ex-wives knew more than I do......
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

If you look at the defense we are playing right now Andre pretty much plays most of the first half and Cyril the second.

Thing is Hurleys defensive system is very taxing on the big men as they as required to "blitz" the guards nearly every play and then get back on the man they have abandoned. If you read my posts from earlier in the year I was very skeptical of the long term success of this system. However while Andre still moves about as fast as i do with my crippled leg he has shown remarkable stamina and the system has had remarkable success as the guards are to harassed to find the big men who are typically left open down below.

So i imagine as long as this system is working with Cyril and Andre basically splitting the duties of the big man in our D why would you screw with it? Basically it's a critical role in our defensive system and Hurley likely needs 100% trust in a guy to handle that spot, something he may not have yet in Preston while the current rotation is working.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RoadyJay wrote:
Blue Man wrote:Over the years I think if I've been critical of Dan, it's been in his rotations.

I am shocked and disappointed that you have admitted someone knows more than you do. ;)
Thanks for that admission blueman, to draw RoadyJay back to the board. Just this morning I was wondering about his absence.
Miss the signs :cry: :cry: :cry:
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I like what I saw from Preston. I am not calling for him to hit the floor for some minutes. If I had to call for something, I would ask that he hang in there and develop his game to be a key piece next year or this year if the game calls for it (i.e. our guys get fouls and the front court is thin... all that).
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ryan was about to come in last night as he had his warm-up off. He is one of our best-shot blockers as seen earlier in the season, especially that big one vs Seton Hall. Its a shame he can't fit in someplace.
0 x
GO RAMS
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Some good observations being made here. I, too, have been wondering why he never seems to get any minutes. With a long, athletic team like VCU you would think Preston would be a good fit, especially defensively. But I'm sure Hurley doesn't want to mess with the current chemistry. I just hope that Langevine can help contain Tillman without fouling too much, but that seems unlikely. Should be an interesting matchup.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Thought Preston had his warm ups off all night? I used to question the sub patterns a LOT...but, then, as noted earlier, you realize when they keep winning, the coach knows what he's doing. Even still today, a guy will hit a shot and Hurls will spin around to the bench and replace him. Used to think that was nutty, now, with the confidence in this coach that everyone should have by now...it's almost amusing.

With Preston, seems pretty likely it's the play on defense that keeps him out. I don't think for a second that he's disinterested...rather, I think the defensive scheme is pretty complicated. Berry seems to be playing it pretty well, but would lean more towards the reason for that being that he "gets it", more than an ability to play basic D...and Preston just hasn't yet?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I would worry more about Preston not getting consistent minutes if Hurley wasn't consistent with this. From the past few years, if you don't put forth the effort he wants on defense, or if you're not as good as someone ahead of you on the depth chart, you don't play. Like, he doesn't do the Baron thing of just throwing a guy out there because they're down 20 or up 20. If you're going to play in a game, it seems to be because it's based on your performance in practice. If you're good enough to play, your role the previous year doesn't matter. Berry went from warming the bench every game to starting this year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hurley started the season going 10 deep.

6 guards: JT, EC, Jeff, Jarvis, Fatts, Stan
4 Forwards: Berry, Lang, Akele, Ryan

Now he's slowly giving more minutes to his top 8, which basically cut off Akele and Ryan, unless foul trouble plays a role. I think it seems about right to get the most out of your best players and to keep them on the court as much as possible.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Juiston was the guy we were recruiting late in the game as we had one scholarship available in May. He went to UNLV
Preston came after Juiston went UNLV
Preston started only 5 games for his JUCO Team his Senior year. I never saw how that would translate into starting here.
In reality, he did not get beat out by Berry or Langevine. In fact, Berry beat out Langevine for a starting spot
Preston and Akele got beat out by Robinson.
Robinson's defense, rebounding, offense, passing, ball handling, Dan Hurley calling Robinson his MVP of the team - basically said this is a 4 guard, 1 big man team
Berry and Langevine split the 40 minutes each night
Even Akele is not getting in much at all
The 4 guards are occupied by Mathews, Terrell, Dowtin, Garrett, Robinson and Russell and nobody appears to be a threat to take their minutes
Maybe, and probably, we go with 2 big men next year

Preston has his warm up shirt off a lot - can't read much into that

Some may speculate that defense may be what is keeping him out of the line up but he is not a good shooter from the field or from the FT line either. He had his chances for minutes early in the season. problem is simple: 4 Guards and 1 Big Man. This is the decision that Hurley and Staff made and it is very doubtful to change now.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Preston is a very good athlete. If you didn't know this team and watched layup drills, you might think he is the star of the team. Unfortunately, being a very good athlete doesn't always make you a good basketball player.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH is very loyal to his rotation . I think if no foul trouble then he just plays 8 guys in a meaningful game. If the need arises Akele is the 9th man may or may not get minutes
Ryan is the 10th man looks like he will only get in on an emergency situation injury or major foul trouble
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......maybe for next year more PT.......more Hurley seasoning might get him where he needs to be......I was expecting more......I suppose it was slim pickings trying to get plug and play ready fillers to our departed front court......two mistakes, we going after him and he coming.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Our lack of size can be a liability. If Dan trusted Preston, he'd be playing.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah next year will be Ryan's year. I am certain he will be a valuable part of next years rotation assuming he keeps working hard
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Next year we will be without 4 of 6 guards and 1 of 4 big-men that comprise our 10 deep line-up this season. It will take time for the freshmen to develop. Our style play will need to be different and Preston will see significant minutes. Right now he is the #4 big-man competing for 1 position on the floor.

Dan's biggest problems are getting this team off to faster starts each half and getting Cyril to return to last year's form. The guards know that they are going to the bench once they get 2 fouls so they don't play aggressive and commit fouls early. This leaves Andre/Cyril vulnerable inside. Cyril has not adjusted as well as Andre and commits bad fouls early in games. Preston is not the answer to either of these problems. It is not clear who is going to get us going each half. Jeff, Jarvis, Jared and Fatts all try to be the microwave. EC is our closer but is awful early in halves offensively (air-balls reign) and defensively at all times (note Cyril/EC substitutions late in games).

While amassing a 10-0 conference start URI has neither peaked in terms of its potential nor played our top conference competition.. The next few games are critical as URI starts the most difficult phase of its conference schedule. I think Hurley has shortened the bench in hopes of getting more consistent 40 minutes of basketball. For this, Preston is the 10th man.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!