2/2 | VCU Rams | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: 2/2 | VCU Rams | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Wayne Epps talks about tonight's crowd and the return (?) of Havoc, while I worry that this team is too emotionally exhausted to win this one on the road.

https://soundcloud.com/colby-cotter/the ... -episode-9
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU fans sell out every game at the Siegel Center and give it a great home court advantage. They however have not protected their home court as well this season as they thus far have three losses there - Virginia, Texas, and Richmond. These three contests were probably their most anticipated games to date. Virginia is always a big deal for any other VA state school and to get them at home is special. The Texas game was not only a name opponent but was also the return of former coach Shaka Smart. Richmond, while not having a great season, is also a big game as it is their city rival and fans on both sides have no love for one another. The URI contest is another big time home game. It will be interesting to see how VCU responds given they came up short in similar hyped games earlier. There is a lot of pressure on them.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Gopher+RamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gopher+RamFan »

PeterRamTime wrote:They really have no respect for us on that VCU board.

Since they are the "flagship" program...

Apparently they know that Hurley is going to bolt to some P5 school when the year is over since he's just like Shaka Smart... cause ya know we don't have money and all our good players are leaving.
We will be back to being irrelevant by next year...

The "flagship" program in the A-10.

Does Dayton know that VCU is the flagship program in the A-10?
I had a good time watching my VCU squad @URI last year. I didn't like the banner saying "Will Wade will leave" or something to that effect, but we were "in enemy territory" and that stuff comes with it. Understand that coaches leave all the time - VCU has lost back to back Top 20 recruiting classes because of it.

I would say that VCU is the "flagship" program IF there has to be one. VCU has been in the tournament every year since joining the A-10, as well as in every single A-10 Championship game. Why would you say Dayton is the flagship? Because they got the #1 seed via a 3 way tie, facing all top 4 teams at home that year?

I think URI is the much better squad this year - and kudos to you guys. Most VCU fans were rooting for y'all to make the tournament last year as well. A better URI is good for the Conference. I also have a soft spot (being a Minnesota Vikings fan) for fans who suffer through long periods of drought and make it to the post-season or have a successful season.

Anyways, here's to a healthy game for both squads - and I'll leave you with a question: IF there had to be a deisgnated "flagship" of the Conference since 2013, who would it be? URI may very well become the flagship in the future, I'll be curious to watch over the next couple of seasons to see.
5 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gopher+RamFan wrote:

Apparently they know that Hurley is going to bolt to some P5 school when the year is over since he's just like Shaka Smart... cause ya know we don't have money and all our good players are leaving.

I had a good time watching my VCU squad @URI last year. I didn't like the banner saying "Will Wade will leave" or something to that effect, but we were "in enemy territory" and that stuff comes with it. Understand that coaches leave all the time - VCU has lost back to back Top 20 recruiting classes because of it.

I would say that VCU is the "flagship" program IF there has to be one. VCU has been in the tournament every year since joining the A-10, as well as in every single A-10 Championship game. Why would you say Dayton is the flagship? Because they got the #1 seed via a 3 way tie, facing all top 4 teams at home that year?

I think URI is the much better squad this year - and kudos to you guys. Most VCU fans were rooting for y'all to make the tournament last year as well. A better URI is good for the Conference. I also have a soft spot (being a Minnesota Vikings fan) for fans who suffer through long periods of drought and make it to the post-season or have a successful season.

Anyways, here's to a healthy game for both squads - and I'll leave you with a question: IF there had to be a deisgnated "flagship" of the Conference since 2013, who would it be? URI may very well become the flagship in the future, I'll be curious to watch over the next couple of seasons to see.
Dayton
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Gopher+RamFan wrote:

Dayton... they sell out a 13000 fan arena every game even when they suck
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

More Videos!

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don't think it's healthy for the league to have a single "flagship". While URI is certainly the best this year, they'll have to do be among the best for the next several years before we can claim to be a flagship. Right now, Dayton and VCU are the flagship programs, but they'll both have to bounce back soon in order to maintain that status.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Obviously there is no Flagship. If Smart stayed and Miller stayed then VCU probably edges out Dayton. But now? That stuff is history.

I would argue Temple carried the torch in the 90s. Xavier the 2000s. And then there was a battle in the 2010s because there has been unrest with different teams outperforming each other each year. And actually different teams in the league.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

All sorts of Media on GameDay!!

0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/vcu-rams ... 811220485/

For the Record. We beat the "flagship" with two of their top performers ever. Maynor and Sanders.

(My heart sinks looking at the boxscore, Cothran dominated that game)
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/vcu-rams ... 811220485/

For the Record. We beat the "flagship" with two of their top performers ever. Maynor and Sanders.

(My heart sinks looking at the boxscore, Cothran dominated that game)
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

VCU has been in 7 straight NCAAs I think. Sounds like a flagship to me.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Gopher+RamFan wrote:

Since joining the league VCU (great addition A10, btw), has been one of the teams to beat. If I had to pick one current flagship, however, I'd say Dayton, mostly due to their longevity in the league. Dayton has been there since 1995. But perhaps I'm using the term flagship wrong. If you mean perennial team to beat, then VCU along with Dayton both fit the definition currently and I'm hoping Rhode Island has much more than a short stay at that spot as well. Time will tell.

As others have said, in the 80s it was Temple and West Virginia. 90s, Temple, UMass, Xavier, with a bit of SJU and URI in the late 90s. 2000s more Xavier and some Temple, though honestly, in the Baron years I paid less attention and didn't realize the A10 added VCU and Butler in 2012 until the season started!

Regardless of how you look at it, and flagship or not, rebuilding year or not, VCU is a welcome addition and one of the perennial teams to beat along with Dayton currently. We do need URI and at least one other to join that list so the A10 can get back to 3-4 plus bid conference.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

When it comes to "flagship" talk I think it comes down to the coach. I'm not impressed with Anthony Grant at Dayton and think both UMass and Duquesne made a better hire. I like Rhoades and feel he'll quickly pickup the winning ways and stay for a while. I hope I'm wrong with Grant, but I see him as Brian Gregory 2.0 and think they really failed their fanbase with a very blah hire after a making a program changing hire with Archie.

There's not a program I'd trade places with if Hurley stays. I think VCU and URI will be fighting for the top two spots more seasons than not. Dayton, to me, is a program (W-L record) on the decline.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

let's go RHODY

STATEMENT GAME !
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Man they really pump out the content

0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I am irrationally annoyed by the interviewer's voice.
0 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Excited we have the College Basketball world to ourselves tonight
2 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Haven't read thread. VCU obviously very good and biggest league road test thus far But its the GOOD Rams time. Love them here......or at least have the highest hopes...>GO RHODY!!!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am getting ready to watch this tilt
Fired up !!!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Unfortunately, I can’t start watching until about halftime. Debating on watching live from there or starting from beginning and being behind all game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Bar...where U sitting?
I'm gen admission 10th row end zone
Straight up from end of VCU bench
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Slowly filling up.

I'm in the back corner.

Seeing a few clad in Keaney.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Flagship talk is boring.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The band is so badasss....they're like the flagship band of the A-10.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Checking in. Nice start. Steal and BERRY.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ELBERT!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Let’s do this
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Loved the set play to open the game and go right at Tillman
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Why doesn't EC PASS the ball on the break to Terrell?? We'd be up 9-2.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

it is soo frustrating it was a no brainer to pass it
0 x
Native
ARD

Re: 2017-18 Bracketology

Unread post by Native »

Although Rhody was up early,, VCU currently holding the slightest of leads

With 15:39 remaining in first half

VCU 8, URI 7
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

2 bad shots in a row by JT and Stan

Need to share the ball and get good shots
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Gotta keep passing the ball around
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cyril is doing a fantastic job defensively so far in not letting Tillman get the ball deep in the paint. Has forced him to take a few bad shots so far.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

media timeout at 11:24

URI 18, VCU 16

Langevine and Berry each have a foul
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Neither team using much of the shot clock, fun game to watch so far!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......heavy weights going at it.....love this.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great action out there !!
What a road test ??
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm just glad our players are all ON and into the game. No slow start. I think we can figure them out and pull away.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I say we give it to Berry in the post and have him go at Tillman....we get him in foul trouble and we are golden
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

This broadcast has had some awkward moments. Starting with the open and then during that last time out with the announcer and student on the floor.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tom98 wrote:I say we give it to Berry in the post and have him go at Tillman....we get him in foul trouble and we are golden
The problem is Berry cant cover Tillman, so it works both ways.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'm just glad our players are all ON and into the game. No slow start. I think we can figure them out and pull away.

yup. survive the 1st 10 min, and take over once the adrenaline of the crowd wears off
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Where was that foul on Berry?
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

media timeout at 7:09 remaining in first half

tied ball game

URI 27, VCU 27

Along the way, Berry has picked up his second foul, committed while guarding Tillman on a layup attempt
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

ATPTourFan wrote:Where was that foul on Berry?
......yes, got him with body......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We are involved in an absolute war

Fatts from 3

Cyril monster jam

This is must watch TV
0 x