2/2 | VCU Rams | 7PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Re: 2/2 | VCU Rams | 7PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

going to be an exciting difficult game, can't wait
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodeIslandBred wrote:I third ...or fourth what others have said about rebounding on this board. I was at the Duquesne game and we got killed. UMASS was more of the same.
This is also a game where the seniors need to step up and make good decisions. 33 minutes through the Duquesne game and if I could count how many seniors settled for a stepback three (with time left on the clock) that won't get it done versus VCU. If we're going to win at their house we've got to take it to them and punch em in the mouth.

GO RHODY!
I think our settling for tough shots might be evidence of us being overconfident as well as complacent.
Mighy be getting a little mentally lazy, because we don't have to be all that sharp to get a win.
We just have to refocus, go back over our fundamentals and go execute. It starts on the defensive end for us.
We've needed Jarvis and Fatts to get us going the past couple games. Time for our starters to come out with some fire.

We will either continue to sleepwalk a little bit or we will come out and go all out with our energy and focus on the game plan.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: I think our settling for tough shots might be evidence of us being overconfident as well as complacent.
Mighy be getting a little mentally lazy, because we don't have to be all that sharp to get a win.
We just have to refocus, go back over our fundamentals and go execute. It starts on the defensive end for us.
We've needed Jarvis and Fatts to get us going the past couple games. Time for our starters to come out with some fire.

We will either continue to sleepwalk a little bit or we will come out and go all out with our energy and focus on the game plan.
I think this VCU game will bring that back out of them. Place will be rocking, good team, Friday night on ESPN. I'll be shocked if everybody isn't up and ready to go.
1 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

As a player on URI, I would be PUMPED to silence the crowd.
1 x
GO RAMS
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They responded well in front of 13,500 Red Sweater Vests.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

(this sports weekend might kill me)

When I wrote out the schedule in the pre-season, I had this one as a loss. I want to be wrong... so very wrong!
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My only question about this great URI team is whether the pressure and associated fatigue that comes with being ranked, on a winning streak and undefeated in conference play is having an effect?? The last three games have seen some uncharacteristic play - rebounding deficits, the low energy starts to both the Duquesne and UMass games, the poor start to second half Duquesne and the meltdown in last three minutes at UMass. We can't afford to see any of that against a strong opponent on a hostile court.

Go URI. Never forget you are a talented and special team in Rhody history.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Every one of the six guards has had an 18+ game this year. This is why we are on a 13 game winning streak. Clean up some things and get the offense firing again.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

VCU students are camping out for entry to the game.

1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Obadiah wrote:My only question about this great URI team is whether the pressure and associated fatigue that comes with being ranked, on a winning streak and undefeated in conference play is having an effect?? The last three games have seen some uncharacteristic play - rebounding deficits, the low energy starts to both the Duquesne and UMass games, the poor start to second half Duquesne and the meltdown in last three minutes at UMass. We can't afford to see any of that against a strong opponent on a hostile court.

Playing such a small lineup has its trade-offs. We can not expect to clean the defensive boards with our bigs mostly watching from the bench. Overall, the strategy of playing our smaller, quicker, and in general more experienced players has been working out. However, it would be nice to add a few wrinkles, with some bigger lineups. I worry about it more at the end of games. When the players get fatigued they may lose a bit of their quickness but the bigs do not get any smaller.

Really enjoying this season!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:VCU students are camping out for entry to the game.

Rhoades House?

Lets spray paint over the "a" and "e" and put in a "y"

Rhody's House sounds more like it
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:My only question about this great URI team is whether the pressure and associated fatigue that comes with being ranked, on a winning streak and undefeated in conference play is having an effect?? The last three games have seen some uncharacteristic play - rebounding deficits, the low energy starts to both the Duquesne and UMass games, the poor start to second half Duquesne and the meltdown in last three minutes at UMass. We can't afford to see any of that against a strong opponent on a hostile court.

Playing such a small lineup has its trade-offs. We can not expect to clean the defensive boards with our bigs mostly watching from the bench. Overall, the strategy of playing our smaller, quicker, and in general more experienced players has been working out. However, it would be nice to add a few wrinkles, with some bigger lineups. I worry about it more at the end of games. When the players get fatigued they may lose a bit of their quickness but the bigs do not get any smaller.

Really enjoying this season!
We have been playing the same line up pretty much the whole year, but 3 of the last 4 games have been our lowest rebounding games. For whatever reason the guys are not rebounding like they were.

Langevine and Berry split the 40 minutes but have gotten only 5 rebounds between then for the last two games. Can't be tired, can they? Splitting the 40 minutes? The First UMASS Game Robinson and Langevine got 12 rebounds EACH and URI had 44 rebounds then only 22 last UMASS game. What changed? Are teams figuring out how to play us better in the rebounding department?

But Dan Hurley will make adjustments, just as he has all year. We have not gotten to 17-3 by accident.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rebounding in the last game was 24-22. There just weren't a lot of rebounds to be had with both teams shooting over 50% for the game, and us missing 3 shots in the entire second half. Size inside has been a concern all season, with a 4 guard lineup, but think you are reading too much into the last 2 games to extrapolate a larger issue. We have been competitive off the glass in most games.

I think the game plan for tomorrow is likely very similar to what it was for Dayton and Josh Cunningham. Tillman is going to get his, and put up big numbers. Make him take tough 2s and battle all night. And then contain or shut down everyone else on the perimeter. If Berry could ever get a foul or two on Tillman in the early going it would be a game changer. I expect our bigs to pick up a bunch of fouls trying to contain him. For all the talk about Preston not playing this would be the type of game where he could be a 'break glass in case of emergency' type if Berry and Cyril get in quick/early foul trouble. Let's hope not. No way Akele can matchup at 5 with Tillman in lineup.

I do agree with others that our guys should come up amped for this one, and that has probably been lacking with our last couple opponents.
Hope there is other Keaneyblue in this sea of black. Go Rhody!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the wrap up Don and Steve were saying URI really got hurt on the boards despite the Rebounding numbers. Don said that URI lost a lot of 50-50 balls to UMASS that would not show up in the rebounding statistics.
3 of the last 4 games have been our lowest rebounding games of the year, so I'm not just looking at the last 2 games. Plus VCU is a more physical and tougher team then either Duquesne or UMASS. Consider too UMASS played without 2 big men, Holloway who is out the rest of the season and Baldwin who missed his second consecutive game with knee issues.

But as I said, I think Dan will make adjustments just like he did for the UMASS game to have Dowtin controlling the ball more and passing versus letting the others hunt for their own shots. Was a great move that resulted in the team shooting the highest percentage of the year

I think we beat VCU and win out to be honest - Hurley is the man and this is a veteran team loaded with Seniors and one of the best point guards in the country who plays like a Senior and never gets rattled. This story is not over and this team could very well end up the most successful in URI B-Ball history
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

From your mouth to god's ears Ramster. Tomorrow IMO is a much tougher one than Bonnies. We match up so well with Bonnies that the away game doesn't concern me as much. With VCU and Tillman we have 1 spot where we are outclassed. I don't think 1 guy can beat this team, so they will need others to step up, but I do expect Tillman to have a big night on us. Limit everyone else, squeak out a victory! A win over VCU could move the needle in the polls because of the name recognition and general acceptance that VCU is a very hard place to win.
4 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Team rebounding is key.. There is no reason that JT and EC can't contribute more on the boards.. Both athletic enough especially JT...
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote:Rebounding in the last game was 24-22. There just weren't a lot of rebounds to be had with both teams shooting over 50% for the game, and us missing 3 shots in the entire second half. Size inside has been a concern all season, with a 4 guard lineup, but think you are reading too much into the last 2 games to extrapolate a larger issue. We have been competitive off the glass in most games.

I think the game plan for tomorrow is likely very similar to what it was for Dayton and Josh Cunningham. Tillman is going to get his, and put up big numbers. Make him take tough 2s and battle all night. And then contain or shut down everyone else on the perimeter. If Berry could ever get a foul or two on Tillman in the early going it would be a game changer. I expect our bigs to pick up a bunch of fouls trying to contain him. For all the talk about Preston not playing this would be the type of game where he could be a 'break glass in case of emergency' type if Berry and Cyril get in quick/early foul trouble. Let's hope not. No way Akele can matchup at 5 with Tillman in lineup.

I do agree with others that our guys should come up amped for this one, and that has probably been lacking with our last couple opponents.
Hope there is other Keaneyblue in this sea of black. Go Rhody!
We only missed three shots in the second half? That's amazing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes we missed 3 shots in 2nd half, shot 13-16...and 1 of the misses was an EC Matthews missed dunk. Could have finished 14-16 and Jeff Dowtin would have had another assist.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

16 shots taken in the entire 2nd half was an amazing stat in of itself....

but they were quality shots!

We certainly didn't take many shots the last 6 minutes......but we made enough FT's to hang on.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

The few recent games I watched from VCU their defense was super suspect, like holes everywhere. Hopefully that continues
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote:The few recent games I watched from VCU their defense was super suspect, like holes everywhere. Hopefully that continues
Yep, and as long as we stay aggressive on both ends, especially on offense, we should be able to score fairly easily....

Also, VCU's half court offense is not a thing of beauty either....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote:Yes we missed 3 shots in 2nd half, shot 13-16...and 1 of the misses was an EC Matthews missed dunk. Could have finished 14-16 and Jeff Dowtin would have had another assist.

Just for the record though, on the post game show Don Kaull was referencing our not so good rebounding on the defensive boards. He was commenting on how we were giving UMASS so many 2nd and 3rd shots. I get how we shot well, in fact best percent of the season and lord knows we needed it or we lose, but that is what was brought up in the post game show.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cyril needs a big game on the boards. Needs to stay out of foul trouble. On the road, not so easy.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
"We're sorry but you've reached your complimentary monthly article limit on ProvidenceJournal.com"...........Isn't today Feb 1st? Is the number of complimentary visits zero?
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Let Tillman get his...don't sink off the shooters with help D.

They won't win by making 2s
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

VCU can get hot from 3......saw them against USC early in the season make 12 3's....in the first half.....

If we limit their 3's and hold them more or less even on the boards....I think we win.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Who's on Tillman, Stan? Spelled by Cyril when he comes in?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Berry and a lot of Cyril I'm sure. Stan cannot cover Tillman.
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

am i wrong in assuming this will be the most hostile environment we have played in thus far with dayton being down a bit?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Thinking the Stanimal can check just about anyone... if he covers Tillman...minimum 3 steals.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Stan can only guard Tillman if he can prevent him catching the ball inside of 10 ft. any closer to the rim and Tillman will eat him up.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s very possible that I now love Khris Lane.

Really hope he loses tomorrow, but still.
7 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Impressed by Mr. Lane.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Lane has a well rounded perspective on things.

It'll be a war tomorrow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah impressive interview by Long

Definitely expecting a war tomorrow at VCU
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:It’s very possible that I now love Khris Lane.

Really hope he loses tomorrow, but still.
Seriously, its like why did you have to go and make me like you the night before this huge game!
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is going to be a great Friday Night game for National TV.......

Excerpt from today’s article...

At about 8 p.m. on Thursday, the basketball team continued a tradition of stopping by and bringing pizza to the campers.
“Very, very, very appreciative of that,” said Purihella.
Purihella said that the tents will probably be packed up around lunchtime Friday, and then the line for the game will start later that afternoon ahead of the 7 p.m. tip.
Junior history major Patrick Kearney, another one of the campers, said he expects the game atmosphere to be crazy.
“I hope it’s a lot like the Texas game,” he said.
“The Texas game was outrageous. And I hope we can get a good atmosphere like that again.”

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 23532.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fatts played against Mobley last year when his Imhotep pulled the huge upset over Monteverde to end their 55 game Home court winning streak. The Freshman, Mobley, starts for VCU

0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:This is going to be a great Friday Night game for National TV.......

At about 8 p.m. on Thursday, the basketball team continued a tradition of stopping by and bringing pizza to the campers.
Purihella said that the tents will probably be packed up around lunchtime Friday, and then the line for the game will start later that afternoon ahead of the 7 p.m. tip.
Junior history major Patrick Kearney, another one of the campers, said he expects the game atmosphere to be crazy.
“The Texas game was outrageous. And I hope we can get a good atmosphere like that again.”

Hahahaha... so they camped out for literally no reason?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote:
ramster wrote:This is going to be a great Friday Night game for National TV.......

No, they did camp out for reasons. It’s become a tradition back to Shaka Smart and Will Wade. In fact it’s tradition now for the players to personally deliver pizza to them at 8pm. They earlier they get in the better seats they get to as students. But this is more about the tent event itself from what I read
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Just listened to Iggy and Frogman's podcast. You guys do a nice job.

Personally, I think Rhody has had enough of the fog/let down type of games to really re-focus on this game. To Duq/Umass credit they played well. Plus Umass already saw Rhody. Of course they would play better.

This VCU game is a big time atmosphere for sure and there is a lot on the line for URI. You can play down the streak and the ranking all you like.

But this program/kids/school/coach want and are trying to put together something special with a mystique. The streak. The potential for an undefeated season. Finishing high in the polls. That's the stuff these guys want for themselves. Multiple players cant want to be professional basketball players. Second weekend in the NCAAs participants. A10 champs.

Cant want all that stuff and down play any game. Have to look the part every time you are out there. Can't leave any chips on the table.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i am starting to get my engine revved up for tonight's game

let's gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

time to prove ourselves.. AGAIN !!!!

RHODY
RHODY
RHODY

RAMS
RAMS
RAMS
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Just listened to Iggy and Frogman's podcast. You guys do a nice job.

Personally, I think Rhody has had enough of the fog/let down type of games to really re-focus on this game. To Duq/Umass credit they played well. Plus Umass already saw Rhody. Of course they would play better.

This VCU game is a big time atmosphere for sure and there is a lot on the line for URI. You can play down the streak and the ranking all you like.

But this program/kids/school/coach want and are trying to put together something special with a mystique. The streak. The potential for an undefeated season. Finishing high in the polls. That's the stuff these guys want for themselves. Multiple players cant want to be professional basketball players. Second weekend in the NCAAs participants. A10 champs.

Cant want all that stuff and down play any game. Have to look the part every time you are out there. Can't leave any chips on the table.

yup.

you have a week off after tonight. dig deep and leave it all on the floor, earn the W, then enjoy the time off
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Great opportunity tonight...national telecast against a team with some name recognition, and...I am sure we'll hear, at least once or twice..."the only ranked team in action tonight"
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:

No, they did camp out for reasons. It’s become a tradition back to Shaka Smart and Will Wade. In fact it’s tradition now for the players to personally deliver pizza to them at 8pm. They earlier they get in the better seats they get to as students. But this is more about the tent event itself from what I read
Oh Okay haha I read that they were camping out then leaving and coming back and getting in line which seemed pointless
1 x