Jeff Dowtin now #2 Nationally in Assist to Turnover Ratio - Tracking

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Jeff Dowtin now #2 Nationally in Assist to Turnover Ratio - Tracking

Unread post by ramster »

This table does not include tonight's games

#1 Avery hit his average tonight with 6 assists and 1 turnover in a big come from behind win by Kent State over Buffalo = 6.0
#2 Abdur- Rahkman had 4 Assists and 0 Turnovers last night for Michigan = 5.69
#3 Jeff Dowtin had 10 Assists and only 1 Turnover tonight to put his updated number = 118 Assists against 24 TOs = 4.92 (increased from 4.70 with tonight's game)

10 of the Top 15 in the Nation are Seniors

Jeff Dowtin is the only Sophomore and there are no Freshmen in the Top 15

Assists Turnover Ratio Jan 30.png
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Jeff Dowtin #3 Nationally in Assist to Turnover Ratio - Tracking

Unread post by Blue Man »

He is the reason why I think next years team will turn a lot of heads. The A10 is down this year because you have young, inexperienced hands bringing the ball up the floor on every team.

They will all get better, but rebuilding doesn’t take the steps back you fear if you have a good point guard. We have one of the best.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agreed there big time. Having Dowtin 2 more years will be huge. And we have another good one in Fatts.....with better shooting .....
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Count me among those who, before he took over starting for Jarvis last year, did not think that Jeff would be an excellent PG. I thought he was more of a combo guard, whose ceiling at PG would have been something like Marquis Jones.

This is why I'm not in the business of evaluating basketball talent for a living.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote:Agreed there big time. Having Dowtin 2 more years will be huge. And we have another good one in Fatts.....with better shooting .....
Although when Dowtin gets an open look lately, he's been knocking it down. I'm sure he's working on it a lot. He's becoming a decent shooter.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Also impressive that he's accomplished this in fewer games then everyone else in the rankings.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Jeff is sneaky good at the point......you look at him and he does not appear extremely fast....and his handle appears only adequate....he probably does not impress the first-time observer.....but over time you see his value....especially defensively....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:Jeff is sneaky good at the point......you look at him and he does not appear extremely fast....and his handle appears only adequate....he probably does not impress the first-time observer.....but over time you see his value....especially defensively....
He doesn't look fast, but he's got a good burst when he takes it to the hoop.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Blue Man wrote:He is the reason why I think next years team will turn a lot of heads. The A10 is down this year because you have young, inexperienced hands bringing the ball up the floor on every team.

They will all get better, but rebuilding doesn’t take the steps back you fear if you have a good point guard. We have one of the best.
They have been letting him take the game over in the end. Will pay off next year.

URI always played teams close for decades, just couldn't make the winning plays down the stretch. Hopefully he lifts them up in the future the same way.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Agreed there big time. Having Dowtin 2 more years will be huge. And we have another good one in Fatts.....with better shooting .....
Although when Dowtin gets an open look lately, he's been knocking it down. I'm sure he's working on it a lot. He's becoming a decent shooter.
One thing Chris Disano has talked about is Jeff's shooting in transition and in motion. If you watch he's always wildly off balance and his mechanics are way off on stop-and-pops, or shots taken in transition.

If Jeff is open and has his feet set, his shooting percentage must be over 65%. It's the shots he takes in motion that need the work.

Personally, I love when a PG is pass first, run-the-offense, and only shoots when he's set and wide open. If you can do that, you free up your offense and force the defense to respect your shooting ability, negating a lot of doubles on Jared or EC. That's when Jeff is at his best.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Absolutely, deadly stand still open. But I think they all are.

Even Akele once upon a time. IDK what happened there. He has had an Akeem Richmond-like fall from 3point shooting grace. Not that he was ever as hot as Akeem was, but Akele did knock down a 3 nearly every game he played in for two years. What gives?
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing Jeff will be the captain next year.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We will go from being an older senior-laden team this year to very young next year....

...and with our recruiting class I think the future will be bright....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jeffs assist to turnover totals are just bonkers.
Since December really he's been playing so well.
In the beginning of the year he was forcing things a bit I think, especially in the big games.
He gets the offense flowing with his smart passing.

Dan was saying he wanted him to drive it more to open up more space and I think he did a good job of that against UMass. He's taller than most guys that guard him so he could routinely get high percentage shots at the basket if he can't find anyone open.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last Night Jalen Avery had his worst A/T of the year with 3 Assists and a season high 5 TOs
Also Last Night Abdur Rahkman had 2 Assists and 1 TO
Jeff is still within reach of the Leader Jalen Avery
Assists Turnover Ratio Feb 7.png
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

For much of his career he's been too deferential to the seniors. He's finally starting to grow out of that.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This guy makes us tick what a player
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote:Last Night Jalen Avery had his worst A/T of the year with 3 Assists and a season high 5 TOs
Also Last Night Abdur Rahkman had 2 Assists and 1 TO
Jeff is still within reach of the Leader Jalen Avery

Assists Turnover Ratio Feb 7.png
The separation between these guys in the top-5 is wild. I'm not a math guy, but seems like maybe the concept is "standard deviation." If you think of how many players there are in college basketball behind these five (literally thousands), there can't be much separation between players generally on a scale that ranges from, what, 6.1 to maybe at worst -3.0? To have a such massive differences between these guys on that scale is the most mind-blowing thing about this to me.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Dowtin's actually in second now after Avery's game last night. Rahkman also has 45 less assists than Dowtin so one bad game could easily put Jeff in the lead.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... vidual/473
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Incredible!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And his Assist to Turnover Ratio has a lot to do with this...,

0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Great stat quote from the last Bilas Index on ESPN...
#25 Rhode Island Rams
Rhody has used the starting lineup of Jared Terrell, E.C. Matthews, Jeff Dowtin, Stanford Robinson and Andre Berry for eight straight games and 11 games overall. The Rams are 11-0 in those games. In 126 minutes, that lineup is plus-70 in scoring margin. Dowtin is third in the nation with a 4.77 assist-to-turnover ratio. In Atlantic 10 games, in which Dowtin averages 6.9 assists per game, his assist-to-turnover ratio is 5.1-to-1.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Jeff Dowtin now #2 Nationally in Assist to Turnover Ratio - Tracking

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff still #3 but tonight the top guy had a bad game for Michigan getting 5 assists but 4 turnovers.
Just a few games remaining - hopefully Jeff can end up in the top spot by season's end.
Assists Turnover Ratio Feb 22.png
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Re: Jeff Dowtin now #2 Nationally in Assist to Turnover Ratio - Tracking

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Funny that before we recruited Mike Powell I would complain that we couldn't get a PG that would average more than 3 assists a game. Look at us now!
0 x