Rhody Article from The Athletic

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Article from The Athletic

Unread post by ace »

Fantastic article about building the program and looking ahead. They were on campus earlier in the month to talk to guys for this piece, including Eric and TJ. They certainly have had a unique perspective for watching this all come together.

Yes, it’s a pay site, but most of my favorite writers are now there, so I have no problem supporting it.
5 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Rhody Article from The Athletic

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. The Athletic is so worth the few bucks a month.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed. Been a subscriber all season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ASU gets one today, although it’s not nearly the lovefest that was the URI piece-

I would hate every minute of it, but I can’t stop thinking about how interesting a game between these two teams would be. So many great guards.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Just paid for it and that article was great. Site is well worth the money
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I agree ..... the numerous free sites are usually poorly written and are annoyingly laden with popup ads, etc. Quality journalism should be rewarded.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Athletic is the wave of the future. Their intent to have a presence in every city in America and right now they are at 8 or 9. Their emphasis will be on quality local and national reporting and they will lure the best sports writers away from print journalism like the Providence Journal.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

They have most of the best college hoop writers already, so that's huge if you love college hoop. Stupid ESPN for firing so many REAL talents and keeping only "entertaining" personalities.

"ENTERTAINMENT Sports Programming Network"
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:The Athletic is the wave of the future. Their intent to have a presence in every city in America and right now they are at 8 or 9. Their emphasis will be on quality local and national reporting and they will lure the best sports writers away from print journalism like the Providence Journal.
really it's the Barstool Sports format, just applied to a 100% strict sports journalism realm (and using a pay wall instead of ads for money)
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Choose to believe what you want, Da process, but The Athletic continues to expand. It may be a dicey business model, but the quality is there!

As of last February, The Athletic had exactly two regional sites: one in Chicago and one in Toronto. Only 12 months later, following a yearlong avalanche of expansion, it is now adding its eighth, ninth, and tenth American sites, to go with a full complement of Canadian offerings and verticals for college football, college basketball, and long-form features.

Yesterday, The Athletic announced new hubs in New York City, Dallas, and Cincinnati, as well at the writers who will populate those sites.

For those who favor more in-depth knowledge and a strategic view about this new venture, I recommend this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/spor ... apers.html
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Obadiah wrote:Choose to believe what you want, Da process, but The Athletic continues to expand. It may be a dicey business model, but the quality is there!

As of last February, The Athletic had exactly two regional sites: one in Chicago and one in Toronto. Only 12 months later, following a yearlong avalanche of expansion, it is now adding its eighth, ninth, and tenth American sites, to go with a full complement of Canadian offerings and verticals for college football, college basketball, and long-form features.

Yesterday, The Athletic announced new hubs in New York City, Dallas, and Cincinnati, as well at the writers who will populate those sites.

For those who favor more in-depth knowledge and a strategic view about this new venture, I recommend this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/spor ... apers.html
remind me again where I said anything about The Athletic not being good or not surviving? Reading comprehension folks, use it.

all I did was point out that they are taking the Barstool Sports approach of having bloggers/writers for each major city/area and applying it to traditional sports journalism.

In fact making that comparison implies that The Athletic will be successful as it has been a highly successful model for Barstool Sports.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In ProJo staff changes just announced, Tim Britten who covers the Red Sox will be leaving the Journal to join The Athletic where he will cover the New York Mets.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Tip of the ice berg. Projo's owner doesn't pay their talent market rate, so talent will seek alternative employment.
0 x