What URI NBA Jam (or 3 on 3) Roster Wins? (Update, 2 Harrick Teams)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Which URI NBA Jam Roster Wins? (Update, 2 Harrick Teams)

Kraft - Jiggy Williamson, Sly Williams, Stan Wright
21%
English - Jimmy Wright, Marc Upshaw, Pappy Owens
No votes
Penders - Silk Owens, Tommy Garrick, Kenny Green
32%
Skinner - Eric Leslie, Abdul Fox, Jeff Kent
No votes
Harrick 1- Tyson Wheeler, Cat Mobley, ARD
14%
Harrick 2 - Lamar Odom, Preston Murphy, Luther Clay
11%
Jerry D - Zach Marbury, T-Bell, Tip Vinson
4%
Baron - Jimmy Baron, Delroy James, Will Daniels
11%
Dan Hurley - EC Matthews, Hassan Martin, Jared Terrell
7%

Total votes: 28

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

What URI NBA Jam (or 3 on 3) Roster Wins? (Update, 2 Harrick Teams)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Since last weeks "all-star" poll was well received, but probably didn't have enough parameters (or too many, or no Jack Kraft squads), I did my best to stick to the same break-downs (coaching eras), and tried to put together NBA Jam lineups from each era.

Yes there are some huge omissions, even from great Rhody teams, but tried to get what you would figure would be the most common requests.

For you non-videogame heads that didn't get to grow up with the glory of SNES in the early 90's, NBA Jam took 3 players from each team, and put them on a roster where you played 1 quarter with 2 players, then could switch it up at the end of each quarter. However, knowing this board, feel free to take it as a 3 on 3 tournament as well.

Same rules apply here. I took stats from each players best season under that coach, and you could only play for one team in this. I kept Kenny Green with Penders, even though he had his best years with Skinner. I almost did 2 Baron teams (Dawan, Hazelton, Daniels and Jimmy, Cothran, Delroy) but I think adding Will to that other team makes them more dangerous, and makes this a little harder to do. Here's a roster breakdown:

***UPDATE*** In light of the obvious point made that 3 of our 5 NBA players on 1 team makes it 100% certain that team Harrick runs away, I elected to make this more competitive. I've added another Harrick team. '98 vs '99 essentially. You can change your votes if you choose.

Team Kraft:
Sly Williams: F 6-7 23.9 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 3.5 Ast
Jiggy Williamson: F 6-7 23.9 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 3.5 Ast
Stan Wright: F 6-5 11.8 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 4.3 Ast

Team English:
Jimmy Wright: F 6-8 15.3 Pts, 8.0 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Marc Upshaw: F 6-6 16.9 Pts, 8.7 Reb, 1.7 Ast
Pappy Owens: G 6-4 15.4 Pts, 2.9 Reb

Team Penders:
Silk Owens: G 6-0 21.8 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 5.1 Ast
Tommy Garrick: G 6-2 20.5 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 4.1 Ast
Kenny Green: F 6-8 14.5 Pts, 7.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast

Team Skinner:
Eric Leslie: G 6-3 23.0 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 2.8 Ast
Abdul Fox: G 6-6 17.7 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 2.7 Ast
Jeff Kent: C 6-10 14.7 Pts, 8.5 Reb, 1.8 Ast

Team Harrick:
Tyson Wheeler: SR G 5-10 14.9 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 6.0 Ast
Cat Mobley: G 6-4 17.2 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 2.6 Ast
ARD: F 6'6 13.2 Pts, 6.7 Reb, 2.6 Ast

Team Harrick 2:
Lamar Odom: F 6-10 17.6 Pts, 9.4 Reb, 3.8 Ast
Preston Murphy: G 6-1 10.9 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 4.3 Ast
Luther Clay: C 6-9 9.5 Pts, 6.0 Reb, 0.5 As

Team Duh:
Zach Marbury: G 6-3 16.9 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 2.6 Ast
Tavorris Bell: F 6-6 19.6 Pts, 5.7 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Tip Vinson: G 6-4 10.3 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 2.1 As

Team Baron:
Jimmy Baron: G 6-3 195 17.4 Pts, 2.7 Reb, 1.9 As
Will Daniels: F 6-8 8.6 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Delroy James: F 6-8 17.5 Pts, 7.9 Reb, 2.7 Ast

Team Hurley:
EC Matthews: G 6-5 14.9 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Hassan Martin: F 6-7 13.6 Pts, 6.8 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Jared Terrell: G 6-3 17.9 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 2.5 Ast
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: What URI NBA Jam (or 3 on 3) Roster Wins?

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I am tempted to go with the baron team to just shoot flames from the entire court

Relevant

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

As for my selection. I put them in tournament format. Did seeding based on my own rankings (Post '96 and Pre '96 brackets).

With the changes, I think things are a lot more competitive.

Things to think about:

Kraft's teams length.
Tyson/Cat were the only guard pair to both be drafted into the NBA.
Lamar Odom.
Jimmy is the best shooter.
Silk the all-time scoring leader.
T-Bell jumped over a car to dunk.

Breaking up Lamar changed things. I don't know how you even pick a "favorite" - but trying to keep with the speed of Tyson or Garrick could be problematic for most of the other guards here. Kraft's team's length causes their own level of issues.

Jimmy can camp out at half court and chuck 3's, and Will Daniels/Delroy presents a big problem matchup wise for most of the teams in trying to stay with them.

Hurley's team is so balanced and athletic that they won't be an easy out.

I am actually at a loss and will wait for other people's comments before I make a pick.
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Still have to go with the Harrick squad. I think there are 5 guys there that played in the NBA. 3 of them are on Harrick's squad. Yes, I know Tyson had a very short NBA career, but he's arguably the 2nd best player in URI history (between Tyson and Silk.)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rhodysurf wrote:I am tempted to go with the baron team to just shoot flames from the entire court

Relevant

I literally just fast forwarded through this and watched all Jimmy's 8 threes (one was a long two, but scored a 3).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Re: What URI NBA Jam (or 3 on 3) Roster Wins? (Update, 2 Harrick Teams)

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I was going to pick the Harrick team of Tyson, cat, and Odom, but with the change going with Penders squad. I know he was only 6’8” but how didn’t Kenny green play in the nba for a few years, I know undersized but damn was he incredible in the defensive end
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If Kenny had 2 great knees he probably would have played at least 12 years in the NBA he was that good
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Gold - Penders
Silver - Kraft
Bronze - Harrick 1
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

rhodysurf wrote:I am tempted to go with the baron team to just shoot flames from the entire court

Relevant

weird, i went to another vid and went to your page to go back to this one and its not listed under your videos.

Although re-watching that was a reminder just how long and athletic Delroy was. I really think he'd be too much for Hass 1 on 1...and how bad Duke leads the nation in punchable faces.

on topic, it's hard not to take Jimmy just for the fire shots, but gotta take Harrick #1. Though Sly vs Odom would be a treat
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Both Delroy and Jimmy were the best players on the floor that night. Delroy dominated that game. He dominated it like Mackal his freshman year.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Without being disrespectful, there is no team here that could stop Sly Williams and Jiggy Williamson two on two. I probably would have put John Nelson as their third for outside shooting, but it wouldn't matter. That format is perfect for Jiggy, and Sly is the most talented player ever for URI
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If the question is solely, "Who makes for the best NBA Jam team?", then the answer is Team Baron because of how the game mechanics work. There is a big benefit to being able to shoot 3s, and unless I'm mistaken, the combination of Jimmy Baron and Will Daniels probably had the best 3-point percentage among the trios listed. It also helps that Daniels would be a 'big' in the game, and he'd at least be able to attempt to block dunks at the rim.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:If the question is solely, "Who makes for the best NBA Jam team?", then the answer is Team Baron because of how the game mechanics work. There is a big benefit to being able to shoot 3s, and unless I'm mistaken, the combination of Jimmy Baron and Will Daniels probably had the best 3-point percentage among the trios listed. It also helps that Daniels would be a 'big' in the game, and he'd at least be able to attempt to block dunks at the rim.
I was thinking the same thing, if we are truly basing this on NBA Jam and not just 3 on 3 in real life. Big men were tough in NBA Jam sometimes, and you had to have that killer 3 point shooter.

By the way, sounds like there could be a 25th anniversary edition of NBA Jam in the works!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Jimmy baron doesn't get a shot off against Garrick.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:
SGreenwell wrote:If the question is solely, "Who makes for the best NBA Jam team?", then the answer is Team Baron because of how the game mechanics work. There is a big benefit to being able to shoot 3s, and unless I'm mistaken, the combination of Jimmy Baron and Will Daniels probably had the best 3-point percentage among the trios listed. It also helps that Daniels would be a 'big' in the game, and he'd at least be able to attempt to block dunks at the rim.
I was thinking the same thing, if we are truly basing this on NBA Jam and not just 3 on 3 in real life. Big men were tough in NBA Jam sometimes, and you had to have that killer 3 point shooter.

By the way, sounds like there could be a 25th anniversary edition of NBA Jam in the works!
Yeah! Should be good. They actually have a 'modern' version out for the PS3 - not sure if it made it to PS4, but it was a download-only game. It was the same old game with graphical and roster upgrades, and a few new moves, like being able to crossover and built-in alley-oops that made players more distinctive.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh my bad my vote was based if they played pickup 3 on 3 not a video game
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That 2009-2010 Baron Squad was SOLID. How do you not win with that? Ultimately I chose Penders squad. Its close with Harrick 1 and Hurley.
0 x
GO RAMS