Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
urirx
ARD

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by urirx »

Twisted, I saw on the A10 board you are about to start my favorite thread of the year "if the A10 ended today.." good luck with the effort cause other then 1,2,13,14 it gets real tough real quick!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bunch of good games today...IU and Mich State, set up for yet another close finish.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

twisted3829 wrote:PC is #29 in the live RPI (i know its not as reliable as expected rpi) but its a Q1 win as i type this

PC now up to #26. I think both live and expected have their benefits. don't think you can rely on expected only. otherwise why bother even playing the games?
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

#21 Kentucky lost to Mizzou. Our ranking should pull a little leapfrog...
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i'm thinking #19, outside chance of 18
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Arizona loses, there’s now been 8 ranked teams that have lost since Thursday.
0 x
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday was great day for URI OOC opponents as they went 9-0. The two lowest ranked opponents - Brown and Holy Cross - surprised as they both notched wins in road games they were expected to lose!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm still baffled that some people on here would prefer that PC lose than us pick up our second Q1 win. To each his own.

That Bonnies Duquense game was a blast to watch. I really hope Brendan Adams has ice in his veins like Jaylen does.

Duquense reminds me of us from a couple years ago..They can play with anyone, but lose a lot of close games. I really like their coach.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Sunday games in the A-10.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Seton Hall at #1 Villanova. 12 Noon. On Fox.

Iona at Marist. 12 Noon. . On ESPN3.

In Top 25 action:

Illinois at #17 Ohio State. 12 Noon. On FS1.

#25 Arizona State at Washington State. 4 PM. On ESPNU.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I think the A10 will be much improved next year...and we will be reloading.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This probably is not the place to have a long discussion about next year, nor do I really want to do that right now, but yes obviously we lose a lot but we return a LOT and have maybe our most talented incoming freshman class ever. The two pieces I think people are forgetting are Christion Thompson, who I believe is a very good player and could surprise people when he finally gets his opportunity and the open scholarship that could go to a grad transfer or JC player who could make an immediate impact. We could be as competitive for that type of player as any program in the country this offseason

I don't know if this season is replicable - we'll see how it plays out - but I think Rhody will be very good next year and with the A10 improving as anticipated there should be a lot more chances at wins to build the resume later in the season if it takes the team a little while to gel. With an improved A10, could be looking at another monster SOS so good opportunity to have good computer numbers again.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Don’t forget this still number of high-quality incoming recruits who have yet to commit to any program.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

TruePoint wrote:This probably is not the place to have a long discussion about next year, nor do I really want to do that right now, but yes obviously we lose a lot but we return a LOT and have maybe our most talented incoming freshman class ever. The two pieces I think people are forgetting are Christion Thompson, who I believe is a very good player and could surprise people when he finally gets his opportunity and the open scholarship that could go to a grad transfer or JC player who could make an immediate impact. We could be as competitive for that type of player as any program in the country this offseason

I don't know if this season is replicable - we'll see how it plays out - but I think Rhody will be very good next year and with the A10 improving as anticipated there should be a lot more chances at wins to build the resume later in the season if it takes the team a little while to gel. With an improved A10, could be looking at another monster SOS so good opportunity to have good computer numbers again.
Yup. I think Christion surprises a lot of people next year.

Also I'm thinking they use the open 18 spot on an impact grad transfer
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

That's why I said that the possibility of this new transfer rule passing, with players eligible to play right away, could be huge this year.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

An impact scorer ie guard/wing type would be what we need to keep the train rolling. Agree we have some great pieces coming back, but we will have to replace a lot of scoring from EC/Jared. I’m sure our staff will be surgical in their search.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Billyboy78 wrote:That's why I said that the possibility of this new transfer rule passing, with players eligible to play right away, could be huge this year.
I don't think this will be as cut and dry as it once appeared -- This week the Big 12 released a proposal that would give players the ability to transfer and gain immediate eligibility if their coach was fired or it he left for another school. I believe the rule did also state players would not be able to follow their coach to the school the left for. I could see this as more of a middle ground, rather than letting all players just run around like the wild west, it gives players the chance to do something in a situation they had no control over.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:That's why I said that the possibility of this new transfer rule passing, with players eligible to play right away, could be huge this year.
I don't think this will be as cut and dry as it once appeared -- This week the Big 12 released a proposal that would give players the ability to transfer and gain immediate eligibility if their coach was fired or it he left for another school. I believe the rule did also state players would not be able to follow their coach to the school the left for. I could see this as more of a middle ground, rather than letting all players just run around like the wild west, it gives players the chance to do something in a situation they had no control over.
Actually this is only fair to the players. I’m all for it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^should have always been that way...
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Back to the thread .... this Seton Hall - Villanova game is a good one.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yesterday's win over Duquesne marks the fourth straight win for St. Bonaventure as they attempt to get back in the A-10 race. With their 16-6 record, SBU has the other legitimate A-10 chance, besides URI, to get into the NCAAT. To accomplish this, the Bonnies will have continue to play well for the rest of season and their best shot for a marquee win is their home date with URI on the Feb 16; a game already circled in the pre-season, but with the Bonnies uneven start to A-10 play, the date takes on even more meaning. The Reilly Center is already sold out for the game.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Excited to be going to my first game in Olean! Go Rhody!
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ATPTourFan wrote:Excited to be going to my first game in Olean! Go Rhody!
That's great ATP! I hope we get a detailed report of your time up in the Himalayas!!!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Excited to be going to my first game in Olean! Go Rhody!
Careful of the bus drivers up there!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Iona won

Whoop whoop

98-64.

That was a pretty good win. Iona and I think charleston could definitely compete for a top 4 spot in the A-10 this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:
Good question Adam. Before I answer, I’d like be clear, is the Quadrant/RPI System you mention the new one that has its guidelines for 2017-18 selection? Or does the question also apply to selecting teams for 2016-17 and 2015-16?

And in addition, I assume in your question “the Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system for both selecting teams AND seeding teams- right? Thanks, preparing my answer in my head :-)
Adam I apologize for answering for you, but the answers seem so obvious and I would like to see ramsters answers to what I believe you are asking. By all means, jump in if I’m wrong.

Ramster are you serious? Why would Adam be asking about the quadrant system as it pertains to previous years? It only came into play for this year. And I also think it is safe to say your assumption is correct.
Correct, I am referring to selection for this season. And yes Ramster, selecting and seeding teams. All aspects of the selection process. And just to be clear again, I am referring only to what the selection committee looks at, not your personal opinion.
Adam,

Sorry to be late in responding. But this subject has caused me to read a lot of information on the selection process to learn what they look at - both last year and for this year..

The best article I found was from the NCAA.com from last March. And this year the Committee Members will follow the same rules. The implementation of Quadrants was added for this year. Members will still be allowed to look at vast amounts of information and there is no information that is off limits. They can look at RPI and AP Top 25 and ESPN Top 25 along with all the other data that is presented on the Team Sheets that are provided. Ultimately they vote their opinion.

Right on the front page of the website are these rankings:
Week 14 RPI and AP Top 10.png

Each member of the Division I men's basketball committee evaluates a vast amount of information during selection process. Their opinions -- developed through observations, discussions with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of data -- ultimately determine selections, seeding and bracketing.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... division-i
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course no information is off limits, and I don't doubt that they will use a vast amount of information in their process and "can" look at anything they want. Being in the AP Top 25 is good for name recognition and little else. But the AP poll being on the front page of ncaa.com means nothing in terms of the selection committee. My original question was whether wins against Top 25 teams really held any weight.

I would encourage you to check out this example of the team sheets that are used by the selection committee. You will notice that Top 25 rankings are not listed there. There is also not a number listed next to your opponent even if they were ranked at the time.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ction-tool

From the article:
We're here to help you understand one of the most important tools in assessing potential tournament teams -- the team sheet.

David Worlock, the Director of Media Coordination and Statistics at the NCAA, calls team sheet a "visual snapshot" of a team's résumé. The sheets are used as the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee meets to determine the 36 at-large bids and the seeds for all 68 teams in the NCAA tournament.

The team sheet has been a useful way for the committee to put two teams side-by-side and have an easy way to visually compare their tournament credentials.
https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default ... guide1.pdf
3 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

I feel a lot better about our seeding now that I’ve seen that sheet. I like that it highlights the RPI and the OOC schedule. I think we really shine in those two areas.

I’m sure this has been posted somewhere already but, the current team sheets can be found here. It’s ranked by RPI so we’re on page 6.

http://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Sta ... Sheets.pdf
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......how are the Committee Members selected?......how long does each serve?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

and down goes Kentucky....again....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote:.......how are the Committee Members selected?......how long does each serve?
Committee Members Serve a Term of 5 Years

I am not sure how they are selected....
Current Selection Committee Members 2018.png
Current Selection Committee Members 2018.png (61.8 KiB) Viewed 879 times

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... s-schedule
0 x