Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

If PC were to lose every game like a lot of people want then there wouldn't be a rivalry. No one would care about PC at all. Having them be a decent team makes the rivalry fun. Hating them is no fun otherwise.
3 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Good that Charleston pulled out a big CAA win at Northeastern. Matthews is an amazing spot but man it looks like a weird place to watch a basketball game.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:it seems most of ramster's support is coming from people who want to say "bye bye PC bye bye" or "i would rather PC not be in the ncaa tournament". these are the folks happy with last night's final. These folks will root against PC the rest of the way and don't care how that effects URI. people that are paying attention to quadrants and what the committee is now saying is important are disappointed in last night's final. these people will continue to root for PC the rest of the way...hoping they win to the benefit of URI. It's that simple and neither side is going to convince the other they are wrong.
I don't really care if anyone supports me or not. Many people did not agree with me on this board when I said we needed a Practice Facility at URI to keep up with Dayton, VCU, UCONN, PC............but that's ok, everyone does not have to agree, it's a message board. I still believe it and was thrilled to hear an announcement is in the making.

I have tried to lay out a fact based approach on why I would want Seton Hall highly ranked like Cincinnati last year. That's all.

I have seen so many, many articles written at selection Sunday time where they say for each team on the border or even for seeding purposes:
Big Wins and Bad Losses
Rhode Island
Big Wins - Seton Hall Ranked #15
Bad Losses - None

This is the way the articles will be written. They are not going to list teams ranked 35 and 50 as Big Wins, at least I don't think so.
Last year we had Cincinnati as a Big Win but we had bad losses to Fordham and LaSalle. This meant that we had to win the A10 Tourney to get a bid (most likely)

If Seton Hall falls down to 35 or 40 then this is no longer a Big Win.
So if you subscribe to wanting a team in the Top 15 in the Country you have two choices for last nights game:
Pick Seton Hall
Pick PC
Seton Hall has the Top 20 RPI already, PC is 51.

If you don't subscribe to the idea that it is better to have a Team You Beat in the Top 15 and you want to go to the Quadrant logic and have both teams be more like 28 and 30 ranked then you want PC to win, simple as that. You want two Quadrant 2 teams you root for PC last night and in a couple weeks. You want a Top 15 on your Resume that you beat you obviously root for Seton Hall.

I want the Team in the Top 15 Like Cincinnati last year.

If Seton Hall slumps and falls apart it's all for naught anyway.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ramster wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:it seems most of ramster's support is coming from people who want to say "bye bye PC bye bye" or "i would rather PC not be in the ncaa tournament". these are the folks happy with last night's final. These folks will root against PC the rest of the way and don't care how that effects URI. people that are paying attention to quadrants and what the committee is now saying is important are disappointed in last night's final. these people will continue to root for PC the rest of the way...hoping they win to the benefit of URI. It's that simple and neither side is going to convince the other they are wrong.
I don't really care if anyone supports me or not. Many people did not agree with me on this board when I said we needed a Practice Facility at URI to keep up with Dayton, VCU, UCONN, PC............but that's ok, everyone does not have to agree, it's a message board. I still believe it and was thrilled to hear an announcement is in the making.

I have tried to lay out a fact based approach on why I would want Seton Hall highly ranked like Cincinnati last year. That's all.

I have seen so many, many articles written at selection Sunday time where they say for each team on the border or even for seeding purposes:
Big Wins and Bad Losses
Rhode Island
Bad Losses - None

This is the way the articles will be written. They are not going to list teams ranked 35 and 50 as Big Wins, at least I don't think so.
Last year we had Cincinnati as a Big Win but we had bad losses to Fordham and LaSalle. This meant that we had to win the A10 Tourney to get a bid (most likely)

So if you subscribe to wanting a team in the Top 15 in the Country you have two choices for last nights game:
Pick Seton Hall
Pick PC

If you don't subscribe to the idea that it is better to have a Team You Beat in the Top 15 and you want to go to the Quadrant logic and have both teams be more like 28 and 30 ranked then you want PC to win, simple as that. You want two Quadrant 2 teams you root for PC last night and in a couple weeks. You want a Top 15 on your Resume that you beat you obviously root for Seton Hall.

Ramster again comparing SH to Cincy last year. That's fine, but you keep conveniently ignoring the other good wins we had last year (Dayton, VCU 2...both had sub 35 RPIs) compared to the only other good win we have this year (SB) Those 3 wins were all better than this year's St. Bonnie win. In fact, whether you like it or not, PC is our 2nd best win. Seton Hall isn't going anywhere. They aren't dropping to 35 or 40. We need someone else to keep St. Bonnie's company. PC is the only team with a chance. And they are not a 51 RPI as you continue to contend. They are at 34 and a win last night puts that under 30. I don't care what their "expected" RPI is. They still have to play the games. You want what you want and that is fine. Just understand, that as many others on the board have told you, the selection committee does not use your logic. The selection committee is going to look at quadrants not how a team did against the AP top 25. They never did...or at least not since RPIs have been used. Just because, as you admitted, you don't get quadrants, doesn't make you right. you are on an island alone with PC haters.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

With the WSU loss tonight it will be an absolute joke if any voter has them above rhody in the top 25 next week. It's already a joke they are 8 spots ahead of us with a worse record/schedule.

THat is assuming we beat VCU tomorrow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah hoping we jump ahead of the Shockers !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Big Wins and Bad Losses
Rhode Island
Bad Losses - None

Pick Seton Hall
Pick PC

Ramster again comparing SH to Cincy last year. That's fine, but you keep conveniently ignoring the other good wins we had last year (Dayton, VCU 2...both had sub 35 RPIs) compared to the only other good win we have this year (SB) Those 3 wins were all better than this year's St. Bonnie win. In fact, whether you like it or not, PC is our 2nd best win. Seton Hall isn't going anywhere. They aren't dropping to 35 or 40. We need someone else to keep St. Bonnie's company. PC is the only team with a chance. And they are not a 51 RPI as you continue to contend. They are at 34 and a win last night puts that under 30. I don't care what their "expected" RPI is. They still have to play the games. You want what you want and that is fine. Just understand, that as many others on the board have told you, the selection committee does not use your logic. The selection committee is going to look at quadrants not how a team did against the AP top 25. They never did...or at least not since RPIs have been used. Just because, as you admitted, you don't get quadrants, doesn't make you right. you are on an island alone with PC haters.
RhodyRam86,
I am fine with being on an island alone, it's just my opinion
I have tried to share my logic and keep it fact based. If it wasn't PC and another team like Marquette or Butler I would still feel the same.

You keep mentioning PC haters in connection with this like it could be tilting the logic, but by the same token do you have a preference for PC besides that it would help URI's RPI? In otherwords, do you have a prejudice for PC like you root for them anyway? There are fans who root for both to represent the State - nothing wrong with that.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ramster, would you agree that it is fact based to say that the selection committee does not care about Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system?
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote:UNC-Asheville wins at Campbell 64-57. Charleston wins at Northeastern 69-64 and their RPI jumps all the way to 90.

Going to keep doing this since now I am interested - with UNC-Asheville and Radford winning tonight over Campbell and Gardner-Webb, respectively, Campbell and Gardner-Webb drop to two games back of the Big South leaders. Winthrop falls out of that group after getting crushed at Liberty, so now it is a two-way tie at the top between UNC-Asheville and Radford. UNC-Asheville's win over Campbell was especially big as a road win - we all know about conference games on the road, and a loss would have dropped them into a three-way tie in second along with Campbell and Winthrop. MaCio Teague had 7 threes and 36 points.

UNC-A should get to pad its record a little in the next two times out: they play the two teams tied for last in the conference in the coming week before the big game hosting Radford. Radford for its part has to go on the road to play third place Winthrop, which is one game behind the pace, before hosting a mediocre High Point team in the lead up to the showdown at Asheville. Radford crushed UNC-A in their first meeting at Radford earlier this season.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Ramster, would you agree that it is fact based to say that the selection committee does not care about Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system?
Good question Adam. Before I answer, I’d like be clear, is the Quadrant/RPI System you mention the new one that has its guidelines for 2017-18 selection? Or does the question also apply to selecting teams for 2016-17 and 2015-16?

And in addition, I assume in your question “the Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system for both selecting teams AND seeding teams- right? Thanks, preparing my answer in my head :-)
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ASU looking like the 08 Rams.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They've come back to earth with a thud....
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Ramster...I grew up solely as a PC fan. The 4 years I was at URI 82-86) the Rams won a combined 36 games. I did not become a passionate URI fan until the ‘87/‘88 team and have been since. I now root for PC with the same passion I rooted for URI while I was in school. Very little. I would never root for PC if a PC win would effect URI negativity I do not live and die with their wins and losses. I don’t post or read their boards. I don’t even read articles about them in the Projo. I certainly don’t have disdain for the team and I didn’t lose a wink of sleep when they lost to SH the other night. While I would rather they won than lost games, my focus on this board is solely on how their wins help URI.

And though you didn’t ask, I don’t necessarily believe your argument is based in hatred for PC. I just firmly believe you are misinformed as to what is important when it comes to selection/seeding.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This is a battle of facts against emotion, and after 20 years in public relations I know that emotion wins every time.

My emotions make me hope that hideous, disgusting institution in the former mental hospital loses its next 200 games. And that's a fact.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
adam914 wrote:Ramster, would you agree that it is fact based to say that the selection committee does not care about Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system?
Good question Adam. Before I answer, I’d like be clear, is the Quadrant/RPI System you mention the new one that has its guidelines for 2017-18 selection? Or does the question also apply to selecting teams for 2016-17 and 2015-16?

And in addition, I assume in your question “the Top 25 wins and only follows the RPI/Quadrant system for both selecting teams AND seeding teams- right? Thanks, preparing my answer in my head :-)
Adam I apologize for answering for you, but the answers seem so obvious and I would like to see ramsters answers to what I believe you are asking. By all means, jump in if I’m wrong.

Ramster are you serious? Why would Adam be asking about the quadrant system as it pertains to previous years? It only came into play for this year. And I also think it is safe to say your assumption is correct.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:This is a battle of facts against emotion, and after 20 years in public relations I know that emotion wins every time.

My emotions make me hope that hideous, disgusting institution in the former mental hospital loses its next 200 games. And that's a fact.
That's not just nutty....that's hardcore nutty...
Nose...meet face....
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

reef wrote:Yeah hoping we jump ahead of the Shockers !!
A win tonight and I think that happens
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There is only one game on Friday night in the A-10 and the Top 25!!

#22 URI at VCU. 7 PM. On ESPN2.

Two games involving URI OOC opponents:

Quinnipiac at Iona. 7 PM. On ESPNU.

Brown at Pennsylvania. 7 PM.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Adam I apologize for answering for you, but the answers seem so obvious and I would like to see ramsters answers to what I believe you are asking. By all means, jump in if I’m wrong.

Ramster are you serious? Why would Adam be asking about the quadrant system as it pertains to previous years? It only came into play for this year. And I also think it is safe to say your assumption is correct.
Correct, I am referring to selection for this season. And yes Ramster, selecting and seeding teams. All aspects of the selection process. And just to be clear again, I am referring only to what the selection committee looks at, not your personal opinion.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Correct, I am referring to selection for this season. And yes Ramster, selecting and seeding teams. All aspects of the selection process. And just to be clear again, I am referring only to what the selection committee looks at, not your personal opinion.
Adam,
Sorry, not ignoring but work got a lot in the way today. I’m still studying this and reading information.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

how did the rest of the top 25 do tonight? oh wait, never mind....
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Brown is in OT at Penn.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday action in the A-10:

Dayton at UMass. 2 PM.

Davidson at George Washington. 4 PM.

Saint Joseph's at La Salle. 4 PM. On CBSSN.

George Mason at Richmond. 4:30 PM. On NBCSN.

St. Bonaventure at Duquesne. 6:30 PM. On NBCSN.

Fordham at Saint Louis. 8 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

PC at Marquette. 2:30 PM. On FS1.

#2 Virginia at Syracuse. 4 PM. On ACCNE.

Alabama at #23 Florida. 4 PM. On ESPN.

Holy Cross at Loyola (MD). 4 PM.

Presbyterian at UNC Asheville. 4:30 PM.

Brown at Princeton. 6 PM. On ESPN3.

Florida Gulf Coast at Jacksonville. 6 PM. On ESPN3.

Charleston at Hofstra. 7 PM.

Nevada at Colorado State. 8 PM. On ESPNU.

In Top 25 action:

#4 Duke. vs. St. John's at MSG. 12 Noon. On Fox.

Oklahoma State at #7 Kansas. 12 Noon. ON CBS.

#8 Cincinnati at UConn. 12 Noon. On ESPN2.

#10 Texas Tech at TCU. 2 PM. On ESPNU.

#20 Clemson at Wake Forest. 2 PM. On ACCNE.

#21 Kentucky at Missouri. 2 PM. On CBS.

Texas at #10 Texas Tech. 9 PM. On ESPNU.

Minnesota at #24 Michigan. 2:30 PM. On Fox.

#3 Purdue at Rutgers. 4 PM. On BTN.

Kansas State at #15 West Virginia. 4 PM. On ESPN2.

Georgetown at #6 Xavier . 6 PM. On CBSSN.

Ole Miss at #18 Tennessee. 6 PM. On SECN.

#12 Oklahoma at Texas. 6:15 PM. On ESPN.

Pittsburgh at #19 North Carolina. 8 PM. On ACCNE.

#6 Michigan State at Indiana. 8:15 PM. On ESPN.

Vanderbilt at #11 Auburn. 8:30 PM. On SECN.

#13 St. Mary's at San Diego. 9 PM.

BYU at #14 Gonzaga. 8 PM. On ESPN2.

#9 Arizona at Washington. 10:30 PM. On PAC12.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lots of time left...but St John's hanging with Duke.... up 9 with 10 to play
That Shamari (sp) Ponds dude can play....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Lots of time left...but St John's hanging with Duke.... up 9 with 10 to play
Talk about a home game for Duke. Embarrassing for the johnnies.
0 x
mrhodesnyy
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by mrhodesnyy »

Always good to see MSG rockin
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let's say goodnight to the Duke Blue Devils !!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody has a better record than Duke and no bad losses (vs losses to BC and St John's) :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote:ASU looking like the 08 Rams.
Watch them (ASU) play defense, and you will really appreciate Dan’s Rams.

They have great guards. They also have some size, but that size doesn’t really translate into rim protection. Still, they’re in year 3, so still on track. The OOC just got some people hyped.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

theblueram wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:Lots of time left...but St John's hanging with Duke.... up 9 with 10 to play
Talk about a home game for Duke. Embarrassing for the johnnies.
Duke sends a lot of grads to Wall Street. This series has been mostly long standing. The arena used to be half and half. With the jonnies so down this year, the fact you saw mostly red in the lower tv part of the bowl was excellent
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Umass got lucky this went to OT. They got the stop then walked the ball up too slow and got a 10 second violation while unguarded. Luckily for them Crutcher left the game winner short
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

UMass/Dayton is wild right now.

PC/Marquette is way more wild than it should be. PC had this thing wrapped up 10 minutes ago and now it feels like they're in a game they have to escape.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice win for PC helps URI at least
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Down goes Kentucky!
1 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

PC is #29 in the live RPI (i know its not as reliable as expected rpi) but its a Q1 win as i type this
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Current “in game” on live rpi has us trending to #6 ahead of Purdue and duke
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Mason up by 12 over Richmond midway through the second half.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Alabama comes back to beat Florida!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:UNC-Asheville wins at Campbell 64-57. Charleston wins at Northeastern 69-64 and their RPI jumps all the way to 90.

Going to keep doing this since now I am interested - with UNC-Asheville and Radford winning tonight over Campbell and Gardner-Webb, respectively, Campbell and Gardner-Webb drop to two games back of the Big South leaders. Winthrop falls out of that group after getting crushed at Liberty, so now it is a two-way tie at the top between UNC-Asheville and Radford. UNC-Asheville's win over Campbell was especially big as a road win - we all know about conference games on the road, and a loss would have dropped them into a three-way tie in second along with Campbell and Winthrop. MaCio Teague had 7 threes and 36 points.

UNC-A should get to pad its record a little in the next two times out: they play the two teams tied for last in the conference in the coming week before the big game hosting Radford. Radford for its part has to go on the road to play third place Winthrop, which is one game behind the pace, before hosting a mediocre High Point team in the lead up to the showdown at Asheville. Radford crushed UNC-A in their first meeting at Radford earlier this season.
UNC-A defends its home court against Presbyterian while Radford gets crushed at Winthrop. UNC-A now alone in first; Radford drops into a tie with Winthrop for second place one game back. Gardner-Webb stays two games off the pace with a close home win against Charleston Southern. Campbell can join Gardner-Webb tonight when it plays at middle-of-the-pack High Point.

BTW, URI's RPI as of this post is #6.

Crazy end to GMU/Richmond game.
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The A10 had a lot of crazy endings today. Glad we played on Friday and didn't have to be lumped with A10 crazy or top 25 crazy. We got to chart our own path!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dukes lead the Bonnie’s by 1 at the half. They were down by double digits early. Dambrot really has them playing tough.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

urirx wrote:The A10 had a lot of crazy endings today. Glad we played on Friday and didn't have to be lumped with A10 crazy or top 25 crazy. We got to chart our own path!
Going to be the same next two Fridays...national TV...only ranked team playing, only A10 team playing... 8-)
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
urirx wrote:The A10 had a lot of crazy endings today. Glad we played on Friday and didn't have to be lumped with A10 crazy or top 25 crazy. We got to chart our own path!
Going to be the same next two Fridays...national TV...only ranked team playing, only A10 team playing... 8-)

Next THREE fridays - Davidson, @SBU, and Dayton
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very solid win by the Alabama Crimson Tide
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Next THREE fridays - Davidson, @SBU, and Dayton
3rd week, there is another ranked (as of now, anyway) team playing....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Top 25 teams dropping like Mike Tyson opponents.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not really a game of interest but Hoyas blew a lead and it’s now going to OT. Gtown unis are really ugly.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Good to see Bonnie's get the win in a crazy finish.

40 from Jaylen Adams. Poor Duquesne - lost on last second three twice in two weeks.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Great game with Bona vs dukes, 84-81 Bonnies

Jaylen Adams just dropped 40
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

it is crazy that on Friday we will be playing to be 4 clear for the A10 regular season championship
1 x