1/30 | UMass Minutemen | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: 1/30 | UMass Minutemen | 6:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Section104 »

8 games left. 4 on ESPN2 and 4 on CBS sports network. Great marketing for our program and 0 true easy game remain. We should be battle tested heading to DC + NCAA Tournament
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Another reminder - UMass beat Providence by 9 and Georgia (who should be a tournament team) by 10. There are no easy road games in conference and although the A10 is down there are still teams that can play well and take down far superior teams
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Defense is not getting it done....although UMass played as well as they could play...24-25 FT's?

Playing only as well as they need to.....we shot 61%.....wtf.....and still had to sweat it.

It's a win! Going to have to step it up Friday though.

Maybe screw kenpom...but it's used to seed teams in the dance....

And Rambone, the only 1 they missed was the last one that they intentionally missed
I remember them missing another one midway through the 2nd half. Is the fact that it was a lane violation mean no shot so isn't in the stat as a miss?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The only thing that bothers me is almost blowing a big lead the last 3 minutes....that's something they haven't done in a long long time....

Yes Blue Man we won....great...but we have some things to clean up and soon.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

adam914 wrote:
rhodysurf wrote:kenpom is gunna plummet after these last few games
Curious where you think we'll end up? At 32 right now. What is plummet territory? 60? 70? 80? 100+?
To be clear I am totally happy with the win. I am more mad about kenpom becoming the end all be all for rankings for certain people because even though uri won the last two games they were 26 going in and they will be around 35 going out, even though they won tough games.

Plummet wasn’t the right word haha
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

The last two games we’ve had costly turnovers with Terrel driving and getting called for a charge. I’d like to see JT pull up or the ball in Dowtin’s hands there
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote:The only thing that bothers me is almost blowing a big lead the last 3 minutes....that's something they haven't done in a long long time....

Yes Blue Man we won....great...but we have some things to clean up and soon.
Key word “almost” - last year they blow that game
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

104, the one on one stuff just doesn't work too well......trying to force stuff instead of sharing the ball.....we don't do hero ball well.

We won the Duquesne game with a great pass to the open man....

rhodylaw...true....but let's not push our luck
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rhodysurf wrote:kenpom is gunna plummet after these last few games
Dropped 2 spots to 34 so far.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

A road win is a good win. I want to provide a cogent recap but I am a manchild giggling because someone's phone autocorrected fatts to farts. Let's all take a breath and enjoy the sun shining over Kingston.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote:
Yes Blue Man we won....great.
Fixed it for you!

Let me know when “pretty” wins start to count more than “ugly” wins.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

So we’re on a 12 game winning streak and in a slump at the same time? It’s hard to bring the super intense defense all the time. Hope we can bring the A game for VCU think we’re going to need it
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Yes I noticed the Fatts farts thing and got a good laugh too
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Dowtin was a wizard tonight. Could have easily had two or three more assists
2 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Blue Man wrote:I’ve been on this board long enough to know when I’m going to have to read poop, so I will ignore the previous posts and just point out how nice it is that our program has reached a point where we are bitching about how we win conference games on the road.

:lol: :) :lol: I was thinking the same thing. We took care of business until UMass put on a crazy effort in the last 2 minutes, but we still won. That’s a huge difference from our teams past. Conference road wins are very very hard regardless of the opponent. We are every A10’s team national championship this year, so we should expect their best effort to the end of the game, we saw that tonight. I’m so glad we are playing these type of games now. If we blew out every team in conference play, how could we expect to make a run in March? Our FT% is better and this team wins close games, it will make a difference in March. Here is some math:

1988- Sweet 16
1998- Elite 8
2008- CFL, Doesn’t Count :evil: :x
2018- Final 4

Book San Antonio now!!!!!!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t understand the references to “hero ball” we assisted on 73% of our made baskets tonight. A great number. Dan’s biggest job is keeping this team on edge and these types of games, while painstaking for fans, help him do that. No one is walking through their conference winning all games in runaway fashion. We had them down 15 and took foot off the gas. It happens.
9 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote:
ramster wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Defense is not getting it done....although UMass played as well as they could play...24-25 FT's?

Playing only as well as they need to.....we shot 61%.....wtf.....and still had to sweat it.

It's a win! Going to have to step it up Friday though.

Maybe screw kenpom...but it's used to seed teams in the dance....

And Rambone, the only 1 they missed was the last one that they intentionally missed
I remember them missing another one midway through the 2nd half. Is the fact that it was a lane violation mean no shot so isn't in the stat as a miss?
On the post game wrap up show Don Kaull said that the 1 miss that UMASS had was the intentional miss

I went to the play by play log and it shows the Pipkins miss. Pipkins was 8-9 and this was the miss.

0:05 Luwane Pipkins made Free Throw. 85 - 83
0:05 Luwane Pipkins missed Free Throw. 85 - 83
0:01 Rhode Island Deadball Team Rebound. 85 - 83
0:00 End of Game 85 - 83
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Nice to beat umass twice in a season.

I thought Umass just made insane shots all night.

Awesome Rhody can win when Umass had 2-3 kids unconscious.

Losing the lead at the end is annoying.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RhodyKyle wrote:A road win is a good win. I want to provide a cogent recap but I am a manchild giggling because someone's phone autocorrected fatts to farts. Let's all take a breath and enjoy the sun shining over Kingston.
That was me, and I just left it. I needed the humor with Uass breathing down our throats there.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Man, UMass played the best 2 minutes of basketball I've seen all year. Give them credit - especially with a 7-man man roster. :shock:
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

And give us credit for hanging on. We really earned a W against a team that did everything humanly possible to win.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

0-10 and undermanned St Johns up vs #6 Xavier with less than 9 minutes to go. Sound familiar. Conference play, shit happens.
2 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

bigappleram wrote:0-10 and undermanned St Johns up vs #6 Xavier with less than 9 minutes to go. Sound familiar. Conference play, shit happens.
AND 8-13 Vandy up on UK

AND 11-10 Ole Miss playing Auburn too close for comfort
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

As much as URI drove me crazy these last two games, it is always a good reminder that losing in conference happens, you will have crazy results. I think the A10 narrative gets into my head a bit though as we won't get the benefit of "anything can happen in conference play"
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
ramster wrote:

On the post game wrap up show Don Kaull said that the 1 miss that UMASS had was the intentional miss

I went to the play by play log and it shows the Pipkins miss. Pipkins was 8-9 and this was the miss.

0:05 Luwane Pipkins made Free Throw. 85 - 83
0:05 Luwane Pipkins missed Free Throw. 85 - 83
0:01 Rhode Island Deadball Team Rebound. 85 - 83
0:00 End of Game 85 - 83
Man, I'm getting old and my memory is fading. I could have sworn they missed one early in the 2nd half. I guess a lane violation does count as a miss in the book too.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

steviep123 wrote:Man, they nearly blew a 14 point lead. Started with 2 misses by Stan (or was it the front end of a 1 and 1?). 7 straight UMass points. Couple of other miss freebies and a wild 3 pointer off a few rebounds. Got real lucky there boys. Berry and Langevine needed to box out better on that and good thing for the lane violation. Still, if you're up 12 at the U4, you really need to close it out and don't let a team back in it. Hopefully they learned this lesson.
Can't do the same against VCU Friday.
Rhody’s last FG was at 6:58. The strategy of running the clock down and going one-on-one didn’t work. Dan started the clock burn too early. We had the momentum and gave it up. We were moving the ball on offense and our D was playing aggressive.
With 3:42 to go we were still up 14 (80-66). While we were trying to run time off the clock, UMass scored 17 points!
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

bigappleram wrote:0-10 and undermanned St Johns up vs #6 Xavier with less than 9 minutes to go. Sound familiar. Conference play, shit happens.
To reiterate BAR point, conf play is a bitch. Vandy is up 9 at Kentucky right now

I’m not pleased with how we closed this one out tonight, but seasons before this we would have coughed this one up and lost, 18-3 and onto vcu
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Pipkins missed a FT in the first half with 3:31 to play. His miss at the end must not have counted as a missed FT because of the lane violation.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice to see Jeff Dowtin get a Double-Double tonight and he hit a career high in assists with 10.

Jeff had 9 Assists 3 times this year against Holy Cross, St Bonaventure and George Washington.

Plus he shot the 3 great tonight plus 8-10 FTs. Just keeps getting better.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

You guys, leave doombone alone, he's just going back to his default mode. And sure there are things to clean up from game to game, that's coaching and being coached, which is happening and we're winning these close games, that's what matters bone. This is unfamiliar territory for most of us, it's really only happened in my life time with Penders and Harrick. This was a big time win on the road, every team has us as one of their biggest games of the year at this point. I don't care if our average margin of victory is 1.5pts the rest of the season if we keep winning.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

What a weird game. To shoot 61% and only win by 2? UMass had 6 scholarship players with a walk-on getting meaningful minutes.

Getting showing by Rhody fans.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We need a much better effort vs VCU and real good games from both EC and Jared. When is the last time they played great together? As a matter of fact we will need everyone's A game. The VCU crowd will be a major factor.
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Get farts in.
My thoughts exactly.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

9 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Bill Koch just dropped the mic!!
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

It took UK overtime to beat Vandy by 2 at home, so there you go.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

UMASS shoots 51% fg, 56.3% from 3, 96% from the line and out rebounded Rhody, and Umass still loses at home. Resilient bunch of rams.
2 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

eli#10 wrote:We need a much better effort vs VCU and real good games from both EC and Jared. When is the last time they played great together? As a matter of fact we will need everyone's A game. The VCU crowd will be a major factor.
Last time they both played really well was 10 days ago in our win at Dayton, so...it isn't like its been years or something. But, agreed it would be good to see another installment of that series Friday night.

I'm definitely understanding of the feeling that some people have that things are trending in a direction where that VCU feels like a loss - VCU seems to be trending up, they are still a top-of-the-league team even thought they (and the league) are down, their place is always a tough place to play, we seem to be flirting with blowing one of these games at some point and haven't put together a full 40 minutes for a few games.

My counterpoint to that, I guess, is that possibly this team right now needs a game like at VCU to get itself focused and geared up to play the way they can when all the pistons are firing. The last "good" game they played was at Dayton, a similar scenario to this VCU game, although VCU is better this year. The Fordham game they did have last year's meltdown to keep them somewhat focused and while that effort wasn't bad, it was far from perfect. But Duquesne game and a game in front of 426 people against a UMass team you just walloped a couple weeks ago might not get your juices flowing. Not making an excuse, because you have to get yourself up for every opponent and you see what happens when you don't. It is human nature though to have your focus wax and wane a little based on the level of threat you're facing.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Boys...a lane violation counts as a turnover. A lane violation on a FT that is made (or missed) does not count as a missed FT.

It's technically a team turnover.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good game to be at tonight...Rhody was awesome, except for at the very beginning and the very end. I think there may have been more Rhody fans at tonight's game, than there were total fans at last year's game. Was wondering if the zooMass-ers would have stormed the court if they won, glad to not have to find out. A road win is a good win.....10-0 on the way to 18-0....neeexxxt!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote:I'm actually liking we are being taken to task. Harden these guys up for NCAAT play.
Agreed. Sure they're not facing tournament caliber teams in the A-10, but opponents exposing some potential weaknesses so that Dan can clean them up (all the while URI is still winning) is fine with me. Plus, some added experience in "close-and-late" situations never hurts either.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice road conference win vs one of our top rivals

Not the way we want to close it out but hopefully DH uses it as a great teaching point
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I haven't read Bill's game story yet to know whether he quoted Dan on this, but please go to 6:27 of this video and listen to Dan talk about Pipkins' attempt to self-rebound his FT at the end of the game. Man, I love this guy.

2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The reason I think Dan was pissed at Jared was Jared wasn't closing fast enough on Pierre. Dan yanked him right after Pierre hit a 3 and Jared was late getting there. Dan just kind of stared Jared down. It was when he put him back in the game when he did the "you better wake up", twice.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote:Pipkins missed a FT in the first half with 3:31 to play. His miss at the end must not have counted as a missed FT because of the lane violation.
You are right rhody83.
It was said on the Rhody post game show that the intentional miss was the only miss all night but that was incorrect.

In the gorhody box score, play by play, the missed shot is not listed as a turnover for Pipkins, not a missed free throw.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Curry Hicks Sage wrote:UMass fan here.

No other way to say it: we are in as precarious predicament as any UMass team I've ever seen (been watching them for 25 seasons now). We started the year with 9 scholarship players and a new coach. About a month before the year started, Jaylen Brantley, a fifth year senior transfer from Maryland who was absolutely going to be our starting PG, was ruled out for life due to a previously undetected heart condition. Rashaan Holloway, our center with all conference talent (if not always all conference effort) was then out all preseason with a broken thumb. He returned and did his usual 10 and 5 thing but never really dominated in the way we had hoped. Then he had academic issues and stopped playing by the third game of conference play. Initially the team rallied in his absence, winning three straight in shocking fashion (double digit comebacks in all three). Eventually our lack of size and depth was going to wear on us and it did, as we've now lost four straight--all in ugly fashion. Making matters worse is that Holloway is now done for the year, having been ruled academically ineligible. Unclear if he returns next season. And for the second straight game we are without Chris Baldwin. Baldwin has been something of a jekyll and hyde act all year. He was highly recruited out of HS and spurned a West Virginia offer to come be a part of last year's decorated, top 30 recruiting class (a class which basically all transferred when Kellogg left) but has never really gotten his shit together on both ends. Still he's an athletic big who shoots 35 or 38 percent from 3 and losing him will hurt. We have four guys sitting out (three of whom could be starters next year) and two talented recruits coming in so the fan base was always viewing this as a bridge year. Then, shockingly, McCall was masterful in the early going, somehow getting ten wins out of this frankly not talented roster. People got overly excited prematurely and now things have come crashing back to earth. Truth is I had always predicted 10 wins this year and we may end the year with 14 straight losses and ten wins total. It's simply that dire right now.

Thankfully we still have Pipkins, who has emerged as a sure-thing first team all league guy this year and has single handedly willed us to three or four wins this year. Stop him and we're pretty much done. The other two reliable guys this year have been Carl Pierre, a smooth shooting LIGHTS OUT three point shooter who didn't have a single D1 offer until April when McCall swooped in and offered. He's averaging almost 12 a game and could be remembered as a Jaylen Adams type in that he truly slipped through the cracks. He's still a true freshman though and isn't always up to par on the defensive end just yet. And without a true PG on this team (Pip is better off the ball) UMass has a ton of trouble getting into sets or forcing teams to rotate on D. That's even more pronounced when Baldwin is out since he's a three point threat. Without him, Pip and Pierre are the only threats from deep so teams can overplay them and back WAY off our other guards, none of whom can shoot at all. Malik Hines, our center, has been totally solid all year but probably won't go nuts offensively. He's an 8 and 6 type of guy pretty consistently. The other rotation guys include Unique McLean (a freakishly athletic freshman who is maybe the greatest leaper I've ever seen but literally can't hit the broad side of a barn from anywhere beyond 3 feet), Khaleah Turner Morris (a huge freshman who plays 5 minutes a game tops), and CJ Anderson (a senior guard who can get into the lane and score sometimes but shouldn't have ever been asked to be anything more than a 6th or 7th man glue guy). Ray Miller, a former manager, gets 25 or more minutes a game now. He'll occasionally hit a corner three but against good opponents, he understandably is a step or two behind. McLean and Anderson are DK recruits and can't really shoot or take people off the bounce, two prized characteristics in McCall's offense.

All of this is to say I am STUNNED that ya'll are only 10.5 point favorites. Frankly, if it's within 10 it's because UMass has gone bonkers from deep and if UMass gets that hot they may just win. But let's be real. Our fan base is very much focused on next year and it's a weeknight in Amherst, meaning our fans (a huge portion of whom live 90 minutes or more from campus) won't be there. Maybe you'll see a late push to bring in some students (ya'll are ranked after all) but the place will more than likely be morgue-like and we haven't had a margin under 13 in the last four. That includes a 13 point loss to Fordham and a 19 point home loss to St Louis. We were favored in both games. I do expect UMass to play loose and if Pierre and Pipkins can get hot there's a chance this one's close, but if Rhody turns us over early this could be a 75-45 type of affair very quickly. Frankly you didn't even play brilliantly at the Ryan Center and you still beat us with ease.

I desperately hope we stun you but it'd be a catastrophic setback to your seeding hopes if we did. Next year, however, this rivalry will be great again. I expect five of the six guys coming in to be regular rotation players and Pip and Pierre are underclassmen so UMass has a lot to look forward to. It's just really, really dire right now.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote:UMASS shoots 51% fg, 56.3% from 3, 96% from the line and out rebounded Rhody, and Umass still loses at home. Resilient bunch of rams.
Some morning-afterthoughts:

-- Once again: Where would we be without Andre Berry?
-- umAss made ridiculous shots all night.
-- umAss played the last four minutes as if a second handful of greenies kicked in. Meanwhile, we stopped playing.
-- I said it before we played them in our place: Pipkins scares me. And if C.W. McCall gets him some help, this team can be real good.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Last 2 games in a row show that we are beatable, which puts a bigger target on our back. Both games had great finishes, a nod to the coaching there (something CFL could never do). Tournament games will prove to be much tougher against much better teams than UMASS.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Ace seems to be implying that Sage portrays himself one way here while in reality he hates Hurley and us......am I getting that, Ace?

What are they gonna do when Dan Hurley turns out to be the most important coach in the history of the A10 ????

Chaney and Calipari forced other schools in the A10 to step up or be left far behind......maybe Dan joins that duo...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !