Sounds

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Sounds

Unread post by neil »

With this magical run so far, there are different sounds than we've not experienced before. I was eating breakfast Saturday morning at my favorite place in Wakefield, and there were a number of booths talking ram basketball. The night before at a restaurant in Westerly, the same thing. Sounds of "are you going tomorrow, I heard Duquesne is better than we think, etc. I was at the Ryan at 10 thirty because I left my ticket back in Connecticut and people were waiting on line at 10 forty, and I'm not talking about the student line. People were talking to strangers with smiles on their faces. Numerous fans came out of the Ramzone with packages. Keaney blue dominated the lobby. To the game, the building was loud and alive. My favorite sound of a game is when the rams make a run and the opposing coach needs to call time. ATP will back me up on this but I love pointing at the coach knowing his team is in trouble. The sound of the crowd makes the hour and forty minute trip very easy to handle. Then there is the sound of when the Rams pull ahead, when the Rams have clinched the win as the clock winds down. All great sounds, and then you get to the end of yesterday's game. 7500 fans screaming all at once in euphoric glee. I have a hunch many of us have watched this more than once/twice. Next time you watch, close your eyes and listen to the sound, and also count how long that cheering lasts. Steve said it perfectly, it has been alot of frustration for a long period of time. I think we have more "sounds" ahead of us. If you were at the Ryan at about 2 o'clock yesterday, you experienced the ultimate sound. As ATP also said, the game will be a celebration/party. No truer words. Go Rhody!
13 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Sounds

Unread post by theblueram »

What always gets me is the sound of the crowd after the anthem. When the arena is somewhat muted even though it's a sellout. But you can't tell until the crowd cheers after the anthem.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I was going to mention this too. I work over in Eastern CT, in a large office, and there is now a buzz about the program. People are mentioning going to games, getting tickets, the sellouts, considering season tickets. Saw I guy I work with walking out of the Ryan yesterday. These are basketball fans that used to go to UConn games, and we are getting them to our games instead. Think about that for a minute!!!
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

UCH21377 wrote:I was going to mention this too. I work over in Eastern CT, in a large office, and there is now a buzz about the program. People are mentioning going to games, getting tickets, the sellouts, considering season tickets. Saw I guy I work with walking out of the Ryan yesterday. These are basketball fans that used to go to UConn games, and we are getting them to our games instead. Think about that for a minutecam!!!
A good friend of mine is a retired high school BB coach who used to work at a number of summer camps. He is from Connecticut and was very UConn oriented. His granddaughter goes to URI and they went to yesterday's game. He's become a fan.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I went to the Campus Store at 10 AM to buy some stuff on Saturday morning. The girl ringing me up asked if I was going to the game. She was so sad that she couldn't go because she had to work. She knew they had won 11 straight. There is a buzz with the kids on campus also.
4 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

They stretch all the way down to NYC as well. The amount of group texts/facebook invites for watch parties/texts/emails with talks of trips to Kingston, etc has grown substantially. And many are coming from fellow alumni that weren't nearly as interested about the program when we were in school sans the one weekend a year we played PC. The buzz is real, no doubt about it. And its great to see.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The sound that the crowd made as Stan's shot dropped through...is one of the coolest of things in sports.
I have replayed that ending over and over, yes the play was awesome...but that 'crowdburst' ... priceless...
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The sound that the crowd made as Stan's shot dropped through...is one of the coolest of things in sports.
I have replayed that ending over and over, yes the play was awesome...but that 'crowdburst' ... priceless...
I sent that video to my daughter. She said it made her phone vibrate.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

People associated with URI are proud of the school, and I think the school is underrated in most every respect. This gives us a very visible thing to publicly be proud about...the winning, national attention, top 25, all mean something for the overall perception of the school. Some of the basketball budget should be covered by the schools marketing budget...this is just about the best marketing you can ask for. If URI doesn't pony up for whatever Hurley wants, it will be very shortsighted.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The sound that the crowd made as Stan's shot dropped through...is one of the coolest of things in sports.

Agree. I've probably watched a 100 times...each time focusing on a different player, the bench, different parts of the crowd. who would of thought a win over Duquesne...
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

my favorite sound is when we are making a run from a big deficit. I've been to every home game the last 2 years and a handful of others the 2 previous years. 3 games stand out. the first was Davidson in the 14-15 season. Just trying to keep any bubble hopes alive, In the first half Davidson back-doored us to death We were child's play for them. Down double digits, Dan made some adjustments. I think they went 8 minutes with out scoring. We eventually took the lead, but lost to a Jack Gibbs corner three. Another was PC (sans EC) two years ago. Things looked grim when they bolted to a big lead, but again we turned up the defensive intensity and eventually took the lead...only this time to lose when Bentil pushed JG out of the way so he could get an easy tip-in. The third was yesterday. I liked this ending much better as this team now knows how to win.

There is nothing like the electricity in the Ryan Center when we are making a comeback. I would root for every game to be like that...just not sure I could deal with the stress.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My wife and i were at the Mews Friday night and sitting at the upper "pizza bar" where they make the pizzas...

One of the staffers behind the bar was talking with the guy next to me about URI hoops, the game the next day, etc. I didn't engage with them due to being on a "date", but I wanted to!

Was it one of you?
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gonna take a lot to top the sound of the first time PC had to step foot in the Ryan Center. That was 2 hours of a completely fired up lions den.

An explosion of decades of pent up frustration from them using chicken shit excuses to avoid leaving their precious civic center. It was amazing

The few PC fans that were in there had a look of fear and jealousy.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

It’s a serious rush no doubt. When the place is packed and it’s a tight game down the stretch.... nothing like it
1 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

RhodyRam86 wrote:my favorite sound is when we are making a run from a big deficit. I've been to every home game the last 2 years and a handful of others the 2 previous years. 3 games stand out. the first was Davidson in the 14-15 season. Just trying to keep any bubble hopes alive, In the first half Davidson back-doored us to death We were child's play for them. Down double digits, Dan made some adjustments. I think they went 8 minutes with out scoring. We eventually took the lead, but lost to a Jack Gibbs corner three. Another was PC (sans EC) two years ago. Things looked grim when they bolted to a big lead, but again we turned up the defensive intensity and eventually took the lead...only this time to lose when Bentil pushed JG out of the way so he could get an easy tip-in. The third was yesterday. I liked this ending much better as this team now knows how to win.

There is nothing like the electricity in the Ryan Center when we are making a comeback. I would root for every game to be like that...just not sure I could deal with the stress.
I was at all those games and agree but I'd also add the Davidson game from last year to that list. In fact yesterday reminded me a lot of that senior night game last year.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote:People associated with URI are proud of the school, and I think the school is underrated in most every respect. This gives us a very visible thing to publicly be proud about...the winning, national attention, top 25, all mean something for the overall perception of the school. Some of the basketball budget should be covered by the schools marketing budget...this is just about the best marketing you can ask for. If URI doesn't pony up for whatever Hurley wants, it will be very shortsighted.
......recommended that any time you get to hear Dr. Dooley speak about the connection of growing even more the University via the basketball program is a great take.....he gets it....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
RIFan wrote:People associated with URI are proud of the school, and I think the school is underrated in most every respect. This gives us a very visible thing to publicly be proud about...the winning, national attention, top 25, all mean something for the overall perception of the school. Some of the basketball budget should be covered by the schools marketing budget...this is just about the best marketing you can ask for. If URI doesn't pony up for whatever Hurley wants, it will be very shortsighted.
......recommended that any time you get to hear Dr. Dooley speak about the connection of growing even more the University via the basketball program is a great take.....he gets it....
So important. If Dooley, Thorr and Dan are all on the same page, this could continue for quite a while.
2 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The First PC game and the undefeated St. Joes games are the two games where I feel the building was its loudest for the full two hours (and more for both) Though when the shot went down Saturday, I feel confident we woke up a hung over kid or two in the dorms.

This is my first year back on campus, but everybody knows what is going on, it is talked about, and even those to whom all sports distracts from the pure pursuit of knowledge, knows when game days are
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This is a great thread and very true, my pc fan friends are chatting about Uri like I’ve never heard. Also, a college Basketball buzzer beater is the best moment in sports, next to a walk off grand slam.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Was working out today at healthclub in W. Mass. See a women with URI shirt on. Talk to her and her husband. Their daughter goes to URI. I ask them if she went to the game yesterday. They said they were watching on TV and texted her. They couldn’t believe she didn’t go. She told them she is going to the Davidson game. The parents are going to the Rhody game at UMass Tues. We are becoming New England’s team!
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

Was in a coffee shop in Providence the other day and overheard multiple people talking about "this URI basketball team" and "maybe we should go to some games." This is what success does to programs.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We've had buzz before, whenever we went to the NCAAs. The difference now is that we're in a position to sustain it. As Dan said when he first got here, it's going to be big and it's going to be beautiful.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

RhodyRam86 wrote:my favorite sound is when we are making a run from a big deficit. I've been to every home game the last 2 years and a handful of others the 2 previous years. 3 games stand out. the first was Davidson in the 14-15 season. Just trying to keep any bubble hopes alive, In the first half Davidson back-doored us to death We were child's play for them. Down double digits, Dan made some adjustments. I think they went 8 minutes with out scoring. We eventually took the lead, but lost to a Jack Gibbs corner three. Another was PC (sans EC) two years ago. Things looked grim when they bolted to a big lead, but again we turned up the defensive intensity and eventually took the lead...only this time to lose when Bentil pushed JG out of the way so he could get an easy tip-in. The third was yesterday. I liked this ending much better as this team now knows how to win.

There was a Terrell 3 against VCU last year that blew the roof off the building.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....next Friday nite, get there early......get into your seats early......stand, be loud when the team takes the court......give them a welcome home they have never heard.....Go Rhody.....
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

OH YES... team deserves a legit, buzzing, crazy Ryan Center for their Top 20 performance this year. They have done EVERYTHING asked of them. Pay them back.
5 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

How’s our dot count looking?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's sold out I think...if not, it will be very soon.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Section104 wrote:How’s our dot count looking?
There's about 100 left. Most of them are obstructed view.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
I'm not even sure about that. I just checked and it seemed there are only about 10-20 tickets left, unless I missed a section somewhere. I'd put my house on it being a sellout.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
I'm not even sure about that. I just checked and it seemed there are only about 10-20 tickets left, unless I missed a section somewhere. I'd put my house on it being a sellout.
Those seats that have a pair of eyeglasses on them are the obstructed view seats. There's 90 some of those left and less than 10 regular seats.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great post 105! This team deserves some special sounds. They are effin amazing!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The sound of a sold out arena begging their team to give them something to cheer for. The sound of an arena getting choked out by the best team in the conference. The sound of silence when the home team fans know URI is getting another road win
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote:.....next Friday nite, get there early......get into your seats early......stand, be loud when the team takes the court......give them a welcome home they have never heard.....Go Rhody.....
......I forgot, wear lots of Keaney Blue......a Fatts likes that.....
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Not a sound, but it was cool to see those empty yellow seats at the end of the game last night.
2 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

This is one of my favorite threads. Would be interested to hear the best sounds from those that were there tonight. On TV it sounded like it was the Fatts steal into the no look dish and EC slam followed by a Davidson TO.
Last edited by NJ03 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

NJ03 wrote:This is one of my favorite threads. Would be interested to hear the best sounds from those that were there tonight? On TV it sounded like it was the Fatts steal into the no look dish and EC slam followed by a Davidson TO.
only play that beat it was Cyril's posterize slam and subsequent tech. Got the huge pop from the dunk, and an even bigger and veeerrryyyy sustained booing. Terrell was near center court waving his arms encouraging more and louder boos
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love those thunderous dunks by Cyril very reminiscent of our other big man dunkers Luther and Kenny Green !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

After about 80 percent of the fans have left but the RhodyRuckus are mostly still there, and the building is a quiet murmur, and then all of a sudden all of the URI players (following the handshake line) run over to the student section to thank them as they did last night after the Davidson win. The RhodyRuckus attendees scream with glee as the URI players run over and arrive. It’s a wonderful sound. One of those things you have to be there to see and hear.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My favorite sound last night is the band and cheerleaders singing the Alma mater song.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My favorite sound last night was before the game even began. Most of the arena was only half filled but the students were all jammed in. (Love to see all that Keaney Blue). EZ Buckets picked up the microphone and started his shtick and the students responded in unison with cheers and screams. It gave me goosebumps.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote:After about 80 percent of the fans have left but the RhodyRuckus are mostly still there, and the building is a quiet murmur, and then all of a sudden all of the URI players (following the handshake line) run over to the student section to thank them as they did last night after the Davidson win. The RhodyRuckus attendees scream with glee as the URI players run over and arrive. It’s a wonderful sound. One of those things you have to be there to see and hear.
I watched that unfold from up in 313 - I saw them heading that way and thought to myself, "that's awesome - I love this team!"
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

ESPN game day, picking uri as a protected seed, after significant segment earlier in the show. Never even dared to dream it
4 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great post Neil. I'm a walking ad for the team and the number of people who talk to me about the team is through the roof.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I particularly enjoyed hearing "your number 18 Rhode Island RAMS!" last night
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Arguably the best and worst sounds of the season in last nights game

Best: All five players touch the ball, never hits the ground, Langevine monster slam.

Worst: Complete and utter silence as EC lay on the ground in pain.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NJ03 wrote:Arguably the best and worst sounds of the season in last nights game

Best: All five players touch the ball, never hits the ground, Langevine monster slam.

Worst: Complete and utter silence as EC lay on the ground in pain.
Can't wait to hear the cheers when EC is back on the court next Friday. :P
2 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Speaking of sounds, can URI throw up the pregame video on YouTube?
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

So the buzz has made it's way across the country. I wear my Rhode Island Basketball hoodie all over the place and now people are stopping me and asking about the program.

To them, it's come out of nowhere. But not to us.

Also - Tacos and local craft beer at my house if we're put in the San Diego bracket!
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Speaking of sounds, can URI throw up the pregame video on YouTube?
YES YES YES. Time to ask Shane.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund