NY Post Hurley Article

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: NY Post Hurley Article

Unread post by theblueram »

We had almost a 7% increase in applications last fall. With this years exposure and national press, I would think we might see a similar increase next year. $$ to the school comes in different ways when the school is getting national press.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I would guess if we reach the Sweet 16 or better, we will see both further program improvements and a sweetened contract for Dan.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nope.
Section 105 already told you. He talked to President Dooley a week ago at the Sarasota Alumni gathering.
President Dooley himself said that the plans for the a Practice Facility were already in progress. He said an announcement is being prepared.
He said NOTHING about needing to get to the Sweet 16, no conditions.

So many posters here objected to the idea of a Practice Facility, said we couldn't afford it. But here straight from The President himself it's happening

Trust your president and trust fellow KB Poster Section 105. Everything does not need to come from tweets

And URI will be extending Hurley's contract just like has become the standard now - he has proven himself well beyond expectations.

Sweet 16 will be nice, but Practice Facility and Contract Extentions are locks. The amount is the only thing that could change.

This Coach has it all. Name me one non P5 Coach you would rather have. Dan Hurley is the man.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

And he's going to have the crowds. Next home game is about 10 tickets away from a sellout. And if we win the next three, we will be playing Richmond for a chance to tie history set in the 40's. If that all works out, I would expect a sellout on national tv. Hell, at this point I expect it anway.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: Trust your president and trust fellow KB Poster Section 105. Everything does not need to come from tweets
Let's not get all crazy now...everyone knows the world runs on tweets... :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No kidding. It's like if it's not from a linked tweet then it is not believed. Even if the President himself said it at an Alumni gathering in Sarasota.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Practice facility is key, but there are more program enhancements to be had than just that. And yes, a run in the tournament could further inspire those with deep pockets to help in those areas.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would caution, with absolutely no disrespect to section 105, that whether it comes via a tweet or a relayed conversation we take a single-sourced piece of information as more akin to rumor than iron clad fact. I'd say that even if the President told me personally that they were "working on it." Until there is an official announcement with to-scale models, artist renderings, and (maybe most importantly) detail about how it's going to be paid for, I can't bring myself to be anything more than hopeful, or cautiously optimistic. Certainly section 105's report on his discussion with President Dooley is the best thing we've heard on the topic to date, but it hardly makes it official.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TruePoint wrote:I would caution, with absolutely no disrespect to section 105, that whether it comes via a tweet or a relayed conversation we take a single-sourced piece of information as more akin to rumor than iron clad fact. I'd say that even if the President told me personally that they were "working on it." Until there is an official announcement with to-scale models, artist renderings, and (maybe most importantly) detail about how it's going to be paid for, I can't bring myself to be anything more than hopeful, or cautiously optimistic. Certainly section 105's report on his discussion with President Dooley is the best thing we've heard on the topic to date, but it hardly makes it official.
.....all correct, I will stand by my update provided previously......I would say, from here out it is the University Athletics/President communications folks etc to provide the above mentioned details......out
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

They are talking about Boeheim's retirement in Syracuse. Hopkins the former heir apparent is now at Washington. There has been talk about
Greg McDermott for that job but Dan has to be considered. Either job would be a huge upgrade for Dan.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:They are talking about Boeheim's retirement in Syracuse. Hopkins the former heir apparent is now at Washington. There has been talk about
Greg McDermott for that job but Dan has to be considered. Either job would be a huge upgrade for Dan.
Unless I'm mistaken, last I heard was that Syracuse had extended Boeheim's contract beyond the 2018 season. Is that no longer accurate?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Boeheim is there as long as he wants to be. Besides that who in their right mind wants to move to Syracuse?
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Boeheim's son is headed to play at Syracuse next year. I believe Boeheim has said that he very much wants to coach his son
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Correct. Boeheim is signed only through 2018. He's old and getting tired. And as for Syracuse, the city itself is experiencing a rebirth. The weather is just a little worse than New England. It is not Buffalo. They are in the ACC. Forty million to be spent on Dome renovations and an unbelievable practice facility. It will be a highly coveted job.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jeez just saw Boehime turns 74 in Nov so let's hope he coaches a few more years . He is a young 74 I think he has a young wife ??

I admit this opening terrifies me ??
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would like to see us resurrect "The Bubble" as our dedicated practice facility.....
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ramulous wrote:I would like to see us resurrect "The Bubble" as our dedicated practice facility.....
And we could put a trailer outside of it!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

They can just put up a hoop under that great tent outside the Ryan Center North Lobby. There ya go!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The storied programs have coaching trees and the program families that stretch across the country. Personally, I expect all places like those to hire from within their family.

I mean UNC has never had a coach from outside the Dean Smith world. The schools like Louisville or Indiana. Schools that have been to the mountain top but have controversy tied to that success are more threats imho. They are willing to hire from outside their family but offer the chance to win it all.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:The storied programs have coaching trees and the program families that stretch across the country. Personally, I expect all places like those to hire from within their family.

I mean UNC has never had a coach from outside the Dean Smith world. The schools like Louisville or Indiana. Schools that have been to the mountain top but have controversy tied to that success are more threats imho. They are willing to hire from outside their family but offer the chance to win it all.
I joked about Dan at Carolina but I think Bobby will be in the mix for Duke.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:The storied programs have coaching trees and the program families that stretch across the country. Personally, I expect all places like those to hire from within their family.

True, but those programs also have unrealistic expectations and think the rebuild will be immediate.

Look at Archie in Indiana. He hasn't even finished 1 season and the natives are already restless and the press is ripping him
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote:

I joked about Dan at Carolina but I think Bobby will be in the mix for Duke.
Would be no joke to me. I could see Dan Hurley at UNC.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ATPTourFan wrote:They can just put up a hoop under that great tent outside the Ryan Center North Lobby. There ya go!
Yeah, but if they do that...you won't be under cover for the last twenty feet or so of the 'waiting to be wanded' line....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Just wait until we have a game with cold rain and sell-out crowd is standing outside. I hope it doesn't happen but it certainly would be terrible experience.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Just wait until we have a game with cold rain and sell-out crowd is standing outside. I hope it doesn't happen but it certainly would be terrible experience.
maybe then our crowds will finally stop imitating LA Dodgers crowds and arrive earlier than 5 min before tip off.
1 x
---
---
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

You mean 5 minutes AFTER tip off?
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I wrote here a looooong time ago that Bobby Hurley would be in the mix for when K retires at Duke.....provided he kept winning as he moved from lower divisions to higher competition.....he seems to be doing that.....he is one of the most storied players in Duke history....

Dan to UNC doesn't seem as likely...

I have a question.....which of alums is most likely to rise to the level where he would be a viable coach at Rhody?

Preston Murphy comes to mind......I don't know enough about Tyson Wheeler's coaching career to assess him....I don't know enough about ARD yet...I don't know how Silk Owens is doing as an assistant....

Tyson would be akin to Bobby Hurley going to Duke.....he is our most storied player to become a coach....and he comes back to Kingston often to watch us play...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote:I wrote here a looooong time ago that Bobby Hurley would be in the mix for when K retires at Duke.....provided he kept winning as he moved from lower divisions to higher competition.....he seems to be doing that.....he is one of the most storied players in Duke history....

Dan to UNC doesn't seem as likely...

I have a question.....which of alums is most likely to rise to the level where he would be a viable coach at Rhody?

Preston Murphy comes to mind......I don't know enough about Tyson Wheeler's coaching career to assess him....I don't know enough about ARD yet...I don't know how Silk Owens is doing as an assistant....

Tyson would be akin to Bobby Hurley going to Duke.....he is our most storied player to become a coach....and he comes back to Kingston often to watch us play...
I'd say Preston is the most ready, followed by ARD.

10 yrs from now, I see TJ as someone's head coach as well
0 x
---
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I would offer that IF Dan stays and continues to grow and sustain success, then leaves, any Alumn coach would need some success D1 as head coach and not just a feel good story coming back to Kingston.....the “guy replacing the guy” has gotta have solid resume......no?
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

UNC has like 400 people show up to the Final Four to watch them that have played and or play in the NBA. There is absolutely no way they look outside.

Kentucky? They look outside. Indiana? They look outside. Duke/UNC never.

I think Mich State is the one right now to watch.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:UNC has like 400 people show up to the Final Four to watch them that have played and or play in the NBA. There is absolutely no way they look outside.

not with those circumstances they arent.

they're staring down Penn St level sanctions as a best case scenario, nevermind the fact that those actions dont scream family or togetherness to me.
1 x
---
---
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For several URI games that I have gone to, there is always someone coming in late in the rows in front of mine. People stand to let them pass and I have missed more shots because of this. If I was ever late to a game, I would wait until a timeout occurred before I would proceed to my seat. That is what good basketball etiquette calls for. Maybe URI has to issue a flyer on what constitutes "good basketball etiquette"' for fans and then instruct the volunteer ushers to stop anyone from descending to their seats while the game is in play. Late comers should pay for their tardiness and not pawn it off on people who have the decency and consideration to get there on time.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Should be easily achievable as at least in the 200s there are ushers at the top of the stairs who SHOULD be stopping people from going down until a timeout.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:UNC has like 400 people show up to the Final Four to watch them that have played and or play in the NBA. There is absolutely no way they look outside.

not with those circumstances they arent.

they're staring down Penn St level sanctions as a best case scenario, nevermind the fact that those actions dont scream family or togetherness to me.
Yea I guess so. I didn't think of sanctions. MI was thinking more just the idea that ultimately the school will have to wash its hands of the leaders. Opening up the job.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote:For several URI games that I have gone to, there is always someone coming in late in the rows in front of mine. People stand to let them pass and I have missed more shots because of this. If I was ever late to a game, I would wait until a timeout occurred before I would proceed to my seat. That is what good basketball etiquette calls for. Maybe URI has to issue a flyer on what constitutes "good basketball etiquette"' for fans and then instruct the volunteer ushers to stop anyone from descending to their seats while the game is in play. Late comers should pay for their tardiness and not pawn it off on people who have the decency and consideration to get there on time.
I don't abide by the TD Garden wait until there is a stoppage. Sometimes I am early and sometimes late. I do wait until a stoppage to get up, but not to sit down.

I am sorry.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

To me if the job opens up Maryland would be the one to watch. And I agree with the person who mentioned Notre Dame. Syracuse would probably be the 3rd. If Hurley leaves my prediction is he goes to one of those 3 schools.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Maryland and Notre Dame coaches are not going anywhere. Both teams have been hit hard by injuries making both coaching jobs very safe.

By the way I thought this thread was about the N Y Post article. Talk about getting off topic.............
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I didn't mean it was going to open up this year. I'm saying at any time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

eli#10 wrote:You mean 5 minutes AFTER tip off?
I had a group of people climb over me to get to their seats for the first time with 12 minutes to go in the 1st half.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
Obadiah wrote:For several URI games that I have gone to, there is always someone coming in late in the rows in front of mine. People stand to let them pass and I have missed more shots because of this. If I was ever late to a game, I would wait until a timeout occurred before I would proceed to my seat. That is what good basketball etiquette calls for. Maybe URI has to issue a flyer on what constitutes "good basketball etiquette"' for fans and then instruct the volunteer ushers to stop anyone from descending to their seats while the game is in play. Late comers should pay for their tardiness and not pawn it off on people who have the decency and consideration to get there on time.
I don't abide by the TD Garden wait until there is a stoppage. Sometimes I am early and sometimes late. I do wait until a stoppage to get up, but not to sit down.

I am sorry.
You are wrong for this. You should rethink.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

There is absolutely nothing more annoying at a sporting event than when people get up in front of you during play. Nothing.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, there's no shortage of long media timeouts in college hoop. Be respectful of your fellow fans who'd like to watch the game.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I agree. If you’re late or get up, you should wait until a stop in the action (i.e. a timeout). Common courtesy.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I disagree.

I have never cared that I had to move for someone to get out of the row. Of course I wait to get up on a stoppage like the rest of the civilized world.

But when I am late on a Wednesday night coming to the Ryan Center from points north and there is actually one person between me and my seat I go sit in the seat. Every time. The people that sit around me immediately bring me up to speed and don't lecture me on etiquette.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am also worried about Seton Hall job coming open that's got to be a concern as well
0 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Correct. Boeheim is signed only through 2018. He's old and getting tired. And as for Syracuse, the city itself is experiencing a rebirth. The weather is just a little worse than New England. It is not Buffalo. They are in the ACC. Forty million to be spent on Dome renovations and an unbelievable practice facility. It will be a highly coveted job.
Boeheim had his contract extended through the 2021-22 season. He's not leaving anyone soon.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Extensions mean nothing. Especially for a 74 year old. He will call it a day long before the contract expires.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote:Here’s a thing I think people are missing... not people here, but the people on twitter or other social media or wherever else coach talk happens- winning so far this year and last makes it more likely Dan stays at URI (not forever but a while longer), not less likely. The popular talk is he’ll win and then bounce- to UConn or Pitt or Rutgers or Memphis or St. John’s or any other place that’s struggling.

But, he’s been able to be successful here, both with the team’s record and in growing the program (attendance, recruiting, national attention/ranking), with the current resources and with the continued push to improve them (this is the key!). If he’d given it his all and only part of that was achieved (wins but still really struggling for attendance and resources, for example), maybe he chalks it up to an only slightly upgraded Wagner situation and goes.

Making the tournament last year provided some legitimacy to this whole thing and gave everyone some room to breathe and believe. The above talk about the practice facility is accurate. He’s realistic and knows the broad limits of what the school can provide- a reasonable return on what he’s given to the program would be fair.
8 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think Dan Hurley must have read somewhere that he can become the most important coach ever at the University of Rhode Island....
1 x
Bigsnoop
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bigsnoop »

Cameron_Dollar wrote:Extensions mean nothing. Especially for a 74 year old. He will call it a day long before the contract expires.
You must not know much about Boeheim. The only ways Boeheim leaves is if he's fired or in a body bag.
0 x