How Important do you think it is for URI MBB to be Nationally Ranked Right Now?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Extremely Important
30%
Very Important
19%
Important
28%
Somewhat Important
12%
Only Important to the Fans - Not Important to the Players or Coaches
7%
Not Important - Only Poll that Matters is at the end of the Season
5%
Does not Matter
No votes

Total votes: 43

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I ranked Extremely Important
Stan's comment in this morning's Projo was evident that it is important to the players. How much of the Sell-Out today for Duquesne is due to the Win Streak or the National Ranking? The National Ranking has to be helping to energize fans and want them to head to the Ryan Center especially with only 4 Home Games remaining after today.

The Ranking is fantastic free publicity for the school. Alumni around the US and the World can proudly wear their URI attire and brag to coworkers, neighbors, friend about their URI Rams.

Just thinking that this is only the 4th game since 2008 that URI is playing at Home in the RC as a Nationally Ranked Team - pretty awesome

Many teams are in or close to being in the Top 25 every year. But it is great to see Gonzaga, St Mary's, Nevada and URI in the Top 25. Teams that are considered to be Mid-Major Type Teams - certainly not P5 Teams.

Top 25 is great publicity for these schools but especially for a URI because it is so rare since the days of Jim Harrick.

Dan Hurley and this group of Players, Coaches and Support Staff (hat's off Academic Support) have put this Team and University in the National Spotlight and it is not even February yet - great things are happening.

“It feels great to be a ranked team,” URI guard Stanford Robinson said. “It’s something the fans wanted. It’s something that we wanted. It’s exciting to come back home and play in front of the fans.”

Duquesne (14-7, 5-3) will be looking to spoil just the fourth home game for a ranked URI team since 2008.

RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Villanova (63) 18-1 1,623
2 Virginia (1) 18-1 1,537
3 Purdue (1) 19-2 1,499
4 Duke 17-2 1,439
5 Kansas 16-3 1,338
6 Michigan State 17-3 1,243
7 West Virginia 16-3 1,217
8 Xavier 18-3 1,180
9 Cincinnati 17-2 1,087
10 North Carolina 16-4 1,014
11 Arizona 16-4 974
12 Oklahoma 14-4 917
13 Ohio State 17-4 787
14 Texas Tech 15-4 763
15 Gonzaga 17-4 610
16 Saint Mary's 19-2 571

17 Wichita State 15-4 547
18 Clemson 16-3 474
19 Auburn 17-2 470
20 Florida 14-5 366
21 Arizona State 15-4 353
22 Tennessee 13-5 260
23 Nevada 18-3 190
24 Rhode Island 15-3 189

25 Michigan 17-5 123
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: How Important do you think it is for URI MBB to be Nationally Ranked Right Now?

Unread post by section(105) »

....extremely important in continued building of the national program.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: How Important do you think it is for URI MBB to be Nationally Ranked Right Now?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

And to go a season wire to wire without letdown allows maximum fan base engagement. Leave them wanting more.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

100% agreed
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's important, but it's more important to keep it there.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Extremely important. It's why we're sold out today.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I think it’s very important but I don’t attribute today’s sell out to us being ranked. I think with it being the first game back with students who have not been to a game in well over a month has a lot to do with it. As well as ticket packages and large groups that had bought blocks of tix.
Th importance is in that it is free exposure. URI will be on the front page of CBB scoring pages. It also has peaked the interest of the local media.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhodyram wrote:I think it’s very important but I don’t attribute today’s sell out to us being ranked. I think with it being the first game back with students who have not been to a game in well over a month has a lot to do with it. As well as ticket packages and large groups that had bought blocks of tix.
Th importance is in that it is free exposure. URI will be on the front page of CBB scoring pages. It also has peaked the interest of the local media.
This game is not in the 5 game plan and the student allotment is standard for today. There are 6,000 non-student tickets and only sold old of those for the PC game
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote:
Rhodyram wrote:I think it’s very important but I don’t attribute today’s sell out to us being ranked. I think with it being the first game back with students who have not been to a game in well over a month has a lot to do with it. As well as ticket packages and large groups that had bought blocks of tix.
This game is not in the 5 game plan and the student allotment is standard for today. There are 6,000 non-student tickets and only sold old of those for the PC game

It’s part of the 3 game mini plan. With the Dayton game and another non pc game of your choice.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Spoke to a ticket rep very early in the season(November) and he had specificly mentioned the Duquesne game as one with a good amount of group sales.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone know the history of when URI has been included in the Top 25 by year and by week within that year?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:Does anyone know the history of when URI has been included in the Top 25 by year and by week within that year?
I can't speak for the accuracy of this, but its all I could find.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... polls.html
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......can I change my vote to extremely, extremely important......?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If you want to be the Gonzaga of the East, it is Extremely Important to be ranked.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Very.

Ranked teams are at the top of all the sports outlets and get more eyeballs.

Brings in more fans, builds the rep of the program and is a good recruiting tool
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

"Youuuge" wasn't an option?
1 x