Bill Reynolds Saturday Morning Columns

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Bill Reynolds Saturday Morning Columns

Unread post by ramster »

Today, Bill has 4 of his traditional Saturday Morning Bullet Points related to the Rams.............

■ Don’t be surprised if the UConn job opens up at the end of the year and the Huskies make a big run at URI coach Dan Hurley.

■ Speaking of the Rams, one of the reasons they are so good is that their two leading scorers the other night were Andre Berry and Stanford Robinson. You say you’ve barely heard of them, Bunky? That’s the point.

■ A shout-out to old friend Don Kaull, whom I played against in Little League, junior high school, high school, and college basketball, and has had a wonderful second career as the color man on Rams basketball broadcasts.

■ Look up “solid″ in the basketball dictionary and a picture of URI’s Jeff Dowtin stares back at you.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/ProJo/
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Bill Reynolds Saturday Morning Columns

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ugh.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

It just dawned on him that Don Kaull is our color commentator? It's only been, what, 30 years?

Wish I could have a job like Reynolds's when I retire.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I live in CT and would be shocked if Dan would want the Uconn job. It’s outside of the power 5, State is having severe funding issues, fan base is shrinking, expectations are way too high for what it is, and now it’s under investigation. No way Dan would leave his current situation for anything like that.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......maybe someone should send up a flare to let him know we are now ranked......I guess he will include that soon after he reads it in the NY papers......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yeah, I've never heard of Stan Robinson. Did he watch the Oregon game last year?
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Disgraceful. Stan is called season MVP to date.

The guy gets paid plenty to write this. Newer members of Lrojo team make significantly less for better work.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Like always, he's just collecting some random thoughts and writing them down. I'm shocked there was no reference to the independent man this week. But of course the obligatory mention of potholes. Replaced in the summer by the weekly mention of the CT tourists that BTW pay a lot of the bills around here. If he spends 5 minutes writing this I'd be surprised.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I am not really concerned about the UCONN job. Without knowing what if any penalties the NCAA would impose makes the job much less attractive for an established coach to consider taking.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote:Like always, he's just collecting some random thoughts and writing them down. I'm shocked there was no reference to the independent man this week. But of course the obligatory mention of potholes. Replaced in the summer by the weekly mention of the CT tourists that BTW pay a lot of the bills around here. If he spends 5 minutes writing this I'd be surprised.
He actually had two references to The Independent Man today................

‒ There’s no truth to the rumor that the Independent Man has no one to talk to in the State House.

‒ Or that The Independent Man wants a cost-of-living increase.
0 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

The guy gets paid plenty to write this.
I seriously doubt, under the current ownership, that anyone at the Providence Journal is overpaid.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

took the same effort to read it as he took to write it I guess
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I like Bunky a lot...
Obviously a lot of this column is recycled week to week and year to year.
He complains every year during the first column in December that PC and URI should play twice.

Anyway, this thread made me laugh a lot, so thank you for that.

I am really surprised that he was not in Kingston today.
If he was, I missed him, but the RC was kinda the only place worth being today in the RI sports world,
unless there is some huge Australian Open watch party that I didn't get invited to...
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

CT Rhody wrote:I live in CT and would be shocked if Dan would want the Uconn job. It’s outside of the power 5, State is having severe funding issues, fan base is shrinking, expectations are way too high for what it is, and now it’s under investigation. No way Dan would leave his current situation for anything like that.
Correct.

I’m a little worried if Minnesota opens up.

But only a little. Rhode Island is really a great situation at this time. Keep selling out the building and it’s only going to get better.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So who was in the RC from the projo today? Kmac? Koch? Bunky? I know Kmac and Bunky go to every pc home game.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Koch was only one I saw...
Been wrong before, but I looked deliberately over at the table.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And I'm sure Kmac and Bunky were busy covering............nothing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe Reynolds knows who Stan Robinson is now?
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Boom
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I wonder if he feels any guilt for the role his books played in building the mythology of Little Ricky.

"Success is a Choice" should have had a subtitle: "Choose Boosters Who Have Stacks of $100s to Spare"
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

I do generally like his Sunday columns where he mostly features local kids or coaches
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

CT Rhody wrote:I live in CT and would be shocked if Dan would want the Uconn job. It’s outside of the power 5, State is having severe funding issues, fan base is shrinking, expectations are way too high for what it is, and now it’s under investigation. No way Dan would leave his current situation for anything like that.

I agree CT Rhody Hurley would be crazy to take a job where the two previous coaches had won national championships . No matter what you did would not be enough if it was not a title.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

woodennickel1 wrote:

I agree CT Rhody Hurley would be crazy to take a job where the two previous coaches had won national championships . No matter what you did would not be enough if it was not a title.

Uconn, the school that despite having won multiple ncaa championships, can't get an invite to a power conference? Uconn, the school that will soon see all its original Big East breakup money drying up?

While the Uconn job has a lot of past glory and pays well, the job is not what it once was some six years ago. The uncertainty about its conference and finances coupled with the unknown factors relating to this NCAA investigation do not help matters.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

woodennickel1 wrote:

just uconn nickel. just uconn
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

RF1 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

Uconn, the school that despite having won multiple ncaa championships, can't get an invite to a power conference? Uconn, the school that will soon see all its original Big East breakup money drying up?

While the Uconn job has a lot of past glory and pays well, the job is not what it once was some six years ago. The uncertainty about its conference and finances coupled with the unknown factors relating to this NCAA investigation do not help matters.
UConn seems destined to be the next Holy Cross....
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

UConn is a great example of how a coach makes a program and why we need to do whatever we can to keep Dan.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

UConn won't be invited into the cartel until its football program gets good. I have "never" in the pool.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:UConn won't be invited into the cartel until its football program gets good. I have "never" in the pool.
Lived in CT for many years and I'll take the 'over' on that.
0 x