Bill Koch on With Gresh Talking URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bill Koch on With Gresh Talking URI

Unread post by Blue Man »

http://www.630wpro.com/wpro-sports/

Thought this was a worthwhile interview. Great to hear how locked in everyone is right now. Koch goes on at 105:30 - 1/25.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Bill Koch on With Gresh Talking URI

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Great job by Gresh and BK.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The idea of Gresh talking about hoops is laughable, but I digress. Good to see the bandwagon is filling up with front runners. All pub is good pub.
4 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Gresh was the sportscaster on the old 790TheScore who somewhat serendipitously was sent one night to Kingston in order to cover on-the-air the Jim Harrick press conference that was supposed to be about Harrick declining the Georgia offer to return to coach URI.

Gresh handled that terribly awkward situation in dramatic theater fashion, as though he was telecasting the pregame shenanigans of a WWF event.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Gresh ever since, not because I think he knows anything about basketball but because he once made me laugh for 90 minutes at the type of circumstance where I normally tend to respond with screaming and cursing.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Good stuff. I just wish Bill would say that URI has never won a regular season title since the A-10 was formed. He makes it sound like URI has never won a regular season conference title. I think we won 6 or 7 in the Yankee Conference.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was it true that Gresh played football at URI ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote:Was it true that Gresh played football at URI ??
He did. O-lineman.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

We actually were the regular season champs of the 1981 Eastern Eight which morphed in to the Atlantic 10 after the 1982 season. I believe Claude English took over for Jack Kraft during the 1981 season & was even coach of the year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rammgr wrote:We actually were the regular season champs of the 1981 Eastern Eight which morphed in to the Atlantic 10 after the 1982 season. I believe Claude English took over for Jack Kraft during the 1981 season & was even coach of the year.
Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw.....and Jimmy Wright and Phil Kydd

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1981.html
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Jimmy Wright & Phil Kydd were seniors that yr.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rammgr wrote:Jimmy Wright & Phil Kydd were seniors that yr.
Yes, lol. I added them.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rammgr wrote:We actually were the regular season champs of the 1981 Eastern Eight which morphed in to the Atlantic 10 after the 1982 season. I believe Claude English took over for Jack Kraft during the 1981 season & was even coach of the year.
Tied with Duquesne.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote:
Tied with Duquesne.
One of the best things about the league that year? UMass was 0-13.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote:
Tied with Duquesne.
URI did not play a full h&h schedule vs all other members that year per my memory. Joined the league late and had issues getting the schedule set. I think they played all members once and had some OOC games designated league games for the standings.
1 x