UConn Men's team under investigation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
scine20
ARD

UConn Men's team under investigation

Unread post by scine20 »

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: UConn Men's team under investigation

Unread post by ace »

This is now the third time it’s been posted :)
No worries, I’m always here for some schadenfreude.

But, it is the first stand alone thread. Regardless, UConn in its current state is a mess.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I said this in the other thread, but this stinks of "we owe this coach a lot of money if we want to fire him so what can we possibly find on him to fire him with cause."

Probably not the best tactic to display for other prospective coaches to see.

Hey sure we'll sign you to a big time long term deal - but if you suck we'll make sure we do whatever we can to weasel out of the agreement.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can see why UConn would make this public for the buyout, but why would the NCAA hold an investigation to let UConn out of a coach's contract?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

NCAA must investigate if credible info is brought forward.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sure, but is UConn really benefiting by calling the cops on themselves if their only reason for doing so is setting up Ollie for a for-cause termination?

I mean, its short-term goal of getting the hell out from under Ollie's contract may be advanced, but its bigger-picture position is really not helped at all. I mean, first of all, who knows what investigators might find once they start poking around - UConn better sure hope it knows (my guess is that Geno and whoever the hell the UConn football coach is now would prefer that the NCAA investigators stay out of Storrs, even if they aren't giving players Porsches or whatever - everyone is doing something a little wrong). Second of all, you're inviting sanctions which will make the job harder to fill if you get what you want out of it and can dump Ollie. Third, you're sending a signal to your next potential coach that you will go all the way to the point of subjecting yourself to investigations and sanctions just to jam up your own coach because they weren't able to sustain your program at the level it was at before you took it to some off brand conference so you could make pretend that you have an FBS football program.

Seems shortsighted to me.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ATPTourFan wrote:NCAA must investigate if credible info is brought forward.
But I don't think that's what's happening. I don't think UConn called the NCAA on themselves, they're just confirming that an investigation is happening.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

UConn was the school that lost the most with the breakup of the old big east due to the defections of the football schools....being allegedly barred from ACC consideration by Boston College doomed them....

BC struggles in the ACC......I think UConn would have thrived there...to the detriment of BC
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:NCAA must investigate if credible info is brought forward.
But I don't think that's what's happening. I don't think UConn called the NCAA on themselves, they're just confirming that an investigation is happening.
Self-reporting to start an investigation just so they could fire a coach? I don't think the Storrs Leg-humpers (or even the former mental hospitalyeah, they probably would) would do anything that lowdown.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The investigation hurts recruiting for several years. UConn has very wealthy alumni that are unhappy and would help with a buyout. Existing Players start leaving. You totally lose your 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes. You even impact your 2020 recruiting class.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sounds like a great opportunity....not. How does that place go from pulling off (out of their axx?) a title run less than 5 years ago...to this?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oh how the mighty have fallen !!!
0 x
Paleoguy
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Paleoguy »

Not self reported....

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men ... story.html

The NCAA is investigating the UConn men’s basketball program for possible recruiting infractions, in response to allegations made last fall

“UConn is absolutely committed to a culture of compliance and intends to fully cooperate, as always, with the NCAA,” UConn President Susan Herbst said in a statement. “We will do so in a thorough and transparent manner reflective of the model athletic and academic institution we continually strive to be.”

UConn said it conducted its own “NCAA-mandated internal review” after the revealing of the FBI’s investigation and indictments involving a bribery scandal. However, this inquiry is unrelated and was not self-reported by UConn as a result of that scandal or the internal review, but rather reported to the NCAA from an external source.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Excellent podcast covering Michigan State with Izzo and their AD “retiring” and UConn’s fall from grace and all the slop any new coach would need to first deal with before winning at a national level.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Getting ahead of things quite a bit here - but if any top recruits committed to UConn next year - we have a scholly available
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Excellent podcast covering Michigan State with Izzo and their AD “retiring” and UConn’s fall from grace and all the slop ang new coach would need to first deal with before winning at a national level.
I don’t understand how every sports fan, media person, whoever is not talking about Michigan State. The response just seems so muted. Is it really going to take the basketball program being involved for more people to care?
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ace wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Excellent podcast covering Michigan State with Izzo and their AD “retiring” and UConn’s fall from grace and all the slop ang new coach would need to first deal with before winning at a national level.
I don’t understand how every sports fan, media person, whoever is not talking about Michigan State. The response just seems so muted. Is it really going to take the basketball program being involved for more people to care?
Deadspin has done a great job covering everything in the orbit of the Nassar since the very beginning, and have been hammering it for the last few weeks.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:
ace wrote:
Deadspin has done a great job covering everything in the orbit of the Nassar since the very beginning, and have been hammering it for the last few weeks.
Yes, they have. I thought this piece, although brutal to read, was really well done-

https://deadspin.com/what-larry-nassars ... 1822376055
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I’m not liking response from Izzo to those allegations years ago.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This is as bad or worse than Penn State yet no responsibility for MSU?????
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Seat getting a bit toasty for Mr Ollie ???
0 x