If success continues .....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyO
Abdul Fox

If success continues .....

Unread post by RhodyO »

If our success continues do you think we should look to jump conferences to maybe American athletic. They are headquartered in Prov. Possibly team up with UMass since they have football and bring it to 14 teams. Right now, in football they are independent. We would be more of a Wichita State add. Not saying we don’t have football .... but why.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: If success continues .....

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow. No.
7 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......O, can you explain the benefits of the conference move?......Cause I am not seeing any.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Will the American ever be better or significantly better than the A10? Sure the A10 is having a down year. But since it's inception what does the American have? They haven't been better (admittedly without doing any research). If they can be better in the long run, I'm open to it... but the A10 seems more stable, especially if Dayton and VCU are in for the long haul. Plus travel would be freaking ridiculous.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The AAC...The Big Everywhere...The All Anywhere Conference.... seems like a bunch of teams that got left out of regular conferences and just got slapped together.... oh, wait.....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

All the teams whose football dreams were crushed to the detriment of their hoops programs (except Cincy, I guess, but they've always been a misfit without a Power conference).
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I think it'd make more sense to target some of the top tier basketball programs the next time any reshuffling takes place. I.E. - Uconn moves on so go out and try and lure Wichita State.
0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

UCONN's basketball program is currently under investigation for potential rules violations.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The only place I would ever want to move IF we keep Dan Hurley and IF we become a perennial juggernaut would be the Big East.

That's pretty much an impossibility considering the history there and the fact that we aren't a jesuit school, but that's the only place worth moving.

Otherwise agree that we would try to target other schools for the A10.

Honestly, one of the selling points on Dan staying here is that he can run this conference and collect an autobid year in and year out. We will obviously lose A LOT this offseason, but Jeff, Fatts, CT, Akele, Langevine + our recruiting class is still going to be competitive against next years A10.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NJRhodyFan wrote:UCONN's basketball program is currently under investigation for potential rules violations.
This smacks of "we owe this man 11 million dollars as a buy out, is there something we can find on him to fire him with cause"
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

hopefully these sell outs will allow us to give Dan a raise....If gonzaga can afford it why cant we
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can almost see another conference branching off of the A10, maybe taking AAC teams that are closer to the east coast (UCONN, Temple, East Carolina). Adding the better teams from the A10, no idea how it would happen, but its fun to imagine.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Roz wrote:hopefully these sell outs will allow us to give Dan a raise....If gonzaga can afford it why cant we
It's not a raise Roz, it's program enhancements. Charter flights and practice facility.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right. Dan’s personal compensation is average in the A10.

We need all other aspects of the program to be top quadrant, similar enough to VCU Dayton SLU.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

AAC is a disaster move.

That conference has a shelf life, and its 2023. The next Big 5 reshuffle will be the end of the AAC and the schools without a decent football program will be orphans without a home.

However, I'm all for giving Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne the boot for Cincy, Wichita St and Memphis at that time
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:AAC is a disaster move.

That conference has a shelf life, and its 2023. The next Big 5 reshuffle will be the end of the AAC and the schools without a decent football program will be orphans without a home.

However, I'm all for giving Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne the boot for Cincy, Wichita St and Memphis at that time
La Salle invests in their program and just won 3 games in the NCAAT en route to a Sweet 16, getting the A10 4 tournament units. More than we've given to the conference in 20 years.

If you're basing it on a long gap between tournaments, that would be like kicking us out.

Just say no to drugs kids.

As for teams dropping from the AAC - it's a football conference. Those schools don't care about basketball. As it is their TV deal still pays each school 2.5M in BASKETBALL. Our contract isn't even CLOSE to that. What the hell can the A10 offer?

Your posts are a roller coaster. 12 months ago you're leading the charge to replace our coach, and now you're dictating who we should kick out of the conference. Wild.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I can almost see another conference branching off of the A10, maybe taking AAC teams that are closer to the east coast (UCONN, Temple, East Carolina). Adding the better teams from the A10, no idea how it would happen, but its fun to imagine.
Weirdly enough, I was thinking about this at the breakfast table this morning. I would be a solid "NO" vote on URI leaving the A-10 for the AAC, but you could sell me on putting together a conference by taking the top members of the A-10 and the AAC, and possibly sprinkling in some others. I think you could put together a really good basaketball league, but the problem is finding enough football schools so that you could take UConn, Temple and Cincinnati with you. Real quick back of the envelope:

Non-football
Rhode Island
VCU
Dayton
Wichita State

Football
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis

That has the makings of a potentially really good basketball league. The problem is you then have to find at least six more schools so you can have a football conference. That gives you 14 overall. With two divisions, in basketball you'd play the six teams in your division twice and each school in the other division once for a 19 game conference schedule.

Where do you get those six? My feeling is the Texas schools are too far away, so that would eliminate Houston and SMU (although Houston could be a good basketball member). I would consider taking one or both of the Florida Schools, South Florida/Central Florida. I'd take UMass. I would consider Charlotte. I would consider Buffalo. Someone mentioned East Carolina - I'm not a fan of directional schools, really, and we already have some from Florida, but they could be a possibility. Middle Tennessee could be possible as a sister program to Memphis. Maybe Tulsa as a sister program to Wichita? Would offer Richmond a spot if they wanted to upgrade to FBS football (I wouldn't if I were them, but who knows their thinking on that).

East
UConn*
UMass*
URI
Temple*
VCU
Charlotte/ECU/Richmond*
South Florida/Central Florida*

West
Dayton
Cincinnati*
Wichita State
Memphis*
Mid Tenn*
Tulsa*
Buffalo*

Obviously there are a million reasons why this couldn't work, including the relationships between UConn, UMass and URI, the relationship between Dayton and Cincinnati, the hopes of Cincinnati and UConn of getting an ACC,B1G invite, etc., etc.

But as a basketball league that would be pretty good, and as a football league it wouldn't be too much worse than what they have now.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:

La Salle invests in their program and just won 3 games in the NCAAT en route to a Sweet 16, getting the A10 4 tournament units. More than we've given to the conference in 20 years.

If you're basing it on a long gap between tournaments, that would be like kicking us out.

As for teams dropping from the AAC - it's a football conference. Those schools don't care about basketball. As it is their TV deal still pays each school 2.5M in BASKETBALL. Our contract isn't even CLOSE to that. What the hell can the A10 offer?

Your posts are a roller coaster. 12 months ago you're leading the charge to replace our coach, and now you're dictating who we should kick out of the conference. Wild.
yeah, its almost like a message board is a place to voice opinions, and that opinions are shaped over time by experiences and data....who would've thunk it? :roll:

here's a little fact your fanboy'ing wont let you see. at the time the Baron 2.0 thread was made, Hurley was a coach that couldn't get it done. He failed to win close games, and late in the year (hello 2014 v Davidson costing us a tourney berth).

That Fordham loss was as bad as any late season stinker Baron threw up and you know it. He turned that corner and got that monkey off his back with the run to end last year.

But of course, heaven forbid anyone speaks a discouraging word about Saint Dan with you around, lest they be subjected to yet another 10 paragraph diatribe that amounts to a toddler stomping their feet because you said no cookie. Grow the fuck up.

You dont run shit here, you arent the thought police...and if you are gonna keep acting like you are I suggest you turn the computer off and get a life.

And if you're gonna hang from my nuts this bad, at least give them a scratch every once in a while.

There's an ignore button for a reason, feel free to use it
0 x
---
---
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Please don't defend the creation of the Baron 2.0 thread - that thread was an absolute embarassment
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

yeah, its almost like a message board is a place to voice opinions, and that opinions are shaped over time by experiences and data....who woud've thunk it? :roll:

here's a little fact your fanboy'ing wont let you see. at the time the Baron 2.0 thread was made, Hurley was a coach that couldn't get it done. He failed to win close games, and late in the year (hello 2014 v Davidson costing us a tourney berth).

That Fordham loss was as bad as any late season stinker Baron threw up and you know it. He turned that corner and got that monkey off his back with the run to end last year.

And if you're gonna hang from my nuts this bad, at least give them a scratch every once in a while
Defending your creation of the Baron 2.0 thread is a wild hill to die on...

If you had written the post after Fordham maybe you'd have a point. Actually probably not.

Stop acting like your posts are measured reactions based on data. Those posts were emotional decrees based on isolated losses in close, tough games, crying about things you obviously don't understand.

You saying Hurley "couldn't" get it done was what was factually incorrect. You were making grandiose statements that we weren't going to make the tournament, that Hurley had failed, was a bad coach, and that we should fire him. All before conference play.

I'm never going to let you live that thread down. As no one should. So that when you start crying like a bitch in a tight game saying "we should just fucking lose this game to wake up" I will happily remind everyone what kind of excitable bullshit you typically come up with. Just like if we lose a game this year and you start another meltdown thread, I'll remind you what kind of credibility your claims have, because I think even you forget.

I gotta say all this talk from you about nut tugging and ass crawling is providing a great window into your home life.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Of course you do it if you can. The American is a better conference than the A10. I'm not sure it's even that close.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I cant read all this but the AAC gives you a shot at high end wins in conference. It also gives you a shot at getting those teams on your home floor.

I'm nostalgic for the A10 but the A10 as we knew it is kinda dead.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

yeah, its almost like a message board is a place to voice opinions, and that opinions are shaped over time by experiences and data....who woud've thunk it? :roll:

And if you're gonna hang from my nuts this bad, at least give them a scratch every once in a while
Defending your creation of the Baron 2.0 thread is a wild hill to die on...

If you had written the post after Fordham maybe you'd have a point. Actually probably not.

Stop acting like your posts are measured reactions based on data. Those posts were emotional decrees based on isolated losses in close, tough games, crying about things you obviously don't understand.

You saying Hurley "couldn't" get it done was what was factually incorrect. You were making grandiose statements that we weren't going to make the tournament, that Hurley had failed, was a bad coach, and that we should fire him. All before conference play.

I'm never going to let you live that thread down. As no one should. So that when you start crying like a bitch in a tight game saying "we should just fucking lose this game to wake up" I will happily remind everyone what kind of excitable bullshit you typically come up with. Just like if we lose a game this year and you start another meltdown thread, I'll remind you what kind of credibility your claims have, because I think even you forget.

I gotta say all this talk from you about nut tugging and ass crawling is providing a great window into your home life.

1 x
---
---
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I cant read all this but the AAC gives you a shot at high end wins in conference. It also gives you a shot at getting those teams on your home floor.

If you are ranking the Top 25 teams of the AAC/A10 era (2013-2014), it would look something like this ...

1 - Cincinnati (6, 2018)
2 - SMU (11, 2017)
3 - UCONN (15, 2014)
4 - SMU (16, 2016)
5 - Wichita St (21, 2018)
6 - Cincinnati (23, 2018)
7 - VCU (25, 2014)
8 - URI (26, 2018)
9 - UCONN (26, 2016)
10 - SMU (26, 2015)
11 - Cincinnati (27, 2014)
12 - VCU (30, 2015)
13 - SMU (31, 2014)
14 - VCU (31, 2016)
15 - Cincinnati (32, 2016)
16 - URI (34, 2017)
17 - St. Louis (35, 2014)
18 - Davidson (36, 2015)
19 - Memphis (36, 2014)
20 - Houston (37, 2018)
21 - Dayton (39, 2017)
22 - Dayton (42, 2015)
23 - Dayton (42, 2014)
24 - Cincinnati (43, 2015)
25 - St. Joseph's (43, 2016)

Maybe the AAC has been significantly stronger at the top, but that could blow apart at any point.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

1. URI is not leaving the A-10.
2. The AAC is not that attractive of a conference.

Next...
3 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:I can almost see another conference branching off of the A10, maybe taking AAC teams that are closer to the east coast (UCONN, Temple, East Carolina). Adding the better teams from the A10, no idea how it would happen, but its fun to imagine.
Weirdly enough, I was thinking about this at the breakfast table this morning. I would be a solid "NO" vote on URI leaving the A-10 for the AAC, but you could sell me on putting together a conference by taking the top members of the A-10 and the AAC, and possibly sprinkling in some others. I think you could put together a really good basaketball league, but the problem is finding enough football schools so that you could take UConn, Temple and Cincinnati with you. Real quick back of the envelope:

Non-football
Rhode Island
VCU
Dayton
Wichita State

Football
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis

That has the makings of a potentially really good basketball league. The problem is you then have to find at least six more schools so you can have a football conference. That gives you 14 overall. With two divisions, in basketball you'd play the six teams in your division twice and each school in the other division once for a 19 game conference schedule.

Where do you get those six? My feeling is the Texas schools are too far away, so that would eliminate Houston and SMU (although Houston could be a good basketball member). I would consider taking one or both of the Florida Schools, South Florida/Central Florida. I'd take UMass. I would consider Charlotte. I would consider Buffalo. Someone mentioned East Carolina - I'm not a fan of directional schools, really, and we already have some from Florida, but they could be a possibility. Middle Tennessee could be possible as a sister program to Memphis. Maybe Tulsa as a sister program to Wichita? Would offer Richmond a spot if they wanted to upgrade to FBS football (I wouldn't if I were them, but who knows their thinking on that).

East
UConn*
UMass*
URI
Temple*
VCU
Charlotte/ECU/Richmond*
South Florida/Central Florida*

West
Dayton
Cincinnati*
Wichita State
Memphis*
Mid Tenn*
Tulsa*
Buffalo*

Obviously there are a million reasons why this couldn't work, including the relationships between UConn, UMass and URI, the relationship between Dayton and Cincinnati, the hopes of Cincinnati and UConn of getting an ACC,B1G invite, etc., etc.

But as a basketball league that would be pretty good, and as a football league it wouldn't be too much worse than what they have now.
You would need 8 more football schools in your scenario to make a viable football conference since 12 is the minimum number needed to have a conference championship game which is a huge moneymaker. From a basketball standpoint I would be all in on something similar to what you outlined.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The NCAA changed the minimum to 10 for a championship game so the Big 12 could have one
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:The NCAA changed the minimum to 10 for a championship game so the Big 12 could have one
If the NCAA had made that decision 10-15 years ago, so the BIg 10 could have one, than a lot of this conference realignment may not have happened.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:The NCAA changed the minimum to 10 for a championship game so the Big 12 could have one
If the NCAA had made that decision 10-15 years ago, so the BIg 10 could have one, than a lot of this conference realignment may not have happened.
I think they did back when the Big 12 was on the verge of falling apart in an effort to keep it together, it's just the Big 12 didn't take advantage of the decision until this past year.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I cant read all this but the AAC gives you a shot at high end wins in conference. It also gives you a shot at getting those teams on your home floor.

If you are ranking the Top 25 teams of the AAC/A10 era (2013-2014), it would look something like this ...

1 - Cincinnati (6, 2018)
2 - SMU (11, 2017)
3 - UCONN (15, 2014)
4 - SMU (16, 2016)
5 - Wichita St (21, 2018)
6 - Cincinnati (23, 2018)
7 - VCU (25, 2014)
8 - URI (26, 2018)
9 - UCONN (26, 2016)
10 - SMU (26, 2015)
11 - Cincinnati (27, 2014)
12 - VCU (30, 2015)
13 - SMU (31, 2014)
14 - VCU (31, 2016)
15 - Cincinnati (32, 2016)
16 - URI (34, 2017)
17 - St. Louis (35, 2014)
18 - Davidson (36, 2015)
19 - Memphis (36, 2014)
20 - Houston (37, 2018)
21 - Dayton (39, 2017)
22 - Dayton (42, 2015)
23 - Dayton (42, 2014)
24 - Cincinnati (43, 2015)
25 - St. Joseph's (43, 2016)

Maybe the AAC has been significantly stronger at the top, but that could blow apart at any point.
12/15? over a 3-4 year period? that 3/15 is only VCU who lost their star coach and is struggling.

The traditionally strong basketball schools of UConn, Cinci, Memphis, Wichita are enough to jump. Now you even have upstart SMU. Houston aint bad compared to the middle of the A10. Home games against the UConn/Cinci/Wichita would be enough. Throw in a VCU? why wouldn't they be invited too.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Don't mix football and basketball schools in the same conference.....it didn't work for the old A10 and the old big east....

The only solution would be a nuclear one.....the football schools go their own way.....if the big east expands they will likely look to religious schools....St Louis, Dayton, maybe Duquesne if their coach is as good as he seems and it brings back the Pittsburgh market....which other religious schools are a fit? None in my opinion.....the Philly schools are out...

We do not fit with the big east.....the next step would be the disbanding of the current A10 minus those schools that head to the big east....we would then have to formulate a league built around us if Hurley stays and grows the program, and VCU and the other DC/Virginia schools....and extend offers to other schools in the East who commit to basketball as their flagship sport....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of taking the top schools of the A10 and AAC and combining them that would be great for us for hoops
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramulous - I would agree in a perfect world, but unfortunately for us, we have a pretty unique profile as a state university without FBS football. So unless we want to play in a league with UNH, Vermont, and Montana we are going to have to be creative as far as who our partners will be.

The old Big East held together for a long time as a basketball league with a legitimate football conference attached. It wasn’t until the football playing schools were lured away by other conferences that it fell apart. I think URI should be willing to forge an awkward alliance with some football schools in order to improve its basketball situation.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

2 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Your move Fordham
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Your move Fordham
Maybe we can broker some kind of BOGO deal. Buy one LaSalle get one Fordham at no additional cost.
6 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......Fordham should just get a copy LaSalle recommendations and the act accordingly........save the consultant money.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Duquesne too)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Said at halftime
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well if Duquesne can keep Dambrot I say Keep them that guy can coach
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Yes reminds me of Hurley
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......we’re going to Disney World!!!!.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote:
.......Fordham should just get a copy LaSalle recommendations and the act accordingly........save the consultant money.....
Fordham isn’t going anywhere because they don’t care about winning they just care about milking our conference for money they don’t earn, will never earn, and don’t care to earn.

Being an A10 member is a profit center for them.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL