1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Awesome clip

8 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RHODY HOOPS !

Still so excited about yesterday..

I was so fired up and nervous throughout the game that I couldn't watch the game from my couch.. Instead I sat on the ottoman about 2 feet from the tv and willed the team to play better...

This team drives you nuts at times but what fun this season has been so far

Time to get focused tho and move forward

LETS GO RHODY
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Great clip !

Great stuff !
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Fordham 2.0
I wish I loved anything as much as you love declaring something 2.0 and being wrong about it.
This was beautiful.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I have no problem with PMMM's original post....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm so thankful I can come to this board to learn about all the intricacies of athletic competition...

I can't really add much about the players. Jarvis was awesome. EC put us on his back. I think Jeff can predict the future because he makes the right play 95 % of the time. Cyril is key for this team. When he can finish, block shots, defend, and stay out of foul trouble we are at our best. He played a perfect second half.

We were due for a Fordham or Lasalle type performance. Last year I was sitting with my girlfriend with a bunch of empty seats and a boring Ryan Center. This year the place refused to quit. The players needed our energy and I truly feel like we would have lost if we didn't have a sell out crowd yesterday. We need that type of energy the rest of the year.

This team can beat anyone in the country.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:But EC’s the recruit that got all of this started. He wanted to be a part of what Dan was building here. He might have some flaws (who doesn't), but we wouldn't be where we are without him. I will never criticize him, only because of what he has meant to this program.
Exactly. EC is the only guy on the court who really gets where this started from. He’s been through a lot- not just with basketball- and his personal growth, from the 18 year old who stepped on campus until now, has been tremendous. He’s a special person.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:

Well written article
Well organized, easy to read
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

steveystuds06 wrote: This team can beat anyone in the country.
Yep

Word
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just watched the final 10 minutes of the game to get a TV perspective. Our arena and crowd is pretty impressive!!!!! They give you a heart attack but I love buzzer beaters!!!!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

10. Remember how Rhode Island beat Duquesne: This may not seem like a significant deal, but most teams that go deep into March or April have that one game that they shouldn’t have won and yet do in dramatic fashion. That occurred for the Rams Saturday. URI was outplayed for much of the game by Keith Dambrot’s upstart Dukes. But Stanford Robinson buried a game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer at the Ryan Center. This game, and the way in which it played out, will have a lasting effect on the Rams. They will benefit for how they found a way to win to remain undefeated in the A-10.

This is from an Andy Katz.... as I posted yesterday, winning this way was soooooooo important for many reasons. I totally agree with his point.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
ramster wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Umm...yeah. Welcome to watching sports?
Plus if he misses the shot it goes to OT - they don't lose.
It was an "if" scenario. I was using this as an example of scenario A "if Stan made the shot AND URI won" and scenario B "if Stan missed AND URI had gone on to lose." I apologize if my usage of the tense was not correct.

My point is still the same. Had he missed and URI lost, the 5 comments under my "URI loses" would've been all over this board. Would that be accurate?
Yes PMMM,
I was just pointing it out.
Many times the last shot gets 99% of the attention but since you did not see the game let's look at the last 2:47 of the game

2:47 EC Hits a 3 to put URI up 58-52 - awesome!!!
2:14 Lewis misses 3 but Smith gets OR - rebounding was not our strong suit yesterday - outrebounded by 12
2:09 Castro hits a 3 now 58-55 and a 1-possession game
1:35 EC misses 3, Lewis DR - defensive rebound
1:04 Castro fouled makes first, misses second. He is a 73.5% FT Shooter hitting 50-68. Now 58-56 and an even better 1-possession game for Duquesne
:42 Terrell gets offensive foul driving inside. This had not worked well all game. Hurley after the game said they went to Dowtin last play because driving to the hoop had not worked well on Saturday. Hurts to not get a shot off in that situation
:28 Freshman Eric Williams Jr hits a clutch 2 point 6 foot shot driving in the lane
:03 Dowtin clutch pass to Robinson who hits the clutch shot

IF Castro hit that 2nd FT and URI is down 1 point it makes that last 28 seconds much more difficult. With the score tied URI had not near as much to lose other than to go to OT at home

Of course it's a 40 minutes game too and Garrett during a run and Mathews during a run were huge - we do not win this game without them

Loved seeing the ending - great stuff. The Coaches, Players, Fans and even KB will learn from this one. We can't just lace up the shoes and expect to win, even at home with a sold out crowd and 18 favorite and nobody on the team injured. That's why they play the games.
We were very fortunate to win and still be able to learn from it. A loss would have been devastating but onward we go :D :D :D
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is great multiple views of the end of game

Steve Mac goes crazy - and rightfully so, but he is broadcasting by radio too so he needs to use a lot of words and excitement to paint the picture

NBA Announcers were awesome:
- At 10 seconds the Announcer has already painted the picture or situation and simply says one word "Enjoy"
- Then at 1 second he says 3 words "For the Win"
- Then 28 seconds elapse before either announcer says another word
- They let the players, the fans and the moment carry the action for 38 seconds in which only 3 words were spoken "For the Win"

4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NJRhodyFan wrote:
NJ03 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:What an amazing finish! I yelled so loudly when Stan hit that shot that my daughter literally fell off the couch. To be down by 15 at one point and fight back to win that game says a lot about this team. Tough as nails. They just refuse to lose. On to UMASS!

On a separate note, did anybody notice EC's reaction when Stan hit the game-winner? All the other players rushed Stan and formed a huge pile on the court while EC stood alone off to the side and casually untucked his jersey while staring blankly into the stands. I watched the replay a few times. Just seemed like an odd reaction considering the circumstances, almost as if he was annoyed that he wasn't the one to hit the shot.

I noticed that as well when I rewatched it and at first thought the same thing. But after watching it from separate angles and on the Rhody Mens BB Snapchat story the reaction was more of a "holy shit we pulled it off" . The next two shots in the story was him doing a shimmy dance with Dowtin and then him giving an enormous bear hug to Stan. So no sour grapes or disappointment. Just relieved disbelief.
Thanks, NJ. Great feedback. Glad to hear it wasn't "sour grapes" as you say. I think we're all still in stunned disbelief! We never hit shots like that, but this is the Hurley era. Anything is possible!
I think these videos show it all. EC Standing motionless for several seconds after the shot goes it. My guess is EC was practically in tears. So much emotion for him. In no way was he anything but happy we won. ACL, Fractured hand, Finger that required off season surgery, additional knee treatment, now in his 5th year here, coming to build this Program with Dan Hurley, Hurley's first recruit, etc.
When EC was out with the Hand, I watched him interact with the team. Always with his arm around a teammates shoulder, often kidding and talking to teammates. I see him in the role of the Elder Statesman, a quiet leader - and he does it well.
I might guess he let the younger guys do the pile up on the floor, let them have the moment, maybe does not want to risk injury either - I could certainly see that, but likely just his way of reacting, capturing the moment - would not at all surprise me if he was saying a prayer.

But at the end of this video you will see EC hugging Stan, then it ends and you see Stan and Dowtin hugging but you see 6 arms. That is because EC is behind Stan and JD and all 3 are hugging in the last view. Love Stan hugging Dowtin - crediting the Sophomore with the assist.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Loved this:

Turning it up: Hurley credited Jarvis Garrett and Fatts Russell with helping turn the game around at the defensive end. Once the lead got to 15 and the Rams ramped up the pressure, the Dukes struggled even to get into their offense when Russell and Garrett were on the floor. Duquesne coach Keith Dambrot said, "The game became very aggressive, which wasn't good for us."

Fatts hasn't been shooting well so he hasn't been getting his due. However, our comeback in the 2nd half was made possible by Fatts' defensive intensity. Similarly, Jarvis D was instrumental as well, but I thought he should have looked for his shot more. He seemed to be the only player able to hit a jumper in the first half.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Jarvis has been consistently shooting well this year......a classic example of a kid who could complain about his situation but doesn't...it is why our kids are winning.....stats seem to come in a distant second behind winning...
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Jeff Dowtin has ice water in his veins. He is so poised...........
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Saw my brother-in law today and the very first thing he says to me is "Wow, URI sucks! They lost by like 20 yesterday." I said you obviously turned the game off early, and proceeded to show him some clips. Then he laughed and said it serves him right for turning it off with about 8 minutes to go...thankfully the game was 40 minutes and not 30!
6 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The breakdown of the final 10 seconds shows why DiSano is the best.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not only that, his breakdown of why URI played so poorly for the first 25 minutes shows he has a coach's knowledge of the game.....

He has explained before, the way we have to play in order to play our best....and we certainly weren't doing that.....
2 x