1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Re: 1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I will say...since I called Cyril's touch the worst in D1 after last game...that he was a difference maker today and played a great game with Berry being a little off. Nice to see.

Nice to win games like this...17-3...I've keep staring at it.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Fordham 2.0
I wish I loved anything as much as you love declaring something 2.0 and being wrong about it.

LOL! :D :D :D

Blue Man I hope your life out of the Ryan Center is stress free. I have no idea how any human heart can withstand all the stress you put on yours! :)
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Any post game press conference video/audio?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

How come we never get the post game press on the radio? WTF is going on with that?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote:How come we never get the post game press on the radio? WTF is going on with that?
......yes like it is a tape cut from the presser, rarely live......is it a sponsor thing?.....often poor quality, neva heat the questions, sometimes like today nothing.....Chris Disano does great job capturing Dan’s comments.....does seem though that we should do better than the current situation.....send an intern into presser with a hot mic....?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Here is photo evidence of EC being upset that Stan got to take the last shot.

6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

GansettSummer wrote:

Someone got the full game replay up already. Enjoy!
Sick now I don’t have to do it hahahah
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not sure who brought that up. EC bent over and went to the floor. I would imagine he was hearing the crowd go completely bonkers that they just won, and just wanted to revel in it.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Not Mike Powell wrote:Kingston by Sean Kingston made it back to the warmup playlist. Brings me back to 2007.
I think we really need to go all in on the Kingston/reggae thing. It can't be worse than what they're playing
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

TruePoint wrote:
Beautiful comments from Stan. So happy he was the one to hit that shot.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Not Mike Powell wrote:Kingston by Sean Kingston made it back to the warmup playlist. Brings me back to 2007.
I think we really need to go all in on the Kingston/reggae thing. It can't be worse than what they're playing
I've been saying all year...
Play Andre "Chuck" Berry...
(even the Beach Boys "cover" would suffice)

and Fatts Domino!!!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote:That was a walk
These referees had no idea what traveling was. Amongst several other issues
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

My folks made the trip over from CT for this game. Their first (and probably only) one this season.

Picked a good one. ELECTRIC finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......amazing.....Rod, We made the big last shot to win.....
Led by Jarvis who was HUGE in getting them back in the game when they were down 15.
EC is going to get the recognition because of how hot he was down the stretch, but Jarvis was our best player start to finish today.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Stan makes the shot and...

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

Stan misses the shot (and URI loses)...

"Terribly disappointing"
"Laid an egg on national TV"
"Dambrot outcoached Danny"
"Goodbye ranking"
"Too much standing around and 1-on-1 on offense"
Piss off
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EC had 1/3 of the total points today. Without him we would have lost.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:
section(105) wrote:......amazing.....Rod, We made the big last shot to win.....
Led by Jarvis who was HUGE in getting them back in the game when they were down 15.
EC is going to get the recognition because of how hot he was down the stretch, but Jarvis was our best player start to finish today.
Exactly! When everyone else was playing like shit, he was the one who kept us afloat.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Listen, I know EC has his critics. No, he's not perfect. He might free lance a little bit too much and take a bad shot here and there. But he's the recruit that got all of this started. He wanted to be a part of what Dan was building here. He might have some flaws (who doesn't), but we wouldn't be where we are without him. I will never criticize him, only because of what he has meant to this program.
15 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote:That was a great college basketball atmosphere.. Ballsy win keyed by ratcheting up the D.... Don't win that game without us the 7000 plus pushing them through.. No boos.. No negativity.. Loved the ending... Next....
This is simply not true. I booed the shit out of the refs after several brutal calls
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
........do any of them?......becoming as difficult to define as a catch in the NFL.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
ram1980 wrote:That was a great college basketball atmosphere.. Ballsy win keyed by ratcheting up the D.... Don't win that game without us the 7000 plus pushing them through.. No boos.. No negativity.. Loved the ending... Next....
This is simply not true. I booed the shit out of the refs after several brutal calls
I meant no one booed the team... Refs are meant to be booed
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Watched this one at work....thought we were deader than a doornail with 16 minutes to go.....

Things have changed that's for sure.....now we win the close ones.....pretty sure I'm OK with that...lol
3 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

What a win what a team what an atmosphere even on television
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

the fact we sucked for 28 mins and won is a great thing. However we will be a one and done ncaa tourney team with this effort. I guarantee the big "upset " will be against us.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
........do any of them?......becoming as difficult to define as a catch in the NFL.....
Normally I feel like refs just ignore traveling on both sides, so when they don't call it on the other team it's frustrating, but you move on. Today they called a travel that didn't look like one and at least three times Duquesne literally hopped with the ball, landed with the ball, then scored. And that doesn't count all the textbook travels that just aren't called anymore
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
I meant no one booed the team... Refs are meant to be booed
I had the joke and I took it. No regrets
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:Listen, I know EC has his critics. No, he's not perfect. He might free lance a little bit too much and take a bad shot here and there. But he's the recruit that got all of this started. He wanted to be a part of what Dan was building here. He might have some flaws (who doesn't), but we wouldn't be where we are without him. I will never criticize him, only because of what he has meant to this program.
EC gets the most criticism of any player on this team and has for years and I am not sure why. Just don't get the imbalance.
I do not know why we have to open up a can of debate worms about how EC is going to get more credit than Jarvis - why create something out of nothing?
Fact is we needed Jarvis to wake the team up when they were down by 15 points and looking horrible and lethargic AND we needed EC to carry the team the last 7 minutes of the game. Without those two guys we do not win this game and unfortunately it might not have even been close. We needed the contributions of EC, Jarvis and Dowtin.

Rather than criticize EC for not getting in the pile of players at the end as one poster was questioning, what about the players who did not play well today?
Dowtin had 6 big assists and 0 Turnovers but In my opinion Dowtin should have taken more charge of the team. Terrell went too much individual. He was 4-16 but one was a breakaway steal/dunk and one layup but he was off - he should not have taken so many shots and passed more. Dowtin has to run the team and keep all the players moving the ball. We did not pass well today and we did not play as unselfishly as we have been playing during this win streak and it almost bit us bad.
EC was 7-14, 4-4 FTs and 0 Turnovers. Usually EC has a few TOs in games but not today. Without him we lose.

Terrell has been our best player this year but some games he tends to disappear or be off and today was one of them. He had 4 TOs too

The Center position needs to put up better numbers than today. Berry 16 minutes and Langevine 24 minutes (for 40 total) had only 6 points and 5 rebounds between them. We were outrebounded by 12 rebounds by a team we were favored to beat by 18 points today. Too wide a rebounding margin. Maybe Akele needs to get some minutes to push these guys harder.

Stan hit the big shot but only 3 rebounds from him today and 3 TOs. He is our leading rebounder for the season. He has been great but today was not his typical MVP performance - exception of course the game winner

Dan Hurley did not have his best Coaching day - great call at the end to have Dowtin dribble out the clock, drive and dish - loved it.
But the team was lethargic in the 1st half. The defensive pressure was not there the first half and beginning of the 2nd half. Dambrot said in several articles that there only chance was to slow this game down. He told the world his game plan but we did not pressure in the first half and did not play the relentless defense that was needed. We played the tough defense when we had to, when everyone knew this game was in danger - but Top 25 Teams cannot play like that - the law of averages will catch up to them. Maybe too many interviews with the press, maybe too much talk about the crown and getting sellouts. We need to play relentless defense all 40 minutes if every game - we did not play that defense all 40 minutes today.

We were fortunate Williams did not have one of his hot shooting nights.

Will be an interesting couple of days of practice before the UMASS game. As hard as we have fought to get to the Top 25,we came very, very close to losing a lot of what we have worked so hard to gain.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully the last 2 games are an aberration....this happens to most teams during the course of a season.....it's hard to be up for every game no matter how hard the staff tries to keep the team focused.....

We need to end this "slump" however and quickly....UMass looks bad right now but we all know how hard it is to win at their place....and VCU might be turning things around and be our main challenger after all.....

And ramster, you beat me to the punch with your very well reasoned post....right on all counts.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Listen, I know EC has his critics. No, he's not perfect. He might free lance a little bit too much and take a bad shot here and there. But he's the recruit that got all of this started. He wanted to be a part of what Dan was building here. He might have some flaws (who doesn't), but we wouldn't be where we are without him. I will never criticize him, only because of what he has meant to this program.
EC gets the most criticism of any player on this team and has for years and I am not sure why. Just don't get the imbalance.
I do not know why we have to open up a can of debate worms about how EC is going to get more credit than Jarvis - why create something out of nothing?
Fact is we needed Jarvis to wake the team up when they were down by 15 points and looking horrible and lethargic AND we needed EC to carry the team the last 7 minutes of the game. Without those two guys we do not win this game and unfortunately it might not have even been close. We needed the contributions of EC, Jarvis and Dowtin.
It feels like you're going off of a post I wrote, but I stand by what I said. EC had the flashier game because of all the points he scored at the end, but he struggled in the beginning of the game. From start to finish, in all phases, Jarvis was our best player today. He had key buckets, big rebounds, drew three offensive fouls on them and had no obvious poor plays. I felt it was worth noting that I believed he was our best player today. That's not a negative on EC, it's simply pointing out a backups performance over the full game shouldn't be overshadowed by a great 10 minutes by our star
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RhodyRam86 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Fordham 2.0
I wish I loved anything as much as you love declaring something 2.0 and being wrong about it.

Blue Man I hope your life out of the Ryan Center is stress free. I have no idea how any human heart can withstand all the stress you put on yours! :)
And how did I know you'd still be on my nuts.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

After today's game our magic number to clinch an A10 tournament bye is 5. To claim the double bye its 6 and to claim the regular season title its 8
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Magic #'s 1...
It's tuesday in amherst...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
RhodyRam86 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

And how did I know you'd still be on my nuts.
Because you’re constantly wrong, know diddly dick about basketball, and put the worst hot takes out on the internet for all to see.

Happy I can keep your fantasy going on nut play though sweetheart.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Umm...yeah. Welcome to watching sports?
Umm...no. That's not watching sports. That's more like people looking at a single element of game (a made or missed shot, or field goal in football...or hit allowed in baseball) and defining the game by that one play. And then coming on a message board to tell the world either URI is great or URI is awful.

One could say that performance (not the outcome, but the performance) was the same as last year's game vs. Fordham.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Plus if he misses the shot it goes to OT - they don't lose.
It was an "if" scenario. I was using this as an example of scenario A "if Stan made the shot AND URI won" and scenario B "if Stan missed AND URI had gone on to lose." I apologize if my usage of the tense was not correct.

My point is still the same. Had he missed and URI lost, the 5 comments under my "URI loses" would've been all over this board. Would that be accurate?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Umm...no. That's not watching sports. That's more like people looking at a single element of game (a made or missed shot, or field goal in football...or hit allowed in baseball) and defining the game by that one play. And then coming on a message board to tell the world either URI is great or URI is awful.

One could say that performance (not the outcome, but the performance) was the same as last year's game vs. Fordham.
The point of an athletic contest is to win. There are two possible outcomes of every athletic event. You win or you lose. So yes, if a game is tied and there is one play at the buzzer that decides whether you win or lose then the game is defined by that one play. That is how sports work.

You seem to want to ignore that there are a ton of posts in here clearly stating that we played like shit. But we won, so yes the focus is on the winning play and the fact that we finished the game with more points than the other team.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Be honest, how pissed were you when Stan hit it? Did you have your whole post about the loss typed out already?
Sure, I'm always honest on this board whether people like it or not. I wasn't watching when Stan hit the shot. I watched the 1st half of the game...saw URI stand around, run the stagnant high pick-n-roll offense, chuck up air-ball 3's while Duquesne played efficiently on offense with dribble handoffs, flair screens, and outhustling URI.

I then went off to coach my son's youth basketball game this afternoon (we won, thanks for asking). I came back to the house, checked the score with the expectation that URI had lost based on what I had seen when I left. I saw the final score, chuckled to myself, and then later saw the highlight of the game-winning shot.

My reaction is the same reaction a lot of winning coaches (including Izzo, Self, and others have) have after winning games that they maybe didn't deserve to win. Sometimes on a particular day, the better team doesn't win. Or as Johnny Most used to say "Justice prevails." Perhaps today if you're objective or obviously a Duquesne fan, justice did not prevail. Of the 40 minutes of basketball, which team played better for a larger percentage of 40 minutes?

Just with my son's team today, we did not play a good full game. We played well for about 14 minutes. We won essentially because of those 14 solid minutes and because we had better talent than the other team. I can assure you my son's team didn't win because of the coach. Not sure, but perhaps a similar story to URI's game today. Just food for thought, that's all.

And that's the truth. I can't make this stuff up.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Be honest, how pissed were you when Stan hit it? Did you have your whole post about the loss typed out already?
Sure, I'm always honest on this board whether people like it or not. I wasn't watching when Stan hit the shot. I watched the 1st half of the game...saw URI stand around, run the stagnant high pick-n-roll offense, chuck up air-ball 3's while Duquesne played efficiently on offense with dribble handoffs, flair screens, and outhustling URI.

I then went off to coach my son's youth basketball game this afternoon (we won, thanks for asking). I came back to the house, checked the score with the expectation that URI had lost based on what I had seen when I left. I saw the final score, chuckled to myself, and then later saw the highlight of the game-winning shot.

My reaction is the same reaction a lot of winning coaches (including Izzo, Self, and others have) have after winning games that they maybe didn't deserve to win. Sometimes on a particular day, the better team doesn't win. Or as Johnny Most used to say "Justice prevails." Perhaps today if you're objective or obviously a Duquesne fan, justice did not prevail. Of the 40 minutes of basketball, which team played better for a larger percentage of 40 minutes?

Just with my son's team today, we did not play a good full game. We played well for about 14 minutes. We won essentially because of those 14 solid minutes and because we had better talent than the other team. I can assure you my son's team didn't win because of the coach. Not sure, but perhaps a similar story to URI's game today. Just food for thought, that's all.

Well its certainly comforting to know that you put yourself in the same group with Izzo and Self as far as basketball coaches go. Congrats on the win.
4 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

The point of an athletic contest is to win. There are two possible outcomes of every athletic event. You win or you lose. So yes, if a game is tied and there is one play at the buzzer that decides whether you win or lose then the game is defined by that one play. That is how sports work.

You seem to want to ignore that there are a ton of posts in here clearly stating that we played like shit. But we won, so yes the focus is on the winning play and the fact that we finished the game with more points than the other team.
Sorry Adam. Athletic contests, regardless of the sports, don't come down to one single play. Any coach would tell you that. You tell little Johnny his missed FT at the end cost his team the game? Or were there turnovers in the 1st half, a missed layup in the 2nd half, or a blown defensive assignment that led to open three with 10 minute left?

People who don't understand all the intricacies of athletic competition think a win or loss is defined by a single play...or single season's success is defined by a win or loss. It's not. (Listen to Brady and Belichick and what they say after a win or loss.) THAT is how sports work.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Sorry Adam. Athletic contests, regardless of the sports, don't come down to one single play. Any coach would tell you that. You tell little Johnny his missed FT at the end cost his team the game? Or were there turnovers in the 1st half, a missed layup in the 2nd half, or a blown defensive assignment that led to open three with 10 minute left?

People who don't understand all the intricacies of athletic competition think a win or loss is defined by a single play...or single season's success is defined by a win or loss. It's not. (Listen to Brady and Belichick and what they say after a win or loss.) THAT is how sports work.
I just double checked the standings again and I am not seeing the "intricacies" column. Must be a technical glitch, I'll check back again tomorrow.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

Well its certainly comforting to know that you put yourself in the same group with Izzo and Self as far as basketball coaches go. Congrats on the win.
Well it's (not its) certainly comforting to know that you don't read or write very well. You'll see that I wrote the my REACTION was the same as THEIR REACTION after they won games they didn't think they should have won. That's not quite the same as putting myself "in the same group."

Thanks for the congrats on the win. We're back on the hardwood tomorrow. We hope to play better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"

First of all, as far as a sporting event being defined by the outcome of one play, that actually is how sports works. In fact, a lot more than one game is talked about differently because of one play. If Bill Mueller rolls over a soft grounder to first instead of barreling one back up the middle, people might talk about the entire 2004 baseball season (not to mention the historical arc of a 100+ year old organization) differently. I could list literally one thousand examples to illustrate this, but I think everyone gets it.

As far as it being exactly like the Fordham game, I guess the thing they have in common is that in each case URI played pretty bad for 25 minutes. The difference starts with the fact that in the Fordham game, URI then played an additional 15 bad minutes. Did you know that in the Fordham game, URI had a 2 point lead under 16 minutes, and in the Duquesne game they were down by 15 at the same point? From that you could even say today was worse. EXCEPT, today, instead of getting mollywhopped 23-11 the rest of the game and scoring 3 points over the last 8 minutes, they scored 38 points and held Duquesne to 20. So that's a pretty big difference and it's a lot more than one play. And considering the first 25 minutes, the last 15 minutes were even more impressive.

Also - did I see you post below that justice wasn't done and the better team lost because Duquesne played well for more of the game? I just showed you that URI won a stretch covering 45% of the game by 18 points. So whatever Duquesne did in their 25 minutes wasn't as good what URI did in its 15. All 40 minutes count. It's like Dan Duquette saying "more days in first place" after coming in second year after year. Too bad that and winning 25 minutes of a basketball game combined with $3 will get you an ice coffee.

Finally, don't miss the important part of the basketball game - that literally explains why you don't understand the reaction of fans here - because you're coaching little basketball and then lecture people about not understanding the intracies of the game. Did your rec team blow a 15 point second half lead today, too, and you're especially grouchy today? Or just your general basketball experience at the rec league level has sensitized you to the intracies of the game such that you can rationalize why the team with less points actually had the better day. Get the fuck out of here with that.
4 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

I just double checked the standings again and I am not seeing the "intricacies" column. Must be a technical glitch, I'll check back again tomorrow.
While you're at it, double check what Brady and Belichick say about winning and losing. And my guess, it's one of the reasons why Belichick doesn't have much use of the media...many in the media simply don't look at the little things that go into a game. "So-and-so threw 3 INT's so he stinks." There's a lot more to it than that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

While you're at it, double check what Brady and Belichick say about winning and losing. And my guess, it's one of the reasons why Belichick doesn't have much use of the media...many in the media simply don't look at the little things that go into a game. "So-and-so threw 3 INT's so he stinks." There's a lot more to it than that.
Are you talking about the same Belichick and Brady that routinely lose the first 50 minutes of a football game but have built a dynasty by understanding that it's a 60 minute game?
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:

Well it's (not its) certainly comforting to know that you don't read or write very well. You'll see that I wrote the my REACTION was the same as THEIR REACTION after they won games they didn't think they should have won. That's not quite the same as putting myself "in the same group."

Thanks for the congrats on the win. We're back on the hardwood tomorrow. We hope to play better.
I love it, corrects my use of "its" and then says this in the next sentence..."You'll see that I wrote the my REACTION was the same"

I can't wait to hear more about your expertise on the next game you didn't watch.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

First of all, as far as a sporting event being defined by the outcome of one play, that actually is how sports works. In fact, a lot more than one game is talked about differently because of one play. If Bill Mueller rolls over a soft grounder to first instead of barreling one back up the middle, people might talk about the entire 2004 baseball season (not to mention the historical arc of a 100+ year old organization) differently. I could list literally one thousand examples to illustrate this, but I think everyone gets it.

As far as it being exactly like the Fordham game, I guess the thing they have in common is that in each case URI played pretty bad for 25 minutes. The difference starts with the fact that in the Fordham game, URI then played an additional 15 bad minutes. Did you know that in the Fordham game, URI had a 2 point lead under 16 minutes, and in the Duquesne game they were down by 15 at the same point? From that you could even say today was worse. EXCEPT, today, instead of getting mollywhopped 23-11 the rest of the game and scoring 3 points over the last 8 minutes, they scored 38 points and held Duquesne to 20. So that's a pretty big difference and it's a lot more than one play. And considering the first 25 minutes, the last 15 minutes were even more impressive.

Also - did I see you post below that justice wasn't done and the better team lost because Duquesne played well for more of the game? I just showed you that URI won a stretch covering 45% of the game by 18 points. So whatever Duquesne did in their 25 minutes wasn't as good what URI did in its 15. All 40 minutes count. It's like Dan Duquette saying "more days in first place" after coming in second year after year. Too bad that and winning 25 minutes of a basketball game combined with $3 will get you an ice coffee.

Finally, don't miss the important part of the basketball game - that literally explains why you don't understand the reaction of fans here - because you're coaching little basketball and then lecture people about not understanding the intracies of the game. Did your rec team blow a 15 point second half lead today, too, and you're especially grouchy today? Or just your general basketball experience at the rec league level has sensitized you to the intracies of the game such that you can rationalize why the team with less points actually had the better day. Get the fuck out of here with that.
Typical TP...name calling, foul language. Classy. What is the "ref league" that you are referring to? In fact, my team pulled away in the 2nd half to a 15-point lead. We were tied at halftime. Duquesne was better prepared and played better basketball for a larger chunk of the game than URI did. Agree? However, URI's ceiling (based on their talent) allows them to play at a higher level than the Dukes when URI played well. Essentially, URI's best is substantially better than the Duquesne's best.

So the recipe today for a Dukes' upset victory was for URI to play down a notch and Duquesne to play up a notch (or two). Isn't that what almost happened?

TP, you're the best.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:
adam914 wrote:

I love it, corrects my use of "its" and then says this in the next sentence..."You'll see that I wrote the my REACTION was the same"

I can't wait to hear more about your expertise on the next game you didn't watch.
Aha...good catch. Difference is I own up to my mistakes. You overlook your own. And that was my mistake.

Somebody asked for my reaction to Stan's shot, which I gave you. I gave you my thoughts on the portion of the game I saw. I didn't offer a breakdown of the entire game, did I?
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

*smacks Hand against forehead*

*Shakes Head*

*wonders what Ace must be thinking right about now*
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Friendly reminder of the “Foe” feature that blocks posts of people you prefer not to read.

Click on their username, click “ Add Foe” found under their avatar if they have one. Easy.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund