1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Re: 1/27 | Duquesne Dukes | 12PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Great win. Way to gut it out. Quick turnaround here.

Focus on the next one.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I was impressed with Lewis and thought Castro played well. Was pretty unimpressed with Williams. I know he had 9, but 7 of those were by accident (banked in 30 footer that would have missed by 8 feet without the backboard there, left handed prayer in traffic when he couldn't even see the basket, and a weird short-armed runner that also would have missed badly but was saved by the backboard). Kid plays out of control and his game is ugly.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

NJ03 wrote:
NJRhodyFan wrote:What an amazing finish! I yelled so loudly when Stan hit that shot that my daughter literally fell off the couch. To be down by 15 at one point and fight back to win that game says a lot about this team. Tough as nails. They just refuse to lose. On to UMASS!

On a separate note, did anybody notice EC's reaction when Stan hit the game-winner? All the other players rushed Stan and formed a huge pile on the court while EC stood alone off to the side and casually untucked his jersey while staring blankly into the stands. I watched the replay a few times. Just seemed like an odd reaction considering the circumstances, almost as if he was annoyed that he wasn't the one to hit the shot.

I noticed that as well when I rewatched it and at first thought the same thing. But after watching it from separate angles and on the Rhody Mens BB Snapchat story the reaction was more of a "holy shit we pulled it off" . The next two shots in the story was him doing a shimmy dance with Dowtin and then him giving an enormous bear hug to Stan. So no sour grapes or disappointment. Just relieved disbelief.
Thanks, NJ. Great feedback. Glad to hear it wasn't "sour grapes" as you say. I think we're all still in stunned disbelief! We never hit shots like that, but this is the Hurley era. Anything is possible!
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I truly think EC was taking in the moment. He has been through so much, he looked more emotional about the win than upset he didn’t get the last shot. Btw, where are we without Jeff Dowtin? His clock and play management on that last possession was so damn smooth. He deserves a ton of credit. If Langevine starts playing like he has in the past 2 games on the rebounding/defensive end, the sky is the limit for our team. His presence makes a tremendous difference.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge shot by Stan

Liked Hurley's strategy to put the ball in Dowtin's hands for the last 28 seconds after the Eric Williams Jr hit the game tying shot. Dowtin is least likely to turn the ball over and he makes such good decisions. Dowtin held the ball so Duquesne would not get a shot to win, then drove - pulling the defender momentarily off Stan and delivered a nice flip pass to Stan for the winner.

Dowtin with 6 Assists was 1 more then Duquesne's team total of 5. 6 Assists with Zero TOs has him 3rd in the Nation in A/TO Ratio

Garrett really kept us afloat when it looked like Duquesne might pull too far away - solid spark plus 5 big rebounds

Down 45-40 with 7:11 to go EC really put the team on his back. He scored 14 of the last 21 points of the game for URI 7-14 FGs and 4-4 FTs for 20 points

Defense again won is the game as they had 19 TOs to our 10 TOs. Duquesne outrebounded us by 12 with Eric Williams Jr getting a game high 10, continuing his outstanding rebounding - right at his season average of 9.7 and he is a 6'5" Freshmen. Was not our best rebounding game

Duquesne is 4th in the Nation in 3PG% Defense and with URI going 4-15 on 3FGs Duquesne played to that strength. URI is 12th in 3FG% defense

Dambrot said he would slow the game down and he was successful at doing that. His team came in to a sold out arena, playing a Top 25 team that has been blowing away most A10 opponents, starts two freshmen while we are a Senior laden team and they gave us a huge scare.

Thought I saw Rene Castro having words with Dambrot when he came out of the game in the 2nd half. Anyone see that? Was Castro mad at Dambrot? I wasn't sure.

Just fortunate to get this win today. Half way through Conference and (9-0) Whew! On to UMASS Tuesday night.
5 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote:Stan makes the shot and...

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

Stan misses the shot (and URI loses)...

"Terribly disappointing"
"Laid an egg on national TV"
"Dambrot outcoached Danny"
"Goodbye ranking"
"Too much standing around and 1-on-1 on offense"
Aren't we lucky that it's your first day watching sports and you have chosen to spend it with us!
12 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Umm...yeah. Welcome to watching sports?
...and...why watching sports is so freeking awesome...
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Wow! Relieved to get that W...
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

Is there a way to hear Steve and Don's call of the final play?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Umm...yeah. Welcome to watching sports?
Plus if he misses the shot it goes to OT - they don't lose.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

To score 38 points in the 2nd after that first half showing with terrible shooting and zero confidence even through the first 4 minutes of the next half...wow. All grit and balls as Kevin Garnett would say!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:Fordham 2.0
I wish I loved anything as much as you love declaring something 2.0 and being wrong about it.
16 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I was impressed with Lewis and thought Castro played well. Was pretty unimpressed with Williams. I know he had 9, but 7 of those were by accident (banked in 30 footer that would have missed by 8 feet without the backboard there, left handed prayer in traffic when he couldn't even see the basket, and a weird short-armed runner that also would have missed badly but was saved by the backboard). Kid plays out of control and his game is ugly.
Duquesne outrebounded URI by 12 and the Freshman Williams had 10 rebounds - double the number of rebounds of the highest rebounder for URI. He averages 9.7 rebounds per game so we did not do a great job keeping him off the boards. He also played a game high 37 minutes and his last two games played 47 and 42 so maybe a bit tired? EC and Terrell played 34 minutes each so shows the confidence Dambrot has in the kid

And in those last two games Williams in 44.5 minutes per game he averaged 24.5 ppg and 9.5 rpg. He hit 14-24 on three pointers the last 2 games for 58%. I was praying he doesn't go off and get hot. But he only took 9 shots and hit 4 so he did not force much. Could also be the defense we put on him to slow down his offense - but we did not stop his rebounding.

Williams is on track to be Freshman of the year in the conference. 4 Weeks he has won the award.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I was expecting more. He's a good rebounder from the wing. I didn't think his offensive game was very advanced for what I expected having seen the numbers he's put up this season.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Aren't we lucky that it's your first day watching sports and you have chosen to spend it with us!
Maybe I’m wrong but I thought we were tied at the end :?
5 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Big time 6th man effect today, building was HYPE, my voice is shot. Dan and players went crazy afterwards, went over and thanked crowd/student section as well. Hurley just gets it. TV replay please?
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a game what a atmosphere what a day. Thank you Uri, for everything.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

TruePoint wrote:I was expecting more. He's a good rebounder from the wing. I didn't think his offensive game was very advanced for what I expected having seen the numbers he's put up this season.
I was surprised how little he was involved. Especially in the 1st half. He did a lot of standing in the corner.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

This could be my favorite win of the year to date!! Extremely well coached Dukes team giving its best shot to beat a ranked team, ranked team (our beloved) finally puts up a bit of a clunker, but pulls out the defend of home court, I love it! Also, while I love running away with games, games like this can help keep a team focused going forward.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Great to see Roady Jay in the house today!
4 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Puck Frovidence wrote:Big time 6th man effect today, building was HYPE, my voice is shot. Dan and players went crazy afterwards, went over and thanked crowd/student section as well. Hurley just gets it. TV replay please?
Rhodysurf should have it up in a day or so
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
You’re the worst.
6 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Mongo wrote:I truly think EC was taking in the moment. He has been through so much, he looked more emotional about the win than upset he didn’t get the last shot. Btw, where are we without Jeff Dowtin? His clock and play management on that last possession was so damn smooth. He deserves a ton of credit. If Langevine starts playing like he has in the past 2 games on the rebounding/defensive end, the sky is the limit for our team. His presence makes a tremendous difference.

Agreed on EC. When shot went down he immediate bent over and you could tell he was emotional. That team left everything they had out on the court to win that game. The game was reminding me of 1988 and how Duquesne came into Kearney and knocked us out of the top 25. The 88 team lost 4 conference games that year 2 to #1 Temple and 2 to Duequesne.

The other thing was that crowd. Wow is all I can say!!! Hurley was right the crowd carried the team through that game. Kind of like the Eagle fans when the Falcons were driving at the end for the last touchdown. The crowd wasn’t going to let that happen
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

That was a great college basketball atmosphere.. Ballsy win keyed by ratcheting up the D.... Don't win that game without us the 7000 plus pushing them through.. No boos.. No negativity.. Loved the ending... Next....
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Need Steve and dons radio call
3 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Everyone in my row was either sitting on the edge of their seats or standing up for like the last 3 minutes of the game. Place went bazookas when Stan hit the shot. EC had 20 points in the game. He carried the team to victory.
2 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Overall, I’m happy with the win and the grit. But a couple of thoughts below.

When we got behind, everyone went into attack the basket mode except Garrett who was smart enough to realize the jumper was the better shot. Seems like JT and EC are thinking I have to be aggressive and attack the basket because we’re behind. This compounds the problem against teams with long athletic guards like Duquesne and Alabama. Just because the shot is close to the rim doesn’t make it a good shot especially when the defense is set. This team is at its best when the ball is moving or when the penetration is from Dowtin and leads to a pass for a 3 or when the penetration is from JT and EC in transition when the defense is scrambling. We saw more of that in the second half including the game-winner by the Stanimal. (I love that nickname!)

And Dowtin had a turnover today. He lost the ball out of bounds dribbling to the basket sometime mid second half. Must’ve got the home scorer.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

8 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

TruePoint wrote:
If I could like that post 50 times...
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We don’t win this game without Jarvis today.

Every shot he hit seemed to be huge / stopped a Duquesne run.
3 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Puck Frovidence wrote:Big time 6th man effect today, building was HYPE, my voice is shot. Dan and players went crazy afterwards, went over and thanked crowd/student section as well. Hurley just gets it. TV replay please?
Rhodysurf should have it up in a day or so
.....old school here, I have a video of the last play taken from my seat, by my son, can’t figure out how to load here.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

"Incredible win"
"Tremendous grit"
"Amazing"
"Making a statement"

"Terribly disappointing"
"Goodbye ranking"
Be honest, how pissed were you when Stan hit it? Did you have your whole post about the loss typed out already?
7 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thank god EC took over the game late. Team did not play well for the second straight game since getting ranked. Were able to still get the wins but this will not be the case if they play like this in the next two on the road. Understand that they are due for a bad game given how they have played for so much of the streak. I am ok with a single bad outing as long as it does not become a trend. Would not have been good to lose at home with two game road trip coming up.

Great crowd that was just waiting to explode today. Team did not give it much to cheer about until the last ten minutes. Duquesne's strategy to work the clock really took Rhody out if its rhythm. Dukes were very disciplined and have to give their coach and players credit as they chose a good strategy and adhered to it. Seem to get rattled with more URI pressing and the pressure of the moment and fatigue may have gotten to them. Felt bad as they fought back from the short lived URI six point lead with some 20 seconds left only to lose in heartbreaking fashion. Was a bit out of the recent norm for Rhody to get the win on the last second shot on the Ryan Center court. Sent the big crowd home happy as a win is a win.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote:We don’t win this game without Jarvis today.

Every shot he hit seemed to be huge / stopped a Duquesne run.
Fact!

Nor do we win without EC

or Jeff

or Cyril

and Berry had some huge buckets

and Jared had some big plays and made most of his free throws

and then Stan...

and the crowd...

This was a really great day, really fun game. Total team effort...

Now let's all go get laid, and we'll bring the pain to Amherst.
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Great afternoon at the friendly confines of the Ryan Center. There were people lining up to get in at ten forty. We win, in part, because someone always steps to win a game. Jarvis, no points 4 fouls against Fordham. Today his offense kept us from totally disappearing and great defense in the second half. Who will be the heroes on Tuesday? Don’t know but this is one heck of a ride!
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

For so many years, you would just know that Stan's shot wasn't going in. Now, I knew that thing was down before he even caught it.
6 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Great win!! Not quality wise - but really really important because of all the reasons you guys have been talking about... top 25 ranking... students back... new fans in the building... national tv... more publicity... etc etc

Dangerous road trip coming up with @ umass and @ vcu but we should be feeling confident! So many good players on this team
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI'21 wrote:Great win!! Not quality wise - but really really important because of all the reasons you guys have been talking about... top 25 ranking... students back... new fans in the building... national tv... more publicity... etc etc

Dangerous road trip coming up with @ umass and @ vcu but we should be feeling confident! So many good players on this team
How was it in the student section today? :D
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

6 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

RIFan wrote:
Great clip thank you!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

RIFan wrote:
can we get Steve and don's call with this vid? or 105's?
only thing that would (maybe) make it better
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just saw the highlight on ESPN halftime report, the Ryan Center looked fantastic.
3 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

btw that clip is from koch's phone (I'm like 1000%)
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Just saw the highlight on ESPN halftime report, the Ryan Center looked fantastic.
have seen it on a couple different channels...am thinking maybe that doesn't happen if they aren't ranked?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyrudder wrote:
RIFan wrote:
can we get Steve and don's call with this vid? or 105's?
only thing that would (maybe) make it better
Here
....can I email video to someone.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

NJRhodyFan wrote:On a separate note, did anybody notice EC's reaction when Stan hit the game-winner? All the other players rushed Stan and formed a huge pile on the court while EC stood alone off to the side and casually untucked his jersey while staring blankly into the stands. I watched the replay a few times. Just seemed like an odd reaction considering the circumstances, almost as if he was annoyed that he wasn't the one to hit the shot.
My initial thought when I read this was "the kid must have just been exhausted." He carried the team on his back for a lot of the second half. This is not a team where guys sulk because they aren't the hero - goes against everything I think I know about these guys.

I think this video below confirms that take. We get an extended view of EC post-shot because of the angle. He was just gassed.

(h/t to RIFan, who originally posted the vid. It won't imbed in a quote so had to unquote his post.)
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't know about Steve and Don's call...but I did hear it and you can imagine Steve was as excited as everyone else! I was relegated to watching from the man cave...I watch the TV but listen to Steve and Don.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

theblueram wrote:
URI'21 wrote:Great win!! Not quality wise - but really really important because of all the reasons you guys have been talking about... top 25 ranking... students back... new fans in the building... national tv... more publicity... etc etc

How was it in the student section today? :D
Packed!

With an exciting finish like that you know people will be back
1 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Someone got the full game replay up already. Enjoy!
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

this guy has the radio with the video! If you look close you can also see Steve through his hands up in excitement.

Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
5 x