Which URI "All Star" Team Would Be Best from the NCAAT Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Which URI Coach's All-Star Team Is Best?

Tom Penders Squad - '86-'88 - 1 NCAAT, Sweet 16 - Silk Owens, Kenny Green, etc
8%
Al Skinner's Squad - '88-'97 - 2 NCAAT - 2 NIT - Carlos Esterling, Michael Andersen, young '98 team, etc
3%
Jim Harrick's Squad - '97-'99 - 2 NCAAT, Elite 8, A10 title - Tyson, Cat, ARD, Odom, etc
79%
Jerry D's Sqaud - '99-'01 - LOL - Zack Marbury, Tiger Womack, Tip Vinson, etc
No votes
Jim Baron's Squad - '01-'12 - bunch O'NIT's - Jimmy Baron, Will Daniels, Delroy, etc
3%
Dan Hurley's Squad - '12-present - 1 NCAA, 1 NIT, A10 title - EC, Hass, Jared, etc
8%

Total votes: 39

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Which URI "All Star" Team Would Be Best from the NCAAT Era

Unread post by Blue Man »

Since things continue to be great, midas whale have a poll about something to stir things up.

I chose to go back to only '86 - since that's the year after the NCAA tournament expanded to 64, and after Malone was fired posting 2 dismal seasons. If so many people get mad that any of Jack Kraft's squad can't be picked I'll edit it and include them too. I didn't think we were missing too much by keeping Claude English's team out either.

I did it by coaches and the players they coached. To make this reeeeally interesting - feel free to take "best" however you want. Best in a head to head matchup against each other. Best in an NCAA touranment for their era. Whatever, totally subjective.

You can assemble whatever squad you wanted to play in that coach's system, in that era.

For me, this actually got tough the more I thought about it. I did this immediately thinking I was going to go Harrick - because the '98 team with Odom in the starting lineup over Josh King, wins a national championship running away.

There's an incredible case to be made for '88 - because Silk and Garrick were near unstoppable. Add in Kenny Green and Bonzie and it's wild to think they didn't go further in the dance.

Baron certainly brought talent here, they did technically have the winningest 4 year span in program history. Jimmy is probably the greatest shooter we'll ever see. Could actually be one of the deepest you could put together when you think about it. Some lineup could see Dawan, Jimmy, Delroy, Will Daniels, Kaheim with players like Cothran, Ulmer, Bitee, Woodward, Maqruis, some giant 7 foot guy, Eaves, Hazelton, etc.

I really do think, and I may be drunk on Koolaid, that this year's team (EC, Jared, Jarvis, Stan as seniors) with Hass and KI may cause the biggest problems for everyone. They'd lack size, but could probably play at a faster pace than any of the other teams could - and the depth is probably unmatched.

It came down to Hurley's team or Harrick's, and I'm thinking Hurley only because of the depth.

If it were Harrick's squad: Tyson, Cat, Odom, ARD, Luther - Preston, Josh King...and then who else? If they were going up against Hurley's squad I think their starting 5 creates serious matchup problems...but ARD and Luther played much bigger than they were. Hass wouldn't be totally outgunned because of his athleticism. I don't think Hurley would play that game inside out, as that's probably where Harrick's team wins.

I'd start Jeff, Jared, EC, KI, and Hass - bringing Stan, Jarvis, TJ, Berry, Munford, and maybe even Biruta. '98's starters probably cause us problems up front/with Odom, but I think the bench locks theirs down.

Hurley 75 Harrick 72

I could also be way off and I'll just wait for one of the 78's to tell me what's actually correct :D
Last edited by Blue Man 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Which URI "All Star" Team Would Be Best from the NCAAT Era

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

to me the Harrick 97-99 squad runs away with this one. No one on the Hurley squad is stopping Odom and ARD

I say Baron is #2.

a Delroy, Will Daniels, Seawright front line is no joke and probably too much for Hass/KI to handle.

backcourt they give up some, but not a whole lot with Dawan and Jimmy. Dawan against Terrell would be an amazing match up to watch...fire vs fire

If you are going with a complete team then Baron all stars get more distance bringing Cothran, Ulmer and Woodward off the bench.

in addition to Dawan/Terrell, I want to see Ulmer and Hass go at each other. 2 hyper athletic forwards with Hass being stronger and Ulmer being the better leaper.

1. Harrick's squad
2. Baron's squad
3. Hurley's squad

assuming they all have the same imaginary identical coach. if they have who coached them, flip Baron and Hurley's squads.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Man, that's a great question! As good as the 88 team was (and they were spectacular - it was my freshman year and got me hooked on Rhody hoops for good), and we don't yet know the ceiling for this hopefully still young Hurley era, I'm going with a Harrick led squad of:

Tyson, Mobley, ARD, Clay, Odom, with King, PMurph, T-Bell, and Ed Brown on the bench. That would have made a phenomenal team. To me, this closely beats a Hurley squad of this year's team plus Iverson, Martin, and Xavier Mumford.

Starters: Dowtin, Matthews, Mumford, Iverson, Martin with Berry, Langevine, Terrell, Garrett, Robinson off the bench (or switch Mumford and Terrell).

Man, I'm having trouble deciding between the two!

PS: Blue Man, technically, Brendan Malone wasn't fired. He left in October 1986 to go to the NBA. We hired Penders from Columbia or Fordham after that. Greatest loss of a coach ever!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:to me the Harrick 97-99 squad runs away with this one. No one on the Hurley squad is stopping Odom and ARD

I say Baron is #2.

a Delroy, Will Daniels, Seawright front line is no joke and probably too much for Hass/KI to handle.

backcourt they give up some, but not a whole lot with Dawan and Jimmy. Dawan against Terrell would be an amazing match up to watch...fire vs fire

If you are going with a complete team then Baron all stars get more distance bringing Cothran, Ulmer and Woodward off the bench.

in addition to Dawan/Terrell, I want to see Ulmer and Hass go at each other. 2 hyper athletic forwards with Hass being stronger and Ulmer being the better leaper.

1. Harrick's squad
2. Baron's squad
3. Hurley's squad

assuming they all have the same imaginary identical coach. if they have who coached them, flip Baron and Hurley's squads.
I actually agree with this IF and only IF Baron is NOT the coach. If we can also pick who coaches said players from the era, then this would definitely challenge some of my thoughts. But I was assuming the coach from that era had to coach the players, so that Harrick or Hurley wouldn't be coaching Jimmy Baron Jr, and Seawright, etc.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I think Harrick's team was the best. But the '78 team should definitely be in the conversation....Sly Williams (the best to ever wear the Keaney Blue), Jiggy Williamson, Stanley Wright, Jimmy Wright, Irv Chatman, John Nelson, Percy Davis, Phil Kydd...four 1000 point scorers, the 3rd best PG behind Silk and Tyson in Jiggy, great all around player in Stan, great rebounder and shot blocker in Chatman, great shooter in Nelson, and a very good bench in J.Wright, Percy and Phil. Also, Randy Wild, who set a mean pick and maybe the toughest guy who has played for us.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:to me the Harrick 97-99 squad runs away with this one. No one on the Hurley squad is stopping Odom and ARD

I say Baron is #2.

1. Harrick's squad
2. Baron's squad
3. Hurley's squad

I actually agree with this IF and only IF Baron is NOT the coach. If we can also pick who coaches said players from the era, then this would definitely challenge some of my thoughts. But I was assuming the coach from that era had to coach the players, so that Harrick or Hurley wouldn't be coaching Jimmy Baron Jr, and Seawright, etc.
Baron would be the coach. Each coach aligns with their team.

If we start picking and choosing coaches, then we might do an overall "best" team - which can be another poll at some point lol.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I think Harrick's team was the best. But the '78 team should definitely be in the conversation....Sly Williams (the best to ever wear the Keaney Blue), Jiggy Williamson, Stanley Wright, Jimmy Wright, Irv Chatman, John Nelson, Percy Davis, Phil Kydd...four 1000 point scorers, the 3rd best PG behind Silk and Tyson in Jiggy, great all around player in Stan, great rebounder and shot blocker in Chatman, great shooter in Nelson, and a very good bench in J.Wright, Percy and Phil. Also, Randy Wild, who set a mean pick and maybe the toughest guy who has played for us.
Oh yeah, add Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw who came in 79, also on Kraft's team ,and also both 1000 point scorers.
1 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

I say Baron is #2.

1. Harrick's squad
2. Baron's squad
3. Hurley's squad

If we start picking and choosing coaches, then we might do an overall "best" team - which can be another poll at some point lol.
then that bumps Hurley's team to #2 in my post.

This did bring back the anger though, all that talent and no tourneys...Imagine giving Hurley the 07-08 squad:

Daniels, Jimmy, Seawright, Parfait, Delroy, Cothran, Ulmer, Mbang, Marquis Jones
3 x
---
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
steviep123 wrote:

This did bring back the anger though, all that talent and no tourneys...Imagine giving Hurley the 07-08 squad:

Daniels, Jimmy, Seawright, Parfait, Delroy, Cothran, Ulmer, Mbang, Marquis Jones
What a waste! Should have at least made the show. I'll never say a team should have "at least won a couple of games" only b/c anything can happen in that tourney (part of what makes it so awesome!). But I'll say that team definitely should have (and with better coaching, would have) made the tourney with the potential to win a couple of rounds.
Last edited by steviep123 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

What a waste! Should have at least made the show. I'll never say a team should have "at least one a couple of games" only b/c anything can happen in that tourney (part of what makes it so awesome!). But I'll say that team definitely should have (and with better coaching, would have) made the tourney with the potential to win a couple of rounds.
not to derail the thread, but on 2/10 that year they were sitting at 20-4...finished 21-10
0 x
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kraft's mid-70s to mid-80s teams had the 4th all time leading scorer (Sly, in 3 years), 7th (Pappy Owens), 15th (Jiggy), 24th (Stanley Wright), 26th (Jimmy Wright) and 34th (Marc Upshaw). Interestingly, the Wright brothers finished 13 points apart, Stan with 1346 and Jimmy with 1333.
My starting lineup would be...Jiggy at PG, Pappy at SG, Stan at SF, Sly at PF and Irv Chatman at C. Bench would be Jimmy Wright, Marc Upshaw, Carlton Smith, Phil Kydd, Percy Davis, John Nelson and Roland Houston. But I'd still take Harrick's roster, slightly edging this team.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Don't forget, Harrick also had TBell, an incredible athlete. Final score Harrick 92, Kraft 88........two high powered offensive teams.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Adding Odom to the Elite 8 team has to be the best. We were a turnover away from reaching the final 4. My heart will always go with the 88 group though. 6 guys and guards that played 40 minutes a night. Tough as nails and should have beaten Duke.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I voted for Harrick's guys but would have voted for Kraft's Sly and company. If John Nelson's shot went down they would have gone to the final 4. I believe Duke trounced all till they got there.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

wgracie99 wrote:I voted for Harrick's guys but would have voted for Kraft's Sly and company. If John Nelson's shot went down they would have gone to the final 4. I believe Duke trounced all till they got there.
Absolutely. I can still see Nellie's beautiful bank shot rolling around the rim and falling out. I watched that game somewhere in the Memorial Union where they had TVs set up. What a heartbreaker.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

steviep123 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

What a waste! Should have at least made the show. I'll never say a team should have "at least won a couple of games" only b/c anything can happen in that tourney (part of what makes it so awesome!). But I'll say that team definitely should have (and with better coaching, would have) made the tourney with the potential to win a couple of rounds.
I think with the 3 additional teams that make it now, they probably would of been in Dayton playing a first 4 game. but that team should of dance and melted down with lack of coaching ability and finishing. If nothing else, this team knows how to finish.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The problem with the Hurley teams is that they don't have anybody who could have handled either Sly or Lamar. Sly was the same size as Hass, with incredible skills. Lamar was 6-9"-6"10" with skills almost as good as Sly. Either would score at will. The guard matchups of any era would be awesome though.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Baron's players didn't have their peak years align. They were all different years. I think Hurley and Harrick's teams were SO good because like this year we have everyone at their peak.

Peak Jimmy didn't play with peak Dawan, peak Daniels, peak Cothran, peak Delroy, obviously a peak Seawright. They were all spread out over a 5 year period. Parfait was exceptional.

98 beats everyone with Odom on the court.
Last edited by Seawrightspostgame 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The etc. on the Penders team is Tommy Garrick. Pretty good etc.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

My heart would like to go with the Pender's team, especially with a Kenny Green with two good knees (two of my all-time favorite moments were that team putting a beat down on PC at the Dump, and beating Syracuse inn the NCAA's), but my head and my eyes say Kraft's Teams. Phenomenal athletes, size, speed, everything. And note that they were playing in the era before the 3 point shot. Had they had it back then, John Nelson might be in books as one of Rhody's top career scorers. I was just a kid, but it still kills me that a guy who made his living making 20 foot shots missed a bunny that would have beat Duke. Still hurts.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't like that Harrick gets credit for Tyson and Cuttino and not Skinner. I get giving ARD and Preston to Harrick, I guess, because they played the same amount of years with Harrick as they did with Skinner. But Skinner recruited all of those guys. The only guy who Harrick brought in on that 97-98 team was Tory Jefferson. Even Clay, who never played for skinner, was brought over as a transfer by Al during his last year. Harrick gets all the credit for the 98-99 team winning the A10 because even though that team was also mostly Al's players it wouldn't have won without Odom, who never would have been at URI without Harrick.

Really, Harrick should get Jerry D's team from above plus Lamar, Al should have some combination of the team he was given here and the team Harrick was given (minus Lamar), and Jerry D should get nothing.

Also, the "etc." here takes the fun out of it. The debate on the five guys for each coach's era would be as much fun as which era would win against the others.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote:I don't like that Harrick gets credit for Tyson and Cuttino and not Skinner. I get giving ARD and Preston to Harrick, I guess, because they played the same amount of years with Harrick as they did with Skinner. But Skinner recruited all of those guys. The only guy who Harrick brought in on that 97-98 team was Tory Jefferson. Even Clay, who never played for skinner, was brought over as a transfer by Al during his last year. Harrick gets all the credit for the 98-99 team winning the A10 because even though that team was also mostly Al's players it wouldn't have won without Odom, who never would have been at URI without Harrick.

Really, Harrick should get Jerry D's team from above plus Lamar, Al should have some combination of the team he was given here and the team Harrick was given (minus Lamar), and Jerry D should get nothing.

Also, the "etc." here takes the fun out of it. The debate on the five guys for each coach's era would be as much fun as which era would win against the others.
The etc was an invitation for people to set their own top 5/bench. I didn't want to pick a starting 5 from each era because that opens up a whole lot more doors for arguments I'm not equipped to defend lol.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Fun to think back on all of those teams.
0 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

I started watching URI the 98 season when I was nine years old (parents had season tickets). It was an unbelievable year to be introduced to the RAMS, I still remember stopping up top for a pretzel on the way to the seats. Anyway, for that reason I can only make a decision based on the 98 season on. I decided to break it down based on a starting 5, 6th man, and coaching. I considered bench as a whole, but when you can pull from multiple years it does not make as much of a difference as pulling from just one season. Based on all these factors in the end I just think the late 90's team is overwhelming. I think the three best players in the past 20 or so years are all on the Harrick team (Wheeler, Mobley, Odom). Terrell and Wheeler are close in my opinion, but Wheeler was such a dynamic player on offense. The two biggest things that made me go with the Harrick team was the tape (memory and youtube highlights haha). As athletic as this team is, I just don't see how they could hang with the combination and athleticism of the late 90s team. Odom and Mobley were such smooth and athletic players. The other thing I looked at was the competition. The 98 and 99 teams played much tougher competition in my opinion. Obviously the conference was better back then, and they had a much tougher OOC schedule. Second is Hurley's team and Baron's team (my college years) are an automatic third based on coaching. When it came down to the end of the season you always knew they would fall short. Although, I do think seeing Delroy, Daniels, and Ulmer on the court all at once would be fun.

Hurley:
Starting: Dowtin, Terrell, Matthews, Iverson, Martin
Bench: Robinson
First Man Out: Garrett

Harrick:
Starting: Wheeler, Mobley, Odom, ARD, Clay
Bench: Murphy
First Man Out: King

Baron:
Starting: Robinson, Baron, James, Daniels, Ulmer
Bench: Seawright
First Man Out: Cothran
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Can we include the 2018 class?

That makes things a lot more interesting for me. I expect that class to be the most successful class that Hurley will have here.... I know they haven't proven a thing yet, but imagine Jermaine Harris and Hass in their prime together? Scary...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I started getting really involved with Rhody in the 1991-92 season when they made a lil run in the NIT w/Jeff Kent, Andre Samuel, Abdul Fox, etc. My folks had season tix from that season till the middle of the Baron yrs (2007)

Talent wise I'm not gonna have Skinner's era/teams as my pick, but one of my best memories is having friends over to watch the 1993 1st round game vs Purdue and Al basically making everyone else besides "Big Dog" Glenn Robinson beat us

Gonna have to go with the Harrick teams - Wheeler, Cat, Odom, ARD, Clay w/Murphy on bench in a close game vs Hurley - Dowtin, Terrell, EC, Hass, Iverson w/X off the bench
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote:I started getting really involved with Rhody in the 1991-92 season when they made a lil run in the NIT w/Jeff Kent, Andre Samuel, Abdul Fox, etc. My folks had season tix from that season till the middle of the Baron yrs (2007)

Talent wise I'm not gonna have Skinner's era/teams as my pick, but one of my best memories is having friends over to watch the 1993 1st round game vs Purdue and Al basically making everyone else besides "Big Dog" Glenn Robinson beat us

Gonna have to go with the Harrick teams - Wheeler, Cat, Odom, ARD, Clay w/Murphy on bench in a close game vs Hurley - Dowtin, Terrell, EC, Hass, Iverson w/X off the bench
I also wanted to add, imagine being able to use these teams or the top players from each era in NBA Jam! that would be awesome!
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

wpbrown8267 wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:I started getting really involved with Rhody in the 1991-92 season when they made a lil run in the NIT w/Jeff Kent, Andre Samuel, Abdul Fox, etc. My folks had season tix from that season till the middle of the Baron yrs (2007)

I also wanted to add, imagine being able to use these teams or the top players from each era in NBA Jam! that would be awesome!
That for sure will be next weeks poll
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:I think Harrick's team was the best. But the '78 team should definitely be in the conversation....Sly Williams (the best to ever wear the Keaney Blue), Jiggy Williamson, Stanley Wright, Jimmy Wright, Irv Chatman, John Nelson, Percy Davis, Phil Kydd...four 1000 point scorers, the 3rd best PG behind Silk and Tyson in Jiggy, great all around player in Stan, great rebounder and shot blocker in Chatman, great shooter in Nelson, and a very good bench in J.Wright, Percy and Phil. Also, Randy Wild, who set a mean pick and maybe the toughest guy who has played for us.
Jack Kraft was one of the best bench coaches in his day.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:

Nice! I could see Terrell/Hass throwing alley's like Payton/Kemp
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
give me Wheeler to Ulmer for alley oops
1 x
---
---
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm taking Jimmy Baron on my Rhody NBA Jam team no matter what. Will be throwing in fireball shots from all over the court.

My point on the "etc." is that everyone should be rounding out their starting fives! The prompt was good, blueman.

I was a young pup at that '93 tournament in Winston-Salem where we took out Big Dog and then got pounded by Eric Montross in the second round. Good times.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
Blue Man wrote:
give me Wheeler to Ulmer for alley oops
Jimmy Baron would literally never miss a 3 in this scenario.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

My opinion, best deepest and talented group of players.....88, 99, 05, 18 in that order.

Each team was made up very differently:
05 - A talented group, but the coach was not a good game coach. He didn't change his game plan much as the season went on....hence the mediocre Feb/Mar record.

18 - the deepest back court in history. The coach is a defensive genius and has consistently good game plans and game management.

99 - Had a superstar in Odom, and a solid point guard, and talented cast. Coach was really. really good.

88 - Six very talented players. I think four are in the URI Hall of Fame. Coached a solid defense and excelled on offense. Higher paced offence than the 99 team, and probably a more balanced team than 18.

If this was a "final four", they would be seeded with 88 and 99 playing a very close game in the finals. I don't know who would win.

.....However Hurley could sneak thru. He has surprised me and has managed and developed a model that could be sustained here for a long time. I hope he retires here in 2038.
Last edited by CTRamfan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

CTRamfan wrote:My opinion, best deepest and talented group of players.....88, 99, 05, 18 in that order.

05 - A talented group, but the coach was not a good game coach. He didn't change his game plan much as the season went on....hence the mediocre Feb/Mar record.

18 - the deepest back court in history. The coach is a defensive genius and has consistently good game plans and game management.

99 - Had a superstar in Odom, a legit NBA player in Cat, and a solid point guard. Coach was really. really good.

88 - Six very talented players. I think four are in the URI Hall of Fame. Coached a solid defense and excelled on offense. Higher paced offence than the 99 team, and probably a more balanced team than 18.

If this was a "final four", they would be seeded with 88 and 99 playing a very close game in the finals. I don't know who would win.

.....However Hurley could sneak thru. He has surprised me and has managed and developed a model that could be sustained here for a long time. I hope he retires here in 2038.
Mobley and Odom never played on the same team. Mobley, Wheeler and Josh King graduated off of the 1998 Elite Eight team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Mobley and Odom never played on the same team. Mobley, Wheeler and Josh King graduated off of the 1998 Elite Eight team.
I think Blue Man is doing eras, like the Harrick era, the Baron era, etc., not necessarily players who played together. That's why I added Pappy Owens and Marc Upshaw to Sly, Jiggy, etc. That was the Kraft era.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billy - see above. I was responding the post directly above mine. Updated to quote that post to avoid confusion.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is tough...no matter the era, you would be hard pressed to find 3 better players to compliment each other on a fantasy team than Silk Owens, Tommy Garrick and Kenny Green. The latter is easily the best pure post player we have had at URI in my time watching the team (mid 80s). Silk was slightly better than Tyson IMO, and unfortunately i wasn't old enough to experience Jiggy or the late 70s teams. Now, adding Lamar to the 98 group takes them to another level. Splitting hairs but I will give slight edge to Harrick's team (due to adding the #1 player in the country to an already stellar group) bc they had a bit more depth....then Penders 87-88 rosters....then Dan's best 5. I simply cannot vote for Baron's rosters, i always found fatal flaws in those teams (we always seemed to have disparate parts - ie 1 lineup would be our best offensive lineup but bad on D, our best D lineup couldn't score enough). He had some talent but his inability to put together a cohesive roster and have a defined style of play holds them all back in my eyes.

I think the latter brings up another area of coaching where Dan has shown tremendous growth. The role of GM and personnel management. He recruits specific types of kids, and recruits to the style of play he desires. There were many on the board at the time that didn't want us to take Stan Robinson. Remember that? Some thought we had enough guards, can you imagine this team without him? I can't. He epitomizes the style Dan wants to play, and he has been arguably our 2nd most impt player this season.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Let's take a look at that Harrick team. For those too young to remember or for those who have forgotten how good Tyson Wheeler was, watch this. Not only is he the 2nd all time leader in scoring, he is by far the leader in all time assists. he's also 2nd in all time steals, only 2 behind Keith Cothran. He is one of the best passers I have seen at any level. I might not put him ahead of Silk, but I might rate them even. Sly #1, Silk #2a, Tyson #2b.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Harrick's over Kraft's.....but it's close. As another who has seen them all, I tend to agree with what Billyboy has said.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm biased having been a student during the 98 season. I hope this class can achieve greater than they did.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYC Point Gods...

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Let's take a look at that Harrick team. For those too young to remember or for those who have forgotten how good Tyson Wheeler was, watch this. Not only is he the 2nd all time leader in scoring, he is by far the leader in all time assists. he's also 2nd in all time steals, only 2 behind Keith Cothran. He is one of the best passers I have seen at any level. I might not put him ahead of Silk, but I might rate them even. Sly #1, Silk #2a, Tyson #2b.
Omigosh...that was freakin' awesome!...never saw that before...should be mandatory viewing. And on top of all the Rhody awesomeness in the video, you also get: Elvis, Ted Nugent, BTO, Aretha Franklin, Chumbawumba, Mike Gorman ....

Serious thanks for posting!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

One thing I haven't seen considered in these matchups is how effective Hurleys teams defense would be.
I'm pretty sure they had better defense than any of those other teams.
That could be pivotal in some of these matchups.

Even so, the 98 team with Lamar Odom would be devastatingly good. Can't pick against them.
LO, Clay, Mobley, Wheeler, Murphy.
Way too hard to guard...
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

CTRamfan wrote:My opinion, best deepest and talented group of players.....88, 99, 05, 18 in that order.

99 - Had a superstar in Odom, and a solid point guard, and good surrounding cast. Coach was really. really good.

I am so sorry I committed such a serious error. OMG !
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

That 97-98 video got me all fired up...man were they good. I think I still have that VHS tape somewhere...probably in the same box as my wedding video. I think they would beat this years team by a comfortable margin. Tyson and Cat made it look easy...I think both were better than any guard on our current team.
Last edited by RIFan 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

I think the 2018 team is better than the 1998 team. I don’t expect the same tournament run this year but if they played a 7 game series, I’d take the 2018 team. As far as the groups go, I’d say the Harrick group because they got the best guard on the floor and the better frontcourt.

Dowtin vs Wheeler - Dowtin (I’m factoring in size and defense and how Wheeler was as a sophomore)

Terrell vs Mobley - Mobley (Mobley the best player of the 2 groups, Terrell may be the 2nd best)

Murphy vs Munford - Munford (Again factoring in size and defense plus the fact Munford playing on a better team)

Odom vs Iverson - Odom (biggest matchup problem for the Hurley group)

ARD vs Robinson - ARD (Robinson has closed the gap but still a little behind)

Clay vs Martin - Clay (in a big game, I’m going Clay)

King vs EC - EC (EC wins this matchup, shows the Hurley guard depth that EC down this far on the list)

Brown vs Berry - Berry (Not sure how much playing time they’d get but be fun to watch)

Bell vs Garrett - Garrett (Bell’s athleticism minimized vs a Hurley defense)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Man, so sad Rod couldn't be around for this thread.....would have loved to read his views on all of this.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Seeing the '98 video reminds me of how good you have to be to go that far. As constituted, our current team would be no match for the '98 team.

Picking the best teams from different eras by coach is a fun, but also futile exercise. Too many moving parts.

I look forward to the debates of picking a URI hall of fame starting 5 from the modern era.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote:Seeing the '98 video reminds me of how good you have to be to go that far. As constituted, our current team would be no match for the '98 team.

Picking the best teams from different eras by coach is a fun, but also futile exercise. Too many moving parts.

I look forward to the debates of picking a URI hall of fame starting 5 from the modern era.
Our current team plays much harder defense which is a major plus. Especially on the perimeter. They are a step behind offensively though. Perhaps it balances out? Not sure, but we will find out in March. I think the current team can match 98. We shall see.
0 x