Week #12 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

As Week #12 begins, URI gets into both national polls!! The Rams get #24 in the AP Top 25 Poll and #23 position in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Virginia retains the #2 in both polls. With twin losses last week, Seton Hall drops out of the Top 25. Nevada gets back into the AP poll with the #23 slot, just ahead of URI, but Nevada not ranked in the USA Today poll. Getting other votes in AP poll are Seton Hall with 25 votes and PC with two. In the USA Today other votes category, Nevada gets 90 votes, Seton Hall gets 55, PC gets 7, and Alabama gets 6 votes.

Villanova remains the #1 leader in both polls.

Note: A review of URI OOC opponents performance season to date will appear in a separate post.

The key ratings for URI at the start of Week #12 are:

RPI - 10 up four. The expected RPI is 14.
BPI - 29, up seven.
Sagarin - 32, up seven.
Pomeroy - 30, up nine.

No Monday action in the A-10.

Only one game among URI OOC opponents:

Holy Cross at American U. 7 PM. On CBSSN.
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week # 12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

The cumulative won-lost records of URI OOC opponents now stands at 142-73, 0.660, a nice increase over previous week. Here is a brief synopsis of where each of URI's OOC opponents stands season to date. My prediction is that six of the eleven OOC opponents will make the NCAAT. What do others think?

Code: Select all

Opponent	         Record	    RPI	                Comments

UNC Asheville	  12-9, 5-3	   138 	UNCA has underperformed and is currently in third place in Big South.
Nevada	         18-3, 7-0	    13	 Nevada holds first place in the MW and looks to be a NCAAT team.
Holy Cross	     5-14, 2-6	   321	 Mired in last place in Patriot. Worst team among URI OOC opponents.
Seton Hall	     15-5, 4-3	    17	 Stumbling of late in the rugged BE where they hold fifth place.
Virginia	       18-1, 7-0	     5	 ACC leader and a potential Final Four team.
Brown	           8-7, 1-1	   233	 Early league play has been encouraging.  A shot at Ivy tourney.
Providence	     14-6, 5-2	    38	 Strong recent play gives them third place in BE.
Alabama	        13-6, 5-2	    26 	Third place in SEC. Good shot for NCAAT
Charleston	     14-6, 5-3	   122	 Early stumble offset by good recent play puts them in third place tie in CAA.
Iona	           12-8, 6-2 	  116	 Two losses to Canisius hurt.  Will need to win MAAC tourney to get NCAAT.
Florida GC        14-8, 5-0	   168	 In first place in Atlantic Sun.  Will need to win league tourney.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ace »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

From the "you never know" dept....I know some people who thought AB would never ever be the player and contributor that Holloway would be...
(confession...I was one of those people)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

As a Div 1 athlete, with all the resources around you and all the chaperoning that goes on, it takes hard work to become ineligible 2nd semester. You almost never see that.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: Week # 12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

[quote="Obadiah"]The cumulative won-lost records of URI OOC opponents now stands at 142-73, 0.660, a nice increase over previous week. Here is a brief synopsis of where each of URI's OOC opponents stands season to date. My prediction is that six of the eleven OOC opponents will make the NCAAT. What do others think?

Locks: Virginia
Would have to totally screw up: Nevada, Seton Hall
In for now: Providence, Alabama

The rest are toss ups. FGCU, UNCA, Charlestown and Iona are all capable of winning conference tourneys. I think FGCU gets it done and Iona exerts some revenge and takes out Caniscius in the final.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Are we allowed to root for providence to win some games to boost our RPI, but to not get into the NCAA's? Asking for a friend.
3 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramulous wrote:Are we allowed to root for providence to win some games to boost our RPI, but to not get into the NCAA's? Asking for a friend.
Tell your friend No!
And isn't it nice to be in the Top 25 and be the only school from New England represented?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Holy Cross gets a nice road win at American, 60-57, and with the victory escapes the Patriot cellar.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:Holy Cross gets a nice road win at American, 60-57, and with the victory escapes the Patriot cellar.

This win has momentarily pushed URI's RPI to #9 as it jumped over Purdue.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The road in CBB can be brutal as seen tonight as #10 North Carolina fell at Virginia Tech, 80-69. Tech led by a nice margin most of the game.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Obadiah wrote:The road in CBB can be brutal as seen tonight as #10 North Carolina fell at Virginia Tech, 80-69. Tech led by a nice margin most of the game.
I agree and that’s why you can never take any team lightly.... including Fordham. I’m thrilled with what this team has done thus far.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Most losses for Top 10 teams so far this year at this time of season
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tuesday action in the A-10:

Davidson at Dayton. 7 PM. On CBSSN.

VCU at Saint Louis. 9 PM. On CBSSN.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

PC at #1 Villanova at the Wells Fargo Center. 6:30 PM. On FS1, CBSSN.

#18 Clemson at #2 Virginia. 7 PM. On ACCNE.

Alabama at Ole Miss. 8:30 PM. On SECN.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I’m flipping between the Davidson-Dayton and PC-Nova games. Davidson could be a tough matchup. They have big 6’11” dude with some moves that could give us problems.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote:I’m flipping between the Davidson-Dayton and PC-Nova games. Davidson could be a tough matchup. They have big 6’11” dude with some moves that could give us problems.
Doing the same over here. Can't decide whats better for us in the A10 game. Since we already beat Dayton I am kind of thinking I want them to get some good wins.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friazzz were up 24-15 with under 8 minutes in half and got outscored 24-6 to be down 39-30 at the half.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Would LOVE to see PC upset Villanova....but, dang...'nova plays the same D at (and above) the rim that Rhody plays on the perimeter...brutal
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Aldridge vs Cunningham is pretty fun to watch
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I decided to multi task. Go Dayton/Davidson on tv and PC/Nova on iPad
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Friazzz lose 89-69 to Villanova.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

reality check for Davidson tonight...Dayton is down, but they arent a scrub like Davidson has played so far
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Breaking news....Villanova is good. Avoid 2nd round matchup with them lol.....

Dayton scoreless in the last 6 minutes...on verge of choking the game away.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dayton up 2 with 32.6 secs. Get to CBSSportsNet!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

god damn, Virginia with a textbook lockdown.

Held #18 Clemson to 36 points for the game, and only 13 points total in the 2nd half. Unreal
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dayton survives 65-64.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

2 game lead now.....
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Total beatdown on the friars
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Dayton committed 6 turnovers, a marked contrast to the Flyers' game with URI when they made 21. Davidson had 9 turnovers, so when URI plays Davidson the Rams' defensive effort has to stymie Davidson into 17+ TO's while keeping Alridge somewhat in check and not allow other Davidson players to take up the slack.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:2 game lead now.....
That's why I was hoping Dayton would win, I wanted a little extra cushion
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good results for URI so far. Don't know that it matter THAT much for us, but probably a little better for us if VCU were to beat SLU, but I still kind of want to see SLU do well. I think they're better than they were early and may be starting to find their sea legs. Would be great if Bama could get a road win, but at the risk of being repetitive: road conference games are hard.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

VCU is a disappointment. Their roster isn’t bad by any means in a traditional A10. Just no playmaker at any level. Tillman has had some impressive stats this year but he’s not making that team better. I wonder what the reasons are down there that they are flying so low.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Aldridge is so good, just a joy to watch.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

TruePoint wrote:Good results for URI so far. Don't know that it matter THAT much for us, but probably a little better for us if VCU were to beat SLU, but I still kind of want to see SLU do well. I think they're better than they were early and may be starting to find their sea legs. Would be great if Bama could get a road win, but at the risk of being repetitive: road conference games are hard.
Watching this game I’m thinking slu is finding their way toward defending their home court. I think that is the first step in the direction of being good.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:2 game lead now.....
That's why I was hoping Dayton would win, I wanted a little extra cushion
It's also a good measuring stick for us for our psychological well being (our fans always need that!), because maybe seeing Dayton beat Davidson at home right after having gone in there and ran the Flyers off their floor will ease whatever anxiety over Davidson that I see people talking themselves into here.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I figured Dayton would win at home

I hope we don't get in Nova bracket they are excellent
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:god damn, Virginia with a textbook lockdown.

Held #18 Clemson to 36 points for the game, and only 13 points total in the 2nd half. Unreal
Incredible
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Da_Process_Survivor wrote:god damn, Virginia with a textbook lockdown.

Incredible
But consider it was a disastrous Saturday for Clemson
Donte Grantham, averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds tore his ACL vs Notre Dame and is out for the season
Zion Williamson, #2 ESPN, who many thought was heading to Clemson next year, surprised and announced Duke on Saturday night. Of course did not matter for the Virginia game but it was a downer for Tiger Fans

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 109687130/
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

VCU drains a 3 with 3.9 secs left to send their game vs. Saint Louis to OT
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Alabama had its four game winning streak ended by Ole Miss, 78-68. Another road loss casts a pall over Alabama's chances to get an at large NCAAT invite!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Trailing most of the game at Saint Louis, VCU gets a tie with three minutes left and then in a cat and mouse tactics centered on fouls, VCU put in a three point shot with 3 seconds left to tie game at 61. Now in overtime.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Incredible comeback by VCU to beat Saint Louis in OT, 75-74. Tough loss for an upcoming Billikens team.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Dayton won but I thought it was a terrible coaching performance by Anthony Grant. I dvred the game and just finished watching it. Davidson played a zone for virtually the entire second half and Dayton could not get the ball to Cunningham down low for the last 15 minutes or so of the game. He had a great first half but did nothing in the second because he did not see the ball. It makes you wonder if Dayton had ever seen a zone before.

Also, Peyton Aldrich was unstoppable in the second half when he got the ball down low. Grant refused to double team him and he was able to make 6 or 7 short shots (almost lay ups) that were basically uncontested.

I would grade Grant's peformance as a C-.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I had been thinking, of all the possible 1 seeds, I'd rather play Virginia before any of the others. Not so sure I feel the same way.... their defense has been so good. It almost looks like they're psychic on defense sometimes.

I still think we match up pretty well with them. Especially with Cyril and EC playing, but they are like textbook.

I think we don't match up too horrible with Nova either.

Duke would probably worry me the most. Bagley and Duvall are stupid good. Them going off and Grayson Allen is a recipe for a tough loss.

Either way, screw all them. If we play any of those teams we will be up for it and they won't have it easy with us.
2 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

PeterRamTime wrote:I had been thinking, of all the possible 1 seeds, I'd rather play Virginia before any of the others. Not so sure I feel the same way.... their defense has been so good. It almost looks like they're psychic on defense sometimes.

I still think we match up pretty well with them. Especially with Cyril and EC playing, but they are like textbook.

Duke would probably worry me the most. Bagley and Duvall are stupid good. Them going off and Grayson Allen is a recipe for a tough loss.

Either way, screw all them. If we play any of those teams we will be up for it and they won't have it easy with us.
Duke looks really good but they also start four freshman. Experienced teams always seem to do well in the tournament so I think I'd rather take my chances playing a young team like Duke than a more experienced team like Virginia.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Wednesday action in the A-10 besides #24 URI at Fordham. 7 PM. OnFacebook/Stadium:

Richmond at Duquesne. 7 PM.

Saint Joseph's at St. Bonaventure. 7 PM. On CBSSN.

UMass at La Salle. 7 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Florida Gulf Coast at North Florida. 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Gardner-Webb at UNC Asheville. 7 PM.

#23 Nevada at Wyoming. 11 PM. On ESPNU. Dangerous game for Nevada since Wyoming has already beaten Boise State on their home court and would like nothing more than to knock off a ranked team.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

big loss for the #1 cats

"Villanova announces Phil Booth out indefinitely with fractured bone in hand. Big blow to the Cats, who aren't very deep to start with, and to Booth, who missed all of last year with tendinitis."
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

josephski wrote:
PeterRamTime wrote:I had been thinking, of all the possible 1 seeds, I'd rather play Virginia before any of the others. Not so sure I feel the same way.... their defense has been so good. It almost looks like they're psychic on defense sometimes.

Duke looks really good but they also start four freshman. Experienced teams always seem to do well in the tournament so I think I'd rather take my chances playing a young team like Duke than a more experienced team like Virginia.
I think we're getting juuuuuust a bit ahead of ourselves.

Every team in the tournament is good. If you want to go far you have to beat a good team. Even the "bad" teams or the teams you think you can cakewalk over can beat you. That's the beauty of the tourney.

Lets worry about beating the piss out of Fordham and Duquesne this week.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Blue Man wrote:
josephski wrote:

I think we're getting juuuuuust a bit ahead of ourselves.

Every team in the tournament is good. If you want to go far you have to beat a good team. Even the "bad" teams or the teams you think you can cakewalk over can beat you. That's the beauty of the tourney.

Lets worry about beating the piss out of Fordham and Duquesne this week.
Right, I guess in general I'd rather play a young team, whether it's the first round or sweet sixteen. With all of our seniors that gives us a huge advantage over a lot of teams.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Rams are in midst of a critical five game span - two away games bookending the Duquesne home game - and we passed the first test at Dayton, so now we're talking about who we are going to play in the second round of the NCAAT!! Pleeeezzz. Talk about getting ahead of oneself.
2 x