Week #12 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by steviep123 »

Agreed....to quote the famous Winston Wolfe:, "let not go sucking each other's d***s just yet."
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Obadiah wrote:The Rams are in midst of a critical five game span - two away games bookending the Duquesne home game - and we passed the first test at Dayton, so now we're talking about who we are going to play in the second round of the NCAAT!! Pleeeezzz. Talk about getting ahead of oneself.
Yes Obadiah, thank you for slowing down the "Who are we playing in the NCAA tourney" talk haha! In the words of Belichick, on to Fordham!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I would like to play PC in the national championship game.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GoRhody website is now saying Duquesne game is sold out!!! And Davidson game is on low ticket alert.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's all slow down here guys. We should take the same approach as the team and our coach and that is "ONE GAME AT A TIME". All this speculation makes no sense. Let's start with kicking Fordham's ass big time.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

eli#10 wrote:Let's all slow down here guys. We should take the same approach as the team and our coach and that is "ONE GAME AT A TIME". All this speculation makes no sense. Let's start with kicking Fordham's ass big time.
Certainly by at least 14.5 points.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

As I’m streaming Rhody on FB, I’m also watching the Bonnies vs st joes on cbs sports network, man I got to say, josh ayeni is an absolute idiot!

Suspended when they played Dayton and around the 13 min mark in 2nd half against hawks he picks up a tech because he won’t shut up and it just so happens he already had 4 fouls, so now he’s done and totally hurts his team fouling out

What a turd
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Duquesne came from way back to tie it with 6 seconds left. Game now in overtime.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bonnies hang on to beat St Joe's 70-67. Duquense, as seem to be the mo, goes to OT at home but this time falls short to Richmond 77-73. LaSalle easily beats UMass 87-72.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Duquesne not holding up their end of the bargain. Now 5-3 coming to Kingston.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Yeah, Duquesne not holding up their end of the bargain. Now 5-3 coming to Kingston.
It's looking like Davidson is #2 in the league now.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Richmond has snuck up on VCU and Duq now. something to watch out for.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote:Bonnies hang on to beat St Joe's 70-67. Duquense, as seem to be the mo, goes to OT at home but this time falls short to Richmond 77-73. LaSalle easily beats UMass 87-72.
That was hilarious to watch the Klingon complain about a foul (illegal screen I think) at the end of that game. Like he doesn't get them usually his way.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Got lots of help from URI OOC opponents:

Florida Gulf Coast beat North Florida, 96-87 and moved their A-Sun record to 6-0.

UNC Asheville in a win over Gardner-Webb, 65-60.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote:Got lots of help from URI OOC opponents:

Florida Gulf Coast beat North Florida, 96-87 and moved their A-Sun record to 6-0.

UNC Asheville in a win over Gardner-Webb, 65-60.
Importantly regarding UNC-A, Radford picks up a tough road win at High Point in overtime to maintain their one game lead over several teams in the Big South. With their losses, Gardner-Webb and High Point drop to two games back, while UNC-A remained a game back. Winthrop and Campbell had road wins this week to keep pace with UNC-A one game back of Radford.

The regular season standings really matters in the Big South because after the higher seed hosts all the first round game, the highest remaining seed hosts each subsequent round, including the championship. So if UNC-A wins the regular season title, it will get to play the whole conference tournament on its own court. If it doesn't, after the first round it will play the rest of the games on Radford's or Winthrop's or whoever's home floor.

Because we want to see UNC-A get into the tournament and give us another win "against the field," it makes following the Big South kind of fun this year.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Glad our non conference opponents are gettin dirty.

I'm watching Cincinnati demolish Temple right now and it's making me think...what the hell happened to Temple?
They had so many really tough teams under Dunphy In the A-10 and since they've been in the American they just haven't gotten it going. Seems like their recruiting has gotten worse. No Juan Fernandez there to ruin your day or anything. I figured they'd really take off in the American.

Oh well.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not sure if we are tracking teams around us in the polls, but #20/22 Florida lost at home tonight to an average South Carolina team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nevada in a war right now 89-89 on espnu in OT with 3.3 left
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote:Nevada in a war right now 89-89 on espnu in OT with 3.3 left
Yeah still going.
Nevada down six with 1:13 left.
Really good game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah looks like Reno will fall a bit short
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Da Pack lost and the cowboys rushed the court.

104-103.

Bad for our RPI.

Good for moving up in the rankings if we win Saturday.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In an epic battle #23 Nevada lost in 2 OT to Wyoming, 104-103. To start game, Wyoming raced out to a 10-2 lead, but once Nevada caught up the teams were never more than 4 points apart for entire game. Jordan Caroline who had 29 points in game had a chance to win in game for Nevada at end of first OT. With Nevada down by one point, he had two free throws, got the first to tie game, but missed the second. Tough loss for Nevada which had just re-entered the AP Top 25 poll.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ouch Nevada
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote:Not sure if we are tracking teams around us in the polls, but #20/22 Florida lost at home tonight to an average South Carolina team.
I would think the teams that are slightly ahead of or slightly behind us in the polls would have to be considered 'games of interest', at least as much or maybe more than our opponents' games.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No A-10 games on Thursday evening and the only other game involving URI opponents is:

Charleston at Delaware. 7 PM. This is a critical road test for Charleston and given their stumble on the road against 1-7 Drexel,the Cougars have to step up their game in the hotly contest CAA where anyone of 8 teams are in contention for the lead.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Charleston has been miserable on the road, so would be good to see any sign that they might turn it around.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Charleston takes a nice road win at Delaware, 62-54, to give some credibility for their being selected as CAA preseason favorite. The Cougars are now tied for second with William & Mary. Northeastern is in first place and will entertain Charleston in a big game on Feb 1.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

#25 Michigan falls on the road at #3 Purdue.

#13 Ohio State loses at home to Penn State (RPI 115).

#21 Arizona State trails Utah at home in the second half.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ASU loses at home to Utah

Does that means Bobby gets unranked next week ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ASU trailed for a lot of the game, and by double digits at times, before coming back to take a small lead down the stretch. The game eventually went to OT, where Utah pulled it out on the road.

ASU went 12-0 in OOC and was at one point #3 in the country. They are now 3-5 in the Pac12 and seem to be in a tailspin. They're in 10th place in the 12 team league. Tough times in Tempe. I hope Bobby can get it straightened out.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:ASU trailed for a lot of the game, and by double digits at times, before coming back to take a small lead down the stretch. The game eventually went to OT, where Utah pulled it out on the road.

ASU went 12-0 in OOC and was at one point #3 in the country. They are now 3-5 in the Pac12 and seem to be in a tailspin. They're in 10th place in the 12 team league. Tough times in Tempe. I hope Bobby can get it straightened out.
They score in bunches and often are a lot of fun to watch on offense, but their defense can struggle to get stops. It’s opposite.

Good article on ASU, with Dan references because of course...
https://sports.yahoo.com/bobby-hurley-w ... 15059.html
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ace wrote:
TruePoint wrote:ASU trailed for a lot of the game, and by double digits at times, before coming back to take a small lead down the stretch. The game eventually went to OT, where Utah pulled it out on the road.

They score in bunches and often are a lot of fun to watch on offense, but their defense can struggle to get stops. It’s opposite.

Good article on ASU, with Dan references because of course...
https://sports.yahoo.com/bobby-hurley-w ... 15059.html
I love this line:

"there would be a long phone call with Danny – a ritual the brothers have maintained since they both became head coaches. Typically, the losing sibling pours out his frustrations while the other tries to look on the elusive bright side. This is Hurley family therapy."
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No A-10 games on Friday.

Only game involving URI OOC opponents is Dartmouth at Brown. 7 PM.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Brown led most of the game, a 13 point margin at the half, but Dartmouth clawed back into game and Brown needed a buzzer beater to get the win, 64-62
Last edited by Obadiah 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

a win is a win, now lets go take care of our business tomorrow!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Besides Duquesne at #24 URI. 12 Noon. On NBCSN, Saturday action in the A-10 includes:

VCU at George Mason. 2 PM. On CBSSN.

UMass at Fordham. 2 PM. On NBCSN

Dayton at Saint Louis. 4 PM. On CBSSN.

Saint Joseph's at Pennsylvania. 7 PM.

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

#2 Virginia at #4 Duke. 2PM. On CBS.

Lafayette at Holy Cross. 2 PM.

#12 Oklahoma at Alabama. Big 12/ SEC Challenge. 2:15 PM. On ESPN.

James Madison at Charleston. 3 PM.

High Point at UNC Asheville. 4:30 PM. On ESPN3.

Harvard at Brown. 6PM.

Iona vs. Manhattan at Nassau Coliseum. 7 PM.

Jacksonville at Florida Gulf Coast. 7 PM. On ESPN3.
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Not sure if we are tracking teams around us in the polls, but #20/22 Florida lost at home tonight to an average South Carolina team.
I would think the teams that are slightly ahead of or slightly behind us in the polls would have to be considered 'games of interest', at least as much or maybe more than our opponents' games.
I think it's more important to root for AP / USA Today rankings than RPI at this point. Top 25 is all about program exposure and excitement which helps recruiting, attendance, media attention, money into the program, etc., The average fan/recruit doesn't care whether we're #10 or #14 in RPI. They do care a lot whether we're #20, #24 or outside the top 25.

Therefore, if we're battling for rankings against Nevada and Seton Hall, I'm going to root for us to win and them to lose. I'll root harder for teams we haven't played in the top 25 to lose, but still. The more weeks we're in the Top 25 the better.

Many have said that Ken Pom and BPI matter more than RPI anyway. Those rankings have more to do with Rhody's win/loss and how much we win by than strength of schedule.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

VGA defeats Duke
Alabama defeats Oklahoma
3 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Big.

Even Holy Cross won.
1 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Charleston and UNC Asheville also won. Pretty solid day so far for our OOC opponents
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Khris Lane...remember him? goes for 25 and 12 in VCU's win today.....whatever has happened to Preston?

I guess we missed on that one....

UMass....have they quit?

St. Joes loses to Penn and the natives want Phil fired.....

Dayton shits the bed against St. Lou.......
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ASU up 1 over and Colorado early 2nd half.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Don't know where to put this, but reading the A10 board....supposedly LaSalle might be looking to leave the A10 and join the MAAC....

If there's any truth to that....go and take Fordham with you.....
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Gulf Coast won too :)
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote:Khris Lane...remember him? goes for 25 and 12 in VCU's win today.....whatever has happened to Preston?

UMass....have they quit?

Lane wouldn’t have played a lick for us. He’s averaging 7ppg on a team playing .500 ball. He’s not athletic, doubt he could play the D that our coach requires.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Preston obviously isn't very good on D either....he's been collecting dust on the bench the last few games.....

Yes Lane isn't great on D....the entire team isn't.....but they can score and playing them on the road might be our toughest remaining game.

Tillman will be a load. We do not matchup with him very well. Stan will really have his hands full.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rambone 78 wrote:Khris Lane...remember him? goes for 25 and 12 in VCU's win today.....whatever has happened to Preston?

UMass....have they quit?

They can have Lane, I’ll take our rotation and 17-3 record.
7 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Preston proved to me he can be serviceable early in the year.

Happy where we are and I trust that Dan will put him in at the right time if he ever does.

VCU will be a tough game. Probably the toughest environment we will play in the rest of the way. Toss up between them and the Bonnie's. I've been to VCU and it gets loud.

I'll also be there Friday :) :) :)
Can't wait to be in the middle of a horde of rabid VCU fans donning Keaney Blue.
Really hope we win for that reason too....
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think I’ll Be there too.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:

UMass....have they quit?

Lane wouldn’t have played a lick for us. He’s averaging 7ppg on a team playing .500 ball. He’s not athletic, doubt he could play the D that our coach requires.
Thanks for saving me the time to type this.
1 x