Keaney Blue

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Keaney Blue

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is there any way word can get out to people who don't know about this site? As the interest grows in URI basketball, it would be great to see more and more fans coming here. Could it be advertised at games (for free somehow)? Could it be put somewhere on gorhody.com? Casual fans could become more hardcore fans like most of us are. New fans could become more interested with interactions here. Just a thought. Trying to think of ways to keep adding numbers to our fan base.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Keaney Blue

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think one easy way would be a reply tweet to a URIMBB or Koch tweet that goes out to many Rhody fans. List the url for this site in the tweet and inform them of the discussion of Rhody hoops. I just read twitter. I do not have an account so I can't do the reply.
1 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

The more members that join the worse the content gets. Go on any big program's forum (Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St., etc) and you're going to have to read through a lot of garbage.
7 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

josephski wrote:The more members that join the worse the content gets. Go on any big program's forum (Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St., etc) and you're going to have to read through a lot of garbage.
Hmmm ... I could see that happening for huge programs with thousands upon thousands of posters. But I don't think we would have the same problem here because we don't have their history or cachet. Who knows - an infusion of new fans could be a good thing for this site. 8-)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Speaking of Keaney blue... is anyone else bothered by the blue they use on the cumberHORNS?

It's not Keaney blue! It's a different blue than the blue in the interlocking RI on the shorts.

It's the wrong blue damnit!

Why would they do that?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They should have a Keaney Blue night at the RC -- or do something to recognize and appreciate this small community of hard core fans.
But I digress, why market to your most passionate consumers!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote:They should have a Keaney Blue night at the RC -- or do something to recognize and appreciate this small community of hard core fans.
But I digress, why market to your most passionate consumers!
That's why I wonder if flyers or even postcards could be handed out to fans at the RC, or something like that. Maybe the casual fan or newer fan becomes more interested by talking to the fine gentlemen (and women) that we have here. Maybe the newer and more casual fans go to more games, tell their friends, buy more stuff, etc. If there is some way that Keaney Blue could help grow our fan base, I'm all for it. If some idiots join, there's always that "ignore" feature, or whatever it's called here.
Last edited by Billyboy78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's called "Friends & Foes"
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

josephski wrote:The more members that join the worse the content gets. Go on any big program's forum (Duke, Kentucky, Michigan St., etc) and you're going to have to read through a lot of garbage.
Even small forum communities have their share of garbage to scroll through *cough* baron 2.0 *cough* so I say bring on more members and let's grow this family.
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

im not even sure how i found this forum, but its become a must check for me multiple times daily. this is a true gem and i selfishly hope it doesn't get spoiled by the ignorant masses...
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Wow think of all the money I could make by growing KeaneyBlue and putting all the real news behind a paywall! We just need some ads on here too— the kind that pop up and force a video commercial to play. Those pay out big bucks. That Porsche is so close!

“Premium Rhody Talk”. Oh yeah!
► Show Spoiler
7 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

I think it is a great idea to get the KB name out. Although I recently signed up for the forum and rarely post, I have been visiting this site for years to get input on games and find out news on the program. I have attended games prior to going to URI and after graduating from URI. This site has definitely provided a resource on getting information on the program and understand how other fans feel about the team. I think the site could bring a lot of casual fans much closer to the program and therefore put more butts in the seats.
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

ATP, I know it lives in a separate thread, someplace on the board, but how is the account for Keaney Blue? is it time for the when ever it is needed drive to keep our wonderful community ad free and self-administered?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In November I paid upfront for the next year of hosting service and the domain registry. So that's about $200 and the registry is $15 annually.

Generous KB members have surprised me by using the Donate button at the bottom of each page at random times throughout the year. That's about $40 off the top of my head.

We should probably do a fundraiser as we approach the A10 tournament. In addition to covering the hosting fees (which I may need to upgrade based on some recent "too many users" messages which I'm still tracking down), I would like to treat TruePoint and Steve to some food and drink at Mews or somewhere for all their help keeping this place running.
3 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

thanks for the update! as we head into the stretch, we have the week off between @VCU on the 2nd and Davidson at home on the 9th. sounds like a good week for a new thread and to be obnoxious about something other then how we did at VCU.
0 x
ChicagoRam
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ChicagoRam »

I think getting the word out to other fans would be really great. I have followed the team from afar since I graduated but hadn't found my way to Keaney Blue until relatively recently. I feel far more connect to Rhody basketball because of KB now and I feel that has also driven more of my close alum friends to talk Rhody hoops more. I don't think I would have made the trip out for the Seton Hall and Virginia games this year if not for that connection.

Also, now that I have a better understanding of the use of the donations for KB I will be happy to contribute to the cause of hosting and/or providing those who make KB work a much deserved thank you in the form of a fun night out.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I think a small fund raising campaign for this site is a reasonable ask. Maybe come up with a goal amount to cover expenses and whatever else management deems prudent, and see what we can accomplish. I'd donate.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I would definitely donate as well. The keaneyblue forum has almost become an addiction. I do not post often but read just about everything. Little free time at work calls for a nice check of the forum hahah. I think this forum helps drive the interest and passion out of the fans just by simply talking or reading current information about the program and team with fellow fans . With the lack of a format locally to talk college hoops on sports talk radio what other place to turn to then the KeaneyBlue forum. I have personally witnessed several friends increase their level of interest in the program mainly starting with this forum. I personally was driven to buy season tickets several years ago for most of the same reasons. (Section 205 is the best obviously lol) Even if you get 10 more people to buy season tickets from promoting the forum you can deem that a success.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......almost an addiction.....?......no way.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote:I would definitely donate as well. The keaneyblue forum has almost become an addiction. I do not post often but read just about everything. Little free time at work calls for a nice check of the forum hahah. I think this forum helps drive the interest and passion out of the fans just by simply talking or reading current information about the program and team with fellow fans . With the lack of a format locally to talk college hoops on sports talk radio what other place to turn to then the KeaneyBlue forum. I have personally witnessed several friends increase their level of interest in the program mainly starting with this forum. I personally was driven to buy season tickets several years ago for most of the same reasons. (Section 205 is the best obviously lol) Even if you get 10 more people to buy season tickets from promoting the forum you can deem that a success.
Exactly the reason I started this thread. I believe this forum could help build the fan base fairly substantially if more fans became aware of it. An increase in the fan base also increases the probability that our coach stays for a while. I think we all want that now, do we not?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

PeterRamTime wrote:Speaking of Keaney blue... is anyone else bothered by the blue they use on the cumberHORNS?

It's not Keaney blue! It's a different blue than the blue in the interlocking RI on the shorts.

It's the wrong blue damnit!

Why would they do that?
The real Keaney Blue has been marginalized. It's almost not treated as our primary color any more. Long gone are the days when we had the "Keaney. The only blue that matters" t-shirt giveaway (which remains the far and away best giveaway in the history of this program) . This really bothers me by the way.
3 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

sevegny7 wrote:I would definitely donate as well. The keaneyblue forum has almost become an addiction. I do not post often but read just about everything. Little free time at work calls for a nice check of the forum hahah. I think this forum helps drive the interest and passion out of the fans just by simply talking or reading current information about the program and team with fellow fans . With the lack of a format locally to talk college hoops on sports talk radio what other place to turn to then the KeaneyBlue forum. I have personally witnessed several friends increase their level of interest in the program mainly starting with this forum. I personally was driven to buy season tickets several years ago for most of the same reasons. (Section 205 is the best obviously lol) Even if you get 10 more people to buy season tickets from promoting the forum you can deem that a success.
Would? You can do it now by clicking the Donate button below. I don't know if it's new, but I just noticed a monthly option which I chose. I won't miss the monthly donation, but the yearly amount is more than I usually give.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There is more information relating to this team and school than anywhere else on the internet, so yes this should absolutely be expanded to more fans via marketing or advertising.
3 x
GO RAMS
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody74 wrote:
Would? You can do it now by clicking the Donate button below. I don't know if it's new, but I just noticed a monthly option which I chose. I won't miss the monthly donation, but the yearly amount is more than I usually give.

I will definitely make sure to donate this year. Knowing more about the cost for the forum and application for the donation. I mainly meant I would definitely donate at a fundraising event for the forum of some sort if it was put together. If such a thing does not happen I will resort to online donation.
1 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Just donated $20. Thanks ATP, TruePoint and Steve for keeping this place running. We really have one of the best message board / forums in the A10 in my opinion.
3 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

In the past few hours, 6 KeaneyBlue members have donated $285.
I am ever so grateful and always happily reminded how generous our little Rhody Hoops community can be.

The best part about KeaneyBlue is its openness and lack of "premium" rooms/content or distracting/annoying advertisements. This is all possible because every year different members make donations to support the site and the team who helps keep it a great place to discuss University of Rhode Island Basketball and other topics.
8 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I just want to chime in to say that I also appreciate everyone's generosity in terms of the financial support people have given - when people volunteer to help with the bills it eliminates any tough decisions that could ever come up about paywalls and advertisements, which are counter to the whole idea ATP had when he started this thing.

Just want to make it clear to everyone that my moderate contributions here are a labor of love, and I would not accept anything of value in return - none of your hard earned american dollars that you give to keep the lights on here will ever find their way into my pocket (maybe I would take ATP up on the offer of a beer on keaneyblue, so maybe a very small number of your dollars will find their way into my belly, but I don't have much problem buying my own beer either).

To answer Billyboy's original question - the best marketing is always earnest word of mouth. If you want to grow this community, tell your friends who like URI (or basketball in general), tell the people you stand next to in the Rhody Pub, tell the people you sit next to in your seats. Spread the word.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote:To answer Billyboy's original question - the best marketing is always earnest word of mouth. If you want to grow this community, tell your friends who like URI (or basketball in general), tell the people you stand next to in the Rhody Pub, tell the people you sit next to in your seats. Spread the word.
I'm a member of Sons of Sam Horn and I've seen what happens when you have a sudden influx of new members. It's often not pretty. I think TruePoint is right, the best way to grow this board is word of mouth. If you're having a good conversation about URI outside of this board invite that person to come on here
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ATPTourFan wrote:In the past few hours, 6 KeaneyBlue members have donated $285.
I am ever so grateful and always happily reminded how generous our little Rhody Hoops community can be.

The best part about KeaneyBlue is its openness and lack of "premium" rooms/content or distracting/annoying advertisements. This is all possible because every year different members make donations to support the site and the team who helps keep it a great place to discuss University of Rhode Island Basketball and other topics.
I feel like all the work that is done to police/monitor/maintain this forum on a daily basis often gets overlooked (I'm certainly guilty of this). Thank you, ATP et al, for keeping this a fun and engaging community.
7 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I admit this is the best board of them all. I have to come here at least once per day to get all of the updated info. Definitely can't live without it
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This has always been a donated site to keep the lights on and make sure ATP isn't footing the bill. I've given in the past and have asked on occasion if $$ is needed. This site is great and appreciate the mods doing what they do.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

reef wrote:I admit this is the best board of them all. I have to come here at least once per day to get all of the updated info. Definitely can't live without it
I think I speak for everyone when I say this place wasn’t the same without late night reef posts from the West coast. Glad you are back with us.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes, and I miss Bressler and his strange and occasionally outrageous wit. And Rod, of course.
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

My dad, friend, and I have had season tickets for the last 6 or 7 years. If we ever have a free ticket we have tried to bring someone who enjoys basketball that might be persuaded to become a Rhody fan. One of the guys we brought along this year has said that he would be season tix with us next year. We will see if he puts his money where his mouth is.

I would recommend that others do the same to try to grow the fanbase.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Donation sent. Thanks for all the great work you do and for introducing me to such a great community!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

See, it's guys like Pete I'm talking about. He starts coming here. He becomes even more interested in the program. He goes to his first game at the RC this year. He buys tickets to some more games this year. That's what this forum can do, help build the program. Just think what adding a few hundred more like Pete could do.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Donation made. Thanks ATP, TP and anyone else involved in running the site.
I also think we could donate $ for a few specific items.
1) a keaneyblue.com banner. This could be displayed at events to gather the group (A10 Tournament & NCAA Tournament). It could also be displayed at home games and possibly pregame events at the Tournaments.
2) advertising on the big screen at RC during games.

I am willing to start this off. I will pledge $100 to this cause.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

As this is not a school sanctioned site, I'm not sure how much can be done during games and at sponsored events.
1 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

This is a great site.
I’m in with my contribution, keep up the good work.
Go Rhody!
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:As this is not a school sanctioned site, I'm not sure how much can be done during games and at sponsored events.
Anyone can pay to advertise. We can also hold up a sign (banner) at games. If we have a section (like in Sacramento) we can try just hanging it over the railing. We could also talk to Thorr about pregame events. He knows Board members are big supporters of the program and many of them travel to Tournament events.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote:
theblueram wrote:As this is not a school sanctioned site, I'm not sure how much can be done during games and at sponsored events.
Anyone can pay to advertise. We can also hold up a sign (banner) at games. If we have a section (like in Sacramento) we can try just hanging it over the railing. We could also talk to Thorr about pregame events. He knows Board members are big supporters of the program and many of them travel to Tournament events.
I think anything outside of URI would be fine. Banners at NCAA or A10 games are not associated with URI. Yes, they understand that this fan site exists, but the school will not endorse such a site without oversight of content and what is said I would think.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

If people have money to spend to advertise this site, I'd MUCH rather that money go straight to the Rams Fund or heck - straight to Men's Basketball.

Ideally, someone would donate and have their employer match to double the effect.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:If people have money to spend to advertise this site, I'd MUCH rather that money go straight to the Rams Fund or heck - straight to Men's Basketball.

Ideally, someone would donate and have their employer match to double the effect.
This. All of this. ATP I wouldn’t even think it so bad of an idea to take any extra after the forum is paid for and donate it. Better yet take any extra and use a company match to double it.

Just a thought.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That was my angle. I will post a donations update a bit later. My employer does 100% match, so that’s the plan since this great community keeps giving.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'm delighted and amazed to report that in the last two weeks, KeaneyBlue members have generously given $490to support the site's operations.

Approximately $100 of this has already been spent today upgrading the processing capacity of the servers delivering this site to all the Rhody fans around the world. I will continue to closely monitor the site's performance especially as we approach a period of the season where traffic should reach all-time highs.

Since this huge wave of giving far exceeds any of my personal expenses in keeping this site operational, I would like to give at least $300 to the Rams Fund with 100% matching funds to make it effectively a $600 donation.

Please reply here or to me privately your feedback regarding this plan to give the balance of funds to URI Athletics to support our nationally ranked basketball program under Coach Dan Hurley.

Thank you to all the KeaneyBlue members who donated this year and in previous years. Fans like you literally make this site possible.
8 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Please reply here or to me privately your feedback regarding this plan to give the balance of funds to URI Athletics to support our nationally ranked basketball program under Coach Dan Hurley.
I think thats a fantastic idea. Makes perfect sense!
Last edited by adam914 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

Thank you again ATP for all your work. Even more so as the Fordham fans took down their message board and restarted it behind a couple of walls. This place is a good place, a happy place, even when in complete meltdown mode!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seems the maintenance crew should get a meal, or at least a couple brewhoffers for all of their efforts...
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

You ride the waves and don't ask where they go.........
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Much as I love this site at times, we don't need more people coming here. We need more asses in the seats at the RC, more fans who will hit the road and cheer URI on in other barns, more alums who reconnect with the school (both athletics and academics), more people buying and wearing gear out in the public eye, more people talking about the team and getting excited IRL and on social media, more people in bars asking for the game, more people getting involved with and/or donating to their state's team and taking pride in what is going on here and what more we can do.

Those all seem much higher priority than flooding the board with people who didn't even like the team enough to google "URI basketball" and "forum" and come here already.
3 x