1/20 | Dayton Flyers | 1:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/20 | Dayton Flyers | 1:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote:I think it is exciting (but of course I love all URI Sports teams) that the URI WBB Team will be televised on the same Channel CBSSN on Saturday at 11:00am so that will be just prior to the MBB Team Game versus Dayton at 1pm

URI will be playing LaSalle at the Ryan Center.

This will be the first Nationally Televised game for the URI WBB Team this season.

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 0119iu2857
I don't know about anyone else, I mean, maybe it's only me...but, I feel somewhat cursed whenever the game I want to watch is the second game of a back to back. Football, basketball, you name it... If...if the women's game goes past 1...does that mean we miss the beginning of the men's game? :lol: :lol:
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Dayton Forum... no trouble this time :D ;) :D

http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthrea ... post531005

It is amazing to me how much other teams' fans dislike Hurley. I get that he is demonstrative on the sideline sometimes, which honestly bothers me absolutely zero, but I understand if you're a fan of the other team it's low hanging fruit to criticize. The thing I don't understand is what else they don't like. I'm really not saying this because we are having a good season - I've said this since I first got to know him a little when he got here - it's hard for me to think of a coach I've ever rooted for who I liked or respected more as a human being. He's about all the right things and all the things I care about. In a basketball world full of slime balls and hucksters and cheats and guys who use kids and/or abuse kids, Dan is legitimately as opposite of that college basketball prototype as I've seen. Like, he is a genuinely good guy, a family guy, a hard working guy, an honest guy, an authentic guy, a true basketball guy and a really smart guy. Insofar as a team is a reflection of their coach, his teams here have been testaments to his character: hard working and close knit, players go to class, players graduate, players buy into the program, players are well spoken and good natured, players love each other and players love their coach.

Sorry for the weird overly gushing rant, but it just mystifies me that fans of other teams are so unanimously anti-Dan. Why? Because he yells at some refs? Pretty stupid and pretty shallow reason to dislike someone who is otherwise a really stand up individual.
12 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

His last name gets him some undeserved hate as well. I just laugh at it all now. I can’t imagine investing so much time in hating a person who affects your life not at all and doesn’t even know you exist.

I’ve heard fans exaggerate how he is on the sidelines (which I maintain is currently not that different from lots of other coaches) and then extrapolate that to mean he’s abusive to his players, a jerk to his staff and whatever else their imaginations come up with. Talk to people who play for and work with him. Watch how he interacts with the opposing team’s players in the handshake line and with his own players, especially if you ever get the chance to see that off the court. Listen to him talk about his family or his experiences at St. Benedict’s. Sorry haters (including visiting Dayton fans- hello!), he’s just a legitimately good guy.
11 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Hurley’s the type of guy you love if he’s your coach and hate if he’s not. I completely understand why people don’t like him, he’s really animated, looks pretty goofy on the sideline and complains a lot. I love Hurley but he’s up there with Boeheim in terms of guys who constantly whine about calls.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Preview quotes:

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 15964.html

An excerpt, from Dan:

On whether winning makes it harder to improve: Our approach is real consistent. My leadership style, for me and for the culture of the program, it’s always about that next thing and that next game. We don’t celebrate victories very long. We’re on to our next opponent really quickly. That’s just our mindset. We want that next thing - we want to be 7-0. We want to get our third road win in a row and continue this run we’re on.[/quote]

Gotta love how dialed in these players are. Hurley has them laser focused and it comes through every time they are interviewed.

Berry:
"On practice the day after getting to the best A-10 start in school history: Business as usual. Same thing - film, scout on Dayton, get some shots up, more scout, free throws. Everything is just routine."

All business baby. And there's plenty of motivation for the W here, as Hurley indicates...

"I just know that these guys are incredibly hungry to beat a Dayton team because we haven’t beaten Dayton in a little bit."

Let's make it 7-0 tomorrow boys!
3 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

TruePoint wrote:http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthrea ... post531005

It is amazing to me how much other teams' fans dislike Hurley. I get that he is demonstrative on the sideline sometimes, which honestly bothers me absolutely zero, but I understand if you're a fan of the other team it's low hanging fruit to criticize. The thing I don't understand is what else they don't like. I'm really not saying this because we are having a good season - I've said this since I first got to know him a little when he got here - it's hard for me to think of a coach I've ever rooted for who I liked or respected more as a human being. He's about all the right things and all the things I care about. In a basketball world full of slime balls and hucksters and cheats and guys who use kids and/or abuse kids, Dan is legitimately as opposite of that college basketball prototype as I've seen. Like, he is a genuinely good guy, a family guy, a hard working guy, an honest guy, an authentic guy, a true basketball guy and a really smart guy. Insofar as a team is a reflection of their coach, his teams here have been testaments to his character: hard working and close knit, players go to class, players graduate, players buy into the program, players are well spoken and good natured, players love each other and players love their coach.

Sorry for the weird overly gushing rant, but it just mystifies me that fans of other teams are so unanimously anti-Dan. Why? Because he yells at some refs? Pretty stupid and pretty shallow reason to dislike someone who is otherwise a really stand up individual.
I agree wholeheartedly with all of your sentiments here. Problem is, most fans don't know about any of this...they only know what they see on the sidelines. I certainly couldn't tell you much about the other A10 coaches. Maybe a little about McKillop, having lived near Davidson for a while, but that's about it. Like josephski states, he seems to be one of those guys you'd go to war for if he's on your side, but from the other side (not knowing much about the man, his character, etc., just what you see in-game from him), I could see disliking him.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

OP updated for previews and vegas line.

Thanks to all who posted links.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Go Rhody!
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

A coach wants to use every tool in the box and working the refs works. Now there are lots of styles to doing this that are dictated from personality. Hurleys attitude is what makes our team relentless. They are jealous.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

GAME DAY!!!!!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This nugget from DiSano's article says it all about our tenacious, hellacious D:

UMass sophomore guard Luwane Pipkins was named the National Player of the Week and riding high entering Wednesday’s contest against the Rams. He scored 44 points last week against a defensive-minded coach/team in the La Salle Explorers… and averaging 25.5 points after the half in his last few contests. Against Rhode Island, Pipkins sputtered to 5-17 shooting and 4 turnovers, for a volume-shooting-aided 13 points. His mate, promising freshman Carl Pierre was just 1-5 from the floor.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is not limited to just Dayton. Fans for nearly every A-10 team regularly hate on Hurley and use all sorts of nasty terms. It is pretty common and seems to be quite acceptable for these other fan-bases.

These other fans are really one dimensional and only see one aspect of Dan - his game sideline behavior. They ignore all other aspects of the man. They do not credit him for running a clean program, give him little to no credit for the program's success, assign him no props for his recruiting (all done off his last name according to them), and completely ignore his relationships with his players. I doubt any of them would even know that in this era of transfers, Dan has had ZERO players leave the program the last two seasons. That is not the case at nearly all the other A-10 schools. Yet, I think the ill-informed fans across the A-10 would be shocked to hear this as it does not fit their false narrative. They all have the preconception that Dan is a complete maniac in all he does. They just assume he must be like that with his players. The irony of course is that while A-10 fans have been all over Dan in recent years, they completely missed the fact that there was a coach in the league that did have a lot of character issues and was supposedly abusive to players - Mike Lonergan at GW. Colonial fans were like other A-10 fans attacking Hurley while the real problem coach went undetected right under their nose at Foggy Bottom.

It is rather strange reading the intense hatred from other fans toward Dan. It is a bit unnatural, obsessive, petty, and very childlike. Very odd behavior on their part that cannot easily be explained. My own personal feeling is that do not want to admit that Hurley has made such great strides. There is a hint of jealousy in their attitude toward him and it appears to make them feel better by ignoring that and instead heap hate on him. These fans could keep an army of psychologists quite busy.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 - agree. It is not just Dayton for sure. As far as I can tell, all other fan bases that have reason to care (A10 programs and PC mainly) dislike Dan and think he is a mad man. Like I said in my earlier post, it appears unanimous.

I don't think it bothers him too much, but it is disappointing to me because I think the narrative is unfair and totally off base. In fact, I think they have it 180 degrees backwards - he's as good of a guy as there is in this sport and I feel lucky to have him here.
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ace wrote:I just laugh at it all now. I can’t imagine investing so much time in hating a person who affects your life not at all and doesn’t even know you exist.
As post after post continues to pour in about how much we hate "lil kev" and "5ft 1 donaldson"
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:RF1 - agree. It is not just Dayton for sure. As far as I can tell, all other fan bases that have reason to care (A10 programs and PC mainly) dislike Dan and think he is a mad man. Like I said in my earlier post, it appears unanimous.

I don't think it bothers him too much, but it is disappointing to me because I think the narrative is unfair and totally off base. In fact, I think they have it 180 degrees backwards - he's as good of a guy as there is in this sport and I feel lucky to have him here.
I think a lot of this comes from Dan’s first two years. Opposing fans saw him going crazy on the sidelines. Remember all the Ts. Dan has made comments recently that he and Bobby were out of control that first year. Dan’s sideline behavior has improved dramatically. Coach Cox helps with that also.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The key to today will be to defend the perimeter and not let the Flyers get comfortable shooting threes. Also need the refs not call a one sided game. Dayton typically gets a lot of help from the officials at home. It may not be at the Hawk Hill level but it is noticeable. URI has been called in the past for some ticky tack fouls in the closing seconds there which have given UD wins.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

EC and Jeff were quiet offensively against UMass. I think they will have good games today.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The referee paranoia cracks me up sometimes.... :lol: :lol:
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:RF1 - agree. It is not just Dayton for sure. As far as I can tell, all other fan bases that have reason to care (A10 programs and PC mainly) dislike Dan and think he is a mad man. Like I said in my earlier post, it appears unanimous.

I think a lot of this comes from Dan’s first two years. Opposing fans saw him going crazy on the sidelines. Remember all the Ts. Dan has made comments recently that he and Bobby were out of control that first year. Dan’s sideline behavior has improved dramatically. Coach Cox helps with that also.
They were so upset because they had never lost in basketball like that before.
I LOVE how pissed he gets on the sidelines. Makes me want to go out there and yell at the refs with him. He's also, one of the funniest coaches I've ever heard. Like that Dunkin' Donuts feature he did with Andrea where he was giving her hell in the drive through...he and steve make a good mini comedy team at times on the radio show. You just don't hear coaches crack jokes like he does.

In regards to these ther message boards. Something I've noticed is that, collectively our board seems to be more intelligent and in depth than most of these other boards.
They just have basic sports speak most of the time.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The referee paranoia cracks me up sometimes.... :lol: :lol:
You weren't around when we played Stanford in "98.
2 x
KillSteenKill
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by KillSteenKill »

Im hoping they put the womens game on the website so mens tipoff is on TV. The womens game has 5 min remaining at 12:53 so its gonna be up against it
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Same thought. I will be pissed if we miss the beginning of Rhody/Dayton because of the women’s game.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KillSteenKill wrote:Im hoping they put the womens game on the website so mens tipoff is on TV. The womens game has 5 min remaining at 12:53 so its gonna be up against it
Actually, it'll be nice to see URI win it's first league WBB game this year. They're up by 7 with 2 min to go.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I just turned game on and I got women's hoop
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Game will tip at 1:05pm and can be seen on cbssports.com/live if needed
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Ok it was funny watching missed layups for a bit but now I’m not laughing.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote:Ok it was funny watching missed layups for a bit but now I’m not laughing.
Don't forget those time-extending whistles every 15 seconds...those are pretty cool, too
1 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

i am happy it is likely our lady rams are going to get a conference win... but finish your work!

and live stream doesnt work at the bar as well. not all have wifi still in this day in age..
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Game to start on cbssports.com/live.
LaSalle women fouling to extend the game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What a joke then now commercials they should go directly to game
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Lol they go to commercial while our game is being played...

Yeah^
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote:Lol they go to commercial while our game is being played...

Yeah^
Wtf?!?!?!?!? :evil: :twisted: :roll: :cry: :?: :!: :o :( :? :shock:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Defense looks shaky early 11-10 at the under 16 TV timeout
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:The referee paranoia cracks me up sometimes.... :lol: :lol:

always good to have an excuse in advance just in case we lose. :lol:
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Foul trouble coming...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

AKELEEEE

Take that Rhody 15!!!
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

so we have no big guys the rest of the first half. tjis is going to be interesting...
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We sure picked a bad game to take the day off on defense.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Flyers have raw talent and if we let crowd in the game the building could be worth 7-10 points.

Dangerous game here, perhaps biggest challenge of the A10 season.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

With 7:32 remaining in the first half, Dayton holds the slightest of leads

Dayton 32, URI 31

Langevine and Berry both on the bench with two fouls.

Akele struggling to do his part in controling the Flyers' bigmen
Last edited by Native 6 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Why not throw Preston out there? The dude held his own just fine early this season.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EDIT: Ok I guess they did call a travel.
Last edited by adam914 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I just don’t think Akele is better than Laysard.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Refs are going to call everything...... need to play smarter.... limit fouls and stop taking so many jumpers.
0 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

PeterRamTime wrote:Why not throw Preston out there? The dude held his own just fine early this season.
Akele is killing us on defense. We need to see some Preston. Please
1 x
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Stan Robinson picks up his second foul and takes a seat on the bench, also.
0 x
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

be interesting how many players we have left in the second half...good thing we play deep on guards..
0 x